90 Day Check In Farce!

PostmanPat

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not sign anything or fill out any paperwork. I don't know about the signature, but I assume hers was good enough since she filled in the paperwork... :)

More power to you LJW, but this is exactly why I cringe, when I hear people talking about the poor overworked immigration officers!

I've used a lot of forums over the years but thai visa seems to have some of the rudest people I've ever come across. I wonder where the permission comes to be rude like that..? I've always thought the basic forum etiquette was politeness.. It's too easy and cowardly to be mean anonymously online. Mike

I think the photocopies only require their 'mark'

How do you know they are Burmese?

So LJW, did your housekeeper forge your signature on the TM47 and photocopies?

I have no idea, I was not there, but there were no photocopies to be signed for my 90 day extension,, :)

And my old tm 47 is still in my passport with my signature.

So what is your point now?

LJW, thanks for the posts and the PM. As I discussed in my PM, I'll give this same approach shot next time.

Edited by mesquite

I've used a lot of forums over the years but thai visa seems to have some of the rudest people I've ever come across. I wonder where the permission comes to be rude like that..? I've always thought the basic forum etiquette was politeness.. It's too easy and cowardly to be mean anonymously online. Mike

These people are very brave behind their screens and obviously do not understand human kindness and understanding. Faceless people are ALWAYS brave ...seems to me that so many who come to this great country carry pain/misunderstanding/ trust/regret, bitterness from their past lives and feel the need to humiliate others by their posts. CHILDRENS PLAYGROUND for those who are affected and who respond that way.

But to return to topic......all this complaining about immigration and the 90 day reporting. Wise up.....just send it by post EMS and you will not have to endure the waiting that you complain about.. It really works, but this forum seems to delight in ignoring simplicity which would result in the less complaints about immigration..........who actually do a good job!.

But to return to topic......all this complaining about immigration and the 90 day reporting. Wise up.....just send it by post EMS and you will not have to endure the waiting that you complain about.. It really works, but this forum seems to delight in ignoring simplicity which would result in the less complaints about immigration..........who actually do a good job!.

True, but then we would have more complaints about the post office and EMS!

You seriously dont mind your passport going off in the post? Have you thought about the consequences if your passport gets lost? New passport, new visa, probably back to your home country to get a non immigrant o then back here to start the retirement visa process all over again......NO THANK YOU!!

Too catastrophic to even contemplate, but good luck to you if you want to take that risk!!!!!!!!!!

You seriously dont mind your passport going off in the post? Have you thought about the consequences if your passport gets lost? New passport, new visa, probably back to your home country to get a non immigrant o then back here to start the retirement visa process all over again......NO THANK YOU!!

Too catastrophic to even contemplate, but good luck to you if you want to take that risk!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you send your passport when mailing a 90 report. You should check the requirements.

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
  2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM.6 (front and back)
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
    Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to

Some workers may not give the same information as others. Everytime I have asked at the counter if I can mail the 90 day report I have been told that I cannot. Maybe because I live in Chiang Mai city.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

This has been covered several times on this forum. You do not need to send your passport. I have renewed my 90 day report for the last year by post. And it has always been successful!!!!

Edited by Raindancer

I don't think you send your passport when mailing a 90 report. You should check the requirements.

1. Copy of all passport pages (up to the latest arrival stamp in the Kingdom or latest visa stamp)
  2. Copy of arrival/departure card TM.6 (front and back)
  3. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any)
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47
  5. Envelope with 5 Baht stamp affixed and return address of foreigner for the officer in charge to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received the notification. This part must be kept for reference and for future notifications of staying over 90 days.
  6. The above mentioned documents must be sent by registered mail and the receipt of the registration kept by the foreigner.
    Send the mail before the renewal date 7 days to

Some workers may not give the same information as others. Everytime I have asked at the counter if I can mail the 90 day report I have been told that I cannot. Maybe because I live in Chiang Mai city.

MSPain

The information above about the documents to mail are straight off the Immigration web site. In addition, a Bangkok mailing address is given with no mention if there is mail service for other immigration offices. I will be interested to learn of McG's experience including where he sent his registered letter.

From my experience, however, not so many documents have been required on my visits to the Chiang Mai office. I provide the passport for them to review and the following document photocopies:

1. Picture page of passport

2. Current visa page

3. TM6 departure card (front only)

4. Page with "permit to stay" stamp.

Has this been others' experience at the Chiang Mai office?

Everything done every time quickly with a smile.

Generally, of course, I really do sympathize with the office workers. They really are hassled with so many more people to handle, just as ThaiPauly has noted. Real headaches for many, I imagine, by the end of the day just from the constant noise, never mind rude or dense foreigners.

Edited by Mapguy

Maybe some missed another thread where I posted a copy of what CM Imm requires for a 90 day address reporting/check in via mail.

This is an image of an info sheet from CM Imm:

post-23786-0-52949000-1316183343_thumb.j

I mailed my first attempt off as an experiment on 15 Sept Thursday, yesterday.

The (rather clueless) new lady at Thai Post at CMU sub-branch gave me a 3 THB stamp for the return self-addressed envelope.

Hope it does not become not delivered for "insufficient postage". She forgot to charge me the 3 THB; I had to gently remind her that I owed more.

Three small notes.

*I was instructed by the officer at Imm to mail 2 weeks in advance.

*I sent it "registered", which cost me a breathtaking total of 18 THB from a CM to CM address (plus 3 THB for the stamp on the return envelope).

*If the whole thing doesn't work out, i.e. I don't receive my little paper thingie in the next week....I still have time to go in, in person, and mingle with the crowd.....:lol:

Maybe some missed another thread where I posted a copy of what CM Imm requires for a 90 day address reporting/check in via mail.

This is an image of an info sheet from CM Imm:

post-23786-0-52949000-1316183343_thumb.j

I mailed my first attempt off as an experiment on 15 Sept Thursday, yesterday.

The (rather clueless) new lady at Thai Post at CMU sub-branch gave me a 3 THB stamp for the return self-addressed envelope.

Hope it does not become not delivered for "insufficient postage". She forgot to charge me the 3 THB; I had to gently remind her that I owed more.

Three small notes.

*I was instructed by the officer at Imm to mail 2 weeks in advance.

*I sent it "registered", which cost me a breathtaking total of 18 THB from a CM to CM address (plus 3 THB for the stamp on the return envelope).

*If the whole thing doesn't work out, i.e. I don't receive my little paper thingie in the next week....I still have time to go in, in person, and mingle with the crowd.....:lol:

I have to post the comment that "registered post", is NOT EMS......I have sent my 90 day report in for the past year by post and used EMS which costs around 38 baht and Guaranteed delivery "Next day". The return envelope SAE costs around 3 baht . But I have spoken with the postmaster of Sansai to find out if you can have the return of your 90 day report sent by pre paid EMS....I am still waiting.!

I will keep you updated regarding the return by prepaid EMS as mine is due in three weeks.

Edited by Raindancer

Quite right Raindancer, registered mail is just that...registered mail.

It is not Expedited Mail Service (EMS).

But I do get a receipt, with a date, showing I sent the item. And it offers tracking, just like EMS, for a lot less price.

In my case, living in CM Muang, no need to send expedited, as regular post takes a day or 2 max.

(only time I use EMS is sending important things to the Old Country)

:)

But I do get a receipt, with a date, showing I sent the item. And it offers tracking, just like EMS, for a lot less price.

In my case, living in CM Muang, no need to send expedited, as regular post takes a day or 2 max.

It sounds like you must go to the post office to send registered mail or EMS. If that is the case, why not go to immigration? Pick your poison.

I went to Immigration friday, 16th sept. for my 90 day. Wife dropped me in parking lot at 11:15, i made copies, signed them, walked inside. Got my #, one person ahead of me. Dated my filled out form. 11:22 i was finished, out the door....

Two weeks before i was there at 6:45 for 1 yr extension...Got out at 12.....Oh well......

Chorizo.....

I for one am not retired; and have way better things to do with 2-3 hours. Using the right lawyer seems to solve any issues with having to queue at immigration, you don't even have to go there for 90 day reporting :whistling:

You've mentioned before in previous posts you have a lawyer on retainer who handles your Immigration issues.

Care to share with the community how much it costs, and the gentleman's name?

http://www.assistthaivisa.com/index.html

I dont use them myself as I leave the country sometimes so am down to just a couple of 90's per year if that.

but they do it for 1000b per annum.

It sounds like you must go to the post office to send registered mail or EMS. If that is the case, why not go to immigration? Pick your poison.

Because the wait at the post office is usually not the same as the wait / parking problems / stress etc of immigration.

As they accept a postal 90 days wouldn't it make sense to have a "drop box " at immigration same docs as postal with stamped addressed return envelope etc, certainly useful for those that live in CH perhaps.

But then as sometimes it only takes a few minutes to get it done in person do it while you are there?

Just thinking out loud. :)

Because the wait at the post office is usually not the same as the wait / parking problems / stress etc of immigration.

Spot on LivinLOS. And my post office is only 5 minutes away as opposed to the 20 minute drive and the wait involved. Furthermore the less people who queue up for whatever reason, the better it is for all concerned who work there and the people waiting..

Any suggestion that relieves the congestion at the office has to be positive, be it a drop box or mail-in. Staff could sit in a back room and process. At a guess would that mean 25% less people sitting/standing around on any given day ? just a guess.

Any suggestion that relieves the congestion at the office has to be positive, be it a drop box or mail-in. Staff could sit in a back room and process. At a guess would that mean 25% less people sitting/standing around on any given day ? just a guess.

They do not accept "drop in boxes". And to be fair to them (immigration CM), they have always said, "what evidence do we or the Farang have that he/she sent in their application". So they appreciate the EMS system which is monitored by themselves and the postal system. So for those who criticise or complain about THAI policy and immigration waiting times.......immigration appear to have a soul and seems to want to help those who help themselves by making their work and workload easier, by using the postal system. Try it for yourselves .!!!

I've got a bit fed up doing the 90 day thingy. Of late, I prefer to do a 2-3 day trip out of Thailand, and that resets the 90 day requirement clock. Direct (non-stop) international flights out of Chiang Mai are currently Kunming (China Eastern), Singapore and K.L. (Air Asia), Luang Prabang with Lao Air and Yangon with a Burmese airline. Can also drive to Mai Sai and cross the border for a few hours. More interesting than sitting for an unknown length of time at CM immigration.

Edited by TheScribe

Spot on LivinLOS. And my post office is only 5 minutes away as opposed to the 20 minute drive and the wait involved. Furthermore the less people who queue up for whatever reason, the better it is for all concerned who work there and the people waiting..

Well, to each their own, but making an online appointment and just going out there seems a lot easier than fiddling with copies of passports, unstapling and then restapling the slip, fooling with envelopes, waiting in line at the post office, EMS etc. Granted if you're in Hang Dong or somewhere it might be better to mail, but if you're in the city, Immigration is the way to go. Also, then you know it's been done.

Of course the best way is the one described by LJW where you just send a trusted Thai person out there with the passport only. Or having that law firm mentioned above handle it.

Edited by mesquite

Tuff call. Maybe you should have just got up and joined the rest people without number tickets and taken your chances. Don't think I would/could have been as patient as you, good job!

Make a weekend trip every three months!

I prefer to travel to Mae Sai, do some shopping in Burma and overnight, and have a good time, instead of standiong in line like an idiot!

"corruption is not an invention of the third world"

cheers,

Well, to each their own, but making an online appointment and just going out there seems a lot easier

Except that is not the purpose of the online appointment system. It is for extensions as shown on the online queue form. Using it for 90 day reporting prevents someone who needs the appointment, for the time consuming extensions, from getting a slot.

Well, to each their own, but making an online appointment and just going out there seems a lot easier

Except that is not the purpose of the online appointment system. It is for extensions as shown on the online queue form. Using it for 90 day reporting prevents someone who needs the appointment, for the time consuming extensions, from getting a slot.

It is for anything you need to do at immigration. That is what they told me.

It is for anything you need to do at immigration. That is what they told me.

Quote from the on-line queue form: "Reason for extension visa". You should NOT use it for quick and trivial things like a 90-day report.

/ Priceless