Urgent Need B Negative Blood

BarnicaleBob

A locally organised blood group database would be a great thing. Im UK based for now or I would help organise it.

There was such a thing organised on Thaivisa about 5 or 6 years ago.

I think it was called Bloodbank-Thaivisa or similar. A number of members registered their locations and blood types to be available if needed.

It seems to have disappeared from the forum.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK HAS FOUND AND IS PROVIDING ALL THE NEEDED BLOOD FOR PAT WEBB. CONTACT AT THE HOSPITAL HAS JUST NOW TOLD ME TO POST THAT FURTHER DONATIONS ARE NOT REQUIRED.

Because Bangkok can provide the blood and B- is so rarely needed in CNX, Ram does not want build up a supply that might be wasted.

The availability of rhesus negative blood is a real issue in Thailand and Asia more broadly -- see below from a recent magazine article. It's not the fault of the Thai hospital system it is the rarearity of the blood type here. BNH Hospital's Central Blood Register -- (do a google search, this system won't let me post links) -- is a potentia life-saver for anyone in Thailand with Rhesus negative blood. There are surprisingly few people currently registered on it and donors can only provide once every three months. So the supply of negative blood is dangerous low at any point in time. If you are rhesus negative please register with the CBR. If you are caucasian and don't know your blood type please get it checked -- I can probably organise for this to be done for free with BNH.

"We were also pleased to be joined at All Chambers Sundowners by BNH Hospital to promote its Central Blood Register. Given the extreme rarity of rhesus negative blood in Thailand, anyone with a negative blood type owes BNH an enormous vote of thanks for maintaining the register. Without it, there would be no mechanism for monitoring or replenishing the (almost scarily) small amount of rhesus negative blood available. If you are Caucasian and do not know you blood type, I would strongly encourage you to have to have it checked – less than 1% of the population in Thailand has rhesus negative blood, yet it is found in 15% of Caucasians. That means it is in very short supply and if you are Caucasian there’s a much greater likelihood of you needing it!"

Thanks for the info about the BNH blood register, I will go and see if they are interested in my British mad cow infected blood. The Red Cross do also keep a register of negative donors, send newsletters and arrange events. I do get texts and phone calls from them at times so they are tracking people who have already donated.

http://www.rh-negative.com/

The patient has severe internal bleeding and the "best hospital in Chiang Mai" has no one to take blood? <deleted> is up with that? Absolutely pathetic. And there are some who say the health care here is equal to that in the west.

It's a rare blood type.

Edited by andrewfenn

UPDATE: Pat Webb is now in need of blood ASAP. This is due to his unexpected loss of blood during the night. His wife just called and his BP is very low and must have blood. The lab is now open for donations. The hospital is asking that donors please come to the lab on the first floor, tell them you are donating for Patrick Webb. Thank you all in advance.

mate can we have it sent from bangkok .is there a system that couriers medical stuff . there must be a bigger base here so we coukld send it all together .

The availability of rhesus negative blood is a real issue in Thailand and Asia more broadly -- see below from a recent magazine article. It's not the fault of the Thai hospital system it is the rarearity of the blood type here. BNH Hospital's Central Blood Register -- (do a google search, this system won't let me post links) -- is a potentia life-saver for anyone in Thailand with Rhesus negative blood. There are surprisingly few people currently registered on it and donors can only provide once every three months. So the supply of negative blood is dangerous low at any point in time. If you are rhesus negative please register with the CBR. If you are caucasian and don't know your blood type please get it checked -- I can probably organise for this to be done for free with BNH.

"We were also pleased to be joined at All Chambers Sundowners by BNH Hospital to promote its Central Blood Register. Given the extreme rarity of rhesus negative blood in Thailand, anyone with a negative blood type owes BNH an enormous vote of thanks for maintaining the register. Without it, there would be no mechanism for monitoring or replenishing the (almost scarily) small amount of rhesus negative blood available. If you are Caucasian and do not know you blood type, I would strongly encourage you to have to have it checked – less than 1% of the population in Thailand has rhesus negative blood, yet it is found in 15% of Caucasians. That means it is in very short supply and if you are Caucasian there's a much greater likelihood of you needing it!"

Oh, was going to go give blood and found I can't in Thailand as I lived in the UK during the period stated. From the BNH RH-ve site: "Patients and laboratory animal studies have shown that vCJD can be transmitted through transfusion. Therefore some countries, including Thailand, prohibit donations of blood from people who have resided in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for several months (more than 6 month in Thailand)."

Correct, those who lived in UK during the Mad Cow/BSE period are typically prevented from donating blood. So that's another reason why there are so few donors registered on the Central Blood Register (CBR). It means that everyone with an interest in there being good stocks of Rhesus negative blood need to encourage people to find out their blood type and, if they can, register for the CBR and any similar lists. If I recall correctly, when the Mad Cow/BSE ban was put in place it reduced the number of potential donors on the CBR by something like half. So the pool of donors got smaller while the pool of those who might need blood stayed the same, or increased.

"Oh, was going to go give blood and found I can't in Thailand as I lived in the UK during the period stated. From the BNH RH-ve site: "Patients and laboratory animal studies have shown that vCJD can be transmitted through transfusion. Therefore some countries, including Thailand, prohibit donations of blood from people who have resided in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for several months (more than 6 month in Thailand)."

Correct, those who lived in UK during the Mad Cow/BSE period are typically prevented from donating blood. So that's another reason why there are so few donors registered on the Central Blood Register (CBR). It means that everyone with an interest in there being good stocks of Rhesus negative blood need to encourage people to find out their blood type and, if they can, register for the CBR and any similar lists. If I recall correctly, when the Mad Cow/BSE ban was put in place it reduced the number of potential donors on the CBR by something like half. So the pool of donors got smaller while the pool of those who might need blood stayed the same, or increased.

"Oh, was going to go give blood and found I can't in Thailand as I lived in the UK during the period stated. From the BNH RH-ve site: "Patients and laboratory animal studies have shown that vCJD can be transmitted through transfusion. Therefore some countries, including Thailand, prohibit donations of blood from people who have resided in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for several months (more than 6 month in Thailand)."

And I'm O negative. What a shame.

Don't seem to recall this rule in the UK though!

Thanks to all for the well wishes and offers to aid a perfect stranger. At this time there is not a need for blood donations. 6 units were located in Bangkok this morning and was shipped to Chiang Mai. Mr. Webb is currently in surgery repairing a break in his intestinal wall that was causing the problem. Further updates to follow as they occur.

And I'm O negative. What a shame.

Don't seem to recall this rule in the UK though!

Everyone there already has Mad Cows. :rolleyes:

I was in the UK at this time for some weeks, but apparently not long enough to prevent my donating in Australia. :blink:

B+.

It is with great sorry I have to inform everyone that our friend and comrade Patrick Webb has passed away this afternoon at approximately 12:30 pm. Everyone's efforts to help is great appreciated by all of his family and friends. Arrangement are being made and will be posted when they are finalized.

It is with great sorry I have to inform everyone that our friend and comrade Patrick Webb has passed away this afternoon at approximately 12:30 pm. Everyone's efforts to help is great appreciated by all of his family and friends. Arrangement are being made and will be posted when they are finalized.

Mate you gave it your best shot and you should be commended. My condolences to the family and all who knew him.

Maybe the administrators on here could set up some sort of registry where T. visa members could voluntarily register thier blood groups and thier wishes to donate if another such incident should arise.

Chiang Mai Ram hospital does blood type test/rhesus test for 170 baht. (tell them 'no doctor')

I got there with the hope my blood was compatible at 10am, but it ended up being B+ after the test results. So could not donate, i encourage others to get the test done to see what type of blood you have even if it's just for the sake of knowing. I offer my condolences to Pat Webb and family.

The hospital will take your name and contact information and have you go through a checklist with your permission and keep it on record, if the need for certain blood types should ever arise.

Chiang Mai Ram hospital does blood type test/rhesus test for 170 baht. (tell them 'no doctor')

I got there with the hope my blood was compatible at 10am, but it ended up being B+ after the test results. So could not donate, i encourage others to get the test done to see what type of blood you have even if it's just for the sake of knowing. I offer my condolences to Pat Webb and family.

The hospital will take your name and contact information and have you go through a checklist with your permission and keep it on record, if the need for certain blood types should ever arise.

I know the cost is minor but why do they charge anyway? In Australia they do it for free and you do not have to pay to donate blood.

I began reading through this thread holding my breath praying and hoping that a miracle would happen and all would end well.

I am wondering that if the hospital would have had the blood on hand, whether or not this man would have survived?

I`m so sorry, very, very sad indeed.

Thank you all again on behalf of Patricks wife, Nok, and his family. Arrangement are still being finalized. All I have at the present is:

Services Location: Wat San Mahopha. The Wat is on hwy 1006 at Bo Sang, going East from Chiang Mai toward San Kamphaeng and near the large intersection of hwy 1014 at Bo Sang. A good map will be posted soon.

12 - 14 Sept. 2011 - 7:00 pm, Closed Casked viewing.

15 Sept. 2011 - 2:00 pm Cremation Service.

If anyone has knowledge of this Wat and it's location. Please make a post.

Thank you.

Directions and events for Patrick Webb.

Leaving Chaing Mai going East on highway 1006, street that runs Easterly by the train station and from Narawat Bridge, head towards Bo Sang, town just before you come to San Kamphaeng. At Bo Sang you will come to a 4 way intersection with a traffic light. This is the intersection of 1006 and 1014. If you turn left you will go into the town of Bo Sang. DO NOT TURN. Continue east through the intersection and drive 1/2 kilometer to a Soi on the left. (There will be a sign on the street indicating Pat's viewing location, language to be used unknown). Turn South into the Soi and continue south .3 kilometer to the

Wat on the left. You can't miss it. It has a newly painted orangish wall and just past a picture of the King.

• Monday - Wednesday, 12 - 14 Sept. 2011

The Monks will start their service at approximately 7 pm and should take about 30 - 40 minutes. Pat's wife will arrive at the Wat at about 5 pm. So everyone may start showing up at that time if you want to chat with friends and pay your respects. All are invited

• Thursday, 15 Sept, 2011

On the day of the cremation the Monks will be served lunch at 11:00 am. After they have finished their lunch, food and beverage will be served.

The Monks will give another service off Chants after lunch. The VFW Post 12074 will present it's final service to Comrade Webb just after that. Cremation to be at approximately 2 pm. To visit with Pat's wife and chat with friends come early. 10 am is a good starting time.

Larry Edmonds

Senior Vice CommanderVFW Post 12074Chiang Mai, Thailand

Directions and events for Patrick Webb.

Leaving Chaing Mai going East on highway 1006, street that runs Easterly by the train station and from Narawat Bridge, head towards Bo Sang, town just before you come to San Kamphaeng. At Bo Sang you will come to a 4 way intersection with a traffic light. This is the intersection of 1006 and 1014. If you turn left you will go into the town of Bo Sang. DO NOT TURN. Continue east through the intersection and drive 1/2 kilometer to a Soi on the left. (There will be a sign on the street indicating Pat's viewing location, language to be used unknown). Turn South into the Soi and continue south .3 kilometer to the

Wat on the left. You can't miss it. It has a newly painted orangish wall and just past a picture of the King.

• Monday - Wednesday, 12 - 14 Sept. 2011

The Monks will start their service at approximately 7 pm and should take about 30 - 40 minutes. Pat's wife will arrive at the Wat at about 5 pm. So everyone may start showing up at that time if you want to chat with friends and pay your respects. All are invited

• Thursday, 15 Sept, 2011

On the day of the cremation the Monks will be served lunch at 11:00 am. After they have finished their lunch, food and beverage will be served.

The Monks will give another service off Chants after lunch. The VFW Post 12074 will present it's final service to Comrade Webb just after that. Cremation to be at approximately 2 pm. To visit with Pat's wife and chat with friends come early. 10 am is a good starting time.

Larry Edmonds

Senior Vice CommanderVFW Post 12074Chiang Mai, Thailand

That is a right turn to the south not left

Urgent update, BKK now said they do not have B Negative blood so now it may be days before they can find it now. Please call tonight if you or anyone have and can donate B negative blood.

I have been very moved by the response of TV members in their support of some one in urgent need of help. I dug out my own blood records to see if I could be of any assistance. Sadly, by then it was too late. While checking on my blood group - O Rh(D) Negative - I saw it had Anti-D listed underneath. I Googled this and found it was pretty rare and was sometimes urgently required. My point being that after all this magnificient response wouldn't be wonderful to have a registry in the name of Patrick Webb of people with blood groups that are not readily available in Chiang Mai. I hope I am not intruding of anyones grief or being impertinent by making this suggestion at this time.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Some time ago I set up this Group on facebook to try and help, I made it open to everyone and I got nothing but hassle from people saying it should be a closed group. So I made it a closed group and made everyone admin so they could invite friends to join and add their blood group, again nothing but hassle that I had done this. So I just thought sod it and left people to do what they wanted with it. I've just checked and you now have some woman that caused most of the hassle spamming it to sell her <deleted>. I think it is a good idea to have a group and it could save someone's life but it seems that Chiang mai people are above such things. I would gladly join a group on here and be available to give blood should the occasion arise.