3D/2N In Chiang Rai

robert10

I'm driving up from Chiang Mai (using Route 118) and will arrive CR before noon on Day 1. On Day 3, I want to leave CR around noon latest for the drive back to CM.

In between these times, I like to cover the following:

1) View Phu Chi Fa during sunrise (ie. got to overnight here)

2) Mae Sai

3) Golden Triangle/ Chiang Saen

4) Doi Tung wat (skipping stuff like Mae Fa Luang etc)

Do I have enough time to cover all this? Any suggestions on the routes (with route nos.), drive timings and how to schedule these within the 3D/2N period?

Also, is the sunrise view at Phu Chi Fa worth spending a night there? I'm a little bit wary here, as mountain tops can get overly foggy early morning, with no views as such.

Should add one more nite to your trip.

Suggest Phu Chi Fa on the last day. Spend the last nite in Phu Chi Fa, enjoy the sunrise views and early am relaxing there. then drive back to Chiang Mai from there.

Day One: Afternoon suggest Doi Tung (just north of Mae Chan).

Day Two: Morning to Golden Triangle (Chiang Saen), then over to Mae Sai Afternoon.

Day Three: Drive to Chiang Khong (on the Mekong River) then late afternoon drive to Phu Chi Fa and spend the nite there.

Day Four: Sunrise view from Phu Chi Fa, then drive back to Chiang Mai. Maybe stop at the White Temple for an hour.

<BR>Should add one more nite to your trip.<BR>Suggest Phu Chi Fa on the last day. Spend the last nite in Phu Chi Fa, enjoy the sunrise views and early am relaxing there. then drive back to Chiang Mai from there.<BR>Day One: Afternoon suggest Doi Tung (just north of Mae Chan).<BR>Day Two: Morning to Golden Triangle (Chiang Saen), then over to Mae Sai Afternoon.<BR>Day Three: Drive to Chiang Khong (on the Mekong River) then late afternoon drive to Phu Chi Fa and spend the nite there.<BR>Day Four: Sunrise view from Phu Chi Fa, then drive back to Chiang Mai. Maybe stop at the White Temple for an hour.<BR>
<BR><BR>I agree ,good itinerary KimoMax,well done<BR>

Should add one more nite to your trip.

Suggest Phu Chi Fa on the last day. Spend the last nite in Phu Chi Fa, enjoy the sunrise views and early am relaxing there. then drive back to Chiang Mai from there.

Day One: Afternoon suggest Doi Tung (just north of Mae Chan).

Day Two: Morning to Golden Triangle (Chiang Saen), then over to Mae Sai Afternoon.

Day Three: Drive to Chiang Khong (on the Mekong River) then late afternoon drive to Phu Chi Fa and spend the nite there.

Day Four: Sunrise view from Phu Chi Fa, then drive back to Chiang Mai. Maybe stop at the White Temple for an hour.

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion! I wish I have more time, but 3D/2N is all I have.

After thinking about it, my planned route:

Day 1: Drive to CR, then on to Phu Chi Fa and overnight.

Day2: Sunrise view at PCF, take H1093+H1155 to Doi Phatang viewpoint, come back down, and then drive to Chiang Kong (on H1155), Chiang Saen, Mae Sai. Overnight at Mae Sai (or Chiang Saen if its late).

Day3: Drive from Mae Sai to Doi Tung in morning to look at Doi Prathat Doi Tung via border road 1149 (3h for this detour is enough?). Reach CR early/mid afternoon and head back to CM.

I've been to Doi Tung just recently but couldn't go to temple because there were some religious event at the Pavilion and the way was blocked by hundred(s) of cars! Also, it was just after the border road was closed due to landslide. Anyone know whether the border road 1149 (from MS to DT) is passable now? If not, I'll just have to drive down H1 and turn right up H1149. But that will be a pity as I heard the drive along the border is scenic.

Kind of tight I know, but better to do it now than never :)

Edit:

1) Anyway I'll skip Doi Tung if not enough time. Can cover that with my planned 2nd 3D/2N trip to Doi Mae Salong. BTW, DMS (and the drive there) is so much more beautiful than Pai.

2) Decide not to do Phu Chi Fa on the last day because I'll be too groggy for the long drive back to CR and then CM. My Day 2 GT loop is easier (mostly flat + shorter) drive after an early morning rise to see PCF sunrise.

Edited by robert10