Best Bar In Cm?

paulnuek

yes been to bangkok,pattaya,ko phangan for full moon,samui.but love the people in chiang mai and the chilled outness of it all.bangkok is great for a while but its too in ya face,loved the full moon party.didnt like pattaya too much,a bit sleazy for my liking.might try laos for a few days

Laos is nice, but the nightlife does not exist. Maybe not for you?

CM has a special charm that is well hidden

better stay in the south, as the old saying goes :o

anybody got a best bar yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My other OK place (limited time) is the old Red lion and with its amber at Bt 100 a pint is again...cool.Sit outside and watch the tourists and backpackers making fools of themselves....

Yeah the Red Lion is OK.....especially if you like German beer or any beer for that matter which has a taste. But I don't think I shall be back.............overcharged twice in the last 3 visits. Change came back 100 baht short each time. Once anybody can make a mistake but twice that smacks of rip off! So if you go check your change!!!!!

My other OK place (limited time) is the old Red lion and with its amber at Bt 100 a pint is again...cool.Sit outside and watch the tourists and backpackers making fools of themselves....

Yeah the Red Lion is OK.....especially if you like German beer or any beer for that matter which has a taste. But I don't think I shall be back.............overcharged twice in the last 3 visits. Change came back 100 baht short each time. Once anybody can make a mistake but twice that smacks of rip off! So if you go check your change!!!!!

So you didn`t leave a tip then? :o

The new Queen Victoria Inn by far. They would have to have the most pleasant and friendly bar staff of any bar I know. If you are a beer drinker (I'm not) they probably have the best range in town on tap. Great atmosphere, and an exrensive menu, and what's more it's spotless!!

The new Queen Victoria Inn by far. They would have to have the most pleasant and friendly bar staff of any bar I know. If you are a beer drinker (I'm not) they probably have the best range in town on tap. Great atmosphere, and an exrensive menu, and what's more it's spotless!!

Where is it, MJ Man? I've heard so much about it. And I've been told it's near London House school or it's near the old Thai Airways office. But I can't spot it when driving by. Would definitely check it out if only I knew where it was.

Head towards Chang Puak Gate (North) on the inside of the moat and turn left after Khan Asa cafe.

Personally, I quite like the Writers Club on Rachadamnoen (opposite La Villa): Decent, cheap wine, decent, cheap food, friendly hosts, comfortable. Good for groups or solo.

Head towards Chang Puak Gate (North) on the inside of the moat and turn left after Khan Asa cafe.

That would be travelling due west polecat, not north, on the inside of the klong. The easiest direction is that it's about 150-200 metres past the Thai Airways office (under reconstruction) heading north towards Chang Puak Gate and on the same side of the road.

That would be travelling due west polecat, not north, on the inside of the klong.

Ooh, you're a picky little bugger, aren't you :o

Chang Puak is the north gate, I believe, and that is what I was referring to. Anyway, enough, if Too True can't find the joint by now, let him starve.

They've got a website by the way (Queen Vic) can't remember the address, but Google is your friend.

Does anyone remember the VW camper van that was decked out as a coctail bar?

It was parked near the Night Bazaar area.

I remember having a couple there and looking at the shop it was parked in front of..Tattoo by Bastard.

Well you have to laugh.

If you wanted a Tat,would you seriously get it done by a Bastard? :o

The name of the shop...honest....

That would be travelling due west polecat, not north, on the inside of the klong.

Ooh, you're a picky little bugger, aren't you :o

Chang Puak is the north gate, I believe, and that is what I was referring to. Anyway, enough, if Too True can't find the joint by now, let him starve.

They've got a website by the way (Queen Vic) can't remember the address, but Google is your friend.

Cheers, boys. Figured it out. Don't usually drive on that road past the Thai airways office, not since (in my opinion) Amazing Sandwich became not so amazing.

Will arrive in early jan.

Would appreciate your comments.....

I can't recall the bars name but head south from the night bazaar on Chang Khlan Rd. a mile or two. Someone here will know the bars name. It sits back off the road, rarely find farangs within. It has live Thai rock bands, a stagecoach scene painted on the wall behind the bandstand. Foods ok, beers cold its a bit rundown, but hey thats rock and roll. I was able to talk my then longtime gf (now wife) to go with me once. It was her first visit to a bar and she found it too be to noisey and she didn't like the fact the band knew me from time spent on Koh Samui and that a waitress seemed to know me a little too well.

Been a few years since I've went as my wife after 4 years of living here is still in permanent residencey visa hel_l and we can leave the country as she'll not be able to return. We do have hope it'll be done soon so we can go in Febuary to visit mom.

WOW, thats some advert

Have you got shares in it by any chance? :o

WOW, thats some advert

Is nobody allowed an opinion but you ThaiPoorly?

WOW, thats some advert

Not a penny, just call it as I see it.....

I take it the Chaing Mai Saloon is one to scratch off my list then :o

You might like to scratch the Good View too unless you like a musak type band and the sort of place your parents might like. Possibly suitable for careful Christians. I think bland is the word.

Moc Mol is of the type I detest which many Thais love where the subservient staff pester you by topping up your glass every three nanoseconds. Poor grade bourgeouis. New money. Have been twice (only because female friend wanted to go there) and last time sick in stomach next day definitely from the food there. No more.

For a non girlie bar try the Writers Club on Ratchadmanoen.

For a girlie bar Stairway to Heaven used to be good once upon a time.

For a girlieboy bar Cheeky Girls.

Or take a bottle to Kow niow tiang keun (nickname)on Kampaeng Din for the best late night food....no sign, opens 2330 til 0200 yes I got that right. Thaksin's brother was sitting behind me last weekend at this under 100baht joint.

I take it the Chaing Mai Saloon is one to scratch off my list then :D

You might like to scratch the Good View too unless you like a musak type band and the sort of place your parents might like. Possibly suitable for careful Christians. I think bland is the word.

Moc Mol is of the type I detest which many Thais love where the subservient staff pester you by topping up your glass every three nanoseconds. Poor grade bourgeouis. New money. Have been twice (only because female friend wanted to go there) and last time sick in stomach next day definitely from the food there. No more.

For a non girlie bar try the Writers Club on Ratchadmanoen.

For a girlieboy bar Cheeky Girls.

Or take a bottle to Kow niow tiang keun (nickname)on Kampaeng Din for the best late night food....no sign, opens 2330 til 0200 yes I got that right. Thaksin's brother was sitting behind me last weekend at this under 100baht joint.

2330 til 0200 my kind of bar.

Just hope I remember what its like the next day (I like to start early). :o

I take it the Chaing Mai Saloon is one to scratch off my list then :o

Until they try and charge you 270 baht for a bottle of Chang! :D Fair enough to pay girlie drink prices, but when they fill up the glass with ice and pour a tad of beer in there each time yet charge for a full drink, particulary when you've ordered by the bottle anyway, you can safely call its 'taking the piss'. Needless to say, one does not frequent this place any more.

Nice set-up and a refreshing change from the other hovels down Loi Kroh, but in response to your post, it certainly ain't any more :D. Writers Club's nice though.

BTW, where's all the nice girls gone? There was always one or two fairly decent-looking specimens in most bars a few years back. Now there's maybe one out of ten bars and the whole of that entertainment plaza place on Loi Kroh is crying out for some good lookers. Not that I'm looking for a lady or anything, but it's nice to have something to look at when knocking back a few :D

Seems to me a lot of new gin joints springing up all over town....eg..bangers and Chiangers...think...etc.....

anyway...

Bit of a List to get you going....any more.....must be hundreds..:D

Dont forget.... "knowledge dispels thirst" :D

So.....Rough Guide.....

Moon Muang:

Nancy Bar.

Aii Karaoke.

K.K.Bar.

Mad Dog Bar.

Cafe mai.

Corner Bar.

Spotlight Bar.

Lucky Bar.

Charming Bar.

Power Bar.

Wyn bar.

Ba-Ba-Bo..Bar.

Loy Kroh:

Easy Corner Bar.

Juicy Lucy Bar.

Lindas Bar.

Why Not Bar.

Post Bar.

Cherry Bar.

Butterfly Bar.

Boom Bim Bar.

Mayflower Rest.

Stairway to...Bar.

Marin Bar...

Soi 1:

Together Bar.

:o

Back in the early 80's in Chiang Mai there was the Karen Hut Bar, My Place Bar(the original) and Oasis Bar, all long gone.

And of course The Pub on Huay Kaew which is still there although it'll never be the same as in the days of Nigel and Darunee Parker who sold it off to Peter and Nai Bachman. The latter used to amuse the customers by throwing ashtrays, glasses and any other heavy object they could lay their hands on at each other. The customers were mostly resident tobacco and various Foreign Aid agency expats who all made a very interesting and amusing group.

Nowadays there are hundreds of bars throughout Chiang Mai aimed at the tourist and ex-pat crowd, seems that most have more staff than customers. Not too many have any real character.

BB

Soi 1:

Together Bar.

"Number 1" is also in that soi. It's picking up, it seems. They have some Belgian beers and a good number of staff there.

But for some strange reason I'm indeed partial to Together Bar in that soi.. I guess I like it that it's so incredibly small that you're forced to sit semi-outside on bigger tables with everyone else, which makes it so much more natural to get talking with loads of different people. Strange mix of travellers and bums there. (Oh and then there's me somtimes. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Seems to me a lot of new gin joints springing up all over town....eg..bangers and Chiangers...think...etc.....

anyway...

Bit of a List to get you going....any more.....must be hundreds..:D

Dont forget.... "knowledge dispels thirst" :D

So.....Rough Guide.....

Moon Muang:

Nancy Bar.

Aii Karaoke.

K.K.Bar.

Mad Dog Bar.

Cafe mai.

Corner Bar.

Spotlight Bar.

Lucky Bar.

Charming Bar.

Power Bar.

Wyn bar.

Ba-Ba-Bo..Bar.

Loy Kroh:

Easy Corner Bar.

Juicy Lucy Bar.

Lindas Bar.

Why Not Bar.

Post Bar.

Cherry Bar.

Butterfly Bar.

Boom Bim Bar.

Mayflower Rest.

Stairway to...Bar.

Marin Bar...

Soi 1:

Together Bar.

:D

Now that`s a nice list.

Should keep me going for at least 1 night. :o

Back in the early 80's in Chiang Mai there was the Karen Hut Bar, My Place Bar(the original) and Oasis Bar, all long gone. 

And of course The Pub on Huay Kaew which is still there although it'll never be the same as in the days of Nigel and Darunee Parker who sold it off to Peter and Nai Bachman.  The latter used to amuse the customers by throwing ashtrays, glasses and any other heavy object they could lay their hands on at each other.  The customers were mostly resident tobacco and various Foreign Aid agency expats who all made a very interesting and amusing group.

Nowadays there are hundreds of bars throughout Chiang Mai aimed at the tourist and ex-pat crowd, seems that most have more staff than customers.  Not too many have any real character.

BB

Yea, the good old days when you could sit in the Karen Hut bar and listen to Frank sing and then wander down the little soi, past HRH eating (s'cuse me, saweooy ahaan) at the Coq D'or and visit My Place and soon enough Frank would be there singing. And then walk down and across the moat to Lovebirds where soon enough Frank would be singing again. And finally to Oasis where Frank did not sing. And then if you were really feeling bad you could visit the Welshman's place, long the lowest common demoninator of the tiny ex-pat community.

My favorite was the mid-80s Cottage Bar hosted by Phii Khao, one of the few ex-pat bars without the hostesses. A drinkers bar frequented by the teachers, a large component of the ex-pat community back then, as well as off-duty free lancers looking to take a break from business and have a drink, and the gay pals of the owner coming in between cabaret shows at the Blue Moon.

There were also a few Thai bars that all seemed to have an American western/cowboy theme and although Thai speaking Farangs were welcome, they just weren't all that entertaining after the first hour unless you happened to like country music.

And in the afternoon you could sit around the pool at the Prince hotel where all the girls who worked at the ex-pat and tourist bars congregated to swim and gossip during the day.

I can only say that the bars back then had a different character than today, but then Chiang Mai as a whole had a radically different character as well, a far more Khon Muang character.

Yea, the good old days when you could sit in the Karen Hut bar and listen to Frank sing and then wander down the little soi, past HRH eating (s'cuse me, saweooy ahaan) at the Coq D'or and visit My Place and soon enough Frank would be there singing. And then walk down and across the moat to Lovebirds where soon enough Frank would be singing again. And finally to Oasis where Frank did not sing. And then if you were really feeling bad you could visit the Welshman's place, long the lowest common demoninator of the tiny ex-pat community.

My favorite was the mid-80s Cottage Bar hosted by Phii Khao, one of the few ex-pat bars without the hostesses.  A drinkers bar frequented by the teachers, a large component of the ex-pat community back then, as well as off-duty free lancers looking to take a break from business and have a drink, and the gay pals of the owner coming in between cabaret shows at the Blue Moon.

There were also a few Thai bars that all seemed to have an American western/cowboy theme and although Thai speaking Farangs were welcome, they just weren't all that entertaining after the first hour unless you happened to like country music.

And in the afternoon you could sit around the pool at the Prince hotel where all the girls who worked at the ex-pat and tourist bars congregated to swim and gossip during the day.

I can only say that the bars back then had a different character than today, but then Chiang Mai as a whole had a radically different character as well, a far more Khon Muang character.

Saw old Philipino Frank in a CM bar a few years ago, he wasn't singing, we talked of the old daze, fond memories. Hope he has added a few more songs to his repertoire of Johnny Horton and Hank Williams Senior tunes.

Presume you mean Frank Sinatra yes?

If you do then PLEASE tell me if there is a bar in CM that constantly plays his songs.

I am a BIG FAN of Frank

"Fly me to the moon and let me swing upon the stars, let me see what life is like on Jupiter and Mars , in other words...."

PRICELESS