phuket-1-10908OQTJZKSaxoxwItndWuemPYeoOS.jpg

Maj Gen Pekad expresses deep sorrow over the incident and

promises to do everything possible within the law to bring the

perpetrators to justice.

phuket-4-10908obiYEGdDkNZbsapifCBdNOGREi.jpg

A stern Dirk Naumann, Phuket's Honorary Consul for Germany,

railed against the bashing of a German man, who was rendered

comatose by the incident.

PHUKET: -- The quarterly meeting between Phuket’s honorary consuls and local officials held at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday placed tuk-tuk drivers’ conduct squarely in the spotlight.

The meeting became the forum for the strongest comments yet by the Phuket-based honorary consuls, who urged Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong to take action and bring to justice tuk-tuk and taxi drivers who assault foreign tourists.

“Days ago a German national [Kurt Trotnow] was beaten almost to death by tuk-tuk drivers in Patong. I don’t know how in ‘Tourist Thailand’ we can have the rule of law taken into the hands of the mob,” said German consul Dirk Naumann.

“If I had a dispute for 10,000, 100,000 or 1 million baht, I would go to the police and file a complaint, asking for help. But apparently the police in Phuket allow the tuk-tuk drivers to take the law into their own hands. The dispute was for 100 baht.”

Admitting that the German victim was drunk at the time and had a role in instigating the incident, he reiterated that the 200-baht minimum fare was the root cause of the tragedy – and many similar incidents that never get reported.

An 800-meter taxi ride (once in motion) in Bangkok cost just 14 baht, whereas the same distance journey in Patong costs 200 baht, he said.

Maj Gen Pekad said the event was a regrettable “crime of passion” that could happen anywhere when tempers get out of control.

He gave the recent shooting death of a Thai man by another Thai over a 1.82 baht dispute at a filling station as an example.

While not defending the prices charged, he said it wasn’t fully accurate to compare distance-based fares with local price structures.

Maj Gen Pekad expressed deep sorrow over the incident and promised to do everything possible within the law to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=10908

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-01

related topic:

German Man Still In ICU After Dispute With Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The meeting became the forum for the strongest comments yet by the Phuket-based honorary consuls, who urged Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pekad Tantipong to take action and bring to justice tuk-tuk and taxi drivers who assault foreign tourists.

Good to see this problem being aired once gain. Will progress be made... unlikely.

Because the two places are completely different, and what is the point in discussing the price of taxi ride without counting the metre starting price?

Is it possible to travel 800 meters in BKK for 14 baht?

Aaah ... good point. And where is that meter in a Patong Tuk Tuk ???

Horses for courses. Different place different set up.

14 kilometer Aircon Taxi ride in Khon Kaen costs 200 baht. A little further than 800 Meters.

Go further in to the sticks and you will go the same distance for 100 baht. I don"t see the relevance. Not like for like.

I agree it is not like for like.

An Aircon Taxi up against a rattly old Tuk Tuk.

A songteaw going the same 14k distance costs 10 baht.

In my mooban I can take a songteaw out to the mainroad, a distance right at 800 meters for 5 baht, granted, this is in the 'burbs of Bangkok.

That's cool. I can assure you though that if 3.5 million people visit your moo bahn next year that will soon change.

There's a business college at the top of the mooban as well, and this songtaew service has been in service for 10+ years. If you stay on the songteaw it ends at a shopping center 8kms away and the toll is 10 Baht.

In my mooban I can take a songteaw out to the mainroad, a distance right at 800 meters for 5 baht, granted, this is in the 'burbs of Bangkok.

That's cool. I can assure you though that if 3.5 million people visit your moo bahn next year that will soon change.

Really ... in most places more volume = lower unit prices.

14 kilometer Aircon Taxi ride in Khon Kaen costs 200 baht. A little further than 800 Meters.

Go further in to the sticks and you will go the same distance for 100 baht. I don"t see the relevance. Not like for like.

So ... explain more about this 'like for like'

Are tourist areas the world over not vastly more expensive than rural residential areas?

Tourist areas are designed for two things. Tourists to enjoy and businesses to make money. If you try to be a resident in a place like that and expect it to be the same as living in a non tourist area then you aren't being very realistic are you.

I maintain my opinion that the vast majority of the 3.5 million tourists that came to phuket last year, that used tuk tuks did so without any problems, or any complaints including the £4 cost.

If you are a long term resident, and you have issues with it perhaps you should have considered living in a non tourist area.

How come the farang business owners are quite happy to charge twice the price for their products & services? Nobody compares those to the prices in rural thailand do they.

Your proprty rents at the same price as the Khon Kaen city equivelent does it?

Really ... in most places more volume = lower unit prices.

In tourist areas?

Shouldn't this discussion be about the lawlessness surrounding the tuk tuks & not the price of eggs in China. They regularly flout the law, resort to mob rule, on occasion become vicious cowards, provide an inferior service for a vastly inflated sum (which they probably have to do as there are far too many tuk tuks than actually required so fewer opportunities for fares). How long before someone is killed & I wonder if the local population have similar problems but are not reported.

Everyone can see the problem, talks about the problem, wants the problem fixed.

Oh, sorry, all but the usual poster.

BTB, Pattaya is a tourist place, don't see too many complaints about the cost of taxis/baht buses there.

The cost of the tuk tuk in Bangkok is completely on point if you compare the cost of living in Phuket and the cost of living in Bangkok. Also, where are the metred taxis in Phuket?

This isn't just about a one off incident, as with most things, only the most serious will be reported, others are just swept under the carpet or the 'tourist' won't bother complaining as they know nothing will get done.

BTB, you can go on and on trying to defend the thugs all you want but you aren't getting anywhere with it. Perhaps you've been out in the sun a bit too long.

What I found outrageous is that the minutes from the prior meeting were doctored to filter out all the negative aspects that were discussed, so the powers that be in BKK don't need to be bothered by what's really happening in Phuket. Too funny that the Maj General then said he was sorry about that and will try to make sure the minutes don't get doctored again! He's not on the payroll is he :).

What I found outrageous is that the minutes from the prior meeting were doctored to filter out all the negative aspects that were discussed, so the powers that be in BKK don't need to be bothered by what's really happening in Phuket. Too funny that the Maj General then said he was sorry about that and will try to make sure the minutes don't get doctored again! He's not on the payroll is he :).

Yesterday morning i was listening to the news on the royal radio in english and there is a politician from bangkok who came and his concern with phuket wasnt with the scenery but said that phuket is full of greed and that people are horrible beings and things wont get better untill people are taught to go for good service and return service instead of trying to milk everyone as fast as possible. Referring to the average phuketer who is struggling money wise recently. I was surprised to see a thai person say publicly such harsh and true things.. i first thought i was listening to a western comedy show.

Because the two places are completely different, and what is the point in discussing the price of taxi ride without counting the metre starting price?

OK ... how about, in Bangkok, it will cost 35 baht to travel 800 metres ... including the meter starting price.

Aaaahh ... BangToaBoy you are really struggling to defend your pals in the Tuk Tuk union. Well, up to you ... :whistling:

I don't see BTB's comments as defending the actions of the Tuk Tuk mobs. He's just pointing out that comparing prices in tourist areas with prices in rural or city areas is irrelevant to the thread and pointless. I agree.

The problem is the Tuk Tuk drivers' readiness to inflict extreme mob violence on farang tourists with impunity. That's what this thread is about, not bargain transport tips!

I don't see BTB's comments as defending the actions of the Tuk Tuk mobs. He's just pointing out that comparing prices in tourist areas with prices in rural or city areas is irrelevant to the thread and pointless. I agree.

The problem is the Tuk Tuk drivers' readiness to inflict extreme mob violence on farang tourists with impunity. That's what this thread is about, not bargain transport tips!

Ok, so let's compare prices in the 2 main tourist resorts, Phuket & Pattaya. In Pattaya you can travel quite a long way for 20 baht. In Phuket you pay 200 baht for a few hundred meters.

And your second point about mob violence is quite valid.

Rediculous comments compairing the price to a 'once in motion' BKK price of 14 baht won't help.

But that happens to be a fact in BKK. Saying it's 'rediculous' .... mmmm ... why

Well it is ridiculous because no taxi ride in Bangkok costs less than 35 baht. There's still a huge difference between BKK & Phuket prices but why put in 14 Baht for Bangkok???

The comparison is not perfect but the pricing structure is still not reasonable. Don't you agree with this? If you truly think it is reasonable, how many more hundred baht do you think it would be reasonable to charge without it being profiteering?

OK ... how about, in Bangkok, it will cost 35 baht to travel 800 metres ... including the meter starting price.

Quite so....and why even bother putting in the meter starting price for Bangkok when Phuket doesn't use meters?

Maj Gen Pekad said the event was a regrettable “crime of passion” that could happen anywhere when tempers get out of control.

No it isn't, it is a crime of arrogant stupidity committed by a bunch of brainless thugs who assume they are untouchable.

Start touching them.