Phuket Taxi Bullying Continues

webfact

the taxi situation in phuket is one of the main reasons i dont go there anymore ,they may as well "own " the island .........the best thing tourists can do is stay away completely ,phuket is way over developed anyway ,better to go to one of the other beautiful islands (of which there are many ) and just let the taxi drivers lay around all day ,which is what they mostly do anyway because they are way too expensive !!!!!!

Be careful: Koh Samui is next on the list.... :angry:

lol. Koh Samui does not use meter taxis. It's been second on the list for at least 10 years.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone now believe that there is any sense of law and order in Phuket? The authorities, police, taxi driver Mafia, the tuk tuk Mafia rule the island. It is theirs for the picking. This slow but inexorable break down has been going on for years with, clearly, the authorities behind this lawlessness. When the people who are in charge allow this, and indeed encourage this, then there really is no hope.

The members here are in no doubt that this is coming from the very top down and also with the full knowledge and consent of the police. They have recently been accused of fraud, Colin Vard and his properties, and of corruption and bribery by the sea gypsy traders....to indicate just the tip of the ice berg. The numerous crimes that go undetected. Beat a Thai and you go to jail...beat a foreigner and you go for drinks.

What happens next is that it slips out of their control and mob rule and law takes over. They themselves become trapped in the daily vicious daily toll of murder, beatings, scams, robberies, etc. etc.

Phuket, especially around Patong/Karon/Kata/Chalong is now totally out of control and in my view a mini Somalia....a failed island for law and order. There are now daily reports of violent crimes, especially against foreigners.

Would I go back to Phuket like I did 3 times a year? Heck no....why would I possibly choose to travel to a place with this corruption, danger and reputation.

Edited by harleyclarkey

the taxi situation in phuket is one of the main reasons i dont go there anymore ,they may as well "own " the island .........the best thing tourists can do is stay away completely ,phuket is way over developed anyway ,better to go to one of the other beautiful islands (of which there are many ) and just let the taxi drivers lay around all day ,which is what they mostly do anyway because they are way too expensive !!!!!!

Be careful: Koh Samui is next on the list.... :angry:

I kinda doubt it. The Five Famlies that have pretty much controlled everything on Samui for the last 40+ years, have been doing a fairly good job I feel :)

Sorry...explain to me why the police and hotels are "negotiating" (or rather caving due to threats of blockades) with illegal taxi's?

By now we all know the answer.

In case anyone isn't aware, the "back plate" taxi's are all paying members of the same "organizations" as the tuk tuks(Patong co-op, Kata/Karon co-op etc.) Refereed to by many as mafia. A large segment of the co-ops fleets are unlicensed, unregulated, not tax paying black taxi's. A real taxi has a green plate. Never use one with a regular passenger plate, black lettering on white background. Those are black taxi's. But in Phuket it is more important to be a member of one of the co-ops, and pay protection money to them, than to get licensed with the government. Not following government rules leads to fines. Not following co-op rules leads to damaged taxi's, threats and violence. This is why the illegal taxi's have a representative. These guys are untouchable. No other government in world would allow an island to be taken hostage by an organized criminal element like this. Tune in tomorrow for the next beating, blockade or scam. Becoming almost a daily thing.

You hit the nail on the head: ORGANIZED CRIME. Blatant and in your face. But tourist numbers will double anyway??

Clearly it's an asylum run by the inmates.

Does anyone now believe that there is any sense of law and order in Phuket? The authorities, police, taxi driver Mafia, the tuk tuk Mafia rule the island. It is theirs for the picking. This slow but inexorable break down has been going on for years with, clearly, the authorities behind this lawlessness. When the people who are in charge allow this, and indeed encourage this, then there really is no hope.

The members here are in no doubt that this is coming from the very top down and also with the full knowledge and consent of the police. They have recently been accused of fraud, Colin Vard and his properties, and of corruption and bribery by the sea gypsy traders....to indicate just the tip of the ice berg. The numerous crimes that go undetected. Beat a Thai and you go to jail...beat a foreigner and you go for drinks.

What happens next is that it slips out of their control and mob rule and law takes over. They themselves become trapped in the daily vicious daily toll of murder, beatings, scams, robberies, etc. etc.

Phuket, especially around Patong/Karon/Kata/Chalong is now totally out of control and in my view a mini Somalia....a failed island for law and order. There are now daily reports of violent crimes, especially against foreigners.

Would I go back to Phuket like I did 3 times a year? Heck no....why would I possibly choose to travel to a place with this corruption, danger and reputation.

Since the only thing any of the people involved in causing the problem care about is money, only what impacts on their wallets will cause any change. All expatriates and tourists should boycott Phuket. Take your money to all the other places available in Thailand.

Reward safety and civility and justice and rule of law with your money.

VOTE with your money. Support good policies and management with your MONEY vote.

Don't continue to live in the dreamworld of "The Beach" and think you have any rights or any safety there. Get out of Phuket while you are still alive.

Since the only thing any of the people involved in causing the problem care about is money, only what impacts on their wallets will cause any change. All expatriates and tourists should boycott Phuket. Take your money to all the other places available in Thailand.

Reward safety and civility and justice and rule of law with your money.

VOTE with your money. Support good policies and management with your MONEY vote.

Don't continue to live in the dreamworld of "The Beach" and think you have any rights or any safety there. Get out of Phuket while you are still alive.

What a total load of cr*p! The Tuk tuk and taxi problem is a serious one but people suggesting that Phuket is akin to Somalia, or, get out alive while you can, get a life for goodness sake and get things into perspective. Phuket is a great place to live for the vast majority of ex-pats who live there, ditto the vast majority of tourists who visit have a great time and don't experience any problems - I've lived in Patong for the past four years without any serious problems and have enjoyed my time there enormously. Do not over dramatize and sensationalize the things you know nothing about and try to ruin it for others, it's unfair and unjust.

What a total load of cr*p! The Tuk tuk and taxi problem is a serious one but people suggesting that Phuket is akin to Somalia, or, get out alive while you can, get a life for goodness sake and get things into perspective. Phuket is a great place to live for the vast majority of ex-pats who live there, ditto the vast majority of tourists who visit have a great time and don't experience any problems - I've lived in Patong for the past four years without any serious problems and have enjoyed my time there enormously. Do not over dramatize and sensationalize the things you know nothing about and try to ruin it for others, it's unfair and unjust.

Yes CM, thank you. You beat me to it.

Sure Phuket has some problems. But Somalia?? Get out while you're still alive?? Being just a bit melodramatic aren't we? With that kind of outlook on life, I can just imagine the kind of vibes you send out to those you meet.

In my years in Patong, I've never had a problem with anyone. I deal on a daily basis with people who know and/or (at least) recognize me, welcome and appreciate my business, and greet me and treat me with respect and a smile. Same as I do with them. You reap what you sow...

it's not a new 'issue' - Nov 2009 we had a single woman friend stay with us in Chalong, from there she had booked herself a few days of luxury at a resort hotel in Karon before flying out.

Being aware of the risks for a single woman traveling alone, and not wanting her holiday spoilt in any way, I asked the hotel reception to organise a taxi driver they knew/trusted, not one 'off the street' to take her to the airport.

They explained that they could do this, but the pick-up could not be from the hotel itself as this would cause trouble.

We went to see her off, and like a cheap spy movie waited on the corner by the roundabout for the 'good car' to come along.

Pathetic/disgraceful that a person can pay thousands of baht for a pleasant hotel stay, then be sent out to walk down the block with her bags for a secret taxi pick-up.

A shocking state of affairs indeed, based on 'Cosa Nostra'

I work in Phuket. I have a car, I decided not to be held hostage to rip off taxi and tuk tuk drivers. All of my colleagues own cars. I lived in China for five years and never needed to own a car, always plenty of taxis with meters, even the guys without always had reasonable and fair rates. When friends come to visit I lend them my car or tell them to hire one because that is safer. It is a little harder parking on the western side of the island, but better that than having a run-in with the local transport mafia.

I second that: when you go travel to Phuket, yousupport the criminal situation there, so better stay away...

Yes, i agree, and since i have been reading all the articles on this forum about Phuket, i will never go back, also i should mention i was mugged there in Patong, just up from the beach, in 2007, they thought the rolex watch i was wearing was a real one,(it was a good copy) three young guys, two thai, one indian, the pol were good about it, they did'nt believe me but offered to give me a lift,, on motorbike back to my nearby hotel, even though my nose was bleeding profusely !

nothing will change as long as Burma is sort of "closed" to mass tourism.

one day Burma will beat the hell out of thailand hands down, go and see by yourself

what they have in store, and instead their government is hellbent on making life harder

for the few tourists left.

and cambodia too, wonderful coastline destinations, all cheap ass pricewise, and yet

they're struggling to bring tourists in.

it will be hard to bring thailand down as long as its neighbours are shooting theirselves

in the foot !

the overpriced Thai Bath will only keep backpackers out, but they're already deserting thailand

since many years anyways, see the crowds in Laos for instance.

once again thailand exists because of a stroke of luck, nobody would have given a shit about

thailand during French Indochina or British Burma ... then the indochina wars, the vietnam war,

the khmer rouges, the junta in burma ... end of the story thailand became the only safe place to go

in the area and withtout having to move a finger .. easy life for the thais ! but one day the party will

be over !

Well reasoned opening remark.

The tuk tuk and taxi problem is not "a serious problem" it is anarchy that is totally out of control and unable to be policed. They do what they like whenever they like to whoever they like. Why? Because the authorities are involved in this corruption and anarchy. There is the serious problem and it is rife all over the island. I say again....Phuket is a failed island that is out of proper control. There is no proper law and order.

You have been lucky...so far...in that you have avoided needing any kind of real help or assistance. If ever you do it will not be available to you as a foreigner. It does not need me to tell you of the daily stories here on TV of the appalling and disgraceful happenings on Phuket. You praise the fact that "vast majority" of tourists have no problems is not something to shout about. Every single tourist who favours Phuket as their chosen destination to spend their money should enjoy themselves. The fact is a huge number do not and encounter vicious violence from the local Mafia...who are the police, the jet ski thugs and the biggest bunch of thugs the tuk tuk gangs.

Some tourists are now in hospital as we read because of this ignored thuggery. Others are in jail because of police corruption who are unable to buy themselves out of trouble. The 2 Dutch guys were beaten senseless in front of a newly arrived police man who drew his gun and was, I believe, reprimanded for doing so. The German man in a coma is but the tip of the ice berg.

The problem is now so much out of control that there is talk of issuing a European wide warning of certain issues on Phuket. The consular meeting with the Phuket authorities has gotten to the point of the consuls showing their frustration and actually getting angry. The American ambassador recently has undiplomatic things to say about Phuket directly to the Governor.

I too lived, past tense, on Phuket and have visited for over 20 years and hence I have a better knowledge of the island that many others. I have sadly watched it degenerate to the failed island it is today. A corrupt vicious police force, corrupt governing body, judiciary and legal system all contribute to this failed island.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Sure Phuket has some problems. But Somalia?? Get out while you're still alive?? Being just a bit melodramatic aren't we? With that kind of outlook on life, I can just imagine the kind of vibes you send out to those you meet.

In my years in Patong, I've never had a problem with anyone. I deal on a daily basis with people who know and/or (at least) recognize me, welcome and appreciate my business, and greet me and treat me with respect and a smile. Same as I do with them. You reap what you sow...

Well done on having no problems during your time on Phuket....it is not the people who have had no problems we write about here. It is the countless number of ones that have had serious problems with no one to turn to.

It seems there are people here who beat the drum because they have experienced no violence or serious crime. Wow...that says a lot. To have no problems is your absolute right...to have an enjoyable time on Phuket with no trouble. Sadly far too many others experience quite the opposite and this is what we are on about here. We are not praising the people who have had no issues.

The thuggery has gone on for far too long on Phuket. It is not doing the island any favours. As I have said here it has snow balled out of control and can never, ever, be sorted with the present incumbents in power.

Edited by harleyclarkey

What about tuk-tuks in Phuket town?

When I lived in phuket some years ago the standard price was 5 baht per person to go anywhere in phuket town. Do they still have no rip off tuk-tuks in phuket town?

In Patong how do normal thais get around town? I am sure a working thai cannot afford to pay 200 baht for a short trip around Patong.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if a Thai member of staff was fired for calling a registered taxi instead of the illegal taxis outside the resort....given the labor office in Phuket is nearly incorruptible (particularly in labor disputes with foreign owned hotels). Not sure where that would go.

This whole situation is now making the Governor a laughing stock and Phuket a place to avoid....check Trip Advisor and Google for Phuket news....got a choice where to go? not here for sure!!!!

• 4 months later...

Well done on having no problems during your time on Phuket....it is not the people who have had no problems we write about here. It is the countless number of ones that have had serious problems with no one to turn to.

It seems there are people here who beat the drum because they have experienced no violence or serious crime. Wow...that says a lot. To have no problems is your absolute right...to have an enjoyable time on Phuket with no trouble. Sadly far too many others experience quite the opposite and this is what we are on about here. We are not praising the people who have had no issues.

The thuggery has gone on for far too long on Phuket. It is not doing the island any favours. As I have said here it has snow balled out of control and can never, ever, be sorted with the present incumbents in power.

Very true. I've witnessed the chinese/thai mafia controlling the government operations in Phuket. Many of these business owners operate within the local crime syndicate and some of the bigger boys operate on an international level of crime and corruption. Phuket is the richest island in Thailand because of the money the locals extort from innocent tourists. Why would I say LOCAL, Phuket was once mainly inhabited by malaysian gypsies and a wide sprectrum of wild life until the chinese came in with there fresh new thai names on there passports and overdeveloped everything in the name of greed! Now 90 percent of the wildlife in Phuket is EXTINCT and the number one place in Thailand for the death rate of westerners, and u know what its all because of the governments failure to enforce and maintain laws and there overwhelming ability to protect the rich business mobsters that infect this island like mother natures vaginal discharge of credit cards..

and Evason, they are supposed to be the GREENEST resort in asia? So they hire illegal taxis burning petro to line up at the gate waiting to deceive local tourists? Why doesnt Evason LET the guests have electric motorbikes for free rental as a bonus for there 4000 baht a night rooms, wouldnt that be eco-friendly tourism? Or maybe go a bit further to encourage them to RIDE BIKES around the island?

What about tuk-tuks in Phuket town?

When I lived in phuket some years ago the standard price was 5 baht per person to go anywhere in phuket town. Do they still have no rip off tuk-tuks in phuket town?

In Patong how do normal thais get around town? I am sure a working thai cannot afford to pay 200 baht for a short trip around Patong.

This is completely foolish nonsense, GO RENT A MOTORBIKE FOR 24 hours at 150 baht a pop....

I propose to everyone who lives or travels to Phuket to BOYCOTT the mafia taxi network and only walk or ride rented bicycles or motorcycles until the air gets a bit cleaner and the local police start doing there jobs of maintaining law and ORDER.....

I used to go to Phuket every year, but the place is getting out of control. This year the Mia and I are heading off to Vinpearl a resort on Hon Tre Island off Nha Trang City in Vietnam's south-east. For $80US each per night we get ocean views in a 5 star resort all meals, free taxis, cable cars ect. It is said to be one of the most beautiful bays in the world, a tropical paradise and one of Asia's best-kept secrets. It has a one-kilometre white sand beach, backed by a range of hills and lush greenery. It enjoys around 300 days of sunshine a year with a comfortable average temperature of 27 degrees Celsius. Vinpearl Land has just opened a 3320 metre cable car system, the world's longest over water. Its nine pillars have the shape and structure of the Eiffel Tower (it was built by a French company) and can carry up to 1500 people an hour. The 10-minute ride makes it very simple to reach the island and the views of Nha Trang Bay are an added bonus. At night the whole thing is laser lit.

The cable car takes you to Vinpearl Amusement Park, which has a variety of indoor and outdoor games and rides, a food village and shopping street. Every night a musical fountain with laser effects entertains visitors and a 5000-seat amphitheatre with moving stage has shows and concerts. There are loads of rides, including a swing carousel, merry-go-round, crazy bull, jet elephant, 3D and 4D movies and video games. The cable car and amusment park are all included.

Hmmm how can Phuket compete with that, the only thing Hon Tre Island doesnt have is gogos and bars girls.

Edited by waza

I used to go to Phuket every year, but the place is getting out of control. This year the Mia and I are heading off to Vinpearl a resort on Hon Tre Island off Nha Trang City in Vietnam's south-east. For $80US each per night we get ocean views in a 5 star resort all meals, free taxis, cable cars ect. It is said to be one of the most beautiful bays in the world, a tropical paradise and one of Asia's best-kept secrets. It has a one-kilometre white sand beach, backed by a range of hills and lush greenery. It enjoys around 300 days of sunshine a year with a comfortable average temperature of 27 degrees Celsius. Vinpearl Land has just opened a 3320 metre cable car system, the world's longest over water. Its nine pillars have the shape and structure of the Eiffel Tower (it was built by a French company) and can carry up to 1500 people an hour. The 10-minute ride makes it very simple to reach the island and the views of Nha Trang Bay are an added bonus. At night the whole thing is laser lit.

The cable car takes you to Vinpearl Amusement Park, which has a variety of indoor and outdoor games and rides, a food village and shopping street. Every night a musical fountain with laser effects entertains visitors and a 5000-seat amphitheatre with moving stage has shows and concerts. There are loads of rides, including a swing carousel, merry-go-round, crazy bull, jet elephant, 3D and 4D movies and video games. The cable car and amusment park are all included.

Hmmm how can Phuket compete with that, the only thing Hon Tre Island doesnt have is gogos and bars girls.

"the only thing Hon Tre Island doesn't have is gogos and bar girls" - ummm, what about the theft, assaults, corruption, rip offs, scams and extortion etc. Don't forget them. :) :) :) :)

Seriously, have a good trip Waza. I give you credit for having a look "next door" and seeing that Phuket is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm sure you will enjoy Vietnam. You will not be alone. Tourists are flocking there now. Nha Trang has plenty of girly bars, you just have to know where to look. Any local taxi driver (that's a proper metered taxi - not like here) can point you in the right direction. There's no pressure in these girly bars. Take the missus, just for a look, as tourists. They are not "sleezy" like in Thailand.

I've posted before about the rapid rate of expansion of tourism, and tourist infastructure, going on in Vietnam. If they are not already, they soon will be Thailand's number one competitor. The amount of hotels and shopping centers being built is staggering.

The cable car is a prime example. They have paid top dollar to a western company for a safe, reliable and direct from of transport. The same situation here would see a small fleet of dangerous boats, captained by an unlicenced navigator with a rip off ticket price, because there is no other way out to the island, and no free market for other boats to offer the service because they all collude and operate as a cartel, paying gratuities to certain "influential" people who allow them to do so. No sustainability in running a business, let alone an industry, like that. Especially, when not far away in Vietnam, you get a very similar product, if not nicer and newer, bettter presented, more affordable and safer.

Whilst it's not all about what the two countries have to offer by way of entertainment and natural beauty, it's the service delivery that puts Vietnam way in front at the moment. They understand if you want the tourist money, you have to take the tourist. Here, unfortunately, they just want the money, but not the tourist that bring it in. So, sadly, many are going elsewhere now, people such as yourself.

Of course, the tourist stats are held up by Russian, Chinese, Indian and Arab package holiday makers, but there is no money in that market, just some new lambs to the slaughter for the cartels here.

I've been to Vietnam many times and I am increasing my stays there longer each time I go. I've not heard of the island you are going to but have just done a quick google, it looks nice. Enjoy.

Maybe you can post an update after your holiday.

Edited by NamKangMan

Certainly does sound good but I took a quick look on Agoda and they are quoting 6327 baht - any pointers for cheaper rates???

Very true. I've witnessed the chinese/thai mafia controlling the government operations in Phuket. Many of these business owners operate within the local crime syndicate and some of the bigger boys operate on an international level of crime and corruption. Phuket is the richest island in Thailand because of the money the locals extort from innocent tourists. Why would I say LOCAL, Phuket was once mainly inhabited by malaysian gypsies and a wide sprectrum of wild life until the chinese came in with there fresh new thai names on there passports and overdeveloped everything in the name of greed! Now 90 percent of the wildlife in Phuket is EXTINCT and the number one place in Thailand for the death rate of westerners, and u know what its all because of the governments failure to enforce and maintain laws and there overwhelming ability to protect the rich business mobsters that infect this island like mother natures vaginal discharge of credit cards..

Do you have a problem with Chinese?

Do you have a problem with Chinese?

Not ALL chinese people but I certainly do have a problem with the ILLEGAL operations many of them engage in and facililitate with the protection of corrupted government officials.. HMMM whose the owner of CP? How did he change the name on his passport so easily?? He is just ONE example of chinese businessmen BUYING there way into corrupted world of business in Thailand.

Certainly does sound good but I took a quick look on Agoda and they are quoting 6327 baht - any pointers for cheaper rates???

I booked on Agoda about a month ago, it was quoted in aussie dollars $160 twin share for an ocean view with all food and run of the house including cable car and amusement park. Since my knee went I need a hotel with and elevator, so I usually look for a good 3 or 4 star hotel, so why would I book in Phuket where the beaches are to dirty to swim at, the taxis are a rip off, really you pay through the nose for sub standard service. Who wants to spend their holidays on guard in case they say or do something that will upset a local.