Best Bar In Cm?

paulnuek

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I been to CM quite a few times(the wife is from CM).

I just want to know what the best bars are at the moment....

I remember the Spotlight Bar and the bars just up from the Lai Thai guesthouse.

The one on the corner Ba ba bo bar(or something like that) used to play good music.

I would welcome any comments.

Chiang Mai Saloon down Loi Kroh Rd towards the Night Bazzar. Good atmosphere, good mexican food (by thai standards).

My personal favourite is sitting at the rickety table next to my favourite food stall on Chotana Rd though. :o

cv

My current fav is Marina Bar in the LoiKro Bar-Beer-Center, near the back on the left.

Good music and fun people.

Watch out for them dragonladies.

:o

Where is the LoiKro bar beer center??

Go past Thape Gate, turn left when you go past the Lucky Bar and you'll find quite a few little bars on the right hand side just up the street.

cv

The Queen Victoria near Chang Pheuak Gate (about 100m inside the centre of the northern stretch of moat) has just opened. Great range of beers, quality food, and air-con. Good for a starter before nipping down to the tarty bars. Saloon also for food and atmosphere.

As far as the girlie bars go I reckon more fun can be had in the ones near the bottom end of Loy Kroh, near the moat, as opposed to the flagging Chiang Mai Entertainent Plaza, or whatever it's called, near the Imperial Mae Ping.

Chiang Mai Saloon down Loi Kroh Rd towards the Night Bazzar. Good atmosphere, good mexican food (by thai standards).

My personal favourite is sitting at the rickety table next to my favourite food stall on Chotana Rd though.  :o

cv

Chiangmai Saloon is a dump, with lousy food and noisy americans, certainly not a place that welcomes the visitor. If you are not "in" you get ignored by all concerned. They are in dire need of some hospitality traning.

My personal favourite is sitting at the rickety table next to my favourite food stall on Chotana Rd though.  :o

cv

Chiangmai Saloon is a dump, with lousy food and noisy americans, certainly not a place that welcomes the visitor. If you are not "in" you get ignored by all concerned. They are in dire need of some hospitality traning.

Maejo,

You sound like an authority...What's up at the Resort?

My personal favourite is sitting at the rickety table next to my favourite food stall on Chotana Rd though.  :D

cv

:o

Never had a problem there myself. Sure you're not reffering to O'Malleys?

I have to agree with Jackr.

Never had a problem with the CM Saloon, very freindly bunch of people, but O'Mallys has to be the WORST place in town to either eat or drink. The staff are very impersonal and very very slow, as well as serving up the WORST food in town.

The Sallon is paradise by comparison

Never had a problem with the CM Saloon, very freindly bunch of people, but O'Mallys has to be the WORST place in town to either eat or drink. The staff are very impersonal and very very slow, as well as serving up the WORST food in town.

I don't like Chiang Mai saloon...the owner is very variable and can be rude. It is usually after one of his frequent rows with his wife! The food is not particularly good either. Service is Ok though

I don't like Chiang Mai saloon...the owner is very variable and can be rude. It is usually after one of his frequent rows with his wife! The food is not particularly good either. Service is Ok though

Service is fine. He got some good workers of whom I happen to hear are moving to the new Queen Victoria Pub. Well some of them. So look forward for the same burgers there ! Actually I'd rather hang out there then. I hate the fact that if I come in there alone and the bar area is full, then there is no place for a "one person" to sit cause all of the tables are labeled " reserved for 2 or reserved for 4" In fact I rather do a take away of which I think he charges an additional 10 or 20 baht for the packaging!. hmmmm ...

Went to the Saloon once and sat down with the TGF and was immediately joined by the uninvited owner who proceeded to tell us what a wonderful place he had and of his vast experience in Thailand. Couldn't get rid of him. Food was very ordinary. Paid the bill and left never to return.

I prefer to stay away from any American owned establishments anywhere these days as they are prime targets for various groups of nasties. Apart from a few friends I have an aversion for Americans particularly after being forced out of our car at gunpoint by 4 US National Guard weekend warriors in Kosovo last year. ######s.

Will arrive in early jan.

Would appreciate your comments.....

Recommend the "Good View" on the Ping river,

also excellent food and music entertainment nightly. :o

I'd second that. The Good View is my

favourite spot in Chiang Mai too.

Hey you guys stop berating the CM Saloon in this way

Big Mac, If he's American, so what ? He did not surround ANYONE in Kosovo last year. !! You are tarring everyone with the same brush, and thats plain dumb on your part, yet you say you have a few American Freinds. I take it from your post that the door is firmy closed to you making any more.?Oh and what a great handle you have for someone that dislikes Americans!

Siam One, I am surprised at you.You said EXACTLY the same thing about "Frequent Rows with his Wife" six months ago. I suppose you have been checking to make sure they are still going on?, no I didn't think so!

Groo, you say you go into the Saloon to drink alone eh! If you were going to go anywhere to drink alone why did you seek out the Saloon?

Do you think that it would be OK for 4 single people to be occupying 4 seperate tables at peak dining times ANYWHERE! Any business that allowed it would be bust in a month, can't you see that?

Whats wrong with propping up the bar, surely if you go ALONE thats what you SHOULD be doing anyway!! I am sure that if you were asked to move then it would have been done politely, and I won't beleive you if you say it wan't cause I have been there enough times and seen and heard it happen and its NEVER done rudely, except you would have to be blind not to see the signs on the table!

So the lot of you get off the CMS's back, or post about somewhere that really deserves flack -Like O'Mallys !!

Big Mac, If he's American, so what ? He did not surround ANYONE in Kosovo last year. !! You are tarring everyone with the same brush, and thats plain dumb on your part, yet you say you have a few American Freinds. I take it from your post that the door is firmy closed to you making any more.?Oh and  what a great handle you have for someone that dislikes Americans!

Actually I have quite a lot of American friends throughout the world, but none of them are the loud-mouth type that I experienced in the CMS or the let's kill someone type that I have experienced in Kosovo and a number of other countries that are supposed to be under the control of the UN or NATO.

I certainly do not intend to cut Americans off my list of friends for the future but I don't like the noisy ones, in fact I don't like noisy Australians, English, Germans and any other nationality for that matter but it seems that Americans are generally more noisy than others per capita. BigMac refers to a large Scotsman. What are you suggesting ThaiPauly?

Too many choices throughout CM to have to put up with something that I don't like.

Well to be honest I am not a lover of Americans.

I found most of them to be loud and obnoxious.

But I have also come across some really good lads over the years.

So I don`t "Tar them all with the same brush".

I suppose it depends what part of the US they are from.

I have drank with and made some good friend with US pats in Pattaya but stay well clear of Marines/GI`s.

But the same could be said for English troops abroad....

I will probably try a few bars when I`m in CM.

The good ones I will go back again,the bad one`s...........

Cheers lads

I will get you a drink if I see you there.

Paul

Okay so everyone thinks O'Malleys sucks, I've been on many sites with advertising for this place and they're all saying how great it is? You mean they would lie to us for the almighty dollar/baht???

Why is it sooooo SH*tty? Service, food, attitude

or all of the above.

Big Mac, If he's American, so what ? He did not surround ANYONE in Kosovo last year. !! You are tarring everyone with the same brush, and thats plain dumb on your part, yet you say you have a few American Freinds. I take it from your post that the door is firmy closed to you making any more.?Oh and  what a great handle you have for someone that dislikes Americans!

Actually I have quite a lot of American friends throughout the world, but none of them are the loud-mouth type that I experienced in the CMS or the let's kill someone type that I have experienced in Kosovo and a number of other countries that are supposed to be under the control of the UN or NATO.

I certainly do not intend to cut Americans off my list of friends for the future but I don't like the noisy ones, in fact I don't like noisy Australians, English, Germans and any other nationality for that matter but it seems that Americans are generally more noisy than others per capita. BigMac refers to a large Scotsman. What are you suggesting ThaiPauly?

Too many choices throughout CM to have to put up with something that I don't like.

Big Mac, to quote your line "I have an aversion to Americans" You could not have quoted it better, now you are contradicting yourself.

Big Mac may well refer to a large Scotsman, but ask anybody south of Berwick-on-Tweed what a Big Mac is and they will tell you its a Burger!!

Food for thought

My personal favourite is sitting at the rickety table next to my favourite food stall on Chotana Rd though.  :D

cv

Maejo,

You sound like an authority...What's up at the Resort?

Resort??? Probably :o Too cryptic for me :D

!

Siam One,  I am surprised at you.You said EXACTLY the same thing about "Frequent Rows with his Wife" six months ago. I suppose you have been checking to make sure they are still going on?, no I didn't think so!

OK I have not been back, but why should I?

If he has changed, made peace at home and is in a good mood 70% of the time, good for him. But the food is still not much, and the place is nothing special.

OK maybe I am predujiced, when I went there with my hubby and our housemate, the owner made some remarks to my hubby about being with two women etc, implying we were BGs. So I was annoyed.

The staff were nice though, no problem there

oh yes, his peanuts used to be the best, but last time were really nasty. So that's it really! :o