Korat Immigration - Yesterday

klikster

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also probably because half of the staff were in Surin operating the monthly mobile service. Check the dates. Next month Khorat will be understaffed on the 11th as the mobile unit will be in Buriram.

Good idea, puchooay. I wondered why the office looked so empty. I'll add a not to the calendar. The staff member said they would only be doing that service for the rest of this year.

For me, the report is just another small block of my time. I don't get very upset by Thai immigration like some folks do. It's about a 100 km round trip because I normally stop at Do Home and/or Tesco, The Mall, etc.

When I lived in Cha am I had about a 280 km round trip. (I refused to patronize the 'tip-takers' in Hua Hin) ;)

• 2 months later...

I know you can do the 90 day report by mail ( enclose SAE for receipt ). Anyone do this or would you recommend attending immigration office in person ?

There have been many threads about reporting by mail, and it seems the answer usually comes out as "up to them". Some people have been successful (they say), some people haven't (they say).

It is up to the particular Thai Immigration office to either allow it or not. I have found it best and easiest to follow the dates on the Mobile Unit's monthly visits and either go to Surin or Chong Chom depending on the date, as both places are equi-distant to my home. I am more comfortable with a personal visit, still don't trust the mail.

Both of those choices are far closer than the drive to Korat and back.B)

Good luck!

I know you can do the 90 day report by mail ( enclose SAE for receipt ). Anyone do this or would you recommend attending immigration office in person ?

It may be permissible at many offices across Thailand, but at Korat there is no 90 day report by post allowed even with a SAE enclosed. Some also say you can either do it in person or via a third party. Which is crazy really, in that I could actually be living in Trat and post my report slip to my brother-in-law who then takes it to immigration and then posts it back to me after reporting on my behalf. The idea of reporting in person, or by a third party, is immigrations way to ensure the person reporting actually lives where they claim. So by allowing third party reporting, it just throws that logic out the window. Immigration rocks !!! Or is it sucks ?? Edited by sinbin

A 90 day report can be done at any immigration office, or for that matter by any person you select to do it for you. The only time you have to appear in person and are restricted to the Immigration office where you live is for the one yr. extension.

Barry

I believe that to be totally misleading/wrong. If it was the case, then why are we not posting our TM47 reports to, let's say, Pattaya ? Reason being is cuz they won't let you. If you care to go back through posts, regarding TM47 reporting by post, you will find that people tried it, by posting to Bangkok, and were told you have to use the office in the area where you live. If you don't believe me then ask the question in the Thai Visa, residency and work permit forum.

Edited by sinbin

A 90 day report can be done at any immigration office, or for that matter by any person you select to do it for you. The only time you have to appear in person and are restricted to the Immigration office where you live is for the one yr. extension.

Barry

I believe that to be totally misleading/wrong. If it was the case, then why are we not posting our TM47 reports to, let's say, Pattaya ? Reason being is cuz they won't let you. If you care to go back through posts, regarding TM47 reporting by post, you will find that people tried it, by posting to Bangkok, and were told you have to use the office in the area where you live. If you don't believe me then ask the question in the Thai Visa, residency and work permit forum.

Are you saying that you CANNOT do a 90 day report at another immigration office - because that is what Barry is saying.

I would be interested to know who is right because I will extend next year for the first time.

Once again it appears to be up to the individual Immigration officer. I am a cripple and on many an occasion when I have staggered into the office the officer who has dealt with me has stated that if it is too inconvenient for me to attend personally then my wife (in actual fact I am not married) can do the reporting on my behalf. I understand now that there is not even a form to be filled in, the Officer types the details straight onto the office computer. When the Thai and Cambodian armies were shelling each other in this area my reporting at a different office was accepted without question, although I agree these circumstances were unusual.

My understand and experiences basically (sort of) support sinbin's comment. Under certain circumstances another party can do your 90 day report, so long as they have your passport and you have signed the document. Wife did it for me once when I had a severely injured leg.

But, as I understand, it still must be done at your assigned immigration office.

Extensions are an entirely different matter. I believe a 3rd party can submit your application if you are hospitalized and have a letter from your doctor.

Edited by klikster

Some also say you can either do it in person or via a third party. Which is crazy really, in that I could actually be living in Trat and post my report slip to my brother-in-law who then takes it to immigration and then posts it back to me after reporting on my behalf.

Besides your report document, your passport would actually need to go to immigration. Seems to me like posting your passport is a substantial risk.

I had a passport stolen many years ago. It was a hassle I would not want to revisit.

You cannot do your annual extension at another office than the one designated for you.

If sending by post (if the office will allow it), you send copies of all the active pages of your passport (if in doubt which, send all). I used to do this before they changed the rules.

Yes, you can do your 90-day report at another office, if that office will allow you to. (I suggested this to a friend, and he tried, and it worked)

Another person can do your report for you (just say you're sick; they don't require a doctor's report). When my friend did this the third time running, they said, "Tell him to come himself next time!" That was Chong Chom.

The fly in the ointment is that every immigration officer varies the rules at will, so what worked for me may not work for someone else (or indeed the next time I try it).

Besides your report document, your passport would actually need to go to immigration. Seems to me like posting your passport is a substantial risk.

Not quite true Klikster. I've done a 90 day report with just a photocopy of my passport and they were happy with my explanation as to why I didn't have it.Having your passport on your person 24/7 is a risk!! For me, I have no qualms in using the Thai postal service to dispatch and receive my passport. I've sent it off to be replaced in BKK by EMS. Sent it to a translator in BKK to get a authenticated translation EMS. I've even sent it back to the UK to open a bank account. All done with ordinary Thai/UK post, no recorded delivery. Before you send it off you just photocopy every page. Other than immigration I never really need my passport.

For 90 day reports you do not mail the passport, only a copy of the relevant pages and of arrival-card.

If you go in persor or send soemone else you will need the passport, not a copy.

That I understand, and was only referring to using the Thai postal service to send my passport to various other places for one thing or another.

My wife has posted her passport inside Thailand using EMS.

Very fast and reliable.

I have posted unregistered parcels to Thailand before from Singapore , they haven't reached their destination ( both English and Thai version of the address on both ).

Never had a problem when registered though.

Not quite true Klikster. I've done a 90 day report with just a photocopy of my passport and they were happy with my explanation as to why I didn't have it.Having your passport on your person 24/7 is a risk!! For me, I have no qualms in using the Thai postal service to dispatch and receive my passport. I've sent it off to be replaced in BKK by EMS. Sent it to a translator in BKK to get a authenticated translation EMS. I've even sent it back to the UK to open a bank account. All done with ordinary Thai/UK post, no recorded delivery. Before you send it off you just photocopy every page. Other than immigration I never really need my passport.

i agree with this. Apart from being slightly bulky I don't want to risk carrying my passport around. I carry my Thai D/L and a photocopy of the main picture/detail page of my passport.

Well, anything can be "not quite true" when looking for exceptions.

I have done reports by mail without passport copies, been refused by mail and done 3rd party reporting with passport. But when looking for "what works at every immigration office every time", I think your passport must be part of the mix.

I almost never carry my passport on my person, but it is omnipresent in house or car in a small shoulder bag. Would I consider sending my passport by mail? Not a chance.

Other than immigration I never really need my passport.

Really? Never do any banking?

Well, anything can be "not quite true" when looking for exceptions.

I have done reports by mail without passport copies, been refused by mail and done 3rd party reporting with passport. But when looking for "what works at every immigration office every time", I think your passport must be part of the mix.

I almost never carry my passport on my person, but it is omnipresent in house or car in a small shoulder bag. Would I consider sending my passport by mail? Not a chance.

The only time I have needed my passport for banking was (a. opening the account (b. taking out 2m Baht cash and (c. picking up a new passbook - everything else is online.

Edited by cardholder

No I don't think so. I use an ATM card and I don't show my passport when getting the bank letter for the immigration office when doing my visa extention.

The only time I have needed my passport for banking was (a. opening the account (b. taking out 2m Baht cash and (c. picking up a new passbook - everything else is online.

And photo ID is pointless if you have a stocking over your head ;)

That's odd - that is EXACTLY what mine looks like.........

For anyone's interest.....I have photocopied my passport and reduced the size by 50%, then laminated it.

So I now have a credit card sized passport copy with a copy of my visa on the reverse side.

This I carry in my wallet and my real passport lies nestled safe and sound in my safe at all times.

I have had this accepted by many establishments including banks.

If anyone is interested then send me a pm and I would be happy to help out.

HL

I have this information second hand, so if anyone wishes to contradict they are quite welcome.

When applying for my non 0 visa, and having a joint bank account with my Thai wife for over 10 years, I was required to close the account and open a new account in my name only. I could not fathom the reason, just put it down to Thai bureaucracy.

Now a story has come to my attention, where a male farang has up and died, and his Thai wife cannot access her deceased husbands account, which as we know is required to have a minimum of 400,00 baht. She was told by the bank, as there is no will the money will be paid into a government account. Apparently the case is now before the courts.

If anyone can confirm that this is the case, then comments are welcomed.

I have this information second hand, so if anyone wishes to contradict they are quite welcome.

When applying for my non 0 visa, and having a joint bank account with my Thai wife for over 10 years, I was required to close the account and open a new account in my name only. I could not fathom the reason, just put it down to Thai bureaucracy.

Now a story has come to my attention, where a male farang has up and died, and his Thai wife cannot access her deceased husbands account, which as we know is required to have a minimum of 400,00 baht. She was told by the bank, as there is no will the money will be paid into a government account. Apparently the case is now before the courts.

If anyone can confirm that this is the case, then comments are welcomed.

Re the first part of your post - you need to be able to show the amount of money required for your visa (or extension thereof), in an account solely in your name. I guess it's the only way they can be reasonably sure that you have enough of your own money to support yourself. If the money is in a joint account, it's quite possible that you may be personally destitute and living, (god forbid), as a kept man. And that would never do!

Re the second part - I think she will eventually get whatever money was in his account at the time of his death, but I understand that there are certain procedures to comply with to prove that she was legally married to him. As far as the 400,000 baht is concerned, remember that as soon as the extension of visa was granted, he could then draw down on that amount, planning to top up the account from overseas 3 months ahead of the next visa extension date.

It's been suggested to me that a will in respect of your Thai assets is not a bad idea. However, if the bank account is the only Thai asset and there's no will, then what I've also heard suggested is that one leaves the PIN number with a trusted friend who, at the time of one's demise, will assist the widow to quietly empty the account. Legal? Not entirely, but a pragmatic way of avoiding those legal complications for which she would, no doubt, have to pay.

When it's a joint account you have to have 800,000 Baht in the bank for an extension based on marriage. If based on retirement then it's 1,600,000 Baht. Go ahead and make it a single account, but let your missus use the ATM card. Just as good as a joint account. She can still use it after your death to use up any money left in the account.

Here's a gripe of mine. Why do women farang, married to a Thai, not have to show money in a bank to obtain her extension, even though they know darn well she supports him ?

When it's a joint account you have to have 800,000 Baht in the bank for an extension based on marriage. If based on retirement then it's 1,600,000 Baht. Go ahead and make it a single account, but let your missus use the ATM card. Just as good as a joint account. She can still use it after your death to use up any money left in the account.

Here's a gripe of mine. Why do women farang, married to a Thai, not have to show money in a bank to obtain her extension, even though they know darn well she supports him ?

I did not know that there was an option with regard to a joint account, but you may be right. However, it does suggest that for the financially challenged, the sensible thing is to have a bank account which is all yours. Perhaps it enlarges to a question of trust between bride and (possibly) ailing groom. In my own situation, I have no problem with my wife having her own bank account and me having mine.

I can't comment on the foreign lady/Thai husband arrangement since I know nothing about this, but it does beg the question, how do they (presumably the Immigration Department), know that she is supporting him? Perhaps foreign ladies married to Thai gentlemen would like to comment.

I did not know that there was an option with regard to a joint account, but you may be right.
Without sounding big-headed Richard I know I am right and, as far as I know, it's always been the case that the monies has to be in a single account for it to be 400,000 or 800,000 Baht. If joint account, then the money doubles. So having a joint account for over 10 years, how have you got away with it 'til now ?
I can't comment on the foreign lady/Thai husband arrangement since I know nothing about this, but it does beg the question, how do they (presumably the Immigration Department), know that she is supporting him?
Perhaps I'm wrong in speculating all farang women are supporting their Thai husbands ? I'm just relating to a case of which I'm familiar with. On that case alone I can't see it being any other way. As it stands she doesn't have to show money in the bank for her visa, from what she tells me.