90 Day Check In Farce!

PostmanPat

Reluctant to criticise Immigration, difficult job, ever increasing numbers, but yesterdays 90 day check in experience was a farce.

I arrived about 2.15, my ticket number meant there were about 40 in front of me. Waited patiently for an hour and a half, but noticed long periods when the ticket machine didnt move at all. What was happening was that some people of Asian extraction, I think Burmese , came in, made no attempt to take a ticket, walked straight to the desk and were dealt with immediately. Judging from the fact that they were made to place their thumbprint on the various forms, can only assume these people cannot read or write, therefore wouldnt be able to cope with queue system so for ease, the guys behind the desk just dealt with them there and then. I counted at least half a dozen of these situations, and of course, it naturally took longer for each one because their forms etc werent in order, hence the thumbprint routine.

By now it was approx 3.45. At this point a woman breezed in, went straight to the counter, and was holding something like 5 or 6 passports. As I was now feeling quite frustrated I approached her to suggest she was pushing in. Turns out from her accent she was an Aussie or Kiwi, and she said if you come in after 3.30, the ticket machine is turned off, so you just go straight to the counter and get dealt with!! In response to my somewhat frustrated suggestion that she was queue jumping she just smiled and said something like tough luck, pal, not my problem!!!

Perhaps in future we should all turn up at 3.45??!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your story stinks. I was there yesterday at the exact same time for my 90-day also. When I got my queue card there was also 40 ahead of me. But the numbers went so quickly that I was out of there in less than 20 minutes. A lot of the numbers called were for people that took queue cards then left. Almost every other number was a "no show".

There are always agents approaching the counter with many, many passports. Many of them are Chinese or Burmese. I observed a couple times in the past that these agents don't bother with queue cards. I noticed yesterday that one guy was handling all of them and there were two others handling the queue. I was amazed at how efficient the process was.

I think your story stinks. I was there yesterday at the exact same time for my 90-day also. When I got my queue card there was also 40 ahead of me. But the numbers went so quickly that I was out of there in less than 20 minutes. A lot of the numbers called were for people that took queue cards then left. Almost every other number was a "no show".

There are always agents approaching the counter with many, many passports. Many of them are Chinese or Burmese. I observed a couple times in the past that these agents don't bother with queue cards. I noticed yesterday that one guy was handling all of them and there were two others handling the queue. I was amazed at how efficient the process was.

Sorry, are you calling me a liar? My story doesnt stink its true, so stop being so rude. I got there at 2.15 and waited over 90 minutes, OK? I am not an idiot, nor a liar, so stop being so damned offensive whoever you are.

My number was 528. When I got there the number was about 775, it went to 800 then started again at 500. At about 515 everything ground to a halt for the reasons I explained in my OP. You obviously werent there exactly same time as me otherwise you would have had the same experience.

Edited by PostmanPat

Sorry, are you calling me a liar? My story doesnt stink its true, so stop being so rude. I got there at 2.15 and waited over 90 minutes, OK? I am not an idiot, nor a liar, so stop being so damned offensive whoever you are.

Relax. I didn't say you were a liar or an idiot. I got there at 14:15 also. I just had a much different experience. I was out in 15-20 minutes.

Relax. I didn't say you were a liar or an idiot. I got there at 14:15 also. I just had a much different experience. I was out in 15-20 minutes.

You said my story "stinks". Thats not a nice word to use, as you are clearly implying a lack of truth on my part. If you dont intend to offend, dont use words like that, OK?

I always go after 3pm and rarely have time to fill in a new form before my number is called.

Aren't the numbers for sign-ins different to the numbers for other things such as visa extensions? IE you are in a different queue. That's my memory anyway.

You said my story "stinks". Thats not a nice word to use, as you are clearly implying a lack of truth on my part. If you dont intend to offend, dont use words like that, OK?

I can sympathize with your situation Pat I hate que jumpers too, however it may help if you do as I do when leaving the Immigration always ask for another 90 day report form , then you can fill it out at your leisure at your residence before going to the Immigration for me it works a treat and now all farangs in this area (Buriram) have adopted the same procedure :) :) Edited by Colin Yai

Yeah fair comment ,but just cos you turned out of a side road with your car onto the main road and the road was clear of traffic yesterday does not mean its going be just the same the next day does it?, simply meaning every day is different ;) ;)

I was there today for my 90 day report. In at 10:20 out at 11am which is OK for me.

I notice in the building opposite there were loads of (over 50 for sure) people with Burmese passports.

I can only assume some Thai factories employ a great many Burmese workers legally ( more than we realise) and as these workers are probably illiterate, so they need some special form of assistance.

I don't know, but I'd rather be a retired farang waiting a few hours than a poor Burmese sweat shop worker, getting served quick (so they can return to their sweat shops poste haste no doubt).sad.gif

Let's face it, we sing the praises of immigration, but there's still a lot of 'unfair' stuff that goes on if you are the right person, company etc.

the real issue is there isn't enough staff to cope with the numbers, was there today doing my retirement visa 3.5hrs, with lots of burmese etc, employ more people will go a distance to solving the problem, oh and of course go computerised, paper, paper, paper!

When I arrived in CM 7 years ago immigration was always half empty and 90 day reporting was done in a different office.

Everything was relaxed.

Now there seem to be twice as many foreigners living in CM ,so it's twice as busy but there have been no increases in staff numbers to cope, and I doubt if there will be.In the next 7 years our numbers will probably double again, then its will be really tough!!

So we have to accept things the way they are :(

I'll be interested to learn how McGriffith gets on with his postal check in?

the real issue is there isn't enough staff to cope with the numbers, was there today doing my retirement visa 3.5hrs, with lots of burmese etc, employ more people will go a distance to solving the problem, oh and of course go computerised, paper, paper, paper!

Visas and extensions always take a great deal longer than any other service.

When I arrived in CM 7 years ago immigration was always half empty and 90 day reporting was done in a different office.

Everything was relaxed.

Now there seem to be twice as many foreigners living in CM ,so it's twice as busy but there have been no increases in staff numbers to cope, and I doubt if there will be.In the next 7 years our numbers will probably double again, then its will be really tough!!

So we have to accept things the way they are :(

You got some inside info on staffing levels in Thai Immigration over the next 7 years? Seems a pi** poor outlook to take. No doubt some poster will will come along and suggest if you don't like it leave.

Doppa if you go once a year for a visa and it takes 3.5 hours........so what! 3.5 hours it's nothing over a year. Jeez probably takes longer to get treated in a UK hospital. 3.5 hours is nothing...once a year

I agree with the Op though about queue jumpers......should have a ticket and 1 ticket one passport/person

Edited by likite

It wasnt the waiting, hell, I m retired, and as some have said, whats 2 or 3 hours out of the rest of your life.....no, it was the blatant queue jumpers waltzing in at 3.45, going straight to the counter with 5 or 6 passports, and knowing exactly what she was doing, then kind of laughing at us poor suckers who had the audacity to, well, queue!!

The Burmese worker thing is also a problem, those guys seem to make no attempt to get a ticket, they just go straight to the desk AND get done!!!