Touchdown In Cnx

x-pat

Hurrah! After 12 years in Bangkok I have finally arrived in Chiang Mai. Logistically speaking, it was the biggest move I have ever made. Wife, kiddie, two dogs, and a truckload of stuff needed to be moved to Chiang Mai. The latter was the easiest.

I want to say thanks to everyone who helped with advice and tips, especially p1p, jackr, SansaiSam, Steve, and meedish_sweetball. All of us –including the two dogs– enjoyed our first few days in our San Sai Moo Baan.

From our new home we have a lake/mountain view and lots of green. The only thing we hear in this place are dogs, birds, and the occasional car (traffic = 5 cars per hour, Walls ice cream cart included).

Coming from a congested part of Bangkok with heat, pollution, noise, and a 30-storey condo springing up in the neighbour’s garden that’s a big change and it is also a big relieve.

I have found our new home through the Chiangmai House Agency (www.chiangmaihouse.com). They did a great job and they know what farangs expect. I can really recommend them. Likewise, our moving company, Wiwattana Co., Ltd. of Bangkok, did a very professional packing and moving job for under 20k. Big thanks to them, too.

Cheers, X-Pat

Hurrah! After 12 years in Bangkok I have finally arrived in Chiang Mai. Logistically speaking, it was the biggest move I have ever made. Wife, kiddie, two dogs, and a truckload of stuff needed to be moved to Chiang Mai. The latter was the easiest.

I want to say thanks to everyone who helped with advice and tips, especially p1p, jackr, SansaiSam, Steve, and meedish_sweetball. All of us –including the two dogs– enjoyed our first few days in our San Sai Moo Baan.

From our new home we have a lake/mountain view and lots of green. The only thing we hear in this place are dogs, birds, and the occasional car (traffic = 5 cars per hour, Walls ice cream cart included).

Coming from a congested part of Bangkok with heat, pollution, noise, and a 30-storey condo springing up in the neighbour’s garden that’s a big change and it is also a big relieve.

I have found our new home through the Chiangmai House Agency (www.chiangmaihouse.com). They did a great job and they know what farangs expect. I can really recommend them. Likewise, our moving company, Wiwattana Co., Ltd. of Bangkok, did a very professional packing and moving job for under 20k. Big thanks to them, too.

Cheers, X-Pat

Welcome to CM ! And thanks for the realtor info. Never know when it can be used

Cheers, X-Pat

Care to take some pictures and let us see how you have settle down in a beautiful home of yours. Would to view San Sai Moo Baan nice secenary too. :o

Edited by hong

Now that we are in Chiang Mai I got lots of stuff to do. A few questions:

(1) We are looking for a reliable Mercedes Benz garage for maintenance and repairs that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg (I know this is almost a contradiction in itself).

(2) We are looking for a wood shop to buy shelf boards cut to exact size with mitre according to my drawings.

(3) We are looking for furniture stores and work shops that sell or manufacture antique furniture and high-quality furniture (case goods as well as upholstery). We looked around in Ban Tawai, but I couldn't find the quality and cost/performance ratio I am looking for.

(4) I need to install ADSL pretty soon and I have already checked with the store at the bottom floor of Central department store. We can get ADSL in our area (San Sai), but what is the best option? Hin-Net? True?

(5) Connecting to the Internet by dial-up modem via True or JI-Net gives me a 44 kB connection tops. In Bangkok I get 56 kB (the max capacity of the modem). I presume this is due to noisy lines here. Or do the ISPs put limits on throughput in order to preserve pooled bandwidth?

(6) I need a better understanding of the property market in Chiang Mai. We have already bought some land, but we are planning on buying more and I need to get an idea of the price levels in various areas and the market dynamics in Chiang Mai. Are there any publications you could recommend?

Cheers And Thanks,

X-Pat

1. Khun Daychar is the Very best non Merc franchise Merc mechanic, Very reasonably priced, no English. He restores cars for members of the Thailand Mercedes club, (including its chairman.) He advertises in Good Morning Chiangmai magazine, a free mag available at many hotels and restaurants.

I'm afraid I don't have his details here, or I would post them.

2. With things like this I would suggest you go to a carpenter/joiner. He will do the job to your exact specs. The one I use is currently deeply involved in working for the new Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, and will not be free for some months.

3. Have a look in Airport Plaza. There are a couple of stores there offering quality work and a little research should lead you to the source.

As for the rest, I have no easy answer.

Thank you, p1p.

p1p: With things like this I would suggest you go to a carpenter/joiner. He will do the job to your exact specs. The one I use is currently deeply involved in working for the new Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi, and will not be free for some months.

This seems to be the universal dilemma with good craftsmen. They are always tied up at someone else's place.

I have a few more questions.

In December I need to do another class "O" visa extension which I have previously done at Suan Phlu in Bangkok. Over there, they need a marriage certificate, possibly birth certificates of children, and a bank account statement. Can I do the extension in CNX and is the procedure the same?

Can you recommend any good book shops in Chiang Mai? Anything like DK, Asia Books, or Kinokutsya? I am also interested in antiquarian books, especially collectible books.

A lot of moo baans seem to be going up around Chiang Mai at this time. Any recommendations for new high-quality moo baans?

Cheers, X-Pat

CM Immigration can look after your Visa renewal for you with no problems. You will need the same documents as Bkk.

Best book shops tend to be the second hand shops around THapae Gate and in the soi on the left opposite the Arts Cafe. There is a large DK and a Suriwong Bookcenter, but DK especially has a minimal selection of English language books.

New Moo Bahns tnd to be untried, thus difficult to recommend. Good to wait a few years to see how management pans out.

Guest DragonStar

Hi, x-pat...

Wellcome to the best city East of Copenhagen and West of San Fransisco.

Once you've settled down, you'll have your own super-broadband installed. In the meanwhile - if you need some kind of Internet access, consider Dragon Star down at Ratchapakinai...