Phuket Consuls Let Loose Over German Bashing

webfact

Because the two places are completely different, and what is the point in discussing the price of taxi ride without counting the metre starting price?

Is it possible to travel 800 meters in BKK for 14 baht?

Of course you can't travel 800m in BKK for 14 baht. It would be a minimum of 49 baht and if you were on Sukhumvit at 5pm on a Friday and there was a rainstorm it might cost 300 baht or more

On Sukhumvit Rd there are plenty of cheap buses or the Skytrain. The fares on them are not dependent on the weather or traffic congestion.

Yes he didn't specify by taxi did he?

Yes, Dirk did specify by taxi.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every week I do a shopping run to Carrefour. Outbound I take a 10 Baht Songtauw then a 14 Baht bus, on the return I take a taxi, 95 Baht.

Obviously I understand the system, tourists get ripped off because they don't, I can remember we had a similar problem in London years ago with minicabs.

Complete with mob attack?

Every week I do a shopping run to Carrefour. Outbound I take a 10 Baht Songtauw then a 14 Baht bus, on the return I take a taxi, 95 Baht.

Obviously I understand the system, tourists get ripped off because they don't, I can remember we had a similar problem in London years ago with minicabs.

Complete with mob attack?

Strictly speaking these are two separate issues. Being ripped off is a civil offense, being attacked a criminal offense. Ideally avoiding one avoids the other. Here personal judgment by the victim is an important factor, do you take a stand if you know you are being ripped off and risk a physical assault. The risk assessment in such a situation is based on understanding and experience, thus it is mostly tourists and newcomers to Thailand who get attacked.

Would you venture into the jungle without learning the nature of the wild beasts you may encounter, Thailand is a human jungle. Have you ever met an educated, sophisticated tuk-tuk driver, he is just a ..............., best avoided.

How often do you see a Thai passenger in a tuk-tuk?

Edited by LivinginKata
uncalled for remark removed

Curious. What do Thai people pay for the same 800m ride?

Thai people in Phuket would pay 10 to 20 baht maxi for same distance using moto-dop.

Same moto-dop would charge any tourist 100+ B aht for same ride, Tuk tuk 200 Baht...

Double pricing is becoming a science even more than a standard...

Very much agree with SiamDiver, though I can confirm that beach chairs attendant can also become aggressive to tourist, just do not become as violent as tuktuk driver.

Though many ladies have seen their bags and towels flying in some arguments.

how do you get an argument with a beach chair attendant ???

There is a simple answer to this whole problem: Meters

Meters, or travelers advisory warnings. Take it or leave it.

The Tuk Tuk drivers we never 'take it', recent reports say that even the meter taxi will not turn on the meter. I myself 'leave it' but I'm fortunate to have my own vehicle. What are the holiday makers supposed to do to get about. The public bus service is very limited, hire a bike not to be recommended for families, hire a car then you have the parking problems. I always recommend searching about outside your hotel for a private car & driver, make a deal for half day trip, might not be any cheaper than a Tuk Tuk, but at least you are in a comfortable air-con car and the driver will take you back to the start point in the price.

Again, pretty simple. If they don't want to turn on the meter, don't get in.

It's happened to me in BKK also (late night). I just found another one or walked.

OK, if my family is involved and it's raining: get in, but take a picture of the driver and the meter off. They need to be reported.

It won't work if everyone ignores the meters.

There would have to be some cooperation with authorities. (I realize that the hard part)

Has anyone ever seen the movie, "Glengarry Glen Ross"? Perfect example of what the tuk drivers are doing.

What I found outrageous is that the minutes from the prior meeting were doctored to filter out all the negative aspects that were discussed, so the powers that be in BKK don't need to be bothered by what's really happening in Phuket. Too funny that the Maj General then said he was sorry about that and will try to make sure the minutes don't get doctored again! He's not on the payroll is he :).

Yesterday morning i was listening to the news on the royal radio in english and there is a politician from bangkok who came and his concern with phuket wasnt with the scenery but said that phuket is full of greed and that people are horrible beings and things wont get better untill people are taught to go for good service and return service instead of trying to milk everyone as fast as possible. Referring to the average phuketer who is struggling money wise recently. I was surprised to see a thai person say publicly such harsh and true things.. i first thought i was listening to a western comedy show.

How come the farang business owners are quite happy to charge twice the price for their products & services? Nobody compares those to the prices in rural thailand do they.

Actually many of us do compare all the various prices in Phuket with prices elsewhere (not just transport) and it's one of the reasons why I for one have only been once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WHYBOTHER hit the nail on the head.

The simple solution -- meters on the commercial vehicles.

Bangkok taxi drivers sometimes get up to mischief but that is inevitable because of the numbers.

Bangkok taxis are a great service. Currently the best it has ever been.

I once calculated you could take taxis for about 10 years before it equaled the cost of owning and operating a private vehicle for that amount of time.

Tourist areas should follow the Bangkok model and put meters on every commercial vehicle -- meaning vehicles for hire with driver, such as taxi, baht bus, song taew, tuk-tuk but perhaps with the exception of motorcycle taxis.

Hahaha ... they have to put it but who'll tell to use it mandatory? In samui the drivers reject to switch on the meter - if you insinst to do so they'll reject you.

Look like it's very common today to rip off the tourists. New scam at Samui Airport is likely. (Ticket-Counter with SIGN for Minibus to certain areas - published fare to my destination THB 120. Ticket not sold but Taxi offered for THB 500! Sorry Sir no Minibus...)

Edited by Sturbuc

Meanwhile, back on the farm, things go on as usual. I wonder, do the tuk tuk drivers and their ilk even know about this meeting? Perhaps, were they consoled by some high-up that this situation would be taken care of, and for them not to worry?

I still say that the writing is on the wall as clear as daylight. The gauntlet has been thrown down by the Policeman - dancing his way across the floor of the meeting; avoiding any responsibility in the allegations, providing absolutely no results in the "investigation", and downplaying with digression. Foreigners be advised! You're dealing with made men.

Was that "made men" or "paid men"

I guess MAD MEN!