What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

In case you missed it, here's the answer one more time:

I would say there are two definitions of a hacker. One is my own definition of someone who isn't a professional golfer, or at least not good enough to shoot under par regularly at the home course.

Then there's the "bullshit walks"- hacker who claims to have a degree of knowledge, but in reality doesn't have a freakin' clue what he's talking about - you usually finds these hackers at the driving range giving advice to others.

That would make just about every one I know who plays golf up here in Chiang Mai a hacker!

Pretty much everywhere.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a hacker, I sometimes lose a ball into the water or somewhere else, but the biggest reason for dismissing a golf ball is the wedges. If I play a normal golf course with friends and dont play from the tips I hit a sand wedge or gap wedge to the green on pretty much every other hole. That means I will literary rip the ball to pieces. Here's what it looks like when you hit a sand wedge 120 yards and strike the ball properly.

post-98752-0-55968600-1315814752_thumb.j

Ha ha I can so show you a ball just as new as that, the picture is proving what exactly. it's a new never been used ball. lol

I certainly hope that your golf game is making more sense than your writing. I'd say this one was out of bounce, in the water amongst the trees all at the same time.

I'll give you a mulligan.

What on earth is that all about?? you show us a picture and say this is what a ball looks like after you have hit a sand wedge 120 yds, how do we know that is what your ball will look like after that shot, i'll give you a doctors appointment!!! just having a laugh mate!! all my balls look like that after 18 holes!!

Lets be serious for a little bit, I have never gone in to the choosing of golf balls, always buy something that appears good and value for money, so, I hit the ball straight and very high, what ball should I be looking at?

Edited by kenny999

As a hacker, I sometimes lose a ball into the water or somewhere else, but the biggest reason for dismissing a golf ball is the wedges. If I play a normal golf course with friends and dont play from the tips I hit a sand wedge or gap wedge to the green on pretty much every other hole. That means I will literary rip the ball to pieces. Here's what it looks like when you hit a sand wedge 120 yards and strike the ball properly.

post-98752-0-55968600-1315814752_thumb.j

Ha ha I can so show you a ball just as new as that, the picture is proving what exactly. it's a new never been used ball. lol

I certainly hope that your golf game is making more sense than your writing. I'd say this one was out of bounce, in the water amongst the trees all at the same time.

I'll give you a mulligan.

What on earth is that all about?? you show us a picture and say this is what a ball looks like after you have hit a sand wedge 120 yds, how do we know that is what your ball will look like after that shot, i'll give you a doctors appointment!!! just having a laugh mate!! all my balls look like that after 18 holes!!

Lets be serious for a little bit, I have never gone in to the choosing of golf balls, always buy something that appears good and value for money, so, I hit the ball straight and very high, what ball should I be looking at?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise that you've edited your post and added some sort of question.

I dont know, kenny999, there are so many other factors that will come into play. Get a Trackman analysis and the PRO should be able to advice. Good luck.

Nah my last 3 rounds of 11,7 and 4 over suggest their is not much wrong with what I am doing or using, I play golf for fun and fun it is!!

Is that on a par 60 golf course?

Yep on my local par 60 golf course, unfortunately can not afford to play any of the 18 hole courses on this Island, very happy with my game which would easily be taken to a full 18 hole course where I am confident I would still shoot a very reasonable score.

I played pro on the oz circuit for about 5 years in the 80's. In the late 90's I got my amateur status back and played socially every month or so. I'm now 48 and am having my mid life crisis, went back to my old guru who has talked me into getting pro status back (approved today) and hitting the geriatric circuit in 2 years. During this 2 years I have to get my game back in order (not easy) and also get my coaching up to date (again not easy).

I have always classed a hacker as someone who can't break 90 on a regular basis. Never ever would I or anyone I know call someone a hacker if they can't short under or near par at their home course. They are not hackers, they are excellent golfers and most pros would fall into this group. Anyone who shoots under 80 regularly is a very good player. I enjoy my golf more playing with golfers with handicaps of around 10 - 18 as they have a good knowledge of the game and basically just enjoy the day. Those shooting near or around par tend to get far too highly strung when they have a miss hit (me included when I was seriously playing).

That's my 2 cents worth.

As for the ball, well it does have a lot to do with it but so do the weapons you use. The metal driver is a lot more forgiving than the old woods I used to use. The metal woods have made it easier for old gits like me to keep up with the young bucks a bit better in the distance stakes. The shafts in the clubs are just as much, if not more of assistance than the ball. It is amazing the overall weight of a club these days with the new shafts they use.

I hit a driver pretty much 250 metres, not too far back from the young guys and at that distance losing or gaining a few metres/yards is not of any significance so it comes down to the ball control around the greens.

I use the Titleist Pro V when playing in something serious, otherwise I don't particularly care when playing social. I think as long as you buy a ball in the mid to high range cost then all should be good, just keep away from the korean $1 specials.

If you are playing just for social enjoyment, does it really matter? Just get out there then have a few beers.

Nah my last 3 rounds of 11,7 and 4 over suggest their is not much wrong with what I am doing or using, I play golf for fun and fun it is!!

Yep on my local par 60 golf course, unfortunately can not afford to play any of the 18 hole courses on this Island, very happy with my game which would easily be taken to a full 18 hole course where I am confident I would still shoot a very reasonable score.

The par for a course is of no significance. It's how many over/under you shoot that matters. I actually think it is harder to score on the lower par courses as there are more par 3's. Your scoring is very good.

I played pro on the oz circuit for about 5 years in the 80's. In the late 90's I got my amateur status back and played socially every month or so. I'm now 48 and am having my mid life crisis, went back to my old guru who has talked me into getting pro status back (approved today) and hitting the geriatric circuit in 2 years. During this 2 years I have to get my game back in order (not easy) and also get my coaching up to date (again not easy).

I have always classed a hacker as someone who can't break 90 on a regular basis. Never ever would I or anyone I know call someone a hacker if they can't short under or near par at their home course. They are not hackers, they are excellent golfers and most pros would fall into this group. Anyone who shoots under 80 regularly is a very good player. I enjoy my golf more playing with golfers with handicaps of around 10 - 18 as they have a good knowledge of the game and basically just enjoy the day. Those shooting near or around par tend to get far too highly strung when they have a miss hit (me included when I was seriously playing).

That's my 2 cents worth.

As for the ball, well it does have a lot to do with it but so do the weapons you use. The metal driver is a lot more forgiving than the old woods I used to use. The metal woods have made it easier for old gits like me to keep up with the young bucks a bit better in the distance stakes. The shafts in the clubs are just as much, if not more of assistance than the ball. It is amazing the overall weight of a club these days with the new shafts they use.

I hit a driver pretty much 250 metres, not too far back from the young guys and at that distance losing or gaining a few metres/yards is not of any significance so it comes down to the ball control around the greens.

I use the Titleist Pro V when playing in something serious, otherwise I don't particularly care when playing social. I think as long as you buy a ball in the mid to high range cost then all should be good, just keep away from the korean $1 specials.

If you are playing just for social enjoyment, does it really matter? Just get out there then have a few beers.

Great post mate and yes it is fun and always have a few beers after the game, I love golf 100% more now than I ever did when I was back in the UK, I was a 9 handicap there but I am striking the ball so much better now, yes I am only playing a short 9 hole course with 6 par 3's 2 par 4's and a long par 5(go round twice, but it is a golf course and at a reasonable price, their will be people that say it's not a real course, it's easy, it's very short blah blah blah, it's a great training course and I am ready to destroy the real thing when I win the lottery lol

Oh shit I don't play the lottery!! lol

Edited by kenny999

The par for a course is of no significance. It's how many over/under you shoot that matters. I actually think it is harder to score on the lower par courses as there are more par 3's. Your scoring is very good.

I am close to going round in par at this course, been let down by my putting which has now improved greatly, the 2 par 4's are very difficult driving holes with very little room for error, the par 5 is 528 yds and I have been putting for birdie every time I have played it, just wish I could afford these over priced courses on Phuket, hopefully will be playing a course near Surat Thani soon, have been told as good as Blue Canyon and only 600 bht. bring it on!!!

Hit my first golf ball 2 months after my 60th birthday 5 years ago.

Hit my first and only (so far) 79 earlier this year, many scores now in the 80's. If I remember correctly my first ever 18 holes was around 140! Progress has definitely been made. :)

I guess if I could have started when I was younger I may now have just about shed the description of hacker! :D

C'est la vie

Hit my first and only (so far) 79 earlier this year, many scores now in the 80's. If I remember correctly my first ever 18 holes was around 140! Progress has definitely been made. :)

I guess if I could have started when I was younger I may now have just about shed the description of hacker! :D

C'est la vie

Perhaps I could add that a 'real' hacker is one that has been playing for many years and still hasn't got a clue. If I'm shooting those scores at your age I'll be a happy camper. Good golfing.

C'est la vie

Perhaps I could add that a 'real' hacker is one that has been playing for many years and still hasn't got a clue. If I'm shooting those scores at your age I'll be a happy camper. Good golfing.

Agree with that, hope I am playing good golf at your age too. keep up the good scoring!!

I am close to going round in par at this course, been let down by my putting which has now improved greatly, the 2 par 4's are very difficult driving holes with very little room for error, the par 5 is 528 yds and I have been putting for birdie every time I have played it, just wish I could afford these over priced courses on Phuket, hopefully will be playing a course near Surat Thani soon, have been told as good as Blue Canyon and only 600 bht. bring it on!!!

You are doing pretty good to do that on basically a par 3 course. My short game and putting is cr*p.

When I went back to my old coach I told him I had the yips, it wasn't pretty and one of the reasons I basically gave it away. He fixed me up in no time. Gave me one of those broomstick putters to practice with. They aren't easy to get used to, looked like the head was doing a double figure 8 as a stroke. 1 hour a day for 3 days then back to the short stick and voila, stroke is back as good as ever. Seemed the long blade helped me use the right hand more and it is now more relaxed.

Now if only I could chip. :D

I would say there are two definitions of a hacker. One is my own definition of someone who isn't a professional golfer, or at least not good enough to shoot under par regularly at the home course.

Then there's the "bullshit walks"- hacker who claims to have a degree of knowledge, but in reality doesn't have a freakin' clue what he's talking about - you usually finds these hackers at the driving range giving advice to others.

So when I was playing off of a four handicap, you would have classified me as a "hacker" because I could not regularly break par. I always thought my game was rather respectable but I only broke 70 a few times. Guess I was a hacker too.

What's your handicap again??? Or do we classify you in the "bullshit walks" category.

So when I was playing off of a four handicap, you would have classified me as a "hacker" because I could not regularly break par. I always thought my game was rather respectable but I only broke 70 a few times. Guess I was a hacker too.

What's your handicap again??? Or do we classify you in the "bullshit walks" category.

Mr Forethat will not reveal his handicap or any other information as he thinks it all to be of a personnel nature, I never thought a golf handicap was classified information!! when I did press him for this information he threatened to report me to the moderators, I was quaking in my boots!! lol

Edited by kenny999

Now, talking about choice of golf balls, I prefer the Pro V1 but also like some of the Nike and Callaway balls.

Just remember this (from a Titleist ad) "Your golf ball is the only piece of equipment you use on every shot."

yes that is right, I am going to treat myself to a few Titleist PRO V1's in the near future, just waiting for my Nephew who is a PGA teaching pro in the UK to educate me in the selection of golf balls!!

Yes, my definition of a hacker is someone who doesn't break par regularly at the home course, so I guess that makes you a hacker according to that definition.

Yes, my definition of a hacker is someone who doesn't break par regularly at the home course, so I guess that makes you a hacker according to that definition.

Me thinks you have never played golf and all your information comes from a book in front of you, nothing wrong in that after all we don't know who you are, but it is very strange indeed that you never ever mention your handicap, still it is very sensitive information which if fell in to the wrong hands well it could be disastrous!!

I have always classed a hacker as someone who can't break 90 on a regular basis. Never ever would I or anyone I know call someone a hacker if they can't short under or near par at their home course. They are not hackers, they are excellent golfers and most pros would fall into this group.

I regularly play with Asian tour players AND some Pro's who aren't even exempt for all events, and they regularly shoot mid 60's. Last time I played with one of these players (two weeks ago) he had 9 birdies, one eagle and one bogey.

As for the ball, well it does have a lot to do with it but so do the weapons you use. The metal driver is a lot more forgiving than the old woods I used to use. The metal woods have made it easier for old gits like me to keep up with the young bucks a bit better in the distance stakes. The shafts in the clubs are just as much, if not more of assistance than the ball.

Incorrect. There are plenty of stats available if you're interested. It's the ball. Period.

This is probably the best advice I've heard. To many hackers put too much into the game and act as if they have a future on the tour. They don't.

Edited by Forethat

Me thinks you have never played golf and all your information comes from a book in front of you, nothing wrong in that after all we don't know who you are, but it is very strange indeed that you never ever mention your handicap, still it is very sensitive information which if fell in to the wrong hands well it could be disastrous!!

You are welcome to play a round of golf with me to find out for yourself. I have invited you before.

You are welcome to play a round of golf with me to find out for yourself. I have invited you before.

You invited me for a game? Sorry I can't remember that... of course I would have a game with some one who is of a much higher standard than myself that is how you learn... are you in Phuket?

Length is by far the biggest factor when a course is rated/sloped. Difficulty added by obstacles and similar counts as well, but length is the most important parameter. This means a long course is rated more difficult than a short course. If my information is correct, Phunaka is not rated, but please feel free to reveal any such information. I would be VERY surprised if Phunaka is rated as anything but a VERY easy golf course, simply because it is VERY short.

They have changed it, because I dont see any Par 5s? Maybe it's been lengthened as well, I wouldn't know.

http://www.phuketgolfcourse.com/phunaka-golf-course/scorecard.htm

Edited by Forethat

Length is by far the biggest factor when a course is rated/sloped. Difficulty added by obstacles and similar counts as well, but length is the most important parameter. This means a long course is rated more difficult than a short course. If my information is correct, Phunaka is not rated, but please feel free to reveal any such information. I would be VERY surprised if Phunaka is rated as anything but a VERY easy golf course, simply because it is VERY short.

They have changed it, because I dont see any Par 5s? Maybe it's been lengthened as well, I wouldn't know.

http://www.phuketgol...e/scorecard.htm

Edited by kenny999

Edited by kenny999

Edited by kenny999

Edited by kenny999

Edited by kenny999