Dishwashers

PETERTHEEATER

When I bought and installed a dishwasher in my new-build home I did not give any thought to the peripherals.

A Dishwasher could need three things to perform properly:

1. Special Salt to act as a water softener.

2. Detergent for cleaning.

3. Rinse Aid to reduce or prevent 'spotting' especially on glassware.

I went to my local Foodland (Ram Indra Road) and was surprised that they did not stock it. They said it was available in their Sukhumvit branch on Soi 4. I went there and they have only the detergent.

I then checked with Central Chitlom; no luck but they gave me a number to call which, eventually, led me to Siemens company in BKK who told me that the 'Emporium' on Sukhumvit 24 stocked the items. Too late I was already in traffic heading SE at Suk 77 so did not turn back.

Your question for today posters is, where in BKK can I get these items.

Have other users had success using just detergent and no salt?

If you have the detergent you have it made. That is the key item. For salt I buy the dried salt (rock salt size) sold along Highway 35 but half the time forget to refill. Water in Bangkok is not very hard. Foodland on Latphao Road did have a rinse agent last time I was there; and normally has detergent.

I remember well the salesmen at Central telling us how easy detergent was to find seven years ago: "any food store has it". :o

Where, oh where can I buy even the right detergent?

We have NOT bought a dishwasher as yet, because when we looked at them in Central Pinklao, the salesman assured us we could buy the tablets in Tops, "right next door". Off we went to check, before going any further.

The rest you know too well! The final answer from the Manager was one of those "stupid fahrang" looks you always get when asking for daft things!

Since then we've searched countless branches of BigC, Tesco Makro and Tops. No such item, and more "stupid fahrang" looks for being daft enough to ask.

We are thinking of asking any visiting friends, daughter returning home for Xmas etc to bring a suitcase full of tablets - daren't imagine the problems and "taxes" that await them c/o the new Customs X Ray machine on arrival at Don Muang. :o

Please, any postings of exact known locations of stockists of dishwasher detergent powder or tablets would be great. I live in Photaram, 30 km past Nakhon Pathom, but will drive to Bangkok to buy every last packet of the stuff if necessary. Then I'll go back, and after giving the salesman in Power Buy a bollocking, will happily buy a new dishwasher.

Beats me who is buying the rows of these machines glistening in Power Buy, and then using (destroying) them without the proper stuff in them.

But then agian, no it doesn't. TiT :D

Foodland, Latphao Road, Soi 95. Aisle (detergent) at left side of store on left side facing the frozen food lockers normally on shelf at eye height in the dish washing liquid area. Currently they sell US Electrosol powder which works well.

Edited by lopburi3

If you have the detergent you have it made.  That is the key item.  For salt I buy the dried salt (rock salt size) sold along Highway 35 but half the time forget to refill.  Water in Bangkok is not very hard.  Foodland on Latphao Road did have a rinse agent last time I was there; and normally has detergent.

I remember well the salesmen at Central telling us how easy detergent was to find seven years ago: "any food store has it".  :o

THANKS LOP, I HAVE NEVER BEEN SURE WHAT THE 'SALT' PRESCRIBED FOR USE IN DISHWASHERS ACTUALLY IS. I SHALL BE GOING DOWN HWY 35 TOMORROW SO I WILL STOP AND BUY A BAG TO EXPERIMENT WITH. I HAVE THE DETERGENT PLUS THE FREE SAMPLE BOX OF COMBINED DETERGENT/RINSE AID TABLETS PROVIDED WITH THE MACHINE.

For other viewers. detergent seems to be the key item. This is available in FOODLAND, Sukhumvit Soi 4 and Lardprao in a large (2.4 kg) blue box as 'ELECTRASOL' Deep cleaning power at 246 Baht (Made in USA)

Siemens BKK who market the model I have, say that all three items are available in The EMPORIUM on Soi 24 Sukhumvit but I have yet to visit and confirm.

If you live in the provinces, think first before buying a dishwasher because it may end up to be redundant. Beware, if you use regular clothes washing detergent, you may destroy the water softening mechanism. Read the instructions thoroughly.

Any further info on this topic will be welcome.

Villa supermarket at Sukhumvit soi 33 sells finish dishwasher soap, rinse aid and salt - all 3 things you need. Not cheap as they are imported from Australia. Its where I buy mine so I know they have it. Forget Foodland as they only stock the US product refered to earlier which is not as good at getting things as clean as the Finish products. Sometimes though, the stock control is a bit hit & miss - so dont rely on it being there everytime you go. I have not seen the all in one tablets, however, if anyone has it odds are it will be Villa.

I am in total disagreement with Digger on this one. Foodland used to sell Finish and changed to Cascade and now to Electrosol and both these products clean much, much better than the Finish brand in my DW (unless there has been a vast improvement in the past five years?).

And why would coming from OZ make them more expensive than coming from the US?

But glad to get another source in this thread as at any time one place may be out of stock (seems to be a Thai tradition to only order after all sold). I try to keep at least 3 or 4 in reserve.

I am in total disagreement with Digger on this one.  Foodland used to sell Finish and changed to Cascade and now to Electrosol and both these products clean much, much better than the Finish brand in my DW (unless there has been a vast improvement in the past five years?). 

And why would coming from OZ make them more expensive than coming from the US?

But glad to get another source in this thread as at any time one place may be out of stock (seems to be a Thai tradition to only order after all sold).  I try to keep at least 3 or 4 in reserve.

My machine is a Siemens European model, and for me results have been better using Finish but I am sure its a personal opinion, coupled with the fact that you dont seem to be able to buy any other brands rinse aid and salt.

As to the cost, I merely stated that its not cheap - because its an import, not made locally - I would imagine its a similar price to a powder from the USA.

Mine is Borsch and Finnish was recommended but I was very disappointed in it. The fact the container had no protective seal even made me wonder if perhaps it was not real; and I was using the full system then. When Cascade became available it seemed to be much stronger and clean better - even without rinse. But the main thing is that detergent made for dishwashers is absolutely essential and not available at too many places here so the more locations we can list the better.

Thanks, folks for the stockist info.

Lop's suggestion of listing stockists is a good one. Let's see how many more are added to the two in this thread.

Gents, if you go to your stockist and find they are out of stock, it may be my fault.

As I said in the thread, I hope to drive to Bangkok (200 km round trip) to stock-up. :D

Then off to Power Buy to berate the bull******ng salesman who said we could get the detergent next door! :o

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

We just installed a new Seimens dishwasher and need to find the salt, rinse agent and detergent. I haven't seen the salt anywhere so I am not sure where to get it. I looked at Emporium and found the detergent (a little expensive). Also, does anyone know to obtain the water hardness for the water in Bangkok? Would the utility company be able to give out that information? There is a setting on the dishwasher from 0 to 7 using a spreadsheet that has dH, fH, Clarke and mmol/l numbers listed. I guess one of those would be from the utility company.

I have used sea salt that you obtain on the coastal roads but really don't believe we need it in Bangkok as the water comes from the river, comes from the sky, is rain water, so should not be very hard. Have also not needed rinse agent but that is normally available at the Foodland I use on Latphao Road. Detergent is also sometimes available but can disappear for extended periods.

Vinegar works exactly the same as rinse aid in dishwashers (sinks and washing machines, for that matter). I use it in the dishwasher (which is running as I write) and in the washing machine (which is set up to run as I sleep). I've only found Finish products at Villa -- and have a cupboard stacked full of detergent. Only 1 sack of salt as the water in Bangkok is wonderfully soft so it doesn't get used too often.

Thai dishwashers generally run on rice, nam pla and nam prik and a few thousand baht per month.

My mate bought himself a large expensive house last year and I asked him whether in his mega luxury kitchen there was a dishwasher. He said he didn't know so we went looking for one. Didn't find one but he didn't seem too bothered as obviously he never cooks or cleans anything anyway !

• 11 years later...

Top's in Buriram, HomePro in Buriram, Thai Watsadu in Buriram, Ruangsangthai Home Builders Merchants in Buriram all stock tablets and salt for dishwashers. HomePro | Thai Watsadu | Global House and Ruangsangthai all stock Teka dishwashers. Even a Smeg Dishwasher can be fixed at two independent appliance repair shops in Buriram. I bought a Siemens dishwasher in 2005 at Buriram Supply and have never had any trouble buying tablets or salt for the dish washer in Buriram. 

5 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I am just fascinated that Lop was post#2 and post #19.......14 years later

You musy be able to tell some tales about the development of dishwashers over that time.

Are they better than a wife though?

Like I said, Easter, resurrection and all that. Your dishwasher sounds like mine.