Korat Immigration - Yesterday

klikster

I have this information second hand, so if anyone wishes to contradict they are quite welcome.

When applying for my non 0 visa, and having a joint bank account with my Thai wife for over 10 years, I was required to close the account and open a new account in my name only. I could not fathom the reason, just put it down to Thai bureaucracy.

Now a story has come to my attention, where a male farang has up and died, and his Thai wife cannot access her deceased husbands account, which as we know is required to have a minimum of 400,00 baht. She was told by the bank, as there is no will the money will be paid into a government account. Apparently the case is now before the courts.

If anyone can confirm that this is the case, then comments are welcomed.

Re the first part of your post - you need to be able to show the amount of money required for your visa (or extension thereof), in an account solely in your name. I guess it's the only way they can be reasonably sure that you have enough of your own money to support yourself. If the money is in a joint account, it's quite possible that you may be personally destitute and living, (god forbid), as a kept man. And that would never do!

Re the second part - I think she will eventually get whatever money was in his account at the time of his death, but I understand that there are certain procedures to comply with to prove that she was legally married to him. As far as the 400,000 baht is concerned, remember that as soon as the extension of visa was granted, he could then draw down on that amount, planning to top up the account from overseas 3 months ahead of the next visa extension date.

It's been suggested to me that a will in respect of your Thai assets is not a bad idea. However, if the bank account is the only Thai asset and there's no will, then what I've also heard suggested is that one leaves the PIN number with a trusted friend who, at the time of one's demise, will assist the widow to quietly empty the account. Legal? Not entirely, but a pragmatic way of avoiding those legal complications for which she would, no doubt, have to pay.

A Will is the sensible way to go - unless you can get away with Richard's practical solution. If amounts in the account include extension deposits I would go for the Will. A joint account will pass by survivorship and a wife will be entitled to half the bank balance of a deceased husband under Thai rules of intestacy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know that there was an option with regard to a joint account, but you may be right.
Without sounding big-headed Richard I know I am right and, as far as I know, it's always been the case that the monies has to be in a single account for it to be 400,000 or 800,000 Baht. If joint account, then the money doubles. So having a joint account for over 10 years, how have you got away with it 'til now ?
I can't comment on the foreign lady/Thai husband arrangement since I know nothing about this, but it does beg the question, how do they (presumably the Immigration Department), know that she is supporting him?
Perhaps I'm wrong in speculating all farang women are supporting their Thai husbands ? I'm just relating to a case of which I'm familiar with. On that case alone I can't see it being any other way. As it stands she doesn't have to show money in the bank for her visa, from what she tells me.

Agree wit \h the doubling om joint accounts UNLESS you have been permitted to stay consequetively since 1998 then the amounts are reduced.

A foreign lady married to a Thai husband doesn't need to show any income, nor does the Thai husband.

I believe the rule in Thailand is that if there is no will the estate goes to the government and the governent dcedides how it is split among the people who can lay a claim on it. Having a will makes a lot of things easier.

90 day report yesterday. No passport page photocopies requested.

Never has been a requirement for a passport photocopy, if report is done in person.

"Was at Nonthaburi the other day, the woman took copies of:

The photo page from the passport

Copy of the actual visa

Copy of the page with last extension

Proof of address (yellow tambien baan)"

"exactly the same at Pitsanoluk immigration"

Without sounding big-headed .. I know I am right ..

Nonthaburi & Pitsanoluk are not Korat. So let's stick to that office and their rules. Without sounding big headed Klikster.............................. The topic of the thread is "Korat Immigration - Yesterday"

Edited by sinbin

A foreign lady married to a Thai husband doesn't need to show any income, nor does the Thai husband.

I believe the rule in Thailand is that if there is no will the estate goes to the government and the governent dcedides how it is split among the people who can lay a claim on it. Having a will makes a lot of things easier.

Mario, this covers it:-

Where a person dies without having made a valid will (Intestacy)

If a person dies without having made a valid will, or if the will only disposes of part of their estate, then the property is distributed in the following ways:

There are six classes of statutory heirs. These are mutually exclusive, and entitlement applies in descending order:

1. Children
  2. Parents
  3. Brothers and sisters
  4. Half-brothers and sisters
  5. Grandparents
  6. Uncles and aunts

Where a spouse survives:

• If the deceased leaves a spouse and children, then the spouse takes 50 percent and the children take 50 percent in equal shares.
  • If the deceased dies leaving a spouse and parents, then the spouse takes 50 percent and parents take 50 percent in equal shares.
  • If the deceased dies leaving a spouse and siblings of the whole blood, then the spouse takes 50 percent and the siblings take 50 percent in equal shares.
  • If the deceased dies leaving a spouse and heirs in classes, 4,5 or 6 above, then the spouse takes two thirds of the estate and the statutory heirs in the class entitled take one third in equal shares.
  • If there are no statutory heirs in existence, the surviving spouse takes the whole estate.

Nonthaburi & Pitsanoluk are not Korat. So let's stick to that office and their rules. Without sounding big headed Klikster.............................. The topic of the thread is "Korat Immigration - Yesterday"

Requirements that start at one immigration office often spread to others.

So let's stick to that office and their rules.

My post was about the Korat office. You stick wherever you like, I'll do likewise. Unless you have suddenly become a moderator, feel free to refrain from giving me posting guidance.

And I know the topic very well. I started it.

When applying for my non 0 visa, and having a joint bank account with my Thai wife for over 10 years, I was required to close the account and open a new account in my name only. I could not fathom the reason, just put it down to Thai bureaucracy.

When it's a joint account you have to have 800,000 Baht in the bank for an extension based on marriage. If based on retirement then it's 1,600,000 Baht. Go ahead and make it a single account, but let your missus use the ATM card. Just as good as a joint account. She can still use it after your death to use up any money left in the account.

Here's a gripe of mine. Why do women farang, married to a Thai, not have to show money in a bank to obtain her extension, even though they know darn well she supports him ?

Wrong again Sinbin. I use to have a joint account and the only difference was that my wife had to also sign the copy of the marriage certificate. I used the 400,000 Baht in the bank, and it was OK with a joint account.

Npw going back to the 90 day report. You can do it at any Immigration office in Thailand. Not by post, but in person.

I use to volunteer at the Pattaya Immigration office, so I think I know the law. Now all the immigration offices have a latitude of discretion, so yes it could be up to the office you deal with.

Barry

When it's a joint account you have to have 800,000 Baht in the bank for an extension based on marriage. If based on retirement then it's 1,600,000 Baht. Go ahead and make it a single account, but let your missus use the ATM card. Just as good as a joint account. She can still use it after your death to use up any money left in the account.

Here's a gripe of mine. Why do women farang, married to a Thai, not have to show money in a bank to obtain her extension, even though they know darn well she supports him ?

Wrong again Sinbin. I use to have a joint account and the only difference was that my wife had to also sign the copy of the marriage certificate. I used the 400,000 Baht in the bank, and it was OK with a joint account.

Npw going back to the 90 day report. You can do it at any Immigration office in Thailand. Not by post, but in person.

I use to volunteer at the Pattaya Immigration office, so I think I know the law. Now all the immigration offices have a latitude of discretion, so yes it could be up to the office you deal with.

Barry

You're talking crap on both counts Bazza.

Barry

Wrong again on both counts Bazza, and you being a 'volunteer at the Pattaya Immigration office'. You should be ashamed for passing misinformation.

Mario2008 user_popup.png

• av-62818.jpg
  • Superb Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png

• Group: Global Moderators

Posted 4 minutes ago

Thai wife is 400,000 in an account in your name only, retirement is 800,000 in an account in your name only.

90 day report is at your own local immigration office, allmost all allow applying by mail.

Edited by sinbin

The main reason I go to this thread is to see Sinbin's totally negative posts.Quite sad I know but true. You really need to get a life mate.

What is your problem anyway?

Glad I don't live next door to you. You'ld be the next door neighbour always popping up when cleaning or working on the motor.

I bit like the character Harry Enfield has " you don't wnat to do it like thaaaaat "

I,m expecting another sad and crass post from SB in defence to my comments in this message.

The main reason I go to this thread is to see Sinbin's totally negative posts.Quite sad I know but true. You really need to get a life mate.

What is your problem anyway?

Glad I don't live next door to you. You'ld be the next door neighbour always popping up when cleaning or working on the motor.

I bit like the character Harry Enfield has " you don't wnat to do it like thaaaaat "

I,m expecting another sad and crass post from SB in defence to my comments in this message.

I had him down more as one of "The Old Gits" :)

http://video.uk.msn.com/watch/video/episode-4/12gm6ss1e

The main reason I go to this thread is to see Sinbin's totally negative posts.

So informing 'Barryofthailand' that he's wrong and then proving him to be wrong, using 'Mario2008', I posted negatively did I ? Well as it stands if you or anyone else, come to that, had took 'Barryofthailand's advice then you'd be in deep doo doo. So I in fact produced a positive post and therefore you should be trying to ridicule him for trying to mislead yous and then thank me for my truthful informative correction to the bile he throws out. Now he's got 3 supporters in his corner I expect he'll soon surface.
Because I know how to. Not like you, whos command of English is somewhat restricted.

</H3>

Dream on Cardholder. You still telling lies, by the way ?

</H3>

Edited by sinbin

and why does he keep changing his Avatar?? Because I know how to. Not like you, whos command of English is somewhat restricted.

Excuse me, Mr. Sinbin, Sir, but what word in the English language is "whos" ?

Did you mean "whose", as in belongs to, or "who's", as a contraction for "who is".?

Time to change your Avatar again, still able to spot you. Can you do one of the ugly girls again, they so fit you.

Not a pleasant thing, though. Have a nice day.

Quote. Because I know how to. Not like you whos command of English is somewhat restricted. Unquote.

Pardon me, but given the content of the quote above, would it not be more correct to say whose, instead of whos?

I know I'm right........

The post was aimed at Mario299, and was supposed to be the highlight of his week, other than posting on here, by catching me out. A favourite pastime for some posters. You spoilt the moment for him Richie. :whistling: Edited by sinbin

This forum seems to be becoming more like Buriramexpats every day....

More like Koratfarang. Hence, why it went down.

So we wait until you start going on about turbo butt blasters and the such like, again.

I like the new avater by the way :)

You have to thank Mario299 for my avatar. It was he that came to mind when choosing it. He asked me to put a woman back on. A woman was hard to find, so the little girl should suffice. It speaks volumes.

Edited by sinbin

You have to thank Mario299 for my avatar. It was he that came to mind when choosing it. He asked me to put a woman back on. A woman was hard to find, so the little girl should suffice. It speaks volumes.

avatar noun - definition, a character or creature that you create to represent yourself.

Fitting.

avatar noun - definition, a character or creature that you create to represent yourself.

Fitting.

Thanks, Carholder, well done.