Fraud Fugitive Brit Arrested In Phuket

webfact

<snip> i think it is common knowledge that police volunteers need a work permit to perform this task, so to be apprehended by one of these people for immigration offences reeks of hypocrisy.

Is this common knowledge ? I would think that police volunteers would be exempted from the WP requirement, but that's only my opinion.

It was discussed in another thread recently, where one poster was asked to become a volunteer and the local police head told him that he would sort it out for him, he needs a permit for this work however corruption being what it is here it is sort of forgotten about. This is my memory from that thread, forgive me if i am wrong.

Correct, my thread.

Unfortunately it looks like the TTP have blown me out cos l asked about a work permit, seems nobody wants to ask immigration or the labour office in case all volunteers need a permit, of course if that happened most will drop their support.

I did ask immigration and they said '' your not being paid so no problem''.

Me, bit annoyed that they want my free service but can't ask a simple question for my security. ;)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a reason that it seems to often what ever the charge. Perverts, thieves, on and on it seems are mostly Brits. Can you explain that? Think not!

I guess you could then say we've been ridden of Ridden.

Simple, this is Thai Visa. We receive news about criminal foreigners in Thailand a lot because it's relevant. There are a lot of British people living in Thailand, millions.

How many Thai people commit crimes compared to British people here? My assumption would be a lot more then there are British people in Thailand. Simple fact is, your line of thinking is stereotypical racism at it's finest.

us kiwi's never get up to anything nefarious :whistling:

because there are so few of you in Thailand.

It is another reason never to socialize with foreigners who are in Thailand so long that they will find their shoe print on the toilet seat

Again, racism. There are so many nice and well respected foreigners here yet you focus on the bad apples and say everyone is like this guy.

Not to complain the admins here but I think there needs to be stricter enforcement on racism in this forum. It's not a nice community to visit when all you read is nonsense like the posters above.dry.gif

Can nobody see the hypocrisy in a man being arrested for immigration offences by a man acting in a capacity with no work permit himself?

I certainly cannot. I would do the same and help the police get rid of any undesirables.

Why do these twits end up in Thailand, as a Brit/Canuck I am getting tired of hearing about my fellow country men running here and trying to hide from the law.

Pack your long johns and enjoy Eastbourne prison.

I expect he'll a have some R&R in a Thai prison to consider the comforts of Eastbourne, won't he? Surely his sentences for whatever here will have to be served first. One would hope at least, although maybe not him. Such a web of complex stuff ups he has made for himself. What an idiot. Full marks to all involved in bringing in and nabbing him, including the guy who reached in and took his keys. Well done.

A work permit is required for all types of work, even charity and volunteer work, work being defined as exerting oneself for a purpose. The law is perfectly clear on this and it's on the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website if anyone wishes to check.

There are no 'exemptions' apart from the fact the Thais like to make it up as they go along and ignore laws when it suits. Random is perfectly right in pointing out the hypocrisy and indeed if you stop to think about it for a second it is the greater crime here.

That said, good ridden to bad rubbish.

Can nobody see the hypocrisy in a man being arrested for immigration offences by a man acting in a capacity with no work permit himself?

“When he pulled up, Tourist Police volunteer Gary Halpin reached in and removed the key from the ignition,” said fellow volunteer Jum Ali Khan.

excellent !!! i see no reason why the "volunteer "was involved!!!

If i was Ridden i would sue him for this

I would say it was to lure him ! Look at the name of the volunteer, suggest farang would you not say ?

Edited by LivinginKata
Reformatted from all caps

"Mr Ridden also asked that the Thai man he had hired to help him to run his business not be involved, especially since the Thai man’s wife was one month pregnant."

If the Thai man also broke the law at the instigation of this British crook, I can't see that it matters from a legal perspective how many months' pregnant his wife is, sad as that may be.

I certainly cannot. I would do the same and help the police get rid of any undesirables.

.. and so would I, in a heart beat. I think you've lost the plot random.

I wonder why Thai police can't cooperate with British police and link Immigration computers to a database that will flag British criminals on the run when they try to enter Thailand. That would keep out most of this rubbish, leaving only the more sophisticated and wealthy that can obtain fake passports which gets harder and harder with biometric data. Then the ordinary criminals might have to go to Burkino Faso with Gaddafi instead which might cramp their style.

The people asking about the 'scabs', i think it is common knowledge that police volunteers need a work permit to perform this task, so to be apprehended by one of these people for immigration offences reeks of hypocrisy. I guess in any other country with an accountable system wrongful arrest would be an issue and therefore any evidence garnered from that arrest would be inadmissible, lawyers in the civilized world would have a field day with this. Unless of course Thailand has a 'citizens arrest' so to speak, and then they were acting as civillians rather in their capacity as volunteers, that said the fact they are volunteers means they are performing this task without a work permit.

I think if you check, you will find that volunteers for the Thai Police do not need Visa's, thats the case in Pattaya anyway, also they did not carry out the arrest. They lured him there and then he was blocked in and then arrested by the Pol.

Stealing money , overstaying his visa , illegally renting out rented cars/bikes , running a business without a work permit , trying to "buy" a work permit ,

telling more lies than the average Thai bargirl ...... i think (hope) we're not gonna see him around for a while .

also: is there actually anything wrong with sub-letting a bike or car? is it actually a crime?

- i'm not saying that all his other offences are ok... i'm just curious why the article makes the sub-letting of bikes/cars such a big thing.

- about the visa for the guy... (75,000 cash in the bank).. is this enough money to gain a visa? (i was told you need keep about 500,000 in the bank for 1 or 3 months).

is 75,000 adequate? or not?

Ofcourse its fine to sub let someone elses car!!! :whistling::ermm::lol:

I'm going to be kind and make the presumption you're having a laugh......;)

I think if you check, you will find that volunteers for the Thai Police do not need Visa's, thats the case in Pattaya anyway, also they did not carry out the arrest. They lured him there and then he was blocked in and then arrested by the Pol.

How can a farang not have a Visa ?

I wonder why Thai police can't cooperate with British police and link Immigration computers to a database that will flag British criminals on the run when they try to enter Thailand. That would keep out most of this rubbish, leaving only the more sophisticated and wealthy that can obtain fake passports which gets harder and harder with biometric data. Then the ordinary criminals might have to go to Burkino Faso with Gaddafi instead which might cramp their style.

I wouldn't trust the Thai Police with that kind of information.

That kind of data is protected and rightfully so. There are proper channels to secure the arrest and return of foreign criminals which seem to be working so far as this guy goes.

I think if you check, you will find that volunteers for the Thai Police do not need Visa's, thats the case in Pattaya anyway

Again, there is no law that exempts foreign volunteer police from obtaining visas or work permits. The laws are just conveniently ignored to suit and that is the hypocrisy Random so correctly points out.[/color]

Immigration and Labour laws are no different in Pattaya to anywhere else. They are clearly outlined on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

TWT -- Thailand White Trash: A farang fugitive or practising criminal.

TWT ... good one! May I suggest, simply to help it roll off the tongue better, "idiot" be added: "Thailand White Idiot Trash", which then becomes TWIT ... thus reducing it from five silly bulls to one?

TWIT in capital letters can easily be distinguished from the word 'twit' in lower case. But it may be a problem with twits who post in capital letters.

( "Silly bull" was my son's play on the pronunciation of 'syllable' )

1. Subletting a vehicle is a civil matter and of no concern to anyone but the original lessor, who may himself or herself be subletting.

2. To get a non-immigrant B visa, one must have 800,000 baht on deposit in a Thai bank or provable monthly pensions in excess of 65,000 baht per month or a combination thereof that will equal or exceed 800,000 baht per year. ฿ึ75,000 won't go far. The U.S. Embassy does not require proof, but I have been told the U.K Embassy does, although the source is questionable.

3. In a prior article on Thaivisa, the director of the employment office in Chiang Mai pointed out that all falang who volunteer must have a work permit. However, he added that few employment offices act on it unless there is a complaint. There was no mention in the article whether or not the police volunteer holds a valid work permit. But why should something as innocuous as a fact stop anybody from bashing a decent human being who is actually contributing something to the community besides mindless criticisms?.

4. Using a farang police volunteer seems justifiable in light of the fact that the targeted victims were farang.

5. It is doubtful that he was trying to buy the work permit. An expensive but reliable and quite legal visa provider might charge a farang ฿75,000 to acquire a non-immigrant B visa and work permit, especially if it is a multiple entry visa and the existing visa is significantly past due; and Ridden's being 58 years old, he was probably already on a retirement visa. He could take a quick hop to Vientane and pick up a non-Immigrant B, return, and submit his paperwork and passport. He would be legal within 48 hours. The overstay fine is ฿500 per day with a maximum of ฿20,000 per incidence and can be paid for at the border. N.B.: Ridden was not arrested for any visa or permit violations. However, they did give the police a more solid reason to detain him than charges of fraud by mostly non-citizens.

All of the above facts are verifiable, mostly on various parts of the Thaivisa web. It took me about 10 minutes to find them. It would seem to me that those who post on forums, especially posts bashing other people, justifiably or otherwise, would have the pride to seek to be accurate. On the other hand, when you are socially invisible, who gives a dam_n about personal integrity? Right?!

Edited by tonypace02

How can a farang not have a Visa ?

I guess he means. "I think if you check, you will find that volunteers for the Thai Police do not need work Visa's"

subletting rental cars hardly seems like a hanging offense

i doubt its illegal, just a violation of the original lease agreement

It might not be a hanging offense but i bet you would'nt like some dishonest scrot like this sub letting your car would you.

Either way this individual is a monumental loser that we all could do without living overhere.

<snip> i think it is common knowledge that police volunteers need a work permit to perform this task, so to be apprehended by one of these people for immigration offences reeks of hypocrisy.

Is this common knowledge ? I would think that police volunteers would be exempted from the WP requirement, but that's only my opinion.

Nope.. clarified by Chiang Mai boss of immigration.

Whats more disturbing is they now seem to have powers of detention and arrest.. Something we were constantly and continually assured would not happen.

Mission creep.

2. To get a non-immigrant B visa, one must have 800,000 baht on deposit in a Thai bank or provable monthly pensions in excess of 65,000 baht per month or a combination thereof that will equal or exceed 800,000 baht per year. ฿ึ75,000 won't go far. The U.S. Embassy does not require proof, but I have been told the U.K Embassy does, although the source is questionable.

Nonsense.. To get a non imm B you must be doing business, the inplementation and requirements for this are different depending on where you apply (local SE Asia consuls and embassys or back in home country) but it can be as simple as a letter of intent / invite or the 'I would like to explore investment ideas' in many consuls.

Suggest your thinking of a non imm O based on retirement.

1. Subletting a vehicle is a civil matter and of no concern to anyone but the original lessor, who may himself or herself be subletting.

3. In a prior article on Thaivisa, the director of the employment office in Chiang Mai pointed out that all falang who volunteer must have a work permit. However, he added that few employment offices act on it unless there is a complaint. There was no mention in the article whether or not the police volunteer holds a valid work permit. But why should something as innocuous as a fact stop anybody from bashing a decent human being who is actually contributing something to the community besides mindless criticisms?.

4. Using a farang police volunteer seems justifiable in light of the fact that the targeted victims were farang.

5. It is doubtful that he was trying to buy the work permit. An expensive but reliable and quite legal visa provider might charge a farang ฿75,000 to acquire a non-immigrant B visa and work permit, especially if it is a multiple entry visa and the existing visa is significantly past due; and Ridden's being 58 years old, he was probably already on a retirement visa. He could take a quick hop to Vientane and pick up a non-Immigrant B, return, and submit his paperwork and passport. He would be legal within 48 hours. The overstay fine is ฿500 per day with a maximum of ฿20,000 per incidence and can be paid for at the border. N.B.: Ridden was not arrested for any visa or permit violations. However, they did give the police a more solid reason to detain him than charges of fraud by mostly non-citizens.

All of the above facts are verifiable, mostly on various parts of the Thaivisa web. It took me about 10 minutes to find them. It would seem to me that those who post on forums, especially posts bashing other people, justifiably or otherwise, would have the pride to seek to be accurate. On the other hand, when you are socially invisible, who gives a dam_n about personal integrity? Right?!

Your blurb reads like a conglomerate of assumptions and fact, all heated up and glued with passion. I agree with you on several points, but take it easy, you're in the tropics now mate.

Thaivisa.com is at it's best when someone has a specific question, for example, about a visa issue. Then you will see some sound advice and common sense, and offered by folk with that personal integrity, which yes, is often faltering elsewhere. I have learnt not to take the rest very seriously.

He even goes so far as to mention the tourist police in Chiang Mai, who employ foreign 'volunteers' who are technically working without official work permits, "please tell them that that is illegal! They need to come and report to me. The same goes for many government agencies and not-for-profit organisations which employ foreign teachers, also for apparent 'volunteer' duties, again without permits." "We're all going to end up arresting each other soon. Authorities are not respecting our department or the law," he bemoans.

Khun Ruchuchai Potha, Chiang Mai Employment Office, Department of Work Permits.

"When he pulled up, Tourist Police volunteer Gary Halpin reached in and removed the key from the ignition," said fellow volunteer Jum Ali Khan.

excellent !!! i see no reason why the "volunteer "was involved!!!

If i was Ridden i would sue him for this

excellent !!! Let's do it.

1. You do everything thing that Ridden has done.

2. I'll gladly be the one who grabs your keys.

3. You sue me.

Okay? The ball is in your court. Ready, .. set, GO ..!

.. and you will be shown why the "volunteer "was involved.

Edited by TechnikaIII

subletting rental cars hardly seems like a hanging offense

i doubt its illegal, just a violation of the original lease agreement

It might not be a hanging offense but i bet you would'nt like some dishonest scrot like this sub letting your car would you.

Either way this individual is a monumental loser that we all could do without living overhere.

Well said carmine.

Complaints mount against British fraud suspect in Phuket

phuket-1-10937KsuIAbDVIYCJriDkxgbViGNpHC.jpg

Paul Ridden being comforted by a visitor to the jail this morning.

PHUKET: -- Fugitive British fraud suspect Paul Ridden has been charged with a three-month immigration overstay and faces additional charges for working without a work permit, Phuket Police told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

Mr Ridden, 58, was arrested without incident in front of Chalong Police Station yesterday.

Chalong Police duty officer Boonlert Onklang said a check of the Briton’s travel papers revealed his permit-to-stay expired on May 16.

Thus far, 10 people have filed complaints at the station against Mr Ridden, Lt Col Boonlert said.

“I still haven’t added up the total [alleged] damages. Some victims lost 10,000 baht, while others lost 15,000 baht. It varies case-by-case,” he said.

As complaints against him continue to mount, Mr Ridden will remain in the Chalong Police Station lock-up tonight and be taken to Phuket Provincial Court tomorrow, Lt Col Boonlert added.

A Finnish couple, who asked that their names not be revealed, were among the alleged victims who filed complaints at the station yesterday.

The couple said they arrived in Phuket last week on business and decided to rent a car from Mr Ridden on Sunday to do some sightseeing. They paid a 5,000-baht deposit on the car, which they rented at 1,100 baht per day for two days, they said.

Mr Ridden told the couple he would arrange for someone to return their deposit money this morning, but when they arrived at his jail cell at the police station today Ridden allegedly told them that, “No one wants to help me.”

“I don’t believe him now,” one of the Finns said.

“It’s not our first trip to Phuket, but it was our first time renting a car here. We have heard about the bad reputation of the jet-ski rental industry, but we never thought it would happen in the case of car rental,” he added.

Mr Ridden’s operations were reportedly not limited to car and motorbike rentals. He is also said to have collected property rental deposits.

One woman who telephoned the Gazette this morning said that through her friends alone she knew of up to 250,000 baht in property rental deposits owed to clients by Mr Ridden, whose rental agency “Hire Me Rentals” is based in Saiyuan Road, Rawai.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=10937

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-07

The move to lure Mr Ridden to capture today follows Chalong Police attempting to bring him in for questioning yesterday over a complaint by a fellow expat of being cheated out of 75,000 baht.

A mere 75k? He should have gone to Samui. Expats there don't complain when getting scammed out of ten times that much.

The move to lure Mr Ridden to capture today follows Chalong Police attempting to bring him in for questioning yesterday over a complaint by a fellow expat of being cheated out of 75,000 baht.

A mere 75k? He should have gone to Samui. Expats there don't complain when getting scammed out of ten times that much.

It certainly shows Phuket's police force as being far more proactive in dealing with this kind of thing.

Sadly on Samui your only recourse is that of violence it would seem. Or once bitten.....! mad.gif