• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will arrive in early jan.

Would appreciate your comments.....

Recommend the "Good View" on the Ping river,

also excellent food and music entertainment nightly. :o

I'd second that. The Good View is my

favourite spot in Chiang Mai too.

Do you think the Good View is better than the Riverside?

Both nice, but which better?

Tried out most of the bars at the top end of the kroth last week and recon all/most..OK-so/so including Spottis...dont like the ones in the square too much though.

Also had a couple of pints in O-Ms on Monday night and again OK ..no prob..in fact they had a big crowd in celebrating hallowen.

Always get a welcome from the little Thai lady/boss...not seen you recently..etc....well not for at least 3-4 months....etc.

(They were shut on the Tues-Wed ?)

My other OK place (limited time) is the old Red lion and with its amber at Bt 100 a pint is again...cool.Sit outside and watch the tourists and backpackers making fools of themselves....

Big new shopping mall being built opposite so should bring in lots more punters in future...

C.M.like Bangers/Patti seems to be doing well.

Stayed again at Dun 2 wan.....good one:lol:

There was a survey conducted several years ago about who were the world's best and worst tourists. It was conducted by expedia.co.uk and covered 17 different destinations around the world. It compared 24 nationalities and the results were as follows:

Top 3 best tourists were 1) Germans 2) Americans 3) Japanese

Bottom 3 worst tourists were 1) British 2) Israelis 3) Irish

Regarding different areas that were critiqued the Brits were the worst behaved, the rudest and made the least effort to learn the local language.

Points were awarded or deducted based on behaviour, politeness, willingness to learn the language and try the local food, and how much money they spent.

The Germans were given a +41, Americans +32 and Japanese +32. The bottom 3 scores were -6 for the Irish, -6 for the Israelis and at the bottom of the barrel -44 for the British. They were clearly rated the worst bunch of the lot.

While I'm sure there is room for error, based on the fact there were 17 locations involved in the study including Bangkok and this was done by a UK firm, I would have to think the survey holds some merit.

There was a survey conducted several years ago about who were the world's best and worst tourists.  It was conducted by expedia.co.uk and covered 17 different destinations around the world.  It compared 24 nationalities and the results were as follows:

Top 3 best tourists were 1) Germans 2) Americans 3) Japanese

Bottom 3 worst tourists were 1) British 2) Israelis 3) Irish

Regarding different areas that were critiqued the Brits were the worst behaved, the rudest and  made the least effort to learn the local language.

Points were awarded or deducted based on behaviour, politeness, willingness to learn the language and try the local food, and how much money they spent.

The Germans were given a +41, Americans +32 and Japanese +32.  The bottom 3 scores were -6 for the Irish, -6 for the Israelis and at the bottom of the barrel -44 for the British.  They were clearly rated the worst bunch of the lot.

While I'm sure there is room for error, based on the fact there were 17 locations involved in the study including Bangkok and this was done by a UK firm, I would have to think the survey holds some merit.

Absolute <deleted>.

You don't get that many Gerrys in LOS but ask any Brit what the Germans are like on any Spanish or Greek island . They are the pits! :D The locals hate them as well.

The Irish are first class holiday makers. We had 40 of them in our Restaurant last week and they were brilliant, also ask any country who the most well behaved travelling sports supporters are THE IRISH (well its relevant as they are also on holiday.)

I would agree about the Israelis but thats only a one out of many guess the rest of the survey (as with most so called surveys) is RUBBISH :o

English are lazy in respect of learing other languages,as most countries speak English as there second language.What language should us brits learn???French,German.....

I speak a little Thai(I mean enough to eat,drink,count,etc),not nearly enough.

When I move to Thailand next year I will have no choice in the matter.It will be a must.

My wife learned most of her English by watching corrie,Emmerdale,etc.

So are there any good soaps in Thaialnd?????(doubt it) :o

But the worst behaved.I`m not sure on this one.

Most are well mannered and well behaved and tend to tip well(at least I do).

Brits on there hols in Spain are a different matter(best not go into this one).

...the rest of the survey (as with most so called surveys) is RUBBISH...

From the BBC: <news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm>

Top tourists:

1st- Germans

2nd -Americans

3rd -Japanese

4th- Italians

5th- French, Norwegians, Swedes

Worst tourists:

17th- Argentines, New Zealanders, Czechs, Finns

21st- Indians

22nd- Irish, Israelis

24th- British

Britons have been labelled the world's worst holidaymakers in a survey of tourist boards around the globe.

Research by online travel service Expedia suggests Brits abroad are the least well-regarded by foreigners.

They are the rudest, meanest, worst-behaved, most linguistically incompetent and least adventurous holidaymakers, the study published on Friday claims.

But the Germans are generally welcomed and topped the poll of tourist offices in 17 countries worldwide.

Categories included behaviour, politeness, willingness to learn the language, trying local delicacies and spending on the local economy.

The Italians, Spanish and Germans are most likely to try local food, but the Britons, Indians and burger-loving Americans are more likely to shy away from native delicacies.

But the Germans did not perform well in the spending and tipping stakes and were described as the meanest nation - closely followed by the British.

The big spenders were the Americans, then the Japanese and Russians.

~

Studies like this are always bound to draw reactions. Having been on the road internationally for over 45 years, I would have come up with pretty much a matching list except that I would have put the French a bit lower just because of their incredibly snooty attitude. But then that seems to be mostly toward other tourists, not the locals.

Ideally results of studies like this would give people cause to examine their own behavior but the chances are slim indeed. Oh well..

I agree with the survey about English. My housemate works in a bar in CM and all the girls agree that the English are the rudest, meanest and most likely to be aggressive.

Sorry for that. My hubbie is English and also could not believe it, at first.

But a lot of English tourists now are the young, drunk and stupid kind that used to go to Marbella etc, now coming to Thailand

and anyway, which bar is the best so far? :o

I agree with the survey about English. My housemate works in a bar in CM and all the girls agree that the English are the rudest, meanest and most likely to be aggressive.

Sorry for that. My hubbie is English and also could not believe it, at first.

But a lot of English tourists now are the young, drunk and stupid kind that used to go to Marbella etc, now coming to Thailand

and anyway, which bar is the best so far? :D

Can`t believe that the young Brits(English) are now coming to CM now.

I was in Benidorm earlier this year and believe me they are still going there.

I my experience with most of the bars I have ever been to in CM is that most of the tourists come here for treking and are on a tight budget.

Some on on there "gap year" from Uni and don`t have much money at all.So I can`t imagine these type of tourists causing much trouble.

The type of tourists you are refering to seem to frequent the beach resorts and Bkk.

These type of tourists are usually found in the "English" bars having an English breakfast,reading the Sun newspaper.

Can you get The Sun in Cm :o

I'm glad you pointed out that in this context British means English. Other nationalities unfortunately have to share that island and often get tarred with the same brush.  :D

Just as well pal or you'd now be a Kraut :o

Goodview more expensive than the Riverside.

I'm glad you pointed out that in this context British means English. Other nationalities unfortunately have to share that island and often get tarred with the same brush.  :D

Krauts, as you know have much better manners.

Goodview is more fun than the Riverside.

Why is goodview more fun?

Why is goodview more fun?

Because he's being objectionable

You're obviously not very well travelled

you can always spot a kraut as opposed to a brit.white socks,sandals,bum bag,sh*t haircut.

is it me or are we brits(and maybe the italians and thai's)the smartest nationality who have a bit of fashion sense.go in bubble ie and its a sea of fashion disasters and the scandinavians are desperate dressers too.personally i feel overdressed when i go out in thailand dressed as i do in leeds(england) wearing nice jeans and a shirt/t-shirt.find it scruffy going out in their attire,but thats just me.

[you can always spot a kraut as opposed to a brit.white socks,sandals,bum bag,sh*t haircut.

is it me or are we brits(and maybe the italians and thai's)the smartest nationality who have a bit of fashion sense.go in bubble ie and its a sea of fashion disasters and the scandinavians are desperate dressers too.personally i feel overdressed when i go out in thailand dressed as i do in leeds(england) wearing nice jeans and a shirt/t-shirt.find it scruffy going out in their attire,but thats just me.

I think it is just you!!

I was looking at your description of a "kraut" and it seemed to fit most Brits :o

anyway, what was the best bar you were going to tell us about?

Is the Black Cat bar still open?

I`ve just been looking at some old photos and remembered spending quite a lot of time there.

It shut down several years ago and Bryan opened a restaurant/bar there and now that is gone. Things are really transitory in CM.

Looks like I`d better leave those white socks at home then  :D

What is your favorite bar then miss Foxy  :o

havnt really got a favourite,many are same same as the annoying saying goes.felt iv missed out on not knowing where the 'classier bars' are.maybe someone could recommend me some top haunts

i went to X-zone club a few times,me and my friends only falangs,but we were made to feel,not out of place.spent alot of time in the usual spots-bar beer centre,spotlight bar,bubble(music pure cheese couple of years behind the times)is there anywhere that plays modern house/trancey vibes?

peak pool bar was good to start off,spicy til 6am was a last resort

anyway our flights are booked,and we land at cm 20th dec to january 18th and i cant wait,england is so cold.book the duangtwan hotel as iv had good reports.

first christmas away from home,is a big party over xmas/new year?

havnt really got a favourite,many are same same as the annoying saying goes.felt iv missed out on not knowing where the 'classier bars' are.maybe someone could recommend me some top haunts

i went to X-zone club a few times,me and my friends only falangs,but we were made to feel,not out of place.spent alot of time in the usual spots-bar beer centre,spotlight bar,bubble(music pure cheese couple of years behind the times)is there anywhere that plays modern house/trancey vibes?

anyway our flights are booked,and we land at cm 20th dec to january 18th and i cant wait,england is so cold.book the duangtwan hotel as iv had good reports.

Not really sure about Xmas as I usually stay in Pattaya.

New year is Ok in Cm but then again it is ok anywhere. :D

So what you doing during the day then?

Trekking or sightseeing?

Have you been as far as Sankampaeng Hot Springs yet?

Not really sure about Xmas as I usually stay in Pattaya.

New year is Ok in Cm but then again it is ok anywhere. :D

So what you doing during the day then?

Trekking or sightseeing?

Have you been as far as Sankampaeng Hot Springs yet?

during the day! ha. usually stay in bed until 3pm ish.very lazy i am.not really one for trekking etc.i am very much a night person

i know its strange travelling to thailand and not doing alot,but the place just keeps dragging me back,the whole aura of it.

Have you tried anywhere else in Thailand then.

Cm is not that famous for its nightlife :o

I once stayed for the day only on a deserted island near pattaya.

Me and 2 other people on the whole island.

It was out of this world. :D

Edited by paulnuek

Have you tried anywhere else in Thailand then.

Cm is not that famous for its nightlife :o

I once stayed for the day only on a deserted island near pattaya.

Me and 2 other people on the whole island.

It was out of this world. :D

yes been to bangkok,pattaya,ko phangan for full moon,samui.but love the people in chiang mai and the chilled outness of it all.bangkok is great for a while but its too in ya face,loved the full moon party.didnt like pattaya too much,a bit sleazy for my liking.might try laos for a few days

Wow,you have been around then. :o

I agree with you that CM is more laid back.

Down side is there are less bars.

Pattaya can be a bit sleezy but once you have stayed there a few times you tend to turn a blind eye.

Anyway I will almost certainly run into you in some bar or another when i`m in CM.

Have fun (and try to get up earlier and see some of the sights)