English Muffins

Gonzo the Face

Good luck. You could try making your own. I did that years ago and they were quite good.

Here in Bangkok Foodland makes them but not really good. But Foodland also sells frozen "Londoner" brand from Singapore which are quite good so if you can find that in Chiang Mai you might give it a try.

Can you buy English crumpets in Chiang Mai?

Never seen them, but they are easy to make on a griddle or frying pan.

Tried the Londoner brand from Rim Ping the other day. They are good, but pricey.

Crumpet Recipe.

Ingredients

350 g plain flour 1 tsp yeast

½ tsp sugar 300 ml warm water

about 200 ml milk 1/2 tsp. Bicarbonate of soda

1 tsp. Salt oil for greasing

Put the water and sugar in a bowl then whisk in the yeast. Gradually add half the flour, whisking constantly until you have a smooth batter. Cover with a damp cloth and leave until frothy, about 20 minutes.

Gradually stir in the remaining ingredients, beating until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to make a pouring batter.

Grease a griddle or heavy shallow frying pan, and about six pastry/crumpet rings.

Heat the griddle or pan thoroughly over a medium heat. Place the rings on the griddle and allow them to heat up before you and pour about 2 tablespoons of batter into each of the rings. Cook until set and holes have formed on the surface of the crumpet, before you remove the rings, turn the crumpets over to lightly brown on the other side.

Temperature control is important. Too hot and you will burn the bottom before the top has set.

When cooked, set aside to cool on wire racks.

To serve. Toast lightly and serve drenched in butter./ with jam and clotted cream/ smoked salmon and sour cream/tomato and melting cheese/ Mmmmmmm…….

(The Bicarbonate of Soda is optional. I find it helps here, because the yeast is not always totally up to scratch.)

If asked, I shall post my Muffin recipe later :o

You could try JJ restaurante in the Montri Hotel.

They used to sell the best muffins I have had in LOS.

JJ moved out of the Montri some time back.

I suspect the searcher for "English Crumpet" is pulling our legs. Everyone knows "Thai Crumpet" is so much nicer.

You could try JJ restaurante in the Montri Hotel.

They used to sell the best muffins I have had in LOS.

JJ moved out of the Montri some time back.

I suspect the searcher for "English Crumpet" is pulling our legs. Everyone knows "Thai Crumpet" is so much nicer.

My screen seems to be a little blurry. Did you say that a Thai Strumpet tastes so much better ???? :o

Got my order in for English crumpets there coming on the 10/11/05!

Asked the parents if they had any spare room in the suitcase to throw a few packets in as its been over 6 months from the last time they visited.

Can't wait to see them again! (M&S crumpets!!)