Venetian Blinds

in the sky

O.K. I'll bite. Are you serious? Just pay the 800 Baht. Do you have any idea how much a decent ladder costs??? I got an O.K. step-ladder which is fine for light-duty work for 2600 at Global House but a decent ladder that I could use to get to my window at the top of the 2nd floor would cost 6-8K Baht. You could always use the bamboo rig like some of the Thai workers use. No guarantee you will make it down alive of course.

O.K. I'll bite. Are you serious? Just pay the 800 Baht. Do you have any idea how much a decent ladder costs??? I got an O.K. step-ladder which is fine for light-duty work for 2600 at Global House but a decent ladder that I could use to get to my window at the top of the 2nd floor would cost 6-8K Baht. You could always use the bamboo rig like some of the Thai workers use. No guarantee you will make it down alive of course.

I got a 'decent' foldable ladder, all Aluminum and quite solid - 2 meters, which is sufficient for his needs, for 900 Baht at Global house. But it still costs more for the ladder than to have it repaired unless you borrow one from a neighbor. Don't think he is trying to reach the 2nd floor for his blinds.

Maybe the window he is referring to is on the ground floor or am I missing something?

The ladder is the name of the cord to hold the slats up. Looks like a little ladder made of tape or cord. I need constructive suggestions here, please...

(The Venetian can still see)

Makes more sense now as I just use a stool to reach the top of my blinds. :D Seems it is only specific type of string you are looking for. Perhaps the person who gave you the quote will sell some to you. Guess you already know that it will be very time consuming if you have to rerun the entire ladder.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about some nice venetian blinds for my office, I just spent 10 minutes fighting with my plastic metal ones when the wind blew them around and I'm thinking the wooden slats won't be so easily pushed around - where might I find an outlet for these kinds of blinds and what might I pay for just a small sized set of around 1.5x1.5 metres?

EDIT - I've just noticed this is in the CM forum so any advice on BKK suppliers would be appreciated :)

Edited by MaiDong

Wooden slat venetian blinds are available at Index near Big C Xtra. At the rear on the right. Can be made to order - so the sign says.

Thanks for the info, are they the thin blinds that use the same mechanism as my plastic/metal blinds now or do they have the central adjuster and thick slats?

Wooden slat venetian blinds are available at Index near Big C Xtra. At the rear on the right. Can be made to order - so the sign says.

Thanks for the info, are they the thin blinds that use the same mechanism as my plastic/metal blinds now or do they have the central adjuster and thick slats?

There are the ready-made, designated-size, thinnish varieties to fit various frames. So go with the inside dimensions of your window frames As they screw to the top underside of the window frame, I could not buy as my window frames are completely filled with alum windows and screens.

They have the "Plantation" wooden blinds which are wide slats, and nice.

All in various shades of brown.

Likely aval throughout Thailand at Index stores.

Cheers

Ugh! We had venetian blinds in the U.S. at various times -- both the cheap ones with thin plastic leaves and expensive custom-made wooden blinds with very wide leaves. In both cases, they were big dust catchers and a pain to maintain the mechanism. Here, we moved into a condo with high-quality Roman shades. I'll never go back to venetian blinds again. Roman shades are asier to keep clean and also easier to repair minor problems with the mechanism. Plus, you have more decorator choices since you can select the fabric covering for Roman shades. Ours are thick and have reflective silver fabric as a liner. Silver on the side toward the light, black on the side toward the room. That's covered with padding and then a decorative fabric that matches the decor of the room. Really cuts down on the heat and light, not to mention the noise from the soi.

...Roman shades are asier to keep clean and also easier to repair minor problems with the mechanism. Plus, you have more decorator choices since you can select the fabric covering for Roman shades. Ours are thick and have reflective silver fabric as a liner. Silver on the side toward the light, black on the side toward the room. That's covered with padding and then a decorative fabric that matches the decor of the room. Really cuts down on the heat and light, not to mention the noise from the soi.

I agree absolutely with you on the benefits of using Roman shades over the venetian blinds. However, vertical blinds are quite suitable for some rooms when you want to let some light in yet keeping the inside rather invisible. Having said that, do you have recommendations on stores in CM that carry Roman blinds and preferably carry other blinds as well? Our new house in CM has a lot of glass windows and doors that need to be dressed up. Thanks.