3Bb Iptv

justsumhelp

Looks like there is a nice promotion going on with 3bb http://iptv.3bb.co.t.../home/index.php Im already on the 9/1mb plan and after taxes my monthly cost is 950baht. So for the price of a few big Leo's I could have IPTV, anyone use it? I called the call center and they said they have "many channel english and subtitle Thai for movie", but also i was directed to go to one of the service center for a complete list. Here is the list I found http://iptv.3bb.co.t...ptv/channel.php Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Don't have it, but did see a demo they had at the 3BB shop at Central Changwattana. Most os the channels were Thai, similar to what you see on DTV, and there only 2 or 3 English channels, the movies they showed in English IMO were crap as they seemed like they were the ones from small studios that went straight to DVD.

Edited by arkom

• 10 months later...

Is anyone using 3BB IPTV ? http://iptv.3bb.co.t.../home/index.php (Thai only) shows it cost 2,300 for a set-top box and 100/m (1.090/m but I already have a 990/m 9M/1M ADSL connection). I understand there won't be much for me to watch but I don't watch TV anyway and it's mostly going to be for my wife.

I called 3BB and they insist I have to use their crappy Billion router for the set-top box to work. Obviously the sales rep I spoke to couldn't give any technical reason for this and I am convinced they just want to sell their own router either for convenience or profit, but I have a very good Linksys WRT54GL/Tomato that I don't intend to replace, so I'm curious to hear if anyone have any actual experience with this.

• 2 months later...

I saw the channels list both online and via one of their flyers at their kiosk at CentralWorld. I'd say you could could the number of available English language channels in their package on less than the fingers of a single hand.

Phil, they have some info on the FAQ section of their website re their routers... I Google translated it, and it appears to be saying several different Thai market routers could be used... See the following:

post-58284-0-95274600-1350889294_thumb.j

It's all a moot point now. After a month of really poor international download speed, i.e. ~300 Kbps !!, and talking to neighbors here who have True internet, I've decided to switch to true after having been a faithful 3BB customer for the past 8 years nonstop. The past month I've called 3BB every couple of days and get one runaround after another. Som nam nah 3BB. (this also lowers my price from 1000 baht/month for 13M/1.0M to 700 baht/month for 14M/1.4M)

It's all a moot point now. After a month of really poor international download speed, i.e. ~300 Kbps !!, and talking to neighbors here who have True internet, I've decided to switch to true after having been a faithful 3BB customer for the past 8 years nonstop. The past month I've called 3BB every couple of days and get one runaround after another. Som nam nah 3BB. (this also lowers my price from 1000 baht/month for 13M/1.0M to 700 baht/month for 14M/1.4M)

So how is the True internet working for you?

- Do you subscribe only to True internet or a package deal?

- Are you receiving your internet connection through a separate RJ-11 line like 3BB?

- How do you compare your reception with 3BB's?

- Did you connect your True internet line to your Linksys WRT54GL/Tomato router?

Edited by Ahnsahn

True came to install it today but it still isnt' working, I think they need to switch on something somewhere.

Just True internet. I already have all possible Thai TV channels through FTA satellite and there is nothing True offer on cable TV that I'd be interested in watching. With working Internet I watch TV over Internet from Denmark, US and UK (mostly Hulu). I have a HTPC connected directly to my TV.

Delivery through cable - our village has DOCSIS.

Don't know how good yet, but my neighbor has it and get a couple of Mbit from UK and US so it should certainly be better than 3BB is right now.

True comes with a cable modem. I'll probably hook my Linksys WRT54GL/Tomato router on the back of that when everything works. At the moment I still use the Linksys for 3BB until the True line is fully operational.

They came back and it works now.

My current 3BB line is 13M/1M, just upgraded (free) from 9M/1M about a month ago. Speedtests today:

2272444006.png

XtyEUG9.hZ3CB7D.png

3704.png

The new TRUE line is 14M/1.4M:

2272458607.png

69UE5sO.rDXAUPG.png

9739.png

So there you are, fresh data from today.

And keep in mind the True line is 300 baht less per months...

True came to install it today but it still isnt' working, I think they need to switch on something somewhere.

Just True internet. I already have all possible Thai TV channels through FTA satellite and there is nothing True offer on cable TV that I'd be interested in watching. With working Internet I watch TV over Internet from Denmark, US and UK (mostly Hulu). I have a HTPC connected directly to my TV.

Delivery through cable - our village has DOCSIS.

Don't know how good yet, but my neighbor has it and get a couple of Mbit from UK and US so it should certainly be better than 3BB is right now.

True comes with a cable modem. I'll probably hook my Linksys WRT54GL/Tomato router on the back of that when everything works. At the moment I still use the Linksys for 3BB until the True line is fully operational.

They came back and it works now.

My current 3BB line is 13M/1M, just upgraded (free) from 9M/1M about a month ago. Speedtests today:

2272444006.png

XtyEUG9.hZ3CB7D.png

3704.png

The new TRUE line is 14M/1.4M:

2272458607.png

69UE5sO.rDXAUPG.png

9739.png

So there you are, fresh data from today.

And keep in mind the True line is 300 baht less per months...

Those cool speed tests plus a 300 baht savings has me going to look into moving to True (from 3BB).

Is your connection the telephone jack type from cable line or from satellite dish?

The connection is coax cable just like you'd have it for cable tv, but it goes into a special cable modem where it changes to standard 100 mbps ethernet.

I still use the Linksys router with the 3BB line, so I actually have two lines at the moment. When I'm sure everything is stable I'll cancel the 3BB line and probably switch the True router into bridge mode and use the Linksys as router as it has better control and logging facilities.

Phil, those are pretty decent speeds for True's cable service, certainly much better on your test results above for the Texas and N.J. server tests compared to 3BB's results.

You probably won't do that well in Thailand prime time hours when there's a lot of local load/congestion on the shared cable internet lines. But it still ought to be better than your 3BB results. And of course, always good to save a bit of baht.

Actually perhaps wait a little by switching ... since I got up this morning the True cable modem has been unable to connect to the server. The 3BB line on the other hand is working really well today; I had calls from the 3BB network guys in Bangkok working with me to find the problem with the international connections. (they actually speak quite decent English too). It would have been nice if they would have done that 3-4 weeks ago when the problems started and I reported them first, but better late than never.

I think for now I'll keep both lines ... it's not that expensive anyway, and that way there's a reasonable chance that one of them works tongue.png

• Like 1

That's a good approach, and one I've done myself in the past with dual internet connections.

Anytime you start with a new ISP, it's always a bit of a crapshoot of just what kind of connection they're going to provide to your specific location. You never really know till the service is turned on and sometimes go through some fine-tuning follow-up service calls.

My True cable has been up and running all day, so presumably whatever's going on there is a local issue. You'd think they'd get things right the first time on a new install. But it often seems like True Online can't manage to get the details right on the first go-round.

6pm I hard reset the modem and then it connected. No idea why it wasn't able to connect without the hard reset.

Todays bandwidth tests. Sorry if it's boring but it's an easy convenient way for me to store my notes :)

3BB - nominally 13M/1M

2274127120.png

2971.png

0tkQHG6.cwe512j.png

zJ9CSqn.E4doX5g.png

TRUE - nominally 14M/1.4M

2274136568.png

230.png

NjPhr6i.n1HfWma.png

8j5sibO.vxJRCgQ.png

PS. I realized I could test to Amsterdam Europe too....

Todays tests.

As I mentioned before, until the True line becomes stable I'll keep the 3BB line, but for now I downgraded it from 13G/1G @ 1000 baht to 10G/512K @ 600 baht.

As you can see from the speed tests below it would appear the only change is the connection speed. The actual international bandwidth available appears to be unchanged regardless of plan. In other words, you would actually get a better total international bandwidth by bundling two 10M/512K lines @ 1200 baht than one 20M/1M line at 2290 baht. Of course there's an initial outlay of a load balancing router, for example a Linksys RV042 @ less than 5000 baht, but that'd be a one-off outlay that would have saved itself in less than half a year.

Of course in the real world it may not always be that simple. A HD video stream usually needs to be a single stream so would not benefit from a bundled connection, but in a household with different users doing different things, or even just to get a high(er) availability Internet, it's definitely worth considering.

It would also seem clear by the tests that True's international bandwidth is considerably better than 3BB at this time.

3BB - nominally 10M/512K (downgraded)

2280537209.png

4762.png

wCvcpGB.hsqO0Vg.png

qUX3gZS.t0esnYj.png

TRUE - nominally 14M/1.4M

2280505471.png

1930.png

dBrFSOw.PwmJe5Z.png

mrd8igt.AW0Rxt2.png