What Benefits Am I Entitled To From Thailand?

drdaveperry

I live and work legally as a teacher in Thailand. I pay more than 50,000 baht per year in personal income tax. What benefits am I entitled to from Thailand as a foreign citizen legally working and paying personal income tax in Thailand?

Edited by drdaveperry

Personal income tax doesn't necessarily entitle you to much. If you work for a gov't school, then you may have some benefits, otherwise your taxes go to pay for the roads, bridges and other infrastructure. They also probably go to pay for a lot of less savory things as well.

tax and social security are different.. please breakdown what you are paying.

also if you are paying 50,000b a year. you should be getting rebates as well.

Very true I seem to get near enough 100% rebates every year, married to a Thai with 2 condos being paid for.

tax and social security are different.. please breakdown what you are paying.

also if you are paying 50,000b a year. you should be getting rebates as well.

Every month 4200 baht is deducted from my salary for INCOME TAX and another 750 for Social Security, which I understand is a form of government sponsored health insurance.

Edited by drdaveperry

"What Benefits Am I Entitled To From Thailand?"

Did you have something specific in mind?

"...and another 750 for Social Security, which I understand is a form of government sponsored health insurance."

Social Security = Health, retirement, disability, unemployment, maternity...

The health benefit is actually pretty good.

When you stop being eligible through work, you can continue to pay on your own. 432฿ a month.

"...and another 750 for Social Security, which I understand is a form of government sponsored health insurance."

When you stop being eligible through work, you can continue to pay on your own. 432฿ a month.

Life insurance; payment of around 30.000 thb when you pass away.

Unemployment? After the workpermit has been canceled you need to leave the country immediately....

No time to pick up the check. I think unemployment only works for locals for I believe 1.500 thb per month for 6 months.

The health care part is indeed good but depending on which hospital is accepting the SS in your specific area.

What benefits?

Well, they don't throw you in jail for non-payment of taxes. I suppose that is a "benefit".

You are required to have paid taxes as part of the renewal process for your work permit/visa (if you have one).

Are you sure you mean "benefits" and not 'deductions"? You can deduct (or rather off set) a number of things from your tax - life insurance payments, house/apartment purchase payments (if you have one), deductions for dependents etc, school fees I think.

Each year you should fill in the tax form which lays out what you can offset against tax.

And 50,000? I wish.....

As an American citizen, are the previously mentioned services (HEALTH, RETIREMENT, DISABILITY, and UNEMPLOYMENT) actually available for me inThailand?

Edited by drdaveperry

What benefits?

Well, they don't throw you in jail for non-payment of taxes. I suppose that is a "benefit".

You are required to have paid taxes as part of the renewal process for your work permit/visa (if you have one).

Are you sure you mean "benefits" and not 'deductions"? You can deduct (or rather off set) a number of things from your tax - life insurance payments, house/apartment purchase payments (if you have one), deductions for dependents etc, school fees I think.

Each year you should fill in the tax form which lays out what you can offset against tax.

And 50,000? I wish.....

To my understanding, according to the current personal income tax rate, with a 50,000 monthly salary I should pay 4,200 baht monthly. So 4,200 baht x 12 months = 50,400 baht. You may verify my calculations at this website. http://www.thailand-accounting.com/incometax.html

I feel I must apologize to you who have replied to this post. I have been made aware I have unknowingly offended some by using a different size and style of font. I was completely unaware that this is taboo. I will in the future, to the best of my understanding, properly reply with the authorized font style and size. I am asking your forgiveness for my ignorance.

I feel I must apologize to you who have replied to this post. I have been made aware I have unknowingly offended some by using a different size and style of font. I was completely unaware that this is taboo. I will in the future, to the best of my understanding, properly reply with the authorized font style and size. I am asking your forgiveness for my ignorance.

In fact you used the recomended size of font for online viewing especially taking into account the vision needs of many users. Sadly some here are aparently too young to know there are in fact web standards covering this.

"As an American citizen, are the previously mentioned services (HEALTH, RETIREMENT, DISABILITY, and UNEMPLOYMENT) actually available for me in Thailand?"

Health and retirement for sure.

Disability and unemployment, I assume so, but don't have first hand knowledge/experience with them.

Labor and Social Security is for all, not just Thai's. Everyone is supposed to be treated the same. In my experience, they are.

What benefits?

And 50,000? I wish.....

To my understanding, according to the current personal income tax rate, with a 50,000 monthly salary I should pay 4,200 baht monthly. So 4,200 baht x 12 months = 50,400 baht. You may verify my calculations at this website. http://www.thailand-accounting.com/incometax.html

I earn the same per month, my tax is 1500baht per month around 3%. As I am married my wife does the tax rebate at the end of the year, and like I have previously stated I get around 90% back.

I pay the 432 baht myself, have used the hospital card before, but nothing else at the moment that I am entitled to.

I pay the 432 myself

If I pay 432 baht each month for the required 180 months or 15 years then what benefit amount should I receive at age 60?

Then I guess the most important question of all is... Are there any foreigners who are currently receiving or have received Social Security benefits from the Kingdom of Thailand?

Edited by drdaveperry

I pay the 432 myself

The 64 dollar question is...... If I pay 432 baht each month for the required 180 months or 15 years then what benefit amount would I receive at age 60?

You will receive a lump sum, currently I believe at 150.000 for a life long contribution

Since the SS is not there that very long no-one ever received this benefit

At your time, not knowing your age, it could be different and given the PTP policy regarding the SS by that time it could be bankrupt..

Anyway your calculation at 4.200 thb per month seems a litte steep

Look at this information and do the math;

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

"If I pay 432 baht each month for the required 180 months or 15 years then what benefit amount should I receive at age 60?"

The 432 baht per month is only for those not eligible through employment. It's still 750 baht for those working - making 15k or more a month. If you make less than 15k, it's 5%.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the 432 figure includes money towards the retirement benefit. Beano, do you know about that?

OP, since you know the 180 months thing, I'll assume you've looked at the Labor Act. I think within the Act it explains how to figure out what you'd get. Not much by expat standards, but better than nothing.

"Then I guess the most important question of all is... Are there any foreigners who are currently receiving or have received Social Security benefits from the Kingdom of Thailand?"

If you are specifically asking about the 'retirement' benefit, I don't know.

If you are talking benefits in general, there are many of us using the health portion.

"You will receive a lump sum, currently I believe at 150.000 for a life long contribution"

I don't think there is an amount written into the Act. It's based on years and salary over those years.

"Unemployment? After the workpermit has been canceled you need to leave the country immediately....

No time to pick up the check. I think unemployment only works for locals for I believe 1.500 thb per month for 6 months."

Many here work with visa/extensions not based on work, so don't have to leave the country when employment ends.

"You are required to have paid taxes as part of the renewal process for your work permit/visa..."

You are required to file for taxes, but whether you actually pay anything depends on your personal situation. Salary, deductions ...

"The health care part is indeed good but depending on which hospital is accepting the SS in your specific area."

As Teal'c would say; "Indeed".

Agree with that. In some areas there may be multiple hospitals that are available. When I moved to KKC I was offered a choice of about 9 hospitals to choose from.

If you are unhappy with your assigned hospital, and there is something else available, there is a period each year that you can change hospitals.

I said *I wish*, not you wish. I wish my tax here was only 50,000 a year.

Ans you want to label yourself as an 'expat'

Indeed you wish :whistling:

Not sure I want, or indeed have tried to, label myself anything.

I only note that the Thai tax scale is quite steep. Earn 100,00 a month, and you will likely be paying some of your tax bill at a rate of 30% of income.

I only note that the Thai tax scale is quite steep. Earn 100,00 a month, and you will likely be paying some of your tax bill at a rate of 30% of income.

Yes, you are correct, over your earnings more than 1 mio upto 4 mio. you pay 30%, you paying more than 50.000 thb a year (or is it per month and usd?) should know that exactly :rolleyes: . :rolleyes:

Any expat/foreign worker working for a (foreign) multinational in Thailand and not being a teacher would have a split salary, being partly paid and taxed in Thailand and the remainder depending on his nationality and the tax laws from his home country. In a few cases that means tax free....

Anyone that pays more that 50.000 in tax in Thailand is not fully optimizing his tax possibilities, hence I shouldn't brag to much about how little others pay compared to you, makes you look :blink:

Back to the OP?

Edited by jumbo

Yup, you get the social security benefits (assuming the scheme is still operating and you are still living here at the right age) and the roads, power lines, water system, flood controls, etc. along with the 'police' and the 'government.' :D

Now this sums up all the things I desire in life. ha ha ha ha

Yes, you are correct, over your earnings more than 1 mio upto 4 mio. you pay 30%, you paying more than 50.000 thb a year (or is it per month and usd?) should know that exactly :rolleyes: . :rolleyes:

Any expat/foreign worker working for a (foreign) multinational in Thailand and not being a teacher would have a split salary, being partly paid and taxed in Thailand and the remainder depending on his nationality and the tax laws from his home country. In a few cases that means tax free....

Anyone that pays more that 50.000 in tax in Thailand is not fully optimizing his tax possibilities, hence I shouldn't brag to much about how little others pay compared to you, makes you look :blink:

Back to the OP?

I digress to my original question which I asked purely out of curiosity. I do pay 50,000 baht in personal income taxes at 4,200 baht per month. I pay an additional 750 baht for Social Security. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to complete a full year of taxable employment so I do not yet know what will be the true tax implications.

I will have a better understanding after this year, mostly due to this forum, of how much Personal Income Tax I should pay monthly to avoid an overpayment.

So, again, a personal jibe. You are quite aggressive on this - touch a nerve maybe?

However, I do not have a "split" salary. All earned in Thailand, from a Thai company that employs me on a local contract.

I pay the taxes that I owe.

And you might remember that I am NOT the one who put how much tax he pays in the post details.

As such your ire is somewhat misplaced.