What Benefits Am I Entitled To From Thailand?

drdaveperry

You most certainly can claim unemployment benefit. Last year I moved from Government school to private school.

I went to the social security office to ask that I pay the 432 a month myself. They gave me forms to fill out. They then sent me to the labour department to fill out some more.

They then asked for my bank account details. I asked why.

They said that seeing as I had left my Government position I was unemployed. I said that I had a new job so was employed.

They then said that in the eyes of the Government I was not employed.

The benefit was 150 baht a day for 90 days. I was a bit late going so I didn't get the full 90 days.

You have to go and sign your name on or around the 12th of each month.

I was informed at that time that at age 55 you have two choices. You can either accept a monthly payment of, I think 1000baht, every month until you die or you can receive every single baht you have ever paid in one lump sum.

It would appear that the health insurance covers you for the nearest Government hospital to your home. It does only cover you. It does not extend to family members.

You most certainly can claim unemployment benefit. Last year I moved from Government school to private school.

I went to the social security office to ask that I pay the 432 a month myself. They gave me forms to fill out. They then sent me to the labour department to fill out some more.

They then asked for my bank account details. I asked why.

They said that seeing as I had left my Government position I was unemployed. I said that I had a new job so was employed.

They then said that in the eyes of the Government I was not employed.

The benefit was 150 baht a day for 90 days. I was a bit late going so I didn't get the full 90 days.

You have to go and sign your name on or around the 12th of each month.

I was informed at that time that at age 55 you have two choices. You can either accept a monthly payment of, I think 1000baht, every month until you die or you can receive every single baht you have ever paid in one lump sum.

It would appear that the health insurance covers you for the nearest Government hospital to your home. It does only cover you. It does not extend to family members.

I was told you have to pay in the scheme for 15 years then you get the full pension.

Also the Hospital is the one nearest your work, but you can change it at the beginning of the year if you are quick enough.

If you are married and your wife is not in the scheme and she gets pregnant you can claim the money per month for her.

"It would appear that the health insurance covers you for the nearest Government hospital to your home."

Only if that's where you've been assigned.

As Beano posted, many folks are assigned to the hospital closest to their work. I think that's because your workplace filled out the initial forms, and they just assume that's what you want. They probably think that's easier than asking you and having to answer questions they don't have answers for.

There are also private hospitals in the SS system. Just depends on where you're at. As Beano mentioned, there is a window each year when you can ask to be assigned to a different hospital.

Better ask when that window is open. Beano thinks first of the year. I was thinking first of the fiscal year. So, ask...

"I was told you have to pay in the scheme for 15 years then you get the full pension."

As mentioned, there is also an age requirement. If you qualify you may even get back your employers contributions.

"It does only cover you. It does not extend to family members."

Soc Sec has started a new program for those not in the system through employment. It's for folks 15-70 years old, and is not very good. I'd call it a mini mini light. Details should be on their site now. www.sso.go.th

Terry

I also pay over 50K per year. I make claims for my retirement fund - can claim up to 100K per year (I claim the 80K that I pay into it), then I also claim the interest paid on house mortgage (50K each split between me and wife. MY wife claims for my son. I get a tax return of over 20K per year, so effectively pay about 30K in tax a year.

I also pay over 50K per year. I make claims for my retirement fund - can claim up to 100K per year (I claim the 80K that I pay into it), then I also claim the interest paid on house mortgage (50K each split between me and wife. MY wife claims for my son. I get a tax return of over 20K per year, so effectively pay about 30K in tax a year.

Thank you for your reply. I understand so much more now. Again thank you....

Thank you for your reply. I understand so much more now. Again thank you....

You're welcome. So the main benefit is that you can claim for a few things and get your tex reduced. Like others said if you work for a government organisation then you can pay into the social security fund. I think the minimum term is 15 years or something like that. I work for a private school so I don't get covered for that. You could perhaps use your tax card to get into tourist attractions as a "lower than tourist" rate. Not that thats a great benefit though.