Phuket Taxi Bullying Continues

webfact

Phuket taxi bullying continues

PHUKET: -- Police today were called in to resolve yet another taxi dispute, this time reports of drivers using their vehicles to block the entrance to the renowned Evason Phuket & Bon Island resort.

About 20 “black plate” drivers massed at the entrance to the Evason – one of the very first resorts on the island – at about 10am, reported Chalong Police Deputy Superintendent Narong Laksanawimon.

“Apparently a staff member working at the hotel front desk called a local taxi to pick up guests from the hotel.

“The ‘black plate’ taxi drivers who have an agreement with the hotel were not satisfied with the situation so they formed a blockade,” explained Lt Col Narong.

A “black plate” taxi is the local nickname given to vehicles operated as taxis but not registered with the Land Transportation Office as commercial passenger vehicles.

The mob action prompted a two-hour meeting among taxi representatives, the hotel general manager and a Thai manager at the hotel to resolve the issue with Chalong Police officers present, said Lt Col Narong.

In addition to the front desk staffer calling in a local taxi driver – instead of using one of the black plate drivers – the taxi drivers complained of not having any parking spaces on hotel grounds.

“The hotel representative said that the hotel will reserve two parking spaces in the hotel parking area for taxi drivers to wait for guests and asked for the taxi drivers to dress appropriately.

“On the second issue, the hotel representative said that all staff had been informed to not call any other local taxi drivers or they will be fired, and that the hotel will be strict on this,” he said.

Satisfied with the newly “negotiated” terms of business, the taxi drivers ceased their blockade.

However, when asked by the Phuket Gazette, a representative of the resort downplayed the incident.

“It was a misunderstanding. They were about to block the road, but we had a talk and the issue was resolved,” the representative said.

“There was no such blockade,” the representative added, declining to comment any further on the reported conditions of the settlement.

Today’s blockade follows a gang of taxi drivers attacking a local tour driver for picking up guests at the Cape Sienna resort in Kamala and Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Pekad Tantipong last month laying down the law that no more blockades will be tolerated by police.

The award-winning Evason has long been recognized by international travel giants, including Conde Naste Traveler magazine, as one of Phuket’s best resorts.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=10941

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-09-08

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry...explain to me why the police and hotels are "negotiating" (or rather caving due to threats of blockades) with illegal taxi's?

By now we all know the answer.

In case anyone isn't aware, the "back plate" taxi's are all paying members of the same "organizations" as the tuk tuks(Patong co-op, Kata/Karon co-op etc.) Refereed to by many as mafia. A large segment of the co-ops fleets are unlicensed, unregulated, not tax paying black taxi's. A real taxi has a green plate. Never use one with a regular passenger plate, black lettering on white background. Those are black taxi's. But in Phuket it is more important to be a member of one of the co-ops, and pay protection money to them, than to get licensed with the government. Not following government rules leads to fines. Not following co-op rules leads to damaged taxi's, threats and violence. This is why the illegal taxi's have a representative. These guys are untouchable. No other government in world would allow an island to be taken hostage by an organized criminal element like this. Tune in tomorrow for the next beating, blockade or scam. Becoming almost a daily thing.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

it's not a new 'issue' - Nov 2009 we had a single woman friend stay with us in Chalong, from there she had booked herself a few days of luxury at a resort hotel in Karon before flying out.

Being aware of the risks for a single woman traveling alone, and not wanting her holiday spoilt in any way, I asked the hotel reception to organise a taxi driver they knew/trusted, not one 'off the street' to take her to the airport.

They explained that they could do this, but the pick-up could not be from the hotel itself as this would cause trouble.

We went to see her off, and like a cheap spy movie waited on the corner by the roundabout for the 'good car' to come along.

Pathetic/disgraceful that a person can pay thousands of baht for a pleasant hotel stay, then be sent out to walk down the block with her bags for a secret taxi pick-up.

The phuket gazette might be on the ****** side for a newspaper but their constant talk about those issues lately might do some good.

Please find more of these stories so that the bangkok big shot finally lose face and do something. Keep up the good work.

Edited by thaiIand

Major resort chain being held to ransom by untouchable mafia.

The situation is just getting more bizarre by the day.

Why can't these large multi-national companies see the damage these thugs do to their business and do something about it?

JJ.

These multi-national companies are also complicit in the act now as they actively and deliberately arrange for their guests to travel in illegal taxis.

I believe true registered taxi/tuk tuk & motorcycles for hire have yellow plates. Never found out true meaning of green/black lettering. Anyone out there know for sure?

Sorry...explain to me why the police and hotels are "negotiating" (or rather caving due to threats of blockades) with illegal taxi's?

In case anyone isn't aware, the "back plate" taxi's are all paying members of the same "organizations" as the tuk tuks(Patong co-op, Kata/Karon co-op etc.) Refereed to by many as mafia. A large segment of the co-ops fleets are unlicensed, unregulated, not tax paying black taxi's. A real taxi has a green plate. Never use one with a regular passenger plate, black lettering on white background. Those are black taxi's. But in Phuket it is more important to be a member of one of the co-ops, and pay protection money to them, than to get licensed with the government. Not following government rules leads to fines. Not following co-op rules leads to damaged taxi's, threats and violence. This is why the illegal taxi's have a representative. These guys are untouchable. No other government in world would allow an island to be taken hostage by an organized criminal element like this. Tune in tomorrow for the next beating, blockade or scam. Becoming almost a daily thing.

Hotel agrees to fire any staff member if they call the wrong kind of taxi. You can't be serious. What if they were unaware which company is the right one. What if a guest independently calls his friendly taxi. What if the staff of the hotel blockade the taxis for getting one of their staff members fired!

Maybe the hotels should all close down for a month and starve the taxi drivers out of town.

the taxi situation in phuket is one of the main reasons i dont go there anymore ,they may as well "own " the island .........the best thing tourists can do is stay away completely ,phuket is way over developed anyway ,better to go to one of the other beautiful islands (of which there are many ) and just let the taxi drivers lay around all day ,which is what they mostly do anyway because they are way too expensive !!!!!!

How could this Governor let it come so far? When did this all started? And why authorities were turning a blind eye to them until they were overgrown and couldn't do nothing else anymore than caving in to their outlaws... Everyone of us know already the answer: money! :bah: :bah: :bah:

the taxi situation in phuket is one of the main reasons i dont go there anymore ,they may as well "own " the island .........the best thing tourists can do is stay away completely ,phuket is way over developed anyway ,better to go to one of the other beautiful islands (of which there are many ) and just let the taxi drivers lay around all day ,which is what they mostly do anyway because they are way too expensive !!!!!!

Be careful: Koh Samui is next on the list.... :angry:

Major resort chain being held to ransom by untouchable mafia.

The situation is just getting more bizarre by the day.

Why can't these large multi-national companies see the damage these thugs do to their business and do something about it?

JJ.

These multi-national companies are also complicit in the act now as they actively and deliberately arrange for their guests to travel in illegal taxis.

Orac; you surely made the best point! They are simply scared... :(

A “black plate” taxi is the local nickname given to vehicles operated as taxis but not registered with the Land Transportation Office as commercial passenger vehicles.

OK... so you know they are illegal... also gave them a nickname...... and now Negotiating with them....

Wow.. People definitely has a soft corner for THUGS....

I second that: when you go travel to Phuket, yousupport the criminal situation there, so better stay away...

My own experience with tuk-tuks in Phuket has been abysmal. Last night, I could not hire my usual green-plated taxi (I have her phone number) because it was too late at night. I got a ride from one to my hotel, not far from Jungceylon. Here is the dialog:

Me: Are you available?

T: 400 baht!

M: No, not 400 baht!

T: 300 baht.

M: No, the law says 200 in Patong.

T: OK. Deal. Where go?

M: Name of hotel.

T: On hill?

M: Yes.

T: 200, not hill.

M: My money is in my room. I can't pay if you do not go up the hill.

T: Not hill.

M: OK. I will find someone else.

T: OK. Deal. 200 baht

My ride was pleasant and such and then, when we got there, I went up, got the money, came down, showed him the money and he counted out 600 baht for change for my 1000 baht! (I kept the 1000 in my hand.)

M: No! That is wrong!

T: Madam (unintelligible scramble to try to tell me that one of the bills was a 500 baht note, which was a lie).

I went to the reception of my hotel and got change for my 1000 baht note and paid him his 200 baht!

Yes, I am an older, single woman here in Patong! I have NEVER heard an offer for a tuk-tuk or car taxi for less than 300 and, more often, for 400. I only use tuk-tuks when required and I can't use any other transport (even walking). I have been through this drill again and again and, after a month, it gets more than old and, knowing more about this than the average farang, saddening. Yes, SADDENING. These drivers are, ultimately, shooting themselves in their own feet! Now, one member of the EU has reported that there may be a general warning to all EU travelers to Phuket NOT to use tuk-tuks! Too dangerous. I love this place. The people are good, kind and ready to give you the shirt off of their backs, even when you don't need it! Unfortunately, it is this one group in Phuket, white-plated tuk-tuks, that can spoil it for everyone and put the people of Phuket back economically in ways that they can ill afford. I have read these reports over the years and, in the past year, they have become worse and worse in terms of rising abuse, beatings and simple "highway" robbery.

Is it strange that my, green-plate tuk-tuk driver does not like to work at night here in Patong? I find it difficult to even locate a green-plate tuk-tuk at night here. What if she did come to get me that late? Could something have happened to her? I can only surmise.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Anyse

it is alredy bad here with ripp off taxi's , but they dont appear to be as violent as the phuket ones

I do not understand how/why the taxi system works in Bangkok, but onceyou head to the resort towns of Samui, Phuket, Pataya, Hua Hin and so on, it ismafia controlled. Is the government really so weak that they can't get the taxisto obey the law? Are the police really that corrupted that they don't seem tocare? Are the people so cowed that they just can't stand together and say"No More!"? I am glad it's in the news a lot lately; hopefully itwill embarrass enough people that something will be done about it.

Edited by LivinginKata
Font resized back to normal

I do not understand how/why the taxi system works in Bangkok, but onceyou head to the resort towns of Samui, Phuket, Pataya, Hua Hin and so on, it ismafia controlled. Is the government really so weak that they can't get the taxisto obey the law? Are the police really that corrupted that they don't seem tocare? Are the people so cowed that they just can't stand together and say"No More!"? I am glad it's in the news a lot lately; hopefully itwill embarrass enough people that something will be done about it.

Government weak on this point? Yes

Police corrupt? Yes

People cowed? Yes and they have their own pick-ups/Honda Waves

Will it change? No.

Government weak on this point? Yes

Police corrupt? Yes

People cowed? Yes and they have their own pick-ups/Honda Waves

Will it change? No.

I give you an example, I once had a business on Koh Lanta and problems with some local business people,

(Thai Chinese Mafia), the local police would not get involved with it and we had to call the police in Krabi to come and sort it out.

And mind you we had never ever had any problems with the police, they were on our side, but afraid of the local Mafia.

In 1994 already, the buffalo's were still grazing in front of theKamala beach, muslims attacked severly the tuk-tuks standing in front of the former Kamalahotel and beaten them up with iron bars. The day after you could only get muslimtransportation for excorbitant prises. Nothing changed since.

I arranged a ride from Phuket airport to Kamala one night. The usual fare is about 500 bht. It was 1:00 A.M. so I agreed to pay 600bht. I got in with a Japanese tourist who had also agreed to pay 600bht to go to his hotel in Patong. During the trip, I was extolling all the virtues of Thailand and explaining some of the attractions he might be interested in seeing. When we arrived at my house, the driver tried to extort another 200bht from the Japanese fellow for the ride to Patong. It was embarassing and pathetic. When the tourist refused to pay more, based on the principal of the thing, the driver made him get out and left him standing there, in the street, with his bag! I offered to give him a ride to his hotel in my car. I will never forget that display of injustice by that Thai driver.

Every Ambassador to Thailand needs to contact TAT, the government in Bangkok, and every other organization involved in tourism and tell them that they are going to issue travel warnings telling visitors to rent cars in Phuket, to never take a tuk tuk, and to boycott any businesses that use their services. And while they are at it, send in a couple of martial arts and SWAT teams for a vacation, who all rent cars and park them right in front of the tuk tuk stands.

I live and work in chiangmai. I WAS thinking of retiring to phuket because i like to sail but now i am not so sure. I have read over sensationalized articles in thai newspapers before so this xmas holiday i will drive to phuket to see for myself if this is really as bad as reported. If so i will not be buying a new house (the way farangs are forced to do it in this country) and i will not be buying a boat there nor going there again after this trip and i will go out of my way to inform anyone who will listen on the many travel blogs i operate and maintain everyday.

it is alredy bad here with ripp off taxi's , but they dont appear to be as violent as the phuket ones

really, In Samui I went from my hotel on a fixed charge passing songchaew ( excuse the spelling, I mean a pick up with twin benches in the back) on the return trip I got into another fixed price vehicle passing but was charged 300baht I refused to pay more than the fixed rate and the driver got violent. His excuse was fixed prices no longer apply after 6.00. cowboys.