Fraud Fugitive Brit Arrested In Phuket

webfact

I am more or less in the same situation, I am claiming back 800.000 THB from a farang scammer who cheated me while overtaking the management of his business.

I have a work permit, 1 year B Visa. I am suing him now, the process can take a year or two . Maybe i should have gone to the police station first and file a complaint.

It looks like a little journey behind bars would help putting some pressure on him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealing money , overstaying his visa , illegally renting out rented cars/bikes , running a business without a work permit , trying to "buy" a work permit ,

telling more lies than the average Thai bargirl ...... i think (hope) we're not gonna see him around for a while .

also: is there actually anything wrong with sub-letting a bike or car? is it actually a crime?

- i'm not saying that all his other offences are ok... i'm just curious why the article makes the sub-letting of bikes/cars such a big thing.

- about the visa for the guy... (75,000 cash in the bank).. is this enough money to gain a visa? (i was told you need keep about 500,000 in the bank for 1 or 3 months).

is 75,000 adequate? or not?

I don't think it is a specific crime in Thailand to sub let, I would imagine it could be a civil matter based on the contract agreed in the first place, if it says no subletting then it is a breach of contract. Don't forget contracts can also be verbal.

The people asking about the 'scabs', i think it is common knowledge that police volunteers need a work permit to perform this task, so to be apprehended by one of these people for immigration offences reeks of hypocrisy. I guess in any other country with an accountable system wrongful arrest would be an issue and therefore any evidence garnered from that arrest would be inadmissible, lawyers in the civilized world would have a field day with this. Unless of course Thailand has a 'citizens arrest' so to speak, and then they were acting as civillians rather in their capacity as volunteers, that said the fact they are volunteers means they are performing this task without a work permit.

Tourist Police Volunteers are exempt from work permits.

'Citizens Arrest' applies in Thailand.

<snip> i think it is common knowledge that police volunteers need a work permit to perform this task, so to be apprehended by one of these people for immigration offences reeks of hypocrisy.

Is this common knowledge ? I would think that police volunteers would be exempted from the WP requirement, but that's only my opinion.

It was discussed in another thread recently, where one poster was asked to become a volunteer and the local police head told him that he would sort it out for him, he needs a permit for this work however corruption being what it is here it is sort of forgotten about. This is my memory from that thread, forgive me if i am wrong.

Correct, my thread.

Unfortunately it looks like the TTP have blown me out cos l asked about a work permit, seems nobody wants to ask immigration or the labour office in case all volunteers need a permit, of course if that happened most will drop their support.

I did ask immigration and they said '' your not being paid so no problem''.

Me, bit annoyed that they want my free service but can't ask a simple question for my security. ;)

Work permits/visas are not given to volunteers as it would attract people for the wrong reasons. No one is press ganged, volunteers, volunteer! Strange that.

Can nobody see the hypocrisy in a man being arrested for immigration offences by a man acting in a capacity with no work permit himself?

Good catch!

What jumped out to me was the Tourist Police "volunteer".

So now civilians are doing police work.

A strange story all around.:blink:

By all accounts he seems a pretty small fish, does he really merit extradition? It seems more a case of he trod on too many local toes.

I'm confused.

This guy overstays and next day goes to court to pay a fine.

The "really nice" Swedish (?) guy in the other post ends up in the immigration detention black hole with dead bodies etc, etc, etc.:ermm:

Same Phuket, right?

Good riddance to bad Ridden.

Every time he opened his mouth it was to embroider the previous lie.

And the deep concern he shows ................. helping others, Thai man, pregnant wife ................... maybe we should just leave him alone as he is clearly innocent.

But don't over look it's Phuket again. Scum bags again heading there to carve out a con. He trod on the toes of the local car crook mafia and got turned in.

The con's will long continue just without his hands on them.

Next.

Thai tourist police volunteers usually get a cut of the cash they help scam out of tourists, When my mate was set-up and arrested he got done for 50k, he saw the money divided up between all of them. In this case the guy obviosuly didn't have the money asked from the thai tourist police falang go between scum bag.

Gotcha Creep! This delinquent rented out my house while I was on a 3 week vacation. Came back to find someone living in my house and everything but a few DVD's and dishes were thrown in the trash. EVERYTHING!!!! Police were most unhelpful, telling me I had to wait till my "real" landlord to return to Thailand. I can only hope some of his victims get back their money, although I doubt it. As for me, I've been reduced to a suitcase and a cheap room.

Can nobody see the hypocrisy in a man being arrested for immigration offences by a man acting in a capacity with no work permit himself?

“When he pulled up, Tourist Police volunteer Gary Halpin reached in and removed the key from the ignition,” said fellow volunteer Jum Ali Khan.

excellent !!! i see no reason why the "volunteer "was involved!!!

If i was Ridden i would sue him for this

I need a little help here with Thai Civil Law.

Under what grounds could Ridden file suit?

What's wrong with them having powers of arrest and detention. I think it's a dam_n good idea. They might even do a better job than the Thai police. You can't whinge about the Thai police and then whinge again at Farang police volunteers in Thailand. You can't have your cake and eat it.

<snip> i think it is common knowledge that police volunteers need a work permit to perform this task, so to be apprehended by one of these people for immigration offences reeks of hypocrisy.

Is this common knowledge ? I would think that police volunteers would be exempted from the WP requirement, but that's only my opinion.

Nope.. clarified by Chiang Mai boss of immigration.

Whats more disturbing is they now seem to have powers of detention and arrest.. Something we were constantly and continually assured would not happen.

Mission creep.

Excuse me however many farangs do a vast amount of volunteer work in Thailand, everything from helping to care for the aged to working to support orphans. This remark is therefore highly offensive.

Thai Visa members need to recognize that many Farangs are doing volunteer and helping out around the World not just Thailand..but, we seldom hear about them and their kindness...my opinion...

Yes, and there would be lot more people willing to volunteer for good causes

IF it were not for the US$2,000 you have to pay some organisation in the U.S for a few weeks of said volunteer work.

Gotcha Creep! This delinquent rented out my house while I was on a 3 week vacation. Came back to find someone living in my house and everything but a few DVD's and dishes were thrown in the trash. EVERYTHING!!!! Police were most unhelpful, telling me I had to wait till my "real" landlord to return to Thailand. I can only hope some of his victims get back their money, although I doubt it. As for me, I've been reduced to a suitcase and a cheap room.

SO How is it that you are still reduced to a suitcase and a room??

Surely this guy could not have created a lease for long term residency on someone elses house?? :blink:

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

Completely incorrect!! (and going slightly off-topic)

I worked as a TPV for more than 5 years (in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya). I requested (on many occasions), but never received assistance to apply for a WP, and that is why I finally stopped working as a TPV.

The police 'bosses' felt that they were 'above the law' in this respect and that no WP was required by 'farang' TPVs. The bottom line is that ALL volunteer work in Thailand requires a WP.

I'm sure that immigration turn a blind eye to the need for a WP for TPVs, but that doesn't somehow make it legal to work as a TPV without a WP. My 5 years of this type of volunteer work led me to the conclusion that assisting tourists is a volunteer role that should remain outside the auspices/responsibility of the Thai police.

Now, if someone would give me a WP to work as a civil volunteer tourist assistant/information officer, then I'd be very happy to use my experience to help tourists and expats. But without a WP ==> no way.

This is all somewhat off-topic, and to bring my post back into relevance with the news article, I should say that I very much hope that the bags under my eyes are not as bad as Mr Ridden's when I reach his age...

Simon

By all accounts he seems a pretty small fish, does he really merit extradition? It seems more a case of he trod on too many local toes.

I'm confused.

This guy overstays and next day goes to court to pay a fine.

The "really nice" Swedish (?) guy in the other post ends up in the immigration detention black hole with dead bodies etc, etc, etc.:ermm:

Same Phuket, right?

The Swedish guy was in Pataya, not Phuket...

Complaints mount against British fraud suspect in Phuket

phuket-1-10937KsuIAbDVIYCJriDkxgbViGNpHC.jpg

Paul Ridden being comforted by a visitor to the jail this morning.

PHUKET: -- Fugitive British fraud suspect Paul Ridden has been charged with a three-month immigration overstay and faces additional charges for working without a work permit, Phuket Police told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

Mr Ridden, 58, was arrested without incident in front of Chalong Police Station yesterday.

Chalong Police duty officer Boonlert Onklang said a check of the Briton's travel papers revealed his permit-to-stay expired on May 16.

Thus far, 10 people have filed complaints at the station against Mr Ridden, Lt Col Boonlert said.

"I still haven't added up the total [alleged] damages. Some victims lost 10,000 baht, while others lost 15,000 baht. It varies case-by-case," he said.

As complaints against him continue to mount, Mr Ridden will remain in the Chalong Police Station lock-up tonight and be taken to Phuket Provincial Court tomorrow, Lt Col Boonlert added.

A Finnish couple, who asked that their names not be revealed, were among the alleged victims who filed complaints at the station yesterday.

The couple said they arrived in Phuket last week on business and decided to rent a car from Mr Ridden on Sunday to do some sightseeing. They paid a 5,000-baht deposit on the car, which they rented at 1,100 baht per day for two days, they said.

Mr Ridden told the couple he would arrange for someone to return their deposit money this morning, but when they arrived at his jail cell at the police station today Ridden allegedly told them that, "No one wants to help me."

"I don't believe him now," one of the Finns said.

"It's not our first trip to Phuket, but it was our first time renting a car here. We have heard about the bad reputation of the jet-ski rental industry, but we never thought it would happen in the case of car rental," he added.

Mr Ridden's operations were reportedly not limited to car and motorbike rentals. He is also said to have collected property rental deposits.

One woman who telephoned the Gazette this morning said that through her friends alone she knew of up to 250,000 baht in property rental deposits owed to clients by Mr Ridden, whose rental agency "Hire Me Rentals" is based in Saiyuan Road, Rawai.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...il.asp?id=10937

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-07

Finish couple agreed to pay how much? "1,100 baht per day"?!! Cripes I can hire a car for about that in Asker, Norway. Asker, a wealthy outer suberb of the most expensive city in Europe. (Technically Norway is not in the EU I know, but is frequently included in such comparisons.) Oslo being the most expensive city in the world second only to Osaka. ... 1,100 baht per day? ! See for yourselves

"Leiebil" = rental car " fra 200 kr" = from 200 kr. 200 kr = 1112 Thai Bhat (xe.com today) +3 kr per km, but still. I bet the Ridden deal didn't include VAT. More for his pocket.

Are u sure and does this apply to Farangs or Only Thai's

would love to see a Farang try and make a citizens arrest on a tuk tuk driver :-)

Back during the Tsunami many organizations could not get started fast enough because the local police and immigration would not allow them to do volunteer work with out the work permit. This held many organizations up a week or more

SO How is it that you are still reduced to a suitcase and a room??

Surely this guy could not have created a lease for long term residency on someone elses house?

He was the temporary "property manager" filling in for my landlord who is out of the country. He most certainly did to this!!!

Pictures, documents, knick knacks, jewelry, souveniors and my clothes stolen or thrown away. All thats left is the suitcase I had with me on my holiday. As for the room I'm living in, that's temporary. Currently I'm house hunting.

I don't know enough about this guy to make any real judgement, but that fact that he skipped police bail in the UK suggests 2 things.

1/ The matter was not serious enough or lacked enough evidence charge him and be put before a court, as police bail and court bail are totally different. In fact, it's NOT an offense to skip police bail, it would however jepordise his chances of obtaining court bail IF the matter goes before a court in the UK. IF he is ever charged with the UK offence.

2/ If it has not even been before a court in the UK then he has not even had an opportunity to defend the case, it's wrong to presume guilt even before he is charged, never mind convicted.

Edited by LivinginKata
Negative comment about volunteers removed

No they are not..

Clearly confirmed by Khun Ruchuchai Potha, Chiang Mai Employment Office, Department of Work Permits.

However they are not citizens of Thailand are they ?

How do you work that one out

Does it need to be spelled out ?? The volunteer is breaking the laws of Thailand.. And at the same time trying to act as a policeman.

Completely incorrect!! (and going slightly off-topic)

I worked as a TPV for more than 5 years (in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya). I requested (on many occasions), but never received assistance to apply for a WP, and that is why I finally stopped working as a TPV.

The police 'bosses' felt that they were 'above the law' in this respect and that no WP was required by 'farang' TPVs. The bottom line is that ALL volunteer work in Thailand requires a WP.

I'm sure that immigration turn a blind eye to the need for a WP for TPVs, but that doesn't somehow make it legal to work as a TPV without a WP. My 5 years of this type of volunteer work led me to the conclusion that assisting tourists is a volunteer role that should remain outside the auspices/responsibility of the Thai police.

Now, if someone would give me a WP to work as a civil volunteer tourist assistant/information officer, then I'd be very happy to use my experience to help tourists and expats. But without a WP ==> no way.

This is all somewhat off-topic, and to bring my post back into relevance with the news article, I should say that I very much hope that the bags under my eyes are not as bad as Mr Ridden's when I reach his age...

Simon

And it was yourself providing information on the TVP's and the roles they would do who often made it clear they would never be involved in police work, in arrests, in stings, in undercover work, and actions of that nature. At the time I said there would be mission creep and this would happen.

Now ALL of those things have happened one at a time.

I would like to see something in writing to substantiate your claim cos l have been trying. ;) If your are saying '' Oh, so and so said so '' then that is worthless.

I would like to see something in writing to substantiate your claim cos l have been trying. ;) If your are saying '' Oh, so and so said so '' then that is worthless.

Have a listen to this Utube video with the Thai Tourist Police Chief. He is no 'so and so'

Get to minute 3.25 in the interview. When he was directly asked about requirement for Work permit he was not sure, and would need to check .... Truly amazing Thailand.

edit// I have been digging into this and just google 'Thailand tourist police work permit' for some interesting views.

Here is one from http://www.tourismandaviation.com/news-12190--Phuket_Foreign_Tourist_Police_Volunteers_TPVs_

The Phuket Foreign TPVs need a Work Permit to perform their duties

True – Strictly speaking, according to Thai Labour Law, all volunteer work requires a Work Permit. This includes those performing volunteer duties with the Thai police. In practice, no Work Permits have been issued to TPVs because the relevant police commander has publically stated that foreign police volunteers do not need Work Permits. However, to ensure peace of mind, the Phuket Foreign TPVs are actively seeking to obtain Work Permits for their duties.

... who often made it clear they would never be involved in police work, in arrests, in stings, in undercover work, and actions of that nature...

Not wanting to turn this into a pro/anti TPV thread, but I cannot recall saying those exact words - it was more along the lines of my own personal view - that TPVs should not be involved in arrests, stings or undercover work. TPVs cannot arrest anyone, (other than a citizen's arrest), but they can detain someone until a Thai officer can make an arrest.

As for stings, undercover work, traffic stops etc etc, I hold the view that this work should not be undertaken by any foreign TPV. For me, the role of the TPV is to assist tourists (and expats) with information, translations, medical assistance, visa info, and to restrain or detain a non-Thai in a situation where they are likely to cause physical harm to themselves or others, or are likely to be arrested by a Thai officer if they continue with their actions, (so think totally drunk guy refusing to pay his bar bill and running away etc etc).

I can't really comment anymore, since I no longer work as a TPV. I'm sure someone more qualified than me can comment.

I've gone off-topic too much :)

Simon