:New Income Affadavit

As with everything at immigration it depends on local policy.

As always it varies from Office to Office but it would seem by some threads here the US Affidavit alone wont cut it anymore, they are asking for financial proof to back it up, statements etc.

You may want to read this:

Edited by CharlieH

I need to clarify that I am under the assumption that I can get a consecutive 1 year Retirement Extension off the one I am on now, without jumping through the hoop of starting over with a Non-Imm.-O visa again.

If I am wrong about this i hope someone will let me know.

Thanks,

Seejo

So from the last posts, I can indeed get consecutive Retirement Extensions off the previous one (no Non-IMM-O required each time) until and unless that chain is broken somehow - I just have to get a new Income Affadavit each year, right?

I read the link posted by CharlieH, but as i read it it is still talking about the other embassies (other than the U.S., Australia, etc), and the Affadavit is still accepted with nothing more being required Are there any other comments on this?.

SeeJo

So from the last posts, I can indeed get consecutive Retirement Extensions off the previous one (no Non-IMM-O required each time) until and unless that chain is broken somehow - I just have to get a new Income Affadavit each year, right?

I read the link posted by CharlieH, but as i read it it is still talking about the other embassies (other than the U.S., Australia, etc), and the Affadavit is still accepted with nothing more being required Are there any other comments on this?.

SeeJo

Yes you can get consecutive extensions. Remember should you wish to take a trip out of Thailand to get a re-entry permit this keeps the extension alive.

What they are saying is some guys have been asked to show supporting evidence along with the affadavit letter from your Embassy. So be prepared, take the evidence but only show if asked.

As long as you apply before your current extension of stay ends you do not need a new visa entry. Apply during the last 30 days of stay (do a couple of weeks early as you do not lose any time).

There has not been any apparent difference in Embassy letter procedure from previous years or between nationalities. When they have a reason to check, or the stars are in alignment, they do so but in most cases they do not.

We live in Chiang Mai and have done retirement extensions for several years. Yes, they want a new income letter every time. I seem to remember them keeping the income letter, making it impossible to even think about using one a year old. Somewhere I've read that the income letter shouldn't be more than a month old when you go in for your extension at the Immigration office.

And while there has been much hand-wringing and moaning about Immigration maybe asking Americans to provide more proof on income beyond the letter from the Consulate, there have been no first-hand reports of anyone actually being challenged at CM Immigration office, beyond casual inquiry. Really simple stuff like asking how much is your monthly income and what is the source, just to see if you can answer quickly and give a number identical to the one on your Am Consulate letter.

Did you know you can now book your appointment for visa extensions on-line, similar to the way you HAVE to book an appointment with the American Consulate. Here is a thread about how to book on-line with Chiang Mai Immigration:

As long as you apply before your current extension of stay ends you do not need a new visa entry.

I'm curious how long they will let you "overstay" (i.e. stay after your current extension of stay ends) before they require you to re-start the process with a new visa.

A couple years ago I screwed up and applied for a new extension a couple (I think it was three?) days after my old extension had expired, and they (Jomtien Immigrations) simply charged me for an overstay and then processed the new extension as if the chain had not been broken.

Or, is this a grey area where it is totally up to the local officer processing it?

FYI & FWIW, for those keeping tally of locations which require supporting documentation of the US Embassy letter of income, Hua Hin does not. They accepted my letter at face value last week.

For non-workday as this case is there is no restriction and you can obtain the next day immigration is open. For normal procrastination of being late not due to holidays it will be up to the office involved it would appear. Most seem to currently allow a short overstay but expect that will depend on the applicants attitude to some degree.

I seem to have my concerns all addressed. I'm Chiang Mai bound....

Thanks to all,

SeeJo

Be sure to go on-line and book your appointment at the American Consulate before you come to Chiang Mai. Right now, they're booked up until next week. Actually that's not too bad. I've seen them booked up three weeks in advance during periods with many holidays. You can't just walk in and wait for service like you can at the Thai Immigration office in Chiang Mai.

Edited by NancyL