Survey - Electrical Service In Isaan

kenk3z

I know a lot of this depends on where you live - so the variety of what you have based on where you live will be interesting. Maybe you can comment on your neighbors as well to provide more ideas of what to expect.

My suggestion would be to state where you are, and what the amperage is on your main breaker in the circuit breaker box. I'm not sure if much of Thailand would still be on fuses vs. circuit breakers up-country, so that information would be of interest too.

A little more personal information perhaps, but I would also like to know if you are able to run something like a central air conditioning system on your electrical service, or are limited to a window unit, or don't have enough juice to run much of an A/C.

For my education and long-term planning........ :o

kenk3z

I'm living in a house in Korat (Muang) that was built about 10 years ago. When I got here it had no breaker box, just a board with several breakers on it. (Typical.) I replaced that with a 63 Amp Safe-T-Cut breaker box. I also added a number of three wire (grounded) circuits to all the rooms. The original circuits (one outlet per room) were ungrounded.

We have two split-type room air conditioners. I think one is 15 BTU, the other is 12. We've got three TV's, a fridge, three computers, laser printer, stereos and other junk. No problem running all of this.

Oh, yeah, I replaced the 5 Amp meter on the pole with a 15 Amp unit.

I am not upcountry but will point out several factors you may want to take note of:

[a] meter amperage rating is normally listed as 5/15 or 15/45 amps so the 15 amp meter can provide 45 amps without a problem.

for those from 120v countries the 45 amp (220v) service above would be about a 90 amp service at 120v in power available.

[c] very few homes have central air-conditioning as they are built from cement/brick and split systems are easier to install than ductwork. And most people only air-condition the area occupied.

Edited by lopburi3

I live in the north. My meter is rated as 30/100 amp. I will eventually be running some large equipment so I opted for the biggest regular service meter available for houses....can't remember how much but it was about 10,000 baht for the power company for everything including the meter and the installation....they did not provide nor install the wires from the meter to the house, we did that. The power ran right past our house so they didn't have to install any new wire or poles. I think that prices for this stuff is the same everywhere in Thailand (except, perhaps the islands) but I don't know for sure.

Edited by chownah

Thanks for the responses - helpful.

Yes, I understand power in Thailand is 220V. What is not clear to me are the "meter ratings." What do the dual numbers such as 5/15 or 15/45 mean? Obviously amperage, but with these dual numbers, what is the limit? Is it "constant amperage" and then "surge amperage" (for a short time)?

Also, I presume the meter is what is fused and so if you exceed the "meter rating" something blows at the meter?

American residential electrical power is a 3-wire feed. There are two "hot" wires and a "neutral". The way the transformers are arranged, you get 220v directly across the two "hot" wires and then 110v from either hot wire to the neutral. So, the 220v power is used for heavy appliances, stove, dryer, central air and heat, etc. Then the wall outlets in the house are somewhat balanced across the two "hot wire to neutral" circuits. There will typically be one big circuit breaker that is on the two "hot" wires that will drop out if the entire house limit is exceeded. My big breaker is 200A which is typical for the house's age but is probably a little low for current construction. I'll bet plenty of homes have 400A and 600A feeds these days. My, don't I feel like an American energy pig now. :o

Also, thanks for helping me understand the air conditioning situation, central vs. window unit. I'm guessing a 220v window unit might draw 7 Amps or so?

Oh, is the meter typically on the house, on a pole close to the house, or near the main lines running down a road?

kenk3z

I think the meter ratings are as you describe. However, in actual practice I suspect most people draw more than the lower number most of the time. I believe the meters are fused at the peak amperage. The meters are usually out on the pole.

You don't really see "window" air conditioning units in Thailand. It is almost all split type, with the compressor outside the house, on the ground, mounted on the wall, on a balcony or the roof.

The split air-con in my bedroom is 12K BTU and draws 5.33 amps.

As said widow units are almost never seen these days - everybody pays the extra cost of split units and the inside unit is usually wall mount these days.

The electric feed will be two wire single phase 220v. Meter on electric pole and the two wires run to a main breaker or fuse inside house (which for the 15/45 service may be higher than the 45 amp meter so if that is meter fuse it is very slow blow). Older inside wiring will be two wire only but many foreigners do re-wire with ground these days (and many newer developments may be so wired). Electric work is not expensive but finding qualified electrician can be a major headache as it seem to be self taught and survival of the lucky. Most Thai with electric concerns will install a whole house ELCB/GFI device and they have been locally make here for over 30 years (and I highly recommend).

Very few people cook with electric burners or ovens so you will not find the electric requirements as high as USA.

Edited by lopburi3

I know a lot of this depends on where you live - so the variety of what you have based on where you live will be interesting. Maybe you can comment on your neighbors as well to provide more ideas of what to expect.

COLOR=blue]We live in Buriram province and I have lots of hi power appliances.

I made a deal with the power company.

They raised my own private post with a step-down transformer leading underground wires to the house.\

Inside I installed a 400 amp box three phase wire circuit ( grounded ) with circuit breakers of course.

Make a long story short , I can power the whole village in an emergency.

regards[/color][/color]

COLOR=blue]We live in Buriram province and I have lots of hi power appliances.

I made a deal with the power company.

They raised my own private post with a step-down transformer leading underground wires to the house.\

Inside I installed a 400 amp box three phase wire circuit ( grounded ) with circuit breakers of course.

Make a long story short , I can power the whole village in an emergency.

regards[/color][/color]

I have 7 split systems in my home.....a 15 metre pool that requires a large pump and about 4 other submersed or dam pumps for irrigation. The usual stereo equipment, 3 fridges, one a large icemaker etc and have no problems now that the power company put in a transformer near our home. The power company will always help if you go cap in hand and ask for help!