Phuket Taxi Mob Beats Driver In Broad Daylight

webfact

Funny to see this (although not so unlikely I suppose) right after reading another article about the dangers of Phuket;

http://travelinasia....hub/Phuket-Safe

Aside from that and back to creating a website dedicated to "The Dangers of Phuket"... Sure, Thailand can "try" to block it, but most people considering going to Phuket aren't in Thailand. There is nothing Thailand can do to stop those people from seeing the real Phuket if that website was created.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people go to phuket?sick.gif

Because it is a very nice place with lots of things to see and do.

As the editor of another news source said: "It would be a shame to overstate the scale of the problem. The vast majority of people have a wonderful time on holiday on Phuket. But while there is a lawless element among the tuk-tuk drivers and jet-ski operators - and now, apparently, motorcycle hirers - Phuket will suffer. Incidents of intimidation, violence and fraud should not happen on Phuket."

Thank You for your learned opinion, Mr Editor ! I' m all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. I just took a three week trip to the place two months ago, guess I went at a bad time. As I recall there were two murders while I was there, Tourists were being preyed upon and scammed not just by Jet ski operators and baht buses, but most every other business in Patong. The streets are unsafe, there is absolutely no respect for Westerners whatsoever and the place is generally a tropical vacation nightmare. Makes Pattaya look like Monaco. I just retired from dealing with loser Gangs for 30 years in Los Angeles and you have the kahona's to say it's a safe place ? GET REAL ......

The Phuket Government and Police have no interest is solving this problem. Their pockets are lined with payoff money from all the scams in Phuket. If you are planning on coming to Thailand I would suggest you change yuour plans and go to somewhere cicilized, like inside a volcano. You have a better chance of going home unhurt. " Land of Smiles" only when your wallet is out. Miracle Thailand, it will be a miracle if anyone comes next year. This is the OK corral all over again in the 21st century.

You are right. I went and talked this evening to my long time friend who employes the driver who was beaten. He told me his drivers had been threatened many times before, but this time they went too far. He told his driver to go and make a police report, he met him there. The duty officer said that it was Sunday, so not many officers were on duty, so maybe we will go look tomorrow. My friend said oh really, then I will call the press and tell them what happened. That got the officers attention, especially when the press showed up. Then pictures of the taxi drivers were brought out for identification. Three out of the five were pointed out. The officer said they would send letters to the drivers to come in and talk to the police. I said to him; <deleted>, why don't the police don't just go and pick them up? So with no action was taken by the police, the news hit the press. The driver has now been contacted by the police to try and settle the matter by paying him some money for his injuries and the damage to the car. They said no, it's not about money, I want the Thai law enforced, do your job! While I was talking with him, the Phuket Gazette called wanting an interview. He said you can interview me by phone. They told him to watch his back. I wished him the best and good timing going to the press, especially with all the recent news about the lawless drivers that are a plague on this island.

Statistically it is not a very nice place as elsewhere statistically these things do not happen.

And they do not happen anywhere the numbers that ocurr in one small place called Phuket.

And nothing is ever done to stop it.

Fact.

Next.

oh, and by the way ......................... just how often do you get Ambassadors ever stating the obvious, publically and with such clarity?

phuket is a violent lawless place [same as Pattaya] where money matters ............ and little else.

I was in Phuket 3 months ago. I found it not nice at all. Most of the people in Phuket are gangs.

they are not polite, rude and unfriendly. I was kicked by a little boy who was about 8 yrs old , although he did not kick me on purpose, yet it was painful and left a big red mark on my leg. I told the boy he should say sorry but he denied what he did and two men turned up and told me so what, if we want to kick you , we kick you. They were selling things by the road. And next day I ask one of the tuk tuk the price to the airport from Patrong, he told me 600 baht, I said I have to think about it, he was so angry, I left very quickly. I could take a air-con taxi for 500 baht.

Everything is expensive and not nice. The food is really bad there.

I think that most of the other Thai's love to see the Tourists being ripped off! Therein lies the problem. Those doing the ripping off are not being scorned by their fellow countrymen, but rather are being patted on their backs and having their hands shaken. Those Thais of little education have little or no concept of the damage to tourism, and financial damage to all and sundry.

Do really think most Thais love this kind of behavior? I would say you don't know many Thais or the ones you know are gang members or in government!

Oh sure the Thai owners of hotels love it when they are apprehended in their own car with their own driver. A few years ago the owner or president of Centara was in a car that was stopped by the taxi thugs outsider her hotel. And the manager who has contacted the news about his driver being assaulted is Thai. Yes all the Thais in Phuket want the taxi drivers to F*&^ up their livlihood and give Thai people a bad name. :whistling:

Wow...that must be some really delicious Kool Aide. Another nail pounded firmly into the coffin lid of Phuket.

I sold my business interests in Phuket last year and I am happy I did.

The sooner the world can stop pretending Phuket is anything more than Pattaya on an island the better. Let it die and will it to the Cheapskates, Indians and Russians like they did with Pattaya. There are plenty of other nice beaches in Thailand where there aren't roving bands of murderous thugs.

Well put, and congratulations on getting out. I suspect many farang business owners will have a hard time unwinding their positions and getting out. Most of these Issan males need to be forced to go back to their hometowns to plant and harvest rice, and take care of their abandoned children. That's all they are good for in a civilized society.

Why do people go to phuket?sick.gif

Because it is a very nice place with lots of things to see and do.

As the editor of another news source said: "It would be a shame to overstate the scale of the problem. The vast majority of people have a wonderful time on holiday on Phuket. But while there is a lawless element among the tuk-tuk drivers and jet-ski operators - and now, apparently, motorcycle hirers - Phuket will suffer. Incidents of intimidation, violence and fraud should not happen on Phuket."

Thank You for your learned opinion, Mr Editor ! I' m all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. I just took a three week trip to the place two months ago, guess I went at a bad time. As I recall there were two murders while I was there, Tourists were being preyed upon and scammed not just by Jet ski operators and baht buses, but most every other business in Patong. The streets are unsafe, there is absolutely no respect for Westerners whatsoever and the place is generally a tropical vacation nightmare. Makes Pattaya look like Monaco. I just retired from dealing with loser Gangs for 30 years in Los Angeles and you have the kahona's to say it's a safe place ? GET REAL ......

Streets unsafe? Hmmm..Not really. Maybe if you are driving. As far as street crime goes, it's still a pretty safe place actually. So is Pattaya for that matter. I have always felt pretty safe walking around either at night. Typical street crime is pretty low actually. But like anywhere there are places that are less safe. I wouldn't walk around Saphin Hin after dark, for example. But overall Thailand as a whole is fairly safe, especially if compared to large cities in the US, like LA.

BTW, stevenl was not saying he is an editor. If you read it again, that is clear. He was likely quoting Alan, the editor of Phuket Wan, an online news source.

I was in Phuket 3 months ago. I found it not nice at all. Most of the people in Phuket are gangs.

they are not polite, rude and unfriendly. I was kicked by a little boy who was about 8 yrs old , although he did not kick me on purpose, yet it was painful and left a big red mark on my leg. I told the boy he should say sorry but he denied what he did and two men turned up and told me so what, if we want to kick you , we kick you. They were selling things by the road. And next day I ask one of the tuk tuk the price to the airport from Patrong, he told me 600 baht, I said I have to think about it, he was so angry, I left very quickly. I could take a air-con taxi for 500 baht.

Everything is expensive and not nice. The food is really bad there.

Sorry for your bad experience, but many of the restaurants in Phuket are fantastic. You just need to find the right ones. (There is a pinned thread about it.) And unless you are for nightclubbing or meeting lady friends (or man friends) then stay out of Patong. Visit Kata/Karon, Rawaii, Nai Harn, Kamala, Surin, Cape Panwa, etc. Lots of nice areas outside of Patong.

This thread is about the woefully inadequate transport system and the symptoms of that system, which in this case is the poor bastard lying in a hospital bed. I hate to see the thread hijacked by general anti-Phuket crowd, using same brush to paint all of Phuket, as those comments are so clearly inaccurate and possibly lies. I would not consider living in any other part of Thailand, as Phuket has a great many activities available. We just need to sort out this transport issue. There are certainly other issues which also need addressing, but they are common to all of Thailand, and not as urgent IMO. :jap:

Not sure if you are trying to make this a religious argument or what, but you are incorrect in assuming most tuk tuk drivers are Muslim. Generally in Phuket, and with plenty of exceptions, Muslims control the water transport and Buddhists/others control the land transport. I have found Muslims in Phuket to be proper and fair businessmen.

You are the one making all the noise.

Do you have a business to protect?

Hmm..your comment about me making all the noise is as non sequitor and irrelevant as your comment about Muslims.

I do not have a business to protect. My goal is to protect the truth.

These tuk tuk drivers should be arrested, tried, convicted, and sentenced to a minimum of 5 to 10 years of hard time, with fines of a 1,000,000 baht each. Do you know how quickly the problems would stop? Overnight. The toy police are doing nothing, and are apathetic, and incompetent as usual. In other words, business as usual. But, not for long.

Apart from the fact that the actual drivers are penniless drivers its a great idea. The police and mafia bosses could share out the millions of baht fines and be rich and happy instead of neurotic and broke through lack of business......

Hardly penniless. Actually make 20-50k a month.

Tell tourists to avoid Patong, and book a nice room in Kata/Kata Noi. Tell them about the 20B bus that can take them to Phuket Town. Above all - tell them to avoid the Tuk Tuk drivers.

The public bus is 30 baht, but the bigger problem is that service stops at 18.00. And there is no bus service between beach resorts.

I've never been to Phuket - no desire, no interest. The more I hear about the place the less inclined I am to even consider going. There are many, many nice beaches in Thailand where I can feel comfortable and relaxed with my family and not feel threatened or get ripped off. It's a holiday, right?

nothings going to happen to these people, the taxi drivers are members of the red menace revolution sweeping this country

being a red gives you license to do exactly as you please, to whomever you please, without any fear of retribution from their fellow reds in authority

their motto is ''if you are not my red friend then you are my enemy''

this is only the beginning, i will get a lot worse before this country wakes up and realizes what a mistake they have made letting these thugs and their paymaster take control

You are so lost. You make it sound as if the reds are the cause of all of the problems in Thailand. A convenient bogey man? Like these problems did not exist prior to two months ago? The tuk-tuks, and the jet ski scammers, and king power, and immigration, and customs, and the BTS police, and the normal police, and every other scam you can think of are older than the hills, and they were all happening with the sanctioning of the democrats, the red shirts, the yellow shirts, etc. It is a way of life, and NOBODY in government, law enforcement, or in tourism seems to give a dam_n about any of it. While the tourism industry is being flushed down the toilet, most of the Thai people in a position to do anything, are doing nothing. Yes, you can blame Yingluck if it makes you feel better. But, a solution is a solution, and your approach could not be further from a solution if it were on another planet. Which it is.

I've been to Phuket a few times. Those with more experience can tell me if the following is true or not:

>>> No buses between resort areas?

>>> no shuttle vehicles to or from the airport to beach areas?

>>> no meter cabs?

Whether or not any of those things are true, there are enough despicable things going on there, that the mayor (or governor) and police chief should be immediately drop kicked to the next time zone, and some half-way decent and intelligent people put in charge - preferably people from afar. I would suggest some farang take their jobs, but that would be impossible.

BTW, the worst that can befall any tuk tuk driver(s) who beat others is a reprimand. Excuses and saving face rule.

I've been to Phuket a few times. Those with more experience can tell me if the following is true or not:

>>> no meter cabs?

There are no public buses between resort areas, only from resorts to Phuket Town.

There are 'shuttle' mini-bus from airport to beach areas - about 160 baht/person.

There are meter taxis, but very hard to find. Really only from airport or by phone booking.

I sometimes catch the baht bus from Kata to Karon...costs 30 baht. But coming back from Karon to Kata the drivers refuse to stop. Must have something to do with the err local friendly transport network :whistling:

Yes, you can get on in Kata and get off in Karon when the bus stops (much to the driver's displeasure). Bit different trying to get on in Karon, no chance. Only can get on in Chalong as that's the last pick-up point.

>>> no meter cabs?

There are no public buses between resort areas, only from resorts to Phuket Town.

There are 'shuttle' mini-bus from airport to beach areas - about 160 baht/person.

There are meter taxis, but very hard to find. Really only from airport or by phone booking.

And don't forget that the metered taxi's are prevented from picking up in the tourist area's by the tuk tuk "co-ops" as that is "their" turf. See post #1 to see what happens if they do.

Nice of the police to tell him to head off to the hospital and then come back to complain.

I would have thought the police would have either taken him there or called an ambulance. Surely anyone beaten about the head could be a danger on the roads, he may have even blacked out and ran into a group of tuk tuk drivers.

Exactly. Spot on.

jb1

While there's no solution in sight maybe current thaivisa members, who take this so close to heart, can come up with some new methods of delivering their cause to future potential tourists?

I dont know what would work but perhaps a grassroots effort like a dedicated website or something (without bias/stereotyping) that gives the known stats on these events (similar to the accident numbers they publish in the news after songkran). Either way the last 3 years I've been watching people's concerns on this issue being repeated with nothing happening and a new approach is required (if this topic is of great importance to yourself).

Personally it doesnt affect myself so much as I dont have a business here and I have my own transportation. But there definitely seems to be more than a handful of posters that are capable of tackling the issue in a more meaningful way yielding results more to their liking?

Understand what you are saying. But the solutions are there and quite simple. But first, sadly, someone has to give a dam_n.

jb1

I've never been to Phuket - no desire, no interest. The more I hear about the place the less inclined I am to even consider going. There are many, many nice beaches in Thailand where I can feel comfortable and relaxed with my family and not feel threatened or get ripped off. It's a holiday, right?

And there are many nice beaches in Phuket. There are little hideaways you walk down to from a cliff that you'll have all lto yourself. Just head north of Bang Tao

Bang Tao Beach has none of the problems of Patong, Kamala either, right? Surin is trendy, but also suffering from polluted run off . HAs anyone been extorted from Jet Skis there?

IMO There is a criminal element in Patong that controls much of it with blessing of police, if not direct involvement. Kata/ Karon and Rawai are part of this same problem.

As everyone sat there at the meeting of honourary counsul's earlier in the year with supposedly local influential Island officals....(minus the Mayor)...Just about said it all really...He's obviously in on it and a big part of the problems on Phuket...Likened to pi..ing against a force 10 gale dealing with people like this....No wonder Larry Cunningham the Aussie counsul gave them a serve...Many of these 'influential' people do not want to see any valid reforms or regulation take place as it then impacts on the gravey train that reaches into all areas of power!!

I just talked to the Thai staff at Kok Chang Safari who has been brave in coming forward to the media about this and assured him he has SOOO much support. This is a very quiet laid back Thai who wants nothing to do with lime lights and controversy.

It must be reiterated that the Thai's in the tourism industry are equally disgusted with this.

And there are many nice beaches in Phuket. There are little hideaways you walk down to from a cliff that you'll have all lto yourself. Just head north of Bang Tao

Bang Tao Beach has none of the problems of Patong, Kamala either, right? Surin is trendy, but also suffering from polluted run off . HAs anyone been extorted from Jet Skis there?

IMO There is a criminal element in Patong that controls much of it with blessing of police, if not direct involvement. Kata/ Karon and Rawai are part of this same problem.

Why are you lumping Rawai in with Kata an Karon? There are very few tuk tuks here and rarely any police. There are a few black plate taxis here and there, but again very few. In the not too distant past you couldn't get a ride around here. It's still pretty hard after dark to find any transport...

And there are many nice beaches in Phuket. There are little hideaways you walk down to from a cliff that you'll have all lto yourself.

And how much is it to get to them in a Tuk Tuk.... especially if you don't know where they are.

Start mass emailing campaign by passing around an electronic petition that gets everyone's emails attached and then blast the foreign travel agencies, travel bureaus, embassies, hotel chains, and especially all travel magazines and travel departments of major news agencies. Basically start calling for a boycott of the island.

While there's no solution in sight maybe current thaivisa members, who take this so close to heart, can come up with some new methods of delivering their cause to future potential tourists?

I dont know what would work but perhaps a grassroots effort like a dedicated website or something (without bias/stereotyping) that gives the known stats on these events (similar to the accident numbers they publish in the news after songkran). Either way the last 3 years I've been watching people's concerns on this issue being repeated with nothing happening and a new approach is required (if this topic is of great importance to yourself).

Personally it doesnt affect myself so much as I dont have a business here and I have my own transportation. But there definitely seems to be more than a handful of posters that are capable of tackling the issue in a more meaningful way yielding results more to their liking?

Start mass emailing campaign by passing around an electronic petition that gets everyone's emails attached and then blast the foreign travel agencies, travel bureaus, embassies, hotel chains, and especially all travel magazines and travel departments of major news agencies. Basically start calling for a boycott of the island.

Excellent Idea the electronic petition but it would be a better idea if it covers all of thailand and points out the scam and corruption and violence at all holiday resorts.

I live on Phuket and have friends who run tour companies.

The taxi 'conglomerates' outside most of the large hotels have threatened the private drivers to stay away from 'their' patch or - if they insist on coming they have been told to pay a 'fee' each time they visit to the taxi drivers. At one hotel in Kata - this 'fee' is 1500 baht per visit.

If they refuse to pay and still turn up - they are threatened and/or their vehicles damaged.

The company mentioned in this article is known to have received threats but what is the driver supposed to do when he has pre-paid customers waiting for their trip in the hotel lobby and his boss has told him to pick up these guests?

My friends vehicle was damaged (not to the same extent as this report) and the police informed who refused to make a written report - despite CCTV evidence and suggested mediation instead with the taxi drivers !

The Hotel Manager has refused responsibility for the taxi drivers outside his hotel - stating it is out of his jurisdiction yet his staff still recommend the guests take local taxis from outside the hotel.

I think what the hotels need to realise is, once they let gangs operate outside their premises they are effectively handing over their business to the gang.

The gang decides what transport options their guests have, what tours they are or are not allowed to go on, and generally control access to the premises.

I am sure people in the various hotels are paid to allow these gangs to operate, but it seems insane to me to hand control of your multi-million (billion?) baht investment to a few thugs who are happy to beat up other Thais to protect their turf, and to allow the gang to rip off their own guests with the result being the guest is much more likely never to return.

JJ