What Golf Ball Do You Use?

kenny999

Now that is funny, me enter a tournament for money, my swing would crumble under the pressure, I get nervous standing on the first tee with only the caddy watching lol

And then imagine Wallaby next to the tee mumbling something like "....ehhhh....uuuuhhhh.....I thought PGA Australia said you needed a maximium 4 in hcp before you turned pro????...uuuuhhhh....eeeehhhhh"

:cheesy:

What tournament for money could he enter in oz without being a pga member? Just download the entry forms and have a look. But you already know that.

Nearly as silly as you saying I can play pro tournaments without being a pga member. Yes I can, but there aren't any. Kind of defeats the premise of your argument.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that is funny, me enter a tournament for money, my swing would crumble under the pressure, I get nervous standing on the first tee with only the caddy watching lol

And then imagine Wallaby next to the tee mumbling something like "....ehhhh....uuuuhhhh.....I thought PGA Australia said you needed a maximium 4 in hcp before you turned pro????...uuuuhhhh....eeeehhhhh"

Mate calm down no need is there!!

What tournament for money could he enter in oz without being a pga member? Just download the entry forms and have a look. But you already know that.

Nearly as silly as you saying I can play pro tournaments without being a pga member. Yes I can, but there aren't any. Kind of defeats the premise of your argument.

http://www.nationalprotour.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?clientid=4941&leagueid=17754&pageid=9890

Just pay $4500 to become a member, pay the entry fee for a tournament and play.

And another one:

http://gatewayprotour.com/

Seriosly, Wallaby, do you really think that PGA is the only way someone can play professional golf? You just cant be that thick, is is all just a foolish attempt to avoid admitting that you are dead wrong. I know your type very well, they're despised pretty much everywhere. Say after me: "I was wrong". Wasn't too difficult, huh!?

How many more examples do you want..?

I'm dont know this tour personally , but I understand this one follows the same concept. Just become a member and play. I'm not sure though. I could be wrong about this one.

http://sunbeltseniortour.com/

You wrong it just could not happen!! lol

Just thought at the end of this month my golf will be non existent, unless I travel off this Island, every course here over 4000 bht no way will I pay that, bloody Phunaka puts it's prices up to 2000 bht including caddy fee and tip, no way I am paying that for a little 9 hole course!!!

http://www.nationalp...754&pageid=9890

Just pay $4500 to become a member, pay the entry fee for a tournament and play.

As far as I can see that is only in the US. I'm in oz and since you have commented I can play as a pro without being a pga member, my question was......what tournaments I can play here without being a member of the pga in oz?

I don't think I'll be playing any tour in the US, not up to that standard. I'll be just playing a few events here in oz and then go for the geriatrics tour in Asia (perhaps I won't have to be a member of the pga for the old tour, I doubt it though). Which reminds me, I must find out about playing in Asia. My coach thinks it's best I go to Malaysia as golf is booming there. Do some teaching and play over there and the rest of Asia.

Maybe he just doesn't want to coach me and is sending me into exile. :D

Many years ago thee were lots of tournaments in South America with a lot of cash to be won. Some of today's top pro:s went down there to make a bit of cash every now and then when they were young. There were always a bunch of Professional golfer wannabees who struggled to break 90. They never gave up, I have seen some of these players appear in tournaments year after year with being able to put together a decent score ONCE, and by decent I mean level par. They have never been members of PGA.

You should check out Colombia, there are some serious stories from that place. Even I could tell you a couple.

Wallaby:

I went to bed after my last post yesterday...around midnight in LOS. Our intrepid friend with the enlarged ego did not scare me off, as he would like to believe.

I awoke this morning bright eyed and bushy tailed, got my coffee, opened several sites that garner more interest from me and then surrendered to the tragic call of this one. I see nothing has changed other than we now have a link to peruse, thoughtfully provided by our friend with no handicap.

Well, I have perused his link and, giving the devil his due, there are two questions in the FAQ that might support his contention that amateurs can play in professional tournaments regardless of their handicap. That was his argument wasn't it?

Here are the questions and responses to each:

Do I have to be a member to compete in NPGT events?

Non-members can only compete in Local Tour events. There will be a

non-member entry fee.

Can amateurs play in NPGT events?

Yes, but only at the Local Tour level. There are no prizes or awards for amateurs.

There are no other questions about handicaps, other than the one you previously mentioned from his link.

I am therefore forced to conclude that any old 24 handicapper can show up and play with the professional tournament leader by simply paying a fee.

By the way...has ANYBODY ever heard of this group before?

Besides that I have now come to agree with what you said earlier. Forethat is a troll and enjoys stirring people up. Having been stirred up enough, I will now cease and desist from this thread and suggest others do the same. It does no good to argue with a stone wall and I have already spent more than enough time making the attempt.

He will now insult me, claim victory and thrust his chest out...and I couldn't care less.

See you on other threads. Let us remain friendly there as well.

I'm dont know this tour personally , but I understand this one follows the same concept. Just become a member and play. I'm not sure though. I could be wrong about this one.

Just thought at the end of this month my golf will be non existent, unless I travel off this Island, every course here over 4000 bht no way will I pay that, bloody Phunaka puts it's prices up to 2000 bht including caddy fee and tip, no way I am paying that for a little 9 hole course!!!

I struggle with the concept of living in Phuket if golf is an important part of what you're after. There are other places that offers similar concepts, minus the white beaches.

Hua Hin is nice but doesn't offer the same variation as Bangkok or Pattaya. No nightgolf ( I love playing nightgolf with the mates) in Hua Hin.

You seem to be a keen golfer, so get out of that overpriced place.

Wallaby:

I went to bed after my last post yesterday...around midnight in LOS. Our intrepid friend with the enlarged ego did not scare me off, as he would like to believe.

I awoke this morning bright eyed and bushy tailed, got my coffee, opened several sites that garner more interest from me and then surrendered to the tragic call of this one. I see nothing has changed other than we now have a link to peruse, thoughtfully provided by our friend with no handicap.

Well, I have perused his link and, giving the devil his due, there are two questions in the FAQ that might support his contention that amateurs can play in professional tournaments regardless of their handicap. That was his argument wasn't it?

non-member entry fee.

Yes, but only at the Local Tour level. There are no prizes or awards for amateurs.

There are no other questions about handicaps, other than the one you previously mentioned from his link.

I am therefore forced to conclude that any old 24 handicapper can show up and play with the professional tournament leader by simply paying a fee.

Besides that I have now come to agree with what you said earlier. Forethat is a troll and enjoys stirring people up. Having been stirred up enough, I will now cease and desist from this thread and suggest others do the same. It does no good to argue with a stone wall and I have already spent more than enough time making the attempt.

He will now insult me, claim victory and thrust his chest out...and I couldn't care less.

So you admit that I was right?

Thanks!!

And another one:

Seriosly, Wallaby, do you really think that PGA is the only way someone can play professional golf? You just cant be that thick, is is all just a foolish attempt to avoid admitting that you are dead wrong. I know your type very well, they're despised pretty much everywhere. Say after me: "I was wrong". Wasn't too difficult, huh!?

Wrong about what?

I just cannot fathom that you don't understand what I'm saying, surely you aren't that daft.

I'll try it this way. In 1983 I want to become a pro in oz. Please tell me what pro tournaments I could play in where I didn't have to be a member of the pga?

The links you provided are not in oz, well not that I can see anyway.

Actually, if you had read (judging from the way you approach this I'd say you haven't, but I hope I am wrong) my posts in this thread, I touched on this topic briefly some while ago. Not all players becomes successful on the big tours. Some choose to make cash on the smaller tours around the world, some become teaching professionals (mostly PGA) others make their living making yardage books or becomes caddies. There are several ways to make money as a professional golfer, and when you start your career as a professional golfer you learn many ways to earn cash. Playing on one of the PGA tours is only one of them, and in all fairness the most difficult one.

I struggle with the concept of living in Phuket if golf is an important part of what you're after. There are other places that offers similar concepts, minus the white beaches.

Hua Hin is nice but doesn't offer the same variation as Bangkok or Pattaya. No nightgolf ( I love playing nightgolf with the mates) in Hua Hin.

You seem to be a keen golfer, so get out of that overpriced place.

I like Phuket but the golf green fee's are ridiculous!! fortunately their is a course I can play not far from Surat Thani okay it's approx 100 kms away but I have been told a great course where the green fee is 600 bht Mon too Fri, the GF wants her daughter to go to school here so what can I do!!

And another one:

Wrong about what?

I just cannot fathom that you don't understand what I'm saying, surely you aren't that daft.

I'll try it this way. In 1983 I want to become a pro in oz. Please tell me what pro tournaments I could play in where I didn't have to be a member of the pga?

I dont now anything about professional golf tours in oz, I've never played in oz. But I do know Australian golfers who play professional golf outside oz. I would say your options are slim if you want to make a living as a professional golfer in oz unless you opt for the PGA route, just the way you did. Obviously that doesn't change the fact that you don't need to become a member of PGA to become a professional golfer.

Wallaby:

non-member entry fee.

Hey chuck. The query isn't about an amateur playing in a pro tournament, I've done that myself as an amateur, it happens all the time with state players being invited, also amateurs on say a 2 handicap are allowed to try and pre qualify for events.

I have no idea what happens in the US, I'm not there, I've never been there. My issue is that, when I turned pro in 1983 I had to be off less than 4 to do a traineeship. The only other option (that I know of) is to do the players school (now known as Q school). If I take it as accepted that you don't have to be a member of the oz pga to be a pro here, then what tournaments in oz could I play in 1983 as a pro?

There could be tournaments in oz now, I don't know, but I've asked for links if there are any.

I've never bothered looking as it doesn't affect me at all because I'm a pga member, I don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

I'm sure you and everyone else, except one, understood exactly what I was talking about when I discussed what I did and what I was doing and was just being childish.

Edit: Chuck, now that I know you and Kenny are keen bashers of the dimpled rock I will of course be more friendly on the 'other' threads'. Cheers

Edited by Wallaby

And another one:

Wrong about what?

I dont now anything about professional golf tours in oz, I've never played in oz. But I do know Australian golfers who play professional golf outside oz. I would say your options are slim if you want to make a living as a professional golfer in oz unless you opt for the PGA route, just the way you did. Obviously that doesn't change the fact that you don't need to become a member of PGA to become a professional golfer.

Oh I definitely agree, very slim pickings, even for the normal tour here there isn't too much, old man events are even more rare. I'm going to have to research more about Asia. I enjoy the life there and hopefully there will be more in it for an old hacker.

To be honest I'd never heard of any of the tours you linked. That could be because they didn't concern me as I had pga membership, also maybe they weren't on here. I don't know how many in the US would have heard of them. Not a bad idea though.

Wallaby:

non-member entry fee.

Hey chuck. The query isn't about an amateur playing in a pro tournament, I've done that myself as an amateur, it happens all the time with state players being invited, also amateurs on say a 2 handicap are allowed to try and pre qualify for events.

I have no idea what happens in the US, I'm not there, I've never been there. My issue is that, when I turned pro in 1983 I had to be off less than 4 to do a traineeship. The only other option (that I know of) is to do the players school (now known as Q school). If I take it as accepted that you don't have to be a member of the oz pga to be a pro here, then what tournaments in oz could I play in 1983 as a pro?

There could be tournaments in oz now, I don't know, but I've asked for links if there are any.

I've never bothered looking as it doesn't affect me at all because I'm a pga member, I don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

I'm sure you and everyone else, except one, understood exactly what I was talking about when I discussed what I did and what I was doing and was just being childish.

Edit: Chuck, now that I know you and Kenny are keen bashers of the dimpled rock I will of course be more friendly on the 'other' threads'. Cheers

I am a very keen basher but also a poor one, bloody Phuket!!!

Wallaby:

non-member entry fee.

Since I am not replying to a troll post, I will respond.

The nearest golf course to me is 80 kilometers. It is the Thai Army course in Loei. A nine holer you play twice from different tees. Quite a lot of water, quite a few carries over deep jungle and it is situated on the side of a mountain. It's a real challenge to get around at times. The jungle is such that I don't try and find any ball hit into the jungle. That's what I let my caddy and wife do. They get to look for any balls hit into cobra country.

Green fee is 200 baht, caddy fee is 150 and cart is 500. Tip the caddy and the round is less than 1,000.

That doesn't include the cost of lost Titleist Pro-v golf balls.

Wallaby:

non-member entry fee.

Since I am not replying to a troll post, I will respond.

The nearest golf course to me is 80 kilometers. It is the Thai Army course in Loei. A nine holer you play twice from different tees. Quite a lot of water, quite a few carries over deep jungle and it is situated on the side of a mountain. It's a real challenge to get around at times. The jungle is such that I don't try and find any ball hit into the jungle. That's what I let my caddy and wife do. They get to look for any balls hit into cobra country.

Green fee is 200 baht, caddy fee is 150 and cart is 500. Tip the caddy and the round is less than 1,000.

That doesn't include the cost of lost Titleist Pro-v golf balls.

I can't complain as it is my choice to live here, their are many ex-pats who can afford golf club memberships and the very high green fee's here so for them all is fine, hopefully I can travel to the Dam course not far from Surat Thani in the future, my mate is trying to get a better deal for his hotel so hopefully that will be 300 bht for 18 holes, it will be worth the 2 hr journey not to be ripped off..

To be honest I'd never heard of any of the tours you linked. That could be because they didn't concern me as I had pga membership, also maybe they weren't on here. I don't know how many in the US would have heard of them. Not a bad idea though.

I have played in a dozen of these small time events. Some of the scores I have seen are absolutely ridiculous, which only proves that there are many many professional golfers with the ability to shoot a normal golf course to pieces, despite a length of over 7000 yards. Most of them you have never heard of. I would say it's a mental thing, many players have the ability to shoot 62, but not many can do it when it counts, and they cant do it all the time - which is what you'll have to do to make it on the tour. Imagine shooting 62-64 and get a winners check of $3000 ....?

I played a tournament at Blue Heron Pines outside Atlantic City (course is gone now, I think) and the guy I played with was off +6 and had an accumulated score of more than -100 for the last 10 tournaments. That's one hundred under par for 20 rounds played, averaging (-5). That's awesome. I cant even remember the guys name.

Check out Martin Kaymer when he was an absolute nobody back in 2006. He played on a small professional tour (EPD) in Germany ran by the German PGA. After half the season he was leading the order of merit by RIDICULOUS amounts. In Habsberg Classic he shot 68 - 59 - 62, this is a Graham Marsh course measuring 7100 from the tips. The neext week he came second on -12. The week after that he won after 68 - 68 - 68. Week after that he won with 68 - 60 - 64. Yeah, but this is Martin Kaymer, you're probably thinking. But remember this was when he was an absolute nobody, playing on a small professional tour in Germany.

The reason I'm telling you this is that even though you're free to pay the membership fee and enter one of these tournaments (subject to fee), the competition is absolutely scary, and this is on a tour where the winners check averages $2500-3000.

Edited by Forethat

I can't complain as it is my choice to live here, their are many ex-pats who can afford golf club memberships and the very high green fee's here so for them all is fine, hopefully I can travel to the Dam course not far from Surat Thani in the future, my mate is trying to get a better deal for his hotel so hopefully that will be 300 bht for 18 holes, it will be worth the 2 hr journey not to be ripped off..

How about becoming a member somewhere? I know the prices are high, but look at it as reducing the price. I cant see how it could be an investment, because I don't expect the prices to go up, but at least you wouldn't lose money. 4000 plus caddie and tips is a ripoff meant for tourists.

Edited by Forethat

How about becoming a member somewhere? I know the prices are high, but look at it as reducing the price. I cant see how it could be an investment, because I don't expect the prices to go up, but at least you wouldn't lose money. 4000 plus caddie and tips is a ripoff meant for tourists.

Are you serious not sure about this, Blue Canyon 1.2 million bht for membership, approx 25,000 bht per yr maintenance, this does not, again not sure caddy fee's and tips. and yes this is a tourist Island and the prices are geared for tourists...

Are you serious not sure about this, Blue Canyon 1.2 million bht for membership, approx 25,000 bht per yr maintenance, this does not, again not sure caddy fee's and tips. and yes this is a tourist Island and the prices are geared for tourists...

If you leave you can sell the membership and get your money back.

Blue Canyon membership is currently for sale at 810.000 (that's a family membership!). Phuket CC is 650.000. Banyan Tree is 350.000. Loch Palm 560.000

At 25.000 maintenance + caddie fees, one years worth of golf would be muuuuch cheaper if you play 3 rounds per week, than if you pay green fee each time.

Edited by Forethat

If you leave you can sell the membership and get your money back.

Blue Canyon membership is currently for sale at 810.000 (that's a family membership!). Phuket CC is 650.000. Banyan Tree is 350.000. Loch Palm 560.000

At 25.000 maintenance + caddie fees, one years worth of golf would be muuuuch cheaper if you play 3 rounds per week, than if you pay green fee each time.

Laguna says membership is 950,000 bht too much for me, I am not wealthy enough to lay out this sort of money all in one go!!

Laguna says membership is 950,000 bht too much for me, I am not wealthy enough to lay out this sort of money all in one go!!

I dont know about Laguna. Rule number one: NEVER buy the membership at listed price. You can always find a member who wants to sell his/hers membership for much less. There are even brokers who trade in these, and by buying from them you will give them a slice of the pie.

http://www.thailandg...emberships.com/

I dont know about Laguna. Rule number one: NEVER buy the membership at listed price. You can always find a member who wants to sell his/hers membership for much less. There are even brokers who trade in these, and by buying from them you will give them a slice of the pie.

http://www.thailandg...emberships.com/

okay lets put it this way, in the UK you can get membership of a top course for maybe £200(yes I know this is Thailand, the course I was a member at was about this amount, just because I love golf I am not going to be forced in to buying membership on rip off Island.com as I said it's my choice to live here and I will have no problem making the 200 km round trip to play a fantastic course for a fraction of what it costs here, I will hopefully do this trip 2 or 3 times a month which will be fine.. obviously there will be fuel charges to consider etc but at least I will not feel I am being treated as a tourist, I live here I should not have to pay these stupid prices, but it is life and has to be accepted.

As for buying membership then selling at some point, be ready to be offered a ridiculous price for that membership. people want a bargain and will pay nothing like what you paid for it!!

Edited by kenny999

okay lets put it this way, in the UK you can get membership of a top course for maybe £200

I would be interested in knowing which top club this would be? I have been a member at a couple of golf clubs out of which I would rate one or two as a great but not a top club (for instance, The Buckinghamshire). And when I joined there the joining fee was £2500, and the subscription £1200 for a total of £3700 the first year. Where can you join and get a sub at a top club for £200...?

As for buying membership then selling at some point, be ready to be offered a ridiculous price for that membership. people want a bargain and will pay nothing like what you paid for it!!

Exactly, that is why you shouldn't pay the listed price. If you'd want to sell you can get cash payment from one of the many brokers the exists. I have given you one example.