Where Is It, This Place.

McGarty

There's certainly the airport and the one south of Roi Et. I don't doubt there are others throughout Thailand so there probably is one nearer to Udon also. Place names tend to repeat - I know of at least 5 Santisuks for instance (apart from my TV monicker).

สุวรรณ (souwan) means "gold," one of the many Thai words for gold. ภูมิ (phum, or phumi) means, among other things, "land." So it's "land of gold." You'll find this name scattered around a lot, as a place name or as a surname.

Edited by montrii

Thanks for the replies. Definitely not Swampy airport. As her pronunciation is so bad I'll have to get a decent translation of where this place is. And a map is no use to her either LOL No complaints though it was worth a try.

Sorry, I should have added ,in this Atlas ALL names are in Thai as well as English,so the map will work for her and you.

Thanks for the replies. Definitely not Swampy airport. As her pronunciation is so bad I'll have to get a decent translation of where this place is. And a map is no use to her either LOL No complaints though it was worth a try.

Sorry, I should have added ,in this Atlas ALL names are in Thai as well as English,so the map will work for her and you.

Cheers.

When she comes back from visiting mom n pop, I'll delve deeper. Maybe her accent or the 'slang' way some people talk that has stopped me from really understanding where her family home is.

If she is saying Udon Thani area I would bet it is Suwannakhuha in Nong Bua Lamphu Province, typically ladies from Nong Bua Lamphu say they are from Udon Thani province, being Nong Bua Lamphu was established as a new Thai province in the mid 90s. Nice village areas, beautiful mountains, caves, buffalo eaters; Suwannakhuha claim to make the largest sticky rice balls in Thailand.

post-78747-0-74578700-1316414843_thumb.jpost-78747-0-49020200-1316414861_thumb.j