Big Lake On The Way To Korat

55Jay

i live in korat and have been passing this dam for over 12years,i have stopped many times at the resturants along side but have never seen anyone fishing.last year we stopped and i saw a small boat unloading some big fish for one of the restu.i think there are some fish cages out in the water so it might be some fish farming going on.i bet it could hold some big fish.i would have liked to build a house overlooking it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty much any body of water is likely to be home to the striped snakehead (Pla Chon) so you could try lure fishing for those

after last years flood at the dam overflow,near the jail.

cat

Many Thai reservoirs are stocked with Mekong Catfish to help stop extinction. I believe there is some kind of agreement that fishermen can catch and eat the fish if they contribute towards the re-stocking of more.

The reservoirs are so big and so plentiful with natural food that the fish easily make over 100Kgs. It's quite a sight to see them. They almost look like bull sharks when the fin breaks the surface.

The semi-wild fish are actually very elusive and most are caught in nets. It's not easy to hook these things in waters as big as cities and districts.

D7685025-12.jpg

D7685025-13.jpg

Not that I'd keep one, but how do Mekong catfish taste?

They are on the menu in most Lao restaurants.(Not sure about north Thai provinces too?) I didn't want to try it and I imagine you wouldn't know anyway due to all the extra spices and flavours added to the food.

They are probably just like the Sawaii and I know sawaii has been passed off in the UK as cod on the sly(cheaper). People have realized the difference and reported it. Masses of sawaii are shipped from Vietnam.

My guess is a fairly plain tasteless white meat but just a guess. I've not tried sawaii either.