Moving To Bangkok

konangrit

Hi people, been a while since I last posted here, hope everyone is well and as helpful as ever. :o

I've just had a couple of months back in the UK and am flying back to Thailand later today. Being an extremely organised person I thought now might be a good time to think about where I'm going to live. I don't want to live in Pattaya anymore, so have decided to try out Bangkok, but I really haven't spent much time there and am unsure which areas would be best for me. Which is why I'd like to hear your suggestions for places to stay.

Accomodation; I'm single and don't know anyone in Bangkok, so thought a condo would be best for me. less work, and more sociable than staying in a house. One bedroom would be sufficient, but two would be preferable for when friends or family stay.

Area; After a fairly central area, somewhere with lots going on, noise isn't a problem for me. Not really bothered if there aren't many farang there, as I speak ok Thai. After spending nearly a year in Pattaya I'd like to stay somewhere different. The last thing I'd like to do is move near to Patpong or any other areas like that.

Transport; Not going to drive in Bangkok, so need somewhere close to the sky train or metro.

Budget; I'm fairly flexible on this, but am thinking of about 30-40K/month. Feel free to suggest places which are a little higher or lower in price.

Communications; It's vital I have a DSL internet connection. Is all of bangkok covered? Is it easy to get installed if the condo doesn't already have it? I had real problems in Pattaya with this, my area was covered, but they were full to capacity. Do areas of bangkok suffer from this problem too?

Would love to hear your suggestions of areas, condo buildings, and even specific condos if you know of any. Any links to letting agents you recommend would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Konangrit

Don't write the Silom area off your list just because of patpong, its one of the most convenient areas for about everything imo, I have not looked back once since moving there.

Patpong 1/2 have there uses on a lonely winters eve, im sure the Doc would 2nd me on that one :D

As far as the internet goes, u will need CSlox or KSC if I correctly remember what u spend yer spare time doing. Any site using microgaming which includes the whole prima network and a few others will drop out every five minutes otherwise, and the mainstream US ones won't fair much better :D

Avoid True and ToT like the plague, True used to cost me 10x monthly subscription, DAILY! :o

never been pestered once, maybe these rent boys can pick the fudge nudgers out from a distance or perhaps im not a sexy man :o

The ladyboys down sukumvit do however seem to harrass people, Its only the people who react to them what they really get into though, from what I have noticed :D

I would reccommend the Ratchada area, not many farang cheaper accommodation, and you now have the subway, as for specific places, not too sure i always used to stay in really cheap places, not the sort of places ofr 30-40k a month more like 5k a month, but i am sure someone can tell you some good places to stay :o