Brawl At Reggae Concert On Cha-Am Beach Leaves Hundreds Injured

roly

Just look at the Thai Soaps - it is all women-beating , gang violence - guns - drugs etc yet if somebody smokes they blur it out . They are fed this every day - and they think this is normal

living :ph34r:

Yes, I always say to my Thai wife when she watches those stupid soaps " why are they always so angry?" But the soaps are like that in other countries also. And the blurred out cigs are so stupid and just ruins the movie...like the kids don't know what they are putting up to their mouth!

Right. Have u seen much of Corrie or East Enders lately - always fights and arguments. Last time I was in the Uk I watched Corrie and soon enough the characters were arguing. I switched over and different 2 almost identical characters on East Enders were having the same argument. I said to my sister - I've just seen this argument. My Niece reckons it's 'well good". It's a pity that poor scripts have to be 'spiced' up with arguments and squabbles. Just like sad lives have to be 'enlivened' by automatic weak kind of assertiveness so common in the UK.

Edited by Card

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes very unfortunate...

I would hazard my first guess as to it being over (the potential to market a lot of weed to a lot of people and a rivalry between gangs)

But that's probably the police who are in charge of that scenario...They obviously were not in charge of much else.

Perhaps it was just some Rival towns or schools...

I saw a crazy sight 4 weeks ago up in Ubon

There was a bridge sepertaing 2 towns - and a gang of motorcycle teens on either side taunting each other.

They then proceeded to Joust each other off the bikes.

But not as bad as the Scottish Football hooligans?whistling.gif

Any way bet it gave the Bob Marley fans something to wail about...

Scotland does not have any football... never mind hooligans... went to Scotland for a laugh, came back in stitches..!!

In stitches OR with stitches??????:jap:

Well I heard about this via my Thai girlfriend/wife. She's a Petchaburi girl. But this is the first place I've actuallly found some solid information, in English that is. I find it strange it wasn't reported in the mainstream English press, or maybe I missed something. I think this kind of violence is not unusual in Thailand, just the scale of it, in this case. Most goes unreported. Pretty much like a normal Friday night out in Nottingham really. Well, when I was there, which is some time ago. Alcohol and young men and testosterone, a lethal mixture I think, and the same all over the world. I suppose what is weird is that this happened at a high profile event and the security guys, etc., weren't able to contain it. No doubt they've learnt their lesson and it won't happen again. It does make me wonder whether Cha-Am should be trying to emulate it's neighbor. You know, niche markets. No doubt the dollar signs are appearing in people's eyes, but just think for a moment what you're going to give up. Personally, I've always considered Cha-am a very relaxing, family oriented place. Though I did notice on my last trip the ubiquitous jet skis had arrived, along with the double deck chairs, as opposed to the ring a ring a roses set up designed for family groups. At least there's no imitation Walking Street, not yet anyway. What am I trying to say? Cha-am has a certain charm, cos it's Thai, don't turn it into another Hua-Hin, please. Anyway, there it is, fuelled by a half bottle of SangSom.

Jesus, is reggae that popular in 2011?

Reggae and Ska music are big in Thailand, it really surprised me on my first visit to meet a rasta Thai complete with dreadlocks. And on a trip to Koh Samet I found a bar on the first night with a live Reggae house band.

As for Thais being non violent......................

They are generally non confrontational, there seem to be inhibitions programed into them from a young age, but when they loose their temper they really loose it. When you add in alcohol and drugs all these inhibitions and normal reserved go out of the window.

Thailands history is full of violent conflict.

This is what we call progress. In the 50's we had gang fights, it was fists and boots. By the 60's it was bottles and cut throat razors, in the 70's knives, axes and hammers, by the 80's shotguns, by the 90's handguns. I guess soon it will be RPG's and automatics ... I think it already is in America.

A lot of modern Black Music seems to have a no class philosophy of promoting violence, and disrespect for every one else and everything. Just listen to most © Rap lyrics. I live close to Detroit and I know how Black people tend to behave. They behave in an ignorant violence prone manner, behaviors which they believe are normal. I have also worked with many Blacks in the Criminal Justice system for 25 years. So I know the Black mentality. Their music tends to promotes their negative behaviors which reflects their view point on things. Unfortunately in America and the UK the White under class to a large extent have adopted the Black cultural view promoted by their music. To a certain extent Thai youth seem to be imitating this as well. Perhaps if they understood that the Black culture and view point has very little if any respect and is the royal road for people not to respect you then they would not imitate it.

As spoken from my mouth, it can´t be healthy to wach those cryings and beatings every day of the year, from morning till evening.

Just look at the Thai Soaps - it is all women-beating , gang violence - guns - drugs etc yet if somebody smokes they blur it out . They are fed this every day - and they think this is normal

A lot of modern Black Music seems to have a no class philosophy of promoting violence, and disrespect for every one else and everything. Just listen to most © Rap lyrics. I live close to Detroit and I know how Black people tend to behave. They behave in an ignorant violence prone manner, behaviors which they believe are normal. I have also worked with many Blacks in the Criminal Justice system for 25 years. So I know the Black mentality. Their music tends to promotes their negative behaviors which reflects their view point on things. Unfortunately in America and the UK the White under class to a large extent have adopted the Black cultural view promoted by their music. To a certain extent Thai youth seem to be imitating this as well. Perhaps if they understood that the Black culture and view point has very little if any respect and is the royal road for people not to respect you then they would not imitate it.

You don't happen to wear a white pointy hood on weekends do you?

That is only a fraction of "black culture" you have decided to generalize as black culture. Black culture is as old as humans and you should recognized as much more diverse that your negative and simplistic symmetrization.

I am from Oakland California a very black city with some real serious violence issues and yes there are some stupid ass blacks that act like fools and plenty of whites and asians that imitate them who also act like fools. But there are also blacks who wake up early everyday and put on suits and drive to work as doctors, lawyers, engineers and teachers, raise families and contribute to the world around them. They are just as black and as much of black culture as the scum that carry guns and make bad rap music.

For sure I see people over here mimicking what they see on MTV and have no concept of where it comes from or how outright silly it can be. That is a good point you make, but go to a black church with decent black working folks and ask them what they think of baggy pants and rap music, and most of them would also express a negative outlook on that part of black culture.

Just to clarify my point that your statement seems incredibly one sided, reggae music is a form of black (Caribbean)culture that typically promotes peace and does not brag about violence.

They blur out a lot more than just smokes (or try to). Maybe the blur folks should do their number on next year's concert, providing they're crazy enough to have one again. My theory is that the kids just needed an excuse to get out of town, but they really don't like Reggae in any drugged state.

Black American culture is also Jazz and the Blues, a far cry from the commercialized idiot rap that the music business has promoted in the last couple of decades. Unfortunately, most young people the world over are stupid and easily manipulated, whether they are Black, White, Thai, Korean ... whatever. So you end up with terrible K-Pop boy bands full of baby-faced young guys wearing so much makeup they look like women, yet trying to act tough in the manner of the rap videos they've seen. Or you end up with moronic Thai teenagers getting into gang fights. Or you end up with middle class white kids in the US, talking and acting like they grew up in the ghetto.

Sad really. Nothing can be done about it. Any attempt by a government to try to control this pernicious stuff would result in immediate complaints about censorship. Thailand used to be such a nice place 20 or more years ago. Really, it was.

In the villages I have seen a boy hacked to death, he was hacked so badly his mother was not allowed to see his remains, the hospita l wrapped him like a mummy for the creamation.

At another village party youths were caught with hand grenades machettes, knives, guns, who says the are violent.

Gangs from rival villages have fights every weekend and not fist fights, you have to live in the villages to see the violence.

A guy on one of the other forums said that "Thai's are not violent". I guess somebody needs to adjust his opinion to include people outside his home.

Hey, I´m thais, something you guys have to know about thais! THAIS ARE NOT VIOLENT

(is right) as long as you don´t piss them off or make them lose there faces! Please remember that!

I was reading a bit about it on-line today.

They are reported to have attacked each other with guns and knives and also came armed with battery acid which they threw over each other. :rolleyes:

Apparently it was a repeat of last years violence at the concert.

2v9yb9l.jpg

Police using a neck restraint on one of the youths.

http://www.thairath.co.th/today/view/199361

2rh466c.jpg

Youths captured on the beach.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/edu/199533

You are spot on there as its on TV every night.

Totally agree. Thai TV promotes all of the above. I once watched tv where one schoolboy stabbed another on a bus at about 5pm but hey dont worry the gf still loved the perpetrator of the crime. Turn the dam thing off for 12 months and see if social behaviour improves. We may joke but tv is truly the real ajarn of social behaviour here.

A guy on one of the other forums said that "Thai's are not violent". I guess somebody needs to adjust his opinion to include people outside his home.

Hey, I´m thais, something you guys have to know about thais! THAIS ARE NOT VIOLENT

(is right) as long as you don´t piss them off or make them lose there faces! Please remember that!

Problem is, Thais so easily lose face, and so readily get pissed off. There's no middle ground. It's either calm (or pretending to be calm) or full-on postal. I've seen it 100 times, especially with Thai women. They can go ballistic in a split second. There are 10,000 reasons a Thai can lose face. Take a look at that, my Thai friend, and realize that religion and/or inner calm is best achieved by those who can't/don't get offended. Even a Thai monk can get pissed off - I saw it once, when a not-too-bright farang unwittingly was about to use the monk's pillow (his personal possession!) to sit on. The old monk got red-faced angry and started shouting!

You are spot on there as its on TV every night.

From the time they can sit up by themselves, Thais are fed a steady diet of violence on TV and movies. Sad, really. I've been stuck traveling in public buses, and over half the travel time is 'in your face' loud videos showing either violence or katoy shouting at each other. Sometimes, it's women shouting and hitting each other. There's no 'off button' or 'turn down the volume' button. Great influence. So, every Thai, without exception, is subjected to that sort of pap for most of their waking hours. Go figure.

kiwikeith

Anyone who makes that statement "Txxi's are not violent" must still be coming thru immigration on his first visit"

Maybe these are not Thai's. We have a culture of poynesians in New Zealand that think they are Negro gangstors they talk like them and act like them and drive around with boom boxes deafening themselves with rap and acting like jerks the poor soles dont know their real identity.

I suspect the same same happening with young Thai's sad world its becoming.

How can this kind of post remain unnoticed in the most heavily moderated forum of internet?

This has ,i m afraid, being going on for years, i was at a private concert on the island on Koh Samet some 5 years ago. The top thai band Carrabow (don't know correct spealing) plus other top artists from Bkk were playing also, it was in Hotel grounds which were fenced off down to the beach, therefore paying customers were on the hotel side.

The evening was going very well untill the top rock band came on then the fights started on the beach side, i had wondered ,early on ,why thai military police were there in force, they are the ones who wear white helmets and carry rifles ! It was thai teenagers drunk throwing bottles etc, so it happens.

We have to remember it is third world here, there is a massive availability of drugs everywhere so it is enevitable this sort of problem will prevail.

Solution don't have them, its far too dangerous, untill society can prove that they can be responsible and like most of the globe, enjoy live music, wherever it may be in the Kingdom. Treat them like football holligans ,process them and ban them, if they are to continue trying to have live concerts !