Goodbye

sunholidaysun1

I have been part of Thai-visa for a many a year and now I have decided to say goodbye to you all.

At times it has been fun , sometimes serious and sometimes a little bit sad and sadly even though most of the threads in the past have been good spirited and well meaning and genuine, I no longer feel part of this group who live here in Chiang Rai. It is sad that so many feel that they know the place in such a short time and can help others to the full.

I wish you all good luck in living here and hope that in time you will understand what this place is , rather than bleet on about - mostly nothing.

I am relinquishing my membership and will no longer participate.

Choc-De

Sun.

I think OP is possibly mistaken in assuming that length of TV membership equals knowledge of CR or Thailand. The thing I like about this forum is the lack of anti-Thai ravings that are endemic in some of the other forums. The think I like least about it is the obsession with hamburgers ;-)

Sorry to see you go. I'm sure your contributions here have helped many people and though we cannot all agree all of the time, for the most part, we in Chiang rai forum are quite a civilized bunch.

Why not just take a break for a while and when you feel like it, add an odd post or two.

Post made at 2.30am don't always hold up in the cold (or warm as it is today) light of day.

The decision may be reconsidered after a few coffees and an aspirin.

People here get on my wick sometimes but one of the things every member has the right to do is not post.

Many members drop out for a few days, weeks, months... no problem, we're all expendable.

It's only a forum after all.

Sorry to see you go. I'm sure your contributions here have helped many people and though we cannot all agree all of the time, for the most part, we in Chiang rai forum are quite a civilized bunch.

Why not just take a break for a while and when you feel like it, add an odd post or two.

That's what I'm doing :)

Things like forums have cycles, as does life in general, a bit of variety does one the world of good.

I've found this place to be very informative and mostly friendly. Sometimes it's good to take a break and take stock of things.

After all, as someone just said, it's only a forum!

Cheers,

Biff

Everyone has their own experiences and their own opinions and knowledge of the Chiang Rai area.

You never know who is the person behind the moniker name.

Don't think you know a person's experience or knowledge based on their time in TV.

We all hang in different circles.

Everyone has their own experiences and their own opinions and knowledge of the Chiang Rai area.

You never know who is the person behind the moniker name.

Don't think you know a person's experience or knowledge based on their time in TV.

We all hang in different circles.

This is so true, I know people who boast of 30 years in Thailand but have never ventured further than Pattaya.

Sure they may have acquired fluency in bargirlese and know where the best pizza on Beach Road can be found but someone with only a few years travelling around would know a lot more about the customs and country.

I have a theory about this and it's to do with new found self esteem associated with a new relationship that takes the smallest questioning of one's opinion as a mortal insult.

Well thanks to sun for starting a thread that seems to have woken a few users up. But really TV is not so representative, there are maybe 500,000 farang expats here, maybe 20,000 active TV users, 4,000 or so dedicated enough to answer the user survey. And around 15,000,000 tourists, not all farang of course. I've spent a lot of time travelling, though only a few years in Thailand, so there are many people here with more years in TL than me. But what really shocked me, and I'm not joking, is how few on TV seem to embrace or enjoy Thai culture. I travel to learn, but (ok this might sound sarcastic) the main thing I'm "learning" from these forums is how displaced the foreigners feel in TL, how they're scared to explore outside of their bubble.

No negative intentions B) but the meaning of the latter part of the OP eludes me.

I think he's trying to say he's seen the light or something. !? reached a higher plain. !?

A higher consciousness or a higher Bar stool. :unsure:

Maybe he found the perfect Donner Kebab ?

maybe he's going out in a Blaze of Glory

I predict that the OP will be back, either as his current nickname or a new one. In my experience, posters who really want to leave a forum simply leave .. no announcement, no parting shots. Many announce their exit in hopes of being encouraged to stay.

On another note, klikster has been asked to leave the CR forum by at least 4 other members. ;)

Hold out until it's a dozen then ask for money.:)

I predict that the OP will be back, either as his current nickname or a new one. In my experience, posters who really want to leave a forum simply leave .. no announcement, no parting shots. Many announce their exit in hopes of being encouraged to stay.

On another note, klikster has been asked to leave the CR forum by at least 4 other members. ;)

No negative intentions B) but the meaning of the latter part of the OP eludes me.

I think he's trying to say he's seen the light or something. !? reached a higher plain. !?

A higher consciousness or a higher Bar stool. :unsure:

Maybe he found the perfect Donner Kebab ?

maybe he's going out in a Blaze of Glory

Yep, think you nailed it. I'm jealous now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The poster referred to considers himself better informed on Chiang Rai than most and treats differing opinions with open contempt.

Subsequently his current inability to avoid the forum after threatening to do so is causing some amusement among people he's offended in the past.

Come back sunholidaysun1, everyone has a place here, even silly old buggers like ourselves. :lol: