What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

We did this because if you didn't have a traineeship you could not then be a pro at a golf club. You could become a pro through the tour school but very very few did it that way as they wanted the security of being able to become a club pro if it didn't work out on the tour, even Norman was a trainee, though I think in his last year Charlie sent him on the tour pretty much full time.

Your playing status is defined by the rules of golf, not by a traineeship at a golf club. "Turn pro", anyone can do at any point in time according to his/hers own will by giving up his/hers amateur status.

There's even a wiki-page on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia....essional_golfer

The governing body in this case is R&A or USGA, depending on your home country.

http://www.randa.org...eur-Status.aspx

Well you can rely on wikipedia and I'll rely on the thousands of players that became pro through a traineeship, and the Aus PGA site, and the fact that I did a traineeship, and that I have requested and been granted reinstatement as a pro, and we'll leave it at that.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as I don't want to go wasting time on a troll.

It takes a bit of finding on the pga site but I see that now the handicap to become a trainee pro is 3 for men and 6 for women.

http://www.pga.org.a...-Program/131867

Well bugger me, you can become a golf pro by being a trainee. I guess Greg Norman and myself and thousands of others weren't scammed.

You have a very condescending way of talking to people who actually have been there and done that, have the experience and bought the tshirt. As you are just a hacker I think it best you just let it go and be happy with your lot in life instead of trying to be the all knowing neville nobody.

Again, you tend to think there's a relationship between becoming a PGA Teaching professional and turning Professional. There's a huge difference.

Am I correct if I suspect that you have never been a professional golfer (as in giving up your amateur status according to he two governing bodies of the game).

We did this because if you didn't have a traineeship you could not then be a pro at a golf club. You could become a pro through the tour school but very very few did it that way as they wanted the security of being able to become a club pro if it didn't work out on the tour, even Norman was a trainee, though I think in his last year Charlie sent him on the tour pretty much full time.

Your playing status is defined by the rules of golf, not by a traineeship at a golf club. "Turn pro", anyone can do at any point in time according to his/hers own will by giving up his/hers amateur status.

Well you can rely on wikipedia and I'll rely on the thousands of players that became pro through a traineeship, and the Aus PGA site, and the fact that I did a traineeship, and that I have requested and been granted reinstatement as a pro, and we'll leave it at that.

lol, oy mate - that's the R&A web site...they're probably trolls as well.

:cheesy:

As much as I don't want to go wasting time on a troll.

It takes a bit of finding on the pga site but I see that now the handicap to become a trainee pro is 3 for men and 6 for women.

http://www.pga.org.a...-Program/131867

Well bugger me, you can become a golf pro by being a trainee. I guess Greg Norman and myself and thousands of others weren't scammed.

You have a very condescending way of talking to people who actually have been there and done that, have the experience and bought the tshirt. As you are just a hacker I think it best you just let it go and be happy with your lot in life instead of trying to be the all knowing neville nobody.

Again, you tend to think there's a relationship between becoming a PGA Teaching professional and turning Professional. There's a huge difference.

Am I correct if I suspect that you have never been a professional golfer (as in giving up your amateur status according to he two governing bodies of the game).

No you are not correct. I have been a pro and played in many events. I only actually worked at one golf club as a teaching pro for about 6 months. The rest of the time I did odd jobs lot related to golf and played some tour events.

I'm sure a traineeship is a completely different animal to what it was many moons ago. I'm not too sure what happens now but I can explain what happened with me.

I did 3 years. First year was the pits as it is with any first year traineeship, just doing all the crap. Worked 6 days a week and on the Monday (day off) had to play 18 holes in a trainee comp followed by 18 holes in a pro am (same course). We had targets of how many cards we submitted under 6 over, under 4 over, under par. I have no idea how many etc as it was far too long ago.

Second year was pretty much like the first but the boss would let you head out more often and do a bit of travelling playing more and more pro ams. Same for the 3rd year but in reality the last 6 months or so you are out on the circuit pretty much full time.

When completed you are a fully qualified golf pro and full member of the pga. Can play in all the tournaments, though for some bigger events like the Aus PGA and Open and state opens you would have to pre qualify.

One couldn't just turn pro, you either had to do the players school or traineeship. Those that did the players school were not allowed to be a club pro. That is why nearly everyone did the traineeship. From vague memory a qualified trainee had the same rights to play on tour as a person that did the players school, though I can't be certain. Though these days I think most players that want to actually play just do the players school. Those that want to be club pros do the traineeship.

Oh, one more thing. If you do the players school you had to earn so much per year to keep your membership. If you did a traineeship you didn't need that, you are always a full member, so it was deemed a much better option to have a traineeship behind you.

Later, I requested to get my amateur status back and they made me wait 2 years before approval. During that time I was not allowed to play in anything, amateur or professional. I have now regained my pro status after waiting 3 months. Though I can play in the usual pro ams, state pga comps I would think I would have to pre qualify for the larger events.

But really, I'm doing it because I'm 50 in 2 years and want to play the old gits tournaments, live in Asia and teach. I have a lot of teaching knowledge to get from my coach before doing that and want to be organised, hence giving myself 2 years to train up again.

lol, oy mate - that's the R&A web site...they're probably trolls as well.

:cheesy:

No, only you.

So are you saying I didn't do a traineeship, that there is no such thing? You can't be a pro by doing one? You have spent much of this thread implying I know nothing. I have told you what I did, I have linked to how it was done (even so you don't believe it) Perhaps instead of thinking you know everything and mocking those that point out differently you may wish to just accept that others do in fact have some knowledge and experience.

Though I do accept I'm not sure how things actually work these days. It could be very very different to when I was actively involved. I'm sure I"ll find out soon enough when I start playing in tournaments again.

One couldn't just turn pro, you either had to do the players school or traineeship.

You're wrong. Anyone who wants to can become a professional golfer. Even at 23 hcp. It is obvious that you actually mean giving up your amateur status and become a professional golfer, though I think you have now realized that you are wrong and now tries to change your statement to "becoming Club Pro".

However, you clearly stated at one point that you got your amateur status back and for this reason I assume you meant becoming a professional golfer (as in non-amateur), and for this you dont need any traineeship or similar. PGA is not the definition of a professional golfer. You can be a professional golfer without being a member of PGA. PGA is a private commercial interest, a profitable association that organizes a tour for it's members and invitees. PGA doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the definition of a professional golfer, this is governed by the two ruling bodies of the game of golf, R&A and USGA.

It is now more obvious than ever that you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

PS. Feel free to pull up your pants at any time, they're around your ankles.

Edited by Forethat

I have attached the pdf trainee requirements and what you get when you finished for anyone that's interested.

You still dont get it, dont you?

PGA doesn't have anything to do with the definition of a professional golfer. It's an association. There are several others. LPGA is another one. JPGA is a third. PGTA is a fourth. LDA is a fifth. USGTF is a sixth.

None of them are involved in declaring someone a professional golfer or change a players status from amateur to Professional or vice versa.

One couldn't just turn pro, you either had to do the players school or traineeship.

You're wrong. Anyone who wants to can become a professional golfer. Even at 23 hcp. It is obvious that you actually mean giving up your amateur status and become a professional golfer, though I think you have now realized that you are wrong and now tries to change your statement to "becoming Club Pro".

However, you clearly stated at one point that you got your amateur status back and for this reason I assume you meant becoming a professional golfer (as in non-amateur), and for this you dont need any traineeship or similar. PGA is not the definition of a professional golfer. You can be a professional golfer without being a member of PGA. PGA is a private commercial interest, a profitable association that organizes a tour for it's members and invitees. PGA doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the definition of a professional golfer, this is governed by the two ruing bodies of the game of golf, R&A and USGA.

It is now more obvious than ever that you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

I have absolutely no idea what planet you are on.

I have no idea what you mean in your first sentence. It's even hard for me to request it be made clear and I just don't understand what you are saying. What does a club pro have to do with losing amateur, gaining pro, jeez you make things difficult.

It seems english may not be your first language but I'll try and make things perfectly clear.

I was a full member of the pga, could play pro tournaments, could not play amateur golf. As I was a full pro member of the pga I could also become a club pro if I wished. Those that went through the players school could not become club pros. As such, I had the same playing rights as those 'player school' pros and could also work at a club. They couldn't. Is that clear enough?

Now to your second paragraph. No, you assume wrong. I played tournaments for about 5 years. I then was inactive and later decided to just go back to amateur. After I applied I waited 2 years was reinstated to amateur. From then I could no longer play in tournaments as a pro but could do so as an amateur.

Now......I have requested and been approved to have my pga membership reinstated, as a golf pro, to play in pro tournaments, to earn money etc etc. This has been granted and I am now a full member of the Aus pga, I can now play or do whatever the hell I want to do, but cannot play amateur.

Now surely even you can understand that.

If you don't understand english very well just let me know and I'll explain it again.

I'm just happy to have actually done it and don't need you telling me that it can't be done. Feel free to go on the official website of the PGA, try the Qld section, call or email them, and ask.

However, you clearly stated at one point that you got your amateur status back and for this reason I assume you meant becoming a professional golfer (as in non-amateur), and for this you dont need any traineeship or similar. PGA is not the definition of a professional golfer. You can be a professional golfer without being a member of PGA. PGA is a private commercial interest, a profitable association that organizes a tour for it's members and invitees. PGA doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the definition of a professional golfer, this is governed by the two ruling bodies of the game of golf, R&A and USGA.

Um just one more thing, the PGA is NON PROFITABLE organisation. Please see my pdf link before. First page, it is quite clear.

I have attached the pdf trainee requirements and what you get when you finished for anyone that's interested.

You still dont get it, dont you?

PGA doesn't have anything to do with the definition of a professional golfer. It's an association. There are several others. LPGA is another one. JPGA is a third. PGTA is a fourth. LDA is a fifth. USGTF is a sixth.

None of them are involved in declaring someone a professional golfer or change a players status from amateur to Professional or vice versa.

I bet you're short.

I was a full member of the pga, could play pro tournaments, could not play amateur golf. As I was a full pro member of the pga I could also become a club pro if I wished. Those that went through the players school could not become club pros. As such, I had the same playing rights as those 'player school' pros and could also work at a club. They couldn't. Is that clear enough?

Oh dear me...

Actually, I'm not to bothered with your resume. I argue that you were wrong in claiming that there was a 4hcp limit to become a professional golfer. You never claimed that you became a club pro. I make this assumption because in the next sentence you claimed that you had your amateur status reinstated.

My handicap before I turned pro was 1 (0.8). My lowest handicap after I went back to amateur was 1 (0.6).
Back in his/my day you only had to be off 4 or less to try and become pro.

Speaking of being able to understand written English....I have told you several times there has never been a hcp limit to become a professional golfer.

Wow, I'll have to write to the PGA and tell them they were wrong all those years ago when they put the handicap limit on. I can assure you as fact that there was a handicap limit of 4. But then again, you know what my golfing history is.

In conclusion:

There has never been a hcp limit to become a professional golfer. You claim there is. You also claim one had to do a "traineeship" to become a golfer, but this is wrong.

Can we agree that there has never been a hcp limit to become a professional golfer? Yes or No?

Can we agree that there has never been a hcp limit to become a professional golfer? Yes or No?

I have deleted the supefluous comments as you just want this answered.

It depends on how you want to become a golf pro.

If you want to be a golf pro via players school then I don't know as I've never done it, I would think not, but I don't know.

If you want to be a golf pro via traineeship then yes there is. I have shown it on the attachment, for men it is 3. If you couldn't reach that handicap then not much point trying, I would think.

There is a difference between just giving up amateur status and doing a traineeship. I can play in my state pga for money, I don't have to qualify for a state open, I can apply and am an automatic entry. A person that simply gives up amateur status cannot do that.

A traineeship gave you the added advantage of making money by being a club pro when there were no tournaments going on. Though these days I don't think you actually need a traineeship to do that, but it would certainly help on the resume.

Simply put, completing a traineeship does make you a golf pro and eligible for tournaments that amateurs, or those that have given up their amateur status cannot play.

Edited by Wallaby

Wallaby, I dont think you know anything about professional golf. Maybe you played at a decent level at one point in time, but I suspect you don't have any real knowledge about professional golf. Your terminology is just wrong. You refer to stuff using the wrong words, it is as if you make things up according to your perception of how things are. Sorry, I find you as credible and knowledgeable as the average hacker on a driving range giving advice to others. Tragic, really.

The terminology I use is what I have always used. As I have said repeatedly, I was on tour years ago. To be precise it was 1983.

Shall I just use your way of thinking and say that I don't believe you know much about the game at all because of the terminology you use.

I have been quite happy to give my resume, you on the other hand have shown nothing to indicate you have any knowledge.

It depends on how you want to become a golf pro.

What is a "golf pro" according to your definition?

If you want to be a golf pro via players school then I don't know as I've never done it, I would think not, but I don't know.

What is the "players school"? I've never heard of this before, so please enlighten me.

If you want to be a golf pro via traineeship then yes there is. I have shown it on the attachment, for men it is 3. If you couldn't reach that handicap then not much point trying, I would think.

But that doesn't have anything to do with giving up your amateur status and become a professional golfer.

There is a difference between just giving up amateur status and doing a traineeship. I can play in my state pga for money, I don't have to qualify for a state open, I can apply and am an automatic entry. A person that simply gives up amateur status cannot do that.

Again, being a member of PGA is NOT the definition of a professional golfer. Surely you must have realized your mistake by now. For instance, members of Long Drivers of America (another association for professional golfers) earn hundreds of thousands of dollars when they win. They are NOT members of PGA but they ARE professional golfers. Is t sinking in? PGA is NOT the definition of a professional golfer, they do NOT define the terms for who can become, and why someone is categorized as being a professional golfer. This is governed by R&A and USGA. Edited by Forethat

I have been quite happy to give my resume, you on the other hand have shown nothing to indicate you have any knowledge.

Except feeding you with page after page of correct information?

The only thing you appears to be unhappy with is the fact that my personal definition of a hacker includes yourself. I guess you claim that my personal definition is not valid, eh..?

Just come back from shit hole Patong and find a lot more posts, calm down it's all about opinions and no need to get in to insults of any kind, if I have played with you forethat then of course I know who you are but still not sure, the ball marker you gave me is great, was that you? if so a nice guy and enjoyed the games!!

I have never looked up the official definition. My view is a golf pro is someone who is eligible to play in pro tournaments or is a club pro, AND is a member of his pga. That would do me as good enough but I've never looked it up, nor am I particularly interested in an official definition, as long as I can play in what I want then that's fine by me. Though I've never refered to myself as a golf pro when I haven't actually been making a living in the golf industry.

Players school was the term we used for people that didn't want to do a traineeship but wanted to play tournaments. Every year there was a players school, you would play maybe 6 rounds and the top however many, maybe 40 would gain their tour card. As I have said, I'm not too sure exactly how it worked as I never did it. I don't know what it would be called now but I think something similar still occurs.

When you become a trainee you automatically give up amateur status. When you successfully complete it you are automatically a member of the pga and can play on tour, though some tournaments you have to pre qualify. Yes you are a golf pro.

Yes I can see what you are getting at. Pure semantics. Ask anyone who plays on tour and they don't come out with a 10 minute explanation of what exactly it means to be a pga member or golf pro, they just say they are a golf pro. But again, doing a traineeship does mean you are a golf pro. Simple.

If you are so concerned about this why not private message me and, whilst I'm not keen to tell you my name and I guess you aren't either, I'm happy to give a more personal account of people and places etc that you may understand. Though in saying that, I have no idea if you are just trolling for info.

In any event, if this keeps going we'll be asked to get a room so I'd prefer it to be moved private instead of boring the masses.

The only thing you appears to be unhappy with is the fact that my personal definition of a hacker includes yourself. I guess you claim that my personal definition is not valid, eh..?

Well I really don't care if I'm called a hacker. Been called it plenty of times. But I'd never call anyone a hacker if he can shoot in the 80's regularly. In the 90's I'd consider it so, but really, it isn't a very good term to call anyone.

Well I really don't care if I'm called a hacker. Been called it plenty of times. But I'd never call anyone a hacker if he can shoot in the 80's regularly. In the 90's I'd consider it so, but really, it isn't a very good term to call anyone.

I'm not bored I think it is all very interesting!!

I have never looked up the official definition.

My advice is that you do that before arguing your case when you're wrong.

Players school was the term we used for people that didn't want to do a traineeship but wanted to play tournaments.

Q school, qualifying school.

If you are so concerned about this why not private message me and, whilst I'm not keen to tell you my name and I guess you aren't either, I'm happy to give a more personal account of people and places etc that you may understand. Though in saying that, I have no idea if you are just trolling for info.

In any event, if this keeps going we'll be asked to get a room so I'd prefer it to be moved private instead of boring the masses.

I couldn't care less about your name. Your hcp doesn't bother me, neither does your status or which ball you play. I am debating because you incorrectly state that you are required to have a hcp of 4 or lower to become a professional golfer. That's not true. Edited by Forethat

I have never looked up the official definition.

My advice is that you do that before arguing your case when you're wrong.

Players school was the term we used for people that didn't want to do a traineeship but wanted to play tournaments.

Q school, qualifying school.

I couldn't care less about your name. Your hcp doesn't bother me, neither does your status or which ball you play. I am debating because you incorrectly state that you are required to have a hcp of 4 or lower to become a professional golfer. That's not true.

Q school, that's the one.

I don't recall saying that anyone had to have a handicap of 4. I haven't looked back so stand to be corrected but from memory I stated that I had to have a handicap of 4 because I went in as a trainee to become a pro.

It is in black and white on the pga website that now it is 3. So if any youngsters want to take that way to be a pro then they have to have a handicap of 3. It is correct, you are patently wrong.

Of course you can become a pro another way that doesn't warrant a handicap, but to do so the way I did it, then you do.

It is you are are, not mistaken, but wrong.

Player's school in the US is called "Qualifying School".

If you are an amateur when you apply, you must have a handicap of two or better.

Facts

To be eligible for a PGA Tour card, you must be 18 years of age by the first round of the first tournament in the season. Unless you are currently playing on the Nationwide Tour or have previously won a PGA tournament, you must earn this card by going to the PGA Qualifying Tournament. If you are an amateur, you must have a handicap index of at least two and must present a handicap card to participate in the tournament. This tournament is often referred to as Q-School or Qualifying School.

Read More: What Are the Requirements for a PGA Tour Card? | GolfLink.com http://www.golflink.com/facts_8066_what-requirements-pga-tour-card.html#ixzz1XnxT3hR

You then pay your $5,000 and play away in the various tournaments. How you finish determines whether you can play on the PGA Tour or not.

Forethat, you are playing the semantics game. Losing one's amateur status does not make you a professional golfer, in the accepted sense of the term. If an amateur golfer makes a hole-in-one during an amateur tournament and accepts the car on offer at the hole, he simply loses his amateur status and is no longer permitted to further participate in amateur tournaments as an amateur. He, however, cannot simply show up at a professional tournament and tee it up. He is, therefore, not a professional golfer in the accepted sense. He is, very simply put, no longer an Amateur.

As far as your other posts are concerned, you tell us nothing about your qualifications yet seem to think, simply by your sheer volume of words, that we should accept that you know what you are talking about.

Wallaby, on the other hand has been forthright in his arguments and has offered enough personal information about his experiences to convince me of his honesty and veracity. I have disagreed with him on some threads on TV, but I would happily play golf with him and I do respect his desire to play on a Senior's Tour. I just wish I had done more with my game earlier in life as he did.

I will now concede I am probably considered a "hacker" but, at my advanced stage in life and surviving too many battles, I am not nearly as limber and agile as I previously was. In my younger days I was no hacker except to somebody as elitist as you seem to be about your own golf game. Whatever your golf game really is!

Wow, I'll have to write to the PGA and tell them they were wrong all those years ago when they put the handicap limit on. I can assure you as fact that there was a handicap limit of 4. But then again, you know what my golfing history is.

PGA doesn't have anything to do with your playing status. If you want to you can become a professional golfer when you play of 23. If you want to become a member of PGA there's a limit. Mst national associations have a limit as well. But becoming a Professional golfer doesn't have anything to do with a private commercial interest.

If I'm not incorrect Ian Poulter turned professional at a point where he didn't qualify for PGA membership. The Swedish player Jarmo Sandelin was in the region of 4 or 5 when he turned professional.

Do you actually know ANYTHING about this...?

I think you must be talking about the Tour, not PGA membership.

When I turned pro I had to do a traineeship at a golf club. To do a traineeship you had to have a handicap of 4 or less. When you finished you were automatically a pro.

Thems the facts, like it or not.

Now please go away until you have sorted your issues.

Here is my quote. Please note the bold. Yes it is slightly in error. Back then it was 4, now it is 3, as I have posted on the link.

If you are an amateur when you apply, you must have a handicap of two or better.

Facts

To be eligible for a PGA Tour card, you must be 18 years of age by the first round of the first tournament in the season. Unless you are currently playing on the Nationwide Tour or have previously won a PGA tournament, you must earn this card by going to the PGA Qualifying Tournament. If you are an amateur, you must have a handicap index of at least two and must present a handicap card to participate in the tournament. This tournament is often referred to as Q-School or Qualifying School.

Read More: What Are the Requirements for a PGA Tour Card? | GolfLink.com http://www.golflink....ml#ixzz1XnxT3hR

You then pay your $5,000 and play away in the various tournaments. How you finish determines whether you can play on the PGA Tour or not.

Forethat, you are playing the semantics game. Losing one's amateur status does not make you a professional golfer, in the accepted sense of the term. If an amateur golfer makes a hole-in-one during an amateur tournament and accepts the car on offer at the hole, he simply loses his amateur status and is no longer permitted to further participate in amateur tournaments as an amateur. He, however, cannot simply show up at a professional tournament and tee it up. He is, therefore, not a professional golfer in the accepted sense. He is, very simply put, no longer an Amateur.

As far as your other posts are concerned, you tell us nothing about your qualifications yet seem to think, simply by your sheer volume of words, that we should accept that you know what you are talking about.

Wallaby, on the other hand has been forthright in his arguments and has offered enough personal information about his experiences to convince me of his honesty and veracity. I have disagreed with him on some threads on TV, but I would happily play golf with him and I do respect his desire to play on a Senior's Tour. I just wish I had done more with my game earlier in life as he did.

I will now concede I am probably considered a "hacker" but, at my advanced stage in life and surviving too many battles, I am not nearly as limber and agile as I previously was. In my younger days I was no hacker except to somebody as elitist as you seem to be about your own golf game. Whatever your golf game really is!

Quite well put, I wasn't bothered searching for everything, just going on what I remembered. I had no idea about the handicap but I suppose it stands to reason as you'd have every man and his dog wanting to play and cluttering up a dozen courses.

Yes we have had many disagreements on other threads so thank you for not using that against me.

By the way, I also have to pay $5k for the privilege of playing tournaments again. grrrrrr. But what the hell, it'll be more fun on seniors than it was when I was younger.

Perhaps when I make a move over to Thailand more often we should have a game of the UN v US. I take defeat quite well as long as we all have cold beer and a laugh. Good natured ribbing on the course is a must (especially laughing at my yips). Us two hackers, and Kenny can have a ball.

Facts

Read More: What Are the Requirements for a PGA Tour Card? | GolfLink.com http://www.golflink....ml#ixzz1XnxT3hR

Quite well put, I wasn't bothered searching for everything, just going on what I remembered. I had no idea about the handicap but I suppose it stands to reason as you'd have every man and his dog wanting to play and cluttering up a dozen courses.

Yes we have had many disagreements on other threads so thank you for not using that against me.

By the way, I also have to pay $5k for the privilege of playing tournaments again. grrrrrr. But what the hell, it'll be more fun on seniors than it was when I was younger.

Perhaps when I make a move over to Thailand more often we should have a game of the UN v US. I take defeat quite well as long as we all have cold beer and a laugh. Good natured ribbing on the course is a must (especially laughing at my yips). Us two hackers, and Kenny can have a ball.

Count me in for that, you can laugh at me completely miss hitting a 3 wood something I always do at least once in a round, but a great laugh!!

Don't leave me out from the term hacker, I assume I am one according to Mr forethat!!

Edited by kenny999

Just come back from shit hole Patong and find a lot more posts, calm down it's all about opinions and no need to get in to insults of any kind, if I have played with you forethat then of course I know who you are but still not sure, the ball marker you gave me is great, was that you? if so a nice guy and enjoyed the games!!

Obviously not who I am thinking it is as no response, honestly I have never come across any one so guarded about who they are, maybe we are dealing with an undercover agent of some kind!! lol

The numbers you are speaking of 63-64 every now and again for a 15 year old? Are you talking about a par 3 course?

No I am speaking about young talents who eventually make it to the tour but fail to succeed. You asked me how these players can shoot 63-64 on a round with the mates, but shoot 85 in a tour event.

Actually I wasn't asking that, I was pointing out that just because you've had a round of golf or two with a few failed golfers, it doesn't make you the font of all knowledge you claim to be.