Movies

ginooooo

Crackle.com

Not available in Thailand

Try www.blinkx.com/ but you can only watch about 75 minutes at one time.

Talking about movies last week I bought one of these

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.

(sorry about the lack of image but after try to up load 7 different pictures I got fed up)

It is a Samsung External hard drive 1TB and I downloaded over 150 movies from my nephew.

Cost was 2,350 baht.

Edited by dindong

Yes, the 150 movies plus a few TV series only took uo a small fraction of the whole thing.

Now I need a media player to be able to play the movies on the T.V

There was a 1 TB hard drive with media player combined available but a friend advised against buying it as they can be a lot of trouble.

You don't have a USB port on your DVD player?

Yes, I do and it may play movies from a thumb drive but it won't work with the bigger hard drive.

That was my idea in the first place, load a pile of movies onto the hard drive and play them on the TV which also has a USB port.

I don't like watching movies on a computer, I like to be comfortable on my sofa.

I also thought that I could share movies with people who also had movies on a hard disk

I bought a A.C. Ryan Hard Drive player from INVADEIT and it plays everything I tried and you can hook it wireless to your computer, Good piece of gear. DVD players are a thing of the past you can get 3TB of hard drive and hold over 4,000 regular movies on it or about 1,000 Blu Ray movies. You can also watch utube or view your photos on it. I've had it for a while and as I remember it cost 4 or 5 K Baht.

You don't have a USB port on your DVD player?

Yes, I do and it may play movies from a thumb drive but it won't work with the bigger hard drive.

That was my idea in the first place, load a pile of movies onto the hard drive and play them on the TV which also has a USB port.

I don't like watching movies on a computer, I like to be comfortable on my sofa.

I also thought that I could share movies with people who also had movies on a hard disk

Plug the computer into the TV if the TV has got a VGA slot, it then becomes your computer's monitor :) perfect for movies!

I thought about this for a while, tried to work out how to do a WiFi connection.

It's on the back burner at the moment but I've been thinking about buying a NoteBook after seeing how cheap they are at the new Central Plaza.

Then just plug it into the TV when it's not being used else where...

I thought about this for a while, tried to work out how to do a WiFi connection.

It's on the back burner at the moment but I've been thinking about buying a NoteBook after seeing how cheap they are at the new Central Plaza.

I'm thinking along similar lines. My 3 year old has me almost kicked off the computer and every night the wife has hour long chats on Skype with Thai friends and relatives across the world

I can't be bothered looking at Thai TV and am too lazy to look for an alternative to the very overpriced and useless UBC.

So maybe it's time to buy a notebook, find myself a comfortable little corner, put in my dongle or whatever and blissfully enjoy my evenings again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems to be a lot of options for wireless.

http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+to+tv+wireless&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

If you already have a wireless router and a PC with a large hard drive, then I think getting a laptop would be a better option than just a media player to plug into your tv.

The media player will require you to copy your files from your PC to the media player.

Set your PC up as a media server and then you can play the movies on your PC hard drive on the laptop (displayed on the TV).

Most laptops come with hdmi ports now so you can get full HD if your tv supports it.

Also if you get a wireless mouse and keyboard you can sit on your couch and surf the internet, check email etc. on your tv.

I used to have a similar setup in Australia with a nice 42" TV.

At first I thought having the internet on the TV was a gimmick (if I want to use the internet I'll use my PC). But once I had it I was using the internet on the TV a lot more than on the PC.

Things like email and anything that requires a lot of typing may be easier sitting at a desk, but things like general web browsing are a lot easier from the couch.

Also I found myself many a time watching youtube on the TV which is a lo more social than trying to cram friends around your PC or laptop monitor.

When I bought my TV last year the guy showed me how to connect a laptop to it but I never took a lot of notice at the time.

I must admit it sounds like a good idea though.

Watch out for a Norwegian movie called "TrollHunter", heard great reports about it and I'm currently in the process of borrowing it from the internet. B)

Edited by sceadugenga

Crackle.com

Not available in Thailand

Try www.blinkx.com/ but you can only watch about 75 minutes at one time.

Talking about movies last week I bought one of these

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.

(sorry about the lack of image but after try to up load 7 different pictures I got fed up)

It is a Samsung External hard drive 1TB and I downloaded over 150 movies from my nephew.

Cost was 2,350 baht.

I just ordered this and what a great price.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/268972

• 2 months later...

Kinda went crazy this Black Friday and bought some stuff that will make my trip to Phayao much better, Got a Barnes and Noble color and Blackberry Playbook super cheap and decided not to buy a laptop. Also got this for $23.00 today and should work in Thailand. http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/08/27/hands-edimax-br6258n-150mbps-wireless-broadband-nano-router/

Kinda went crazy this Black Friday and bought some stuff that will make my trip to Phayao much better, Got a Barnes and Noble color and Blackberry Playbook super cheap and decided not to buy a laptop. Also got this for $23.00 today and should work in Thailand. http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/08/27/hands-edimax-br6258n-150mbps-wireless-broadband-nano-router/

Nice toys Gino, are you going to use them to read eBooks?

Let me know if you are, I have a pretty good collection. mainly fiction, and a couple of other members are into them as well.

I don't seem to get the time for movies, so I don't have first hand experience of wifi networking for movies, but I don't think it's much more complicated than wifi-connecting, say, a wireless printer. DLNA seems to be the 'protocol' or standard to look for. This might help.

http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/how_it_works/

Having spent the last hour researching and fiddling about with wifi tv, I should revise my earlier statement about it being nearly as simple as networing a printer. If anyone`s upgrading their hardware in the near future with a view to a reasonably seemless wifi tv network they`d probably be best to consolidate on a single standard from a single supplier, eg Allshare (which is based on DLNA) from Samsung.

Kinda went crazy this Black Friday and bought some stuff that will make my trip to Phayao much better, Got a Barnes and Noble color and Blackberry Playbook super cheap and decided not to buy a laptop. Also got this for $23.00 today and should work in Thailand. http://www.wegotserv...nd-nano-router/

Nice toys Gino, are you going to use them to read eBooks?

Let me know if you are, I have a pretty good collection. mainly fiction, and a couple of other members are into them as well.

Thanks for the offer as I am an avid book reader when in Thailand and always carry a paperback with me wherever I go there. The Nook will read just about about any format and the BB is limited. Both have strengths and weakness. BB is strong for the internet, can hook up to big screen, cameras, Skype, but limited apps. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/28/blackberry-playbook-best-buy_n_1116532.html

Nook of course reading but much more apps, can use any email account (BB not), better support (can go to local store or call them for answers). Never had a smart phone and have to get used to the idiosyncrasies of the software. The BB came down in price $300 ($199) and Nook Color was $117. I plan on being in Chiangrai the 1st week in March if the immigration thing is still going on at the mall and sure would like to meet some people there from here. They should bring their laptop also as I have a few thousand songs to share from the 60's thru 80's.

You need to look at a program called Calibre which organises your eBooks and also converts formats.

It's a little bit geeky so I haven't worked out all the uses yet.

I'm thinking of getting a tablet to supplement my iRiver eBook reader, probably an iPad, but after buying a new laptop AND a new desktop PC this year I'd need to sneak it into the house and only get it out when the Mrs is off fishing. :lol: