What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

I've just found out that oz has recently changed the handicapping system, as of May this year it seems. Interesting to note that it only counts the best 10 of 20 rounds in a year and it also counted social games, most likely score on a hole, playing alone etc

Jeez the playing alone thing would be easy to manipulate. No wonder people have lower handicaps these days when you don't even have to play the hole out etc.

Is it true that the US uses this system?

There are many countries that doesn't allow you to adjust your handicap outside tournament or medal play.

Thanks for NOT answering my question.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The player yes but it also proves that the ball is not as important as the manufactures would have you believe!!

To get back on topic, I found this article published in GolfDigest. The author agrees with me that the golfball is very important. He actually goes as far as stating that playing the right golfball could be more important than being fit for the correct golf clubs.

http://www.golfdiges...ingtherightball

I would struggle to find anyone who thought the ball wasn't important.

Forethat, you are playing the semantics game. Losing one's amateur status does not make you a professional golfer, in the accepted sense of the term. If an amateur golfer makes a hole-in-one during an amateur tournament and accepts the car on offer at the hole, he simply loses his amateur status and is no longer permitted to further participate in amateur tournaments as an amateur. He, however, cannot simply show up at a professional tournament and tee it up. He is, therefore, not a professional golfer in the accepted sense. He is, very simply put, no longer an Amateur.

Of course you can, there are plenty of tournaments where you can do exactly this. They wouldn't be sanctioned by PGA, though. But as I said, PGA is not a body responsible for the definition of a professional golfer, it's an association.

And for your information, I am NOT playing the semantics game. Unfrtunately that cant be said for Wallaby. He has stated that he "turned pro" and that there was a a handicap limit of 4. This is incorrect. He didn't "turn pro". If I understand it correctly he signed up for a trainee program to become a teaching professional. The program was hosted by PGA of Australia. PGA of Australia may have a handicap limit for their members (so do almost all PGA subsidiaries), but they don't govern who can become a professional golfer. Wallaby changed his terminology at one point to "club pro", something I interpret as the point where he realized that he was wrong.

Not only are you playing semantics, you are downright lying.

I did turn pro, I did have to have a handicap of 4. What part of that don't you understand. The criteria for them to allow you to become a member and play pro was a handicap of 4. If you think I didn't then you call and ask if you can do it. You cannot play as a professional golfer, that is, make money out of playing in tournaments in my country unless you are a member of the pga. Soooooo, they have rules before you are accepted. Somehow I don't think you'll get it.

The trainee program is NOT to become a teaching professional. It is to become a pro, both touring pro and teaching pro. I never changed any terminology. Club pro or touring pro are common terminologies, but they are both pros.

Greg Norman did the same trainee program, I'm sure he's quite well known enough for people to understand he is in fact a golf pro.

Now I know you just won't accept facts as you have your own ideology and misguided sense of logic.

It is unusual to find a thread where only 1 person is arguing a point and everyone else knows he is wrong. So as I am not a lecturer in english, but a humble hacker pro, I will leave you all to it.

Wouldn't forethat be a bundle of laughs on the course. :D

Oh forgot. I do know what you are saying about the difference between a member of a pga and just being a pro. However, when I turned pro the first time you had to be a member of the pga to actually play. I imagine that is still the case. So really, it is just a nonsense what you are saying. You can say you are anything, say you are an astronaut for all anyone cares, but you can't just rock up and fly the space shuttle.

I'm sure everyone on here knows what I meant and what I'm talking about. Even you, but you just want to be difficult.. By the way, what sort of a tragic are you to have a photo of the face of your wedge?

Back on to the ball topic........Robert Allenby changes his ball after every hole. I don't think that has anything to do with an issue with the ball though, just seems like a habit.

You cannot play as a professional golfer, that is, make money out of playing in tournaments in my country unless you are a member of the pga. Soooooo, they have rules before you are accepted. Somehow I don't think you'll get it.

PGA doesn't have ANYTHING to do with who can play as a professional golfer. Anyone is free to make money out of playing golf in your country. What is about this that you cant understand?

I would say the others have got it by now. If I give it some time I'm sure it will sink in for you as well.

The criteria for them to allow you to become a member and play pro was a handicap of 4.

No, the criteria to become member and play in tournaments sanctioned by PGA was 4. No one is arguing this. but that doesn't have anything to do with becoming a professional golfer, make money in your country by playing golf.

The criteria for them to allow you to become a member and play pro was a handicap of 4.

No, the criteria to become member and play in tournaments sanctioned by PGA was 4. No one is arguing this. but that doesn't have anything to do with becoming a professional golfer, make money in your country by playing golf.

Can you <deleted> decide who is actually right and who is actually wrong, sorry but this is now getting extremely boring, thread started out as, do you remember "what ball do you use" my head is hurting with all this shish!!

Oh forgot. I do know what you are saying about the difference between a member of a pga and just being a pro. However, when I turned pro the first time you had to be a member of the pga to actually play. I imagine that is still the case. So really, it is just a nonsense what you are saying. You can say you are anything, say you are an astronaut for all anyone cares, but you can't just rock up and fly the space shuttle.

I'm sure everyone on here knows what I meant and what I'm talking about. Even you, but you just want to be difficult.. By the way, what sort of a tragic are you to have a photo of the face of your wedge?

Back on to the ball topic........Robert Allenby changes his ball after every hole. I don't think that has anything to do with an issue with the ball though, just seems like a habit.

I assume Mr Allenby and all the other pro's get there balls free!!

By the way, what sort of a tragic are you to have a photo of the face of your wedge?

I got the impression that you thought a wedge doesn't rip a ball to pieces?

I know several professionals golfers who changes their ball after each whole, though it's not for the reason I state above (not entirely). In addition, as a professional golfer I'm sure you're aware of ball sponsorship principles and how many balls a professional golfer on usually gets for free unless he's a top player on one of the bigger tours. I'm also confident you're aware of the difficulties surviving financially on the tour (unless your on PGA tour or a top player on one of the other bigger tours). You're not going to see anyone change ball after each whole, they'll change when the ball is scuffed.

As I said, since Wallaby is a "pro" I'm sure he can tell you how many balls an average professional golfer on one of the smaller tours gets for free from, for instance Acushnet (Titleist).

As I said, since Wallaby is a "pro" I'm sure he can tell you how many balls an average professional golfer on one of the smaller tours gets for free from, for instance Acushnet (Titleist).

I see no need in this instance to be sarcastic, you have the knowledge and are capable of answering my question!!

Can you <deleted> decide who is actually right and who is actually wrong, sorry but this is now getting extremely boring, thread started out as, do you remember "what ball do you use" my head is hurting with all this shish!!

The correct answer is that you can become a professional golfer at any hcp level. There are even professional tours that you are free to join and play for a fee. Just pay, sign up and tee up. I have pasted links to one of these professional tours, there are several others.

Whether a player is professional or not is not decided by PGA or any other association. PGA, like any other association, can limit the members who can become members anyway they want to, for instance by the hcp. But this only regulates who can become a member in that association. They don't have ANY control over who can play as a professional golfer in ANY country.

Edited by Forethat

I see no need in this instance to be sarcastic, you have the knowledge and are capable of answering my question!!

And if you actually read my posts you'll see that I have already answered your question,

Is it too much to ask that if you participate in the debate you actually READ others posts..?

This thread is becoming a load of balls. :jap:

Well it started off as a load of balls, it has now descended in to a load of technical balls that has passed way over my head!!!

And yet it started when you made the following completely incorrect statement which shows without any doubt that you have no clue what you talk about when it comes to golf:

The player yes but it also proves that the ball is not as important as the manufactures would have you believe!!

I would say (and I have linked to others who agree) that the ball is probably more important than most hackers think. Problem is that just as some put an incorrect relationship between Professional golf and PGA, there is no relationship between the concept "correct ball for you" and the price or type of a ball.

Edited by Forethat

And if you actually read my posts you'll see that I have already answered your question,

Is it too much to ask that if you participate in the debate you actually READ others posts..?

Well obviously mate I did not read your post before I submitted my question, fuc_king hell grow up, thread was about golf balls not the in's and outs of the PGA and any thing else you keep trying to force others to believe. you are most definitely a dick!!!

Oh mate I have never said I know as much as you, you are so clever I wish I was like you, apart from being a complete wan*er of course!!

It is clear and obvious all your information is being taken from a book, I doubt you are even a golfer, you are the biggest troller these forums have ever seen, you want to trade insults bring it on, I am the worlds best at tit for tat comments!!

Edited by kenny999

you are most definitely a dick!!!

Oh mate I have never said I know as much as you, you are so clever I wish I was like you, apart from being a complete wan*er of course!!

With regards to "being a dick";

My experience shows that what people perceives as being signs of an incredibly rude and unsightly nature of personality is when someone points out that they are wrong.

It becomes even nastier if the person in question moreover is ready to explicate WHY someone is wrong – and in addition is prepared to show empiric facts that clearly exemplifies how crazy an argument might be. In the event of such case, you are clearly dealing with an asocial madman who - in the event that you are totally unable to defend your complete and utter lack of knowledge or incorrect gibberish, for that matter - should be barred from this forum if not only to prevent the sinister character from revealing someone's lack of argument with proper statements supported by empiric facts - which is apparently perceived as being "a dick".

The day it's decided that members can not be "a dick"; it is inevitable that this forum will lose - in my opinion - the last of whatever charms it initially had. With that in mind, I will continue to be as big "dick" as I potentially can.

By the way, did anyone tell you that PGA doesn't regulate who can become a professional golfer?

My experience shows that what people perceives as being signs of an incredibly rude and unsightly nature of personality is when someone points out that they are wrong.

It becomes even nastier if the person in question moreover is ready to explicate WHY someone is wrong – and in addition is prepared to show empiric facts that clearly exemplifies how crazy an argument might be. In the event of such case, you are clearly dealing with an asocial madman who - in the event that you are totally unable to defend your complete and utter lack of knowledge or incorrect gibberish, for that matter - should be barred from this forum if not only to prevent the sinister character from revealing someone's lack of argument with proper statements supported by empiric facts - which is apparently perceived as being "a dick".

The day it's decided that members can not be "a dick"; it is inevitable that this forum will lose - in my opinion - the last of whatever charms it initially had. With that in mind, I will continue to be as big "dick" as I potentially can.

By the way, did anyone tell you that PGA doesn't regulate who can become a professional golfer?

ha ha I know nothing about the PGA ha ha barred from forums because this thread which started out all nice and pleasant has turned nasty because of YOU!! mate grow up!!

Matey this is a computer chat site where being nasty is par for the course, normally it turns cyber nasty because people have a difference of opinions, the term nasty only becomes real in person, I have never been nasty in person, how about you!!

Edited by kenny999

ha ha I know nothing about the PGA ha ha barred from forums because this thread which started out all nice and pleasant has turned nasty because of YOU!! mate grow up!!

I am sure that any poster who's read the thread can verify who's keeping the debate at an acceptable level and who's not.

I am sure that any poster who's read the thread can verify who's keeping the debate at an acceptable level and who's not.

An acceptable level would be sticking to the op, instead this thread has been turned in to a battle ground for a couple of people who think their opinion and knowledge is correct, I know what I know about golf which is not a lot, oh I know a course has 9 or 18 holes, I know you must get the ball in the little hole in as few shots as possible, I know the ball should be struck with a square club face, a little ball with dimples is used, 14 clubs are allowed in the bag, not much else I need to know!! so now post some thing relevant to the op or go some where else!!

Your own link is saying you have to have a handicap.

Professional golfers with a single digit handicap above 4.0 or a scoring average of 75 and above will be eligible to play in the Developmental Division. And

Professional golfers with a single digit handicap that have reached the age of 50 may compete in the Masters Division. Master Division members are eligible to play in any Local Tour tournament. They may play in any Regional Major tournament for which they are qualified upon submission of the full entry fee.

Chuckd, I don't think one should waste more time on people that have absolutely no idea of the game. Playing golf from an early age usually teaches people about manners, among other things, and any player worth his salt would not refer to good players as hackers, especially if they are one themselves. Not one person I know would refer to a person who bogeys every hole as a hacker. Well now I know of one.

We have repeatedly proven he is wrong and he just won't accept it. Some people are just like that. I prefer to be around positive people who are happy just to be out playing the game. But we all know every club has an oddball who thinks he knows everything. Those that talk the loudest, understand the least.

This is becoming funny now...and you complained about my abilities to read English...? OK, I'm not going to accuse you of th same, perhaps you made an honest mistake so I'll point out to you what it says on the website in question.

If you want to play on the National Pro Golf Tour I suggest you enter the Open division. It'll cost you $4500. The developmental division you are referring to above, have a MAXIMUM hcp. You are not allowed to enter this division in case you have a hcp LOWER than 4.

http://www.nationalprotour.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?clientid=4941&leagueid=17754&pageid=9507

If you want to enter the Open division you pay the $4500 to become a member of the NPGT and then the entry fee for a tournament. kenny999 can become a member of this tour and play for money as a professional golfer. Can you please tell me what the Australian PGA got to do with this....? No, I didn't think so....

:lol:

An acceptable level would be sticking to the op, instead this thread has been turned in to a battle ground for a couple of people who think their opinion and knowledge is correct, I know what I know about golf which is not a lot, oh I know a course has 9 or 18 holes, I know you must get the ball in the little hole in as few shots as possible, I know the ball should be struck with a square club face, a little ball with dimples is used, 14 clubs are allowed in the bag, not much else I need to know!! so now post some thing relevant to the op or go some where else!!

Well, excuse me - I'm only answering YOUR questions (except the one about my hcp which is irrelevant just as yours or anyone else's handicap). Have you forgot all that...?

I disagree. I think the ball is VERY important, probably even more important to a hacker than a PRO.

Feel free to enlighten us all with your knowledge!!

It would also be interesting to know your definition of the word hacker!! if you mean some one that can not hit the ball correctly then how will he benefit from a good ball, at the end of the day the ball has to be struck with a square club face and a down ward strike to impart that spin, if the hacker can not do this then I can not see how a good ball will help him!!

Mate their are 9 pages of posts, what am I Mr memory man, plus my brain has been bombarded with so much bull shit(well it is too me any way, I can't remember what I posted other than my initial op!! and I am certainly not going to go through 9 pages of posts looking at what I previously posted, bloody nightmare!!!

Professional golfers with a single digit handicap above 4.0 or a scoring average of 75 and above will be eligible to play in the Developmental Division. And

Professional golfers with a single digit handicap that have reached the age of 50 may compete in the Masters Division. Master Division members are eligible to play in any Local Tour tournament. They may play in any Regional Major tournament for which they are qualified upon submission of the full entry fee.

Chuckd, I don't think one should waste more time on people that have absolutely no idea of the game. Playing golf from an early age usually teaches people about manners, among other things, and any player worth his salt would not refer to good players as hackers, especially if they are one themselves. Not one person I know would refer to a person who bogeys every hole as a hacker. Well now I know of one.

We have repeatedly proven he is wrong and he just won't accept it. Some people are just like that. I prefer to be around positive people who are happy just to be out playing the game. But we all know every club has an oddball who thinks he knows everything. Those that talk the loudest, understand the least.

This is becoming funny now...and you complained about my abilities to read English...? OK, I'm not going to accuse you of th same, perhaps you made an honest mistake so I'll point out to you what it says on the website in question.

If you want to play on the National Pro Golf Tour I suggest you enter the Open division. It'll cost you $4500. The developmental division you are referring to above, have a MAXIMUM hcp. You are not allowed to enter this division in case you have a hcp LOWER than 4.

http://www.nationalp...754&pageid=9507

If you want to enter the Open division you pay the $4500 to become a member of the NPGT and then the entry fee for a tournament. kenny999 can become a member of this tour and play for money as a professional golfer. Can you please tell me what the Australian PGA got to do with this....? No, I didn't think so....

Now that is funny, me enter a tournament for money, my swing would crumble under the pressure, I get nervous standing on the first tee with only the caddy watching lol

Yes, 1 doz per tournament is/was the norm. Titleist are not known for their generosity either. When Titleist provide the range balls they are 'seconds' but still quite good but the local Titleist agent has to pay for any of the range balls that are lost (or stolen by caddies).

http://www.nationalp...754&pageid=9507

Now that is funny, me enter a tournament for money, my swing would crumble under the pressure, I get nervous standing on the first tee with only the caddy watching lol

I think pretty much everyone is nervous on the first tee, some more than others. No shame in that.

And then imagine Wallaby next to the tee mumbling something like "....ehhhh....uuuuhhhh.....I thought PGA Australia said you needed a maximium 4 in hcp before you turned pro????...uuuuhhhh....eeeehhhhh"

:cheesy:

Ok, I'll bite. Please tell me what professional tournaments I can play in as a pro in oz without being a member of the pga?

But really, as I said earlier, I believe you are quite aware of what I'm talking about and are now just being pig headed and boorish, which is usually the case with wannabe groupies.

Yes, 1 doz per tournament is/was the norm. Titleist are not known for their generosity either. When Titleist provide the range balls they are 'seconds' but still quite good but the local Titleist agent has to pay for any of the range balls that are lost (or stolen by caddies).

Caddies steal the balls? then again my mate always plays with range balls, bloody tinkers!!