Best Bar In Cm?

paulnuek

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent the last 3 Christmas days in the Red Lion and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, unfortunately one of the co owners did the dirty on the other and signed a new lease with the landlady, freezing out one of Chiang Mais most convivial expats. so most of my ex pats mates wont go there and i am looking for a good alternative for Christmas dinner. The queen vic seems to be getting rave reviews from you guys.Are they doing a Christmas dinner?

Back in the early 80's in Chiang Mai there was the Karen Hut Bar, My Place Bar(the original) and Oasis Bar, all long gone. 

And of course The Pub on Huay Kaew which is still there although it'll never be the same as in the days of Nigel and Darunee Parker who sold it off to Peter and Nai Bachman.  The latter used to amuse the customers by throwing ashtrays, glasses and any other heavy object they could lay their hands on at each other.  The customers were mostly resident tobacco and various Foreign Aid agency expats who all made a very interesting and amusing group.

Nowadays there are hundreds of bars throughout Chiang Mai aimed at the tourist and ex-pat crowd, seems that most have more staff than customers.  Not too many have any real character.

BB

Yea, the good old days when you could sit in the Karen Hut bar and listen to Frank sing and then wander down the little soi, past HRH eating (s'cuse me, saweooy ahaan) at the Coq D'or and visit My Place and soon enough Frank would be there singing. And then walk down and across the moat to Lovebirds where soon enough Frank would be singing again. And finally to Oasis where Frank did not sing. And then if you were really feeling bad you could visit the Welshman's place, long the lowest common demoninator of the tiny ex-pat community.

My favorite was the mid-80s Cottage Bar hosted by Phii Khao, one of the few ex-pat bars without the hostesses. A drinkers bar frequented by the teachers, a large component of the ex-pat community back then, as well as off-duty free lancers looking to take a break from business and have a drink, and the gay pals of the owner coming in between cabaret shows at the Blue Moon.

There were also a few Thai bars that all seemed to have an American western/cowboy theme and although Thai speaking Farangs were welcome, they just weren't all that entertaining after the first hour unless you happened to like country music.

And in the afternoon you could sit around the pool at the Prince hotel where all the girls who worked at the ex-pat and tourist bars congregated to swim and gossip during the day.

I can only say that the bars back then had a different character than today, but then Chiang Mai as a whole had a radically different character as well, a far more Khon Muang character.

What about the old Moon Garden? Perhaps after your time, and no crooner singing, but there was great entertainment value if bizarre is your cup of tea.

They had their resident pet pig who "snouted" up all the grass and garden. There was the waitress there (who is now married to a Canadian Muay Thai teacher) who had a penchant for smoke; I once saw her smoke a joint with a tourist who couldn't move from the barstool for eight hours or so (so they told us later).

Then there was Max and the Australian (John?) who owned the place.

Guess it depends on what kind of entertainment you like.

The fat black pig was named Lucky probably due to the fact that he hadn't ended up on the Bar-b-que. I'm not sure what happened to him in the end. Probably tasted delicious.

Max is still about.....Haven't heard of John for years.

Edited by Blinky Bill

The fat black pig was named Lucky probably due to the fact that he hadn't ended up on the Bar-b-que.  I'm not sure what happened to him in the end.  Probably tasted delicious.

Max is still about.....Haven't heard of John for years.

The pot bellied pig was just called "Pig" the resident hound was called Lucky on account that he had enormous luck navigating Kotchasarn Road every day with many near misses. His luck finally ran out one day when he was skittled by a swift moving songtaew.

John Greenhill who "bought" into the Moon Garden in it's latter days, is alive and doing well in Queensland with his wife Noi.

Pom married Andy and they still run the Muay Thai school at the bottom of Doi Suthep.

The "tourist" that over indulged in the noxious weed was a local, and he still remembers the incident very well! Max's "special" curries had a similar effect on people.