Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

Here is one for today people,

เนื่องจาก = due to (because of)

nuang jark

It's a good one to use.

In The Rai! :D

very civil servant-esq there today, In the Rai! :o

Well I keep doing it in hope that it triggers a few more people to get involved. I think its a great idea for all of us to keep up with. It only takes a minute or 2 a day.

In The Rai!

ผมมีความชำนาญในเรื่องการเล่นรักบี้ (pom mi kwarm chumnarn nai luang garn len rugby)I have alot of skill in playing rugby or ผมชำนาญในเรื่องการเล่นรักบี้ (pom chumnarn nai luang garn len rugby)I am skilled at playing rugby.

Interesting - I'd like to say that I used to have a skill for playing rugby or snooker, but not anymore because I'm too old for one and don't practice the other.

ในเรื่อง - do you think this is necessary?

ผมเคยมีชำนาญเล่นรักบี้แต่ตอนนี้ ไม่มีเนื่องจาก วัยสูงอายุ

(pom koeey mee kwam chamnan len rugby dtae dton nee mai mee nuang jak wai soong ayoo)

I used to be a skilled rugby player but due to old age I'm not now :o

Hey I like the way you put the 2 examples together.

ในเรื่อง - do you think this is necessary? I thought I was but I will have to check. it would be good to get a Thai perspective but that is the way it was taught to me. you could change it to ในด้าน instead.

ผมเคยมีชำนาญเล่นรักบี้แต่ตอนนี้ ไม่มีเนื่องจาก วัยสูงอายุ I like your example. Putting both of my last 2 example words in the same sentence. very creative mate.

I was always told if you are going to use the verb to have มีชำนาญ you must use ความ with it, or take away the มีความ and just use ชำนาญ

I would write it like ผมเคยมีความชำนาญเล่นรักบี้แต่ตอนนี้ ไม่ค่อยได้เล่นเนื่องจากอายุมากขื้น

Pom koy mi kwarm chum narn len rugby dtae don ni mai koy dai len neung jark aryoo mark koon.

วัยสูงอายุ surely your not that old mate? :D:D

In The Rai!

Edited by In the Rai!

I would write it like ผมเคยมีความชำนาญเล่นรักบี้แต่ตอนนี้ ไม่ค่อยได้เล่นเนื่องจากอายุมากขื้น

Pom koy mi kwarm chum narn len rugby dtae don ni mai koy dai len neung jark aryoo mark koon.

Thanks pal for that - I'd like to highlight that th 'koy's are different. I've often heard learners of Thai get them confused - I've never liked pork(mai koei chaawb moo) I don't really like pork(mai koy chaawb moo thaorai)

I wonder, how would I say, 'I've never really liked pork very much'? Could I say 'mai koei koy chaawb"?

วัยสูงอายุ surely your not that old mate?

I could maybe last 15-20min these days.

Edited by Neeranam

That might fall into the category of things that are technically grammatical, but infrequently or never said because its awkward to pronounce.

But I can think of other phonologically similar constructions (with totally different meanings) that are attested on Google (in small numbers):

ไม่เคยค่อย ๆ ขับ (I've never driven slowly)

ไม่ค่อยเคย X (I'm not used to X)

Also, I got two results, one each from the SEAlang "small web" and "big web" corpora that appear to match Neeranam's usage:

แล้วถ้าเป็น user ที่ไม่เคยค่อยจะรู้เรื่องคอมฯ เนี่ยควรใช้ onboard

เด็กและวัยรุ่นไม่เคยค่อยเห็น เท้าแพลง จะมีก็คนกลางคน

But two matches out of 138,000,000 characters in the two corpora makes it quite rare!

Edited by Rikker

That might fall into the category of things that are technically grammatical, but infrequently or never said because its awkward to pronounce.

But I can think of other phonologically similar constructions (with totally different meanings) that are attested on Google (in small numbers):

ไม่เคยค่อย ๆ ขับ (I've never driven slowly)

ไม่ค่อยเคย X (I'm not used to X)

Also, I got two results, one each from the SEAlang "small web" and "big web" corpora that appear to match Neeranam's usage:

แล้วถ้าเป็น user ที่ไม่เคยค่อยจะรู้เรื่องคอมฯ เนี่ยควรใช้ onboard

เด็กและวัยรุ่นไม่เคยค่อยเห็น เท้าแพลง จะมีก็คนกลางคน

But two matches out of 138,000,000 characters in the two corpora makes it quite rare!

Yeh it doesnt sound right to me. I just ran it by the wife and she laughed at me. So judging by that whether it is gramatically correct or not, it is not said.

In The Rai! :o

Buk Ham Lae.

issan word.

S.sophon,

good to see you keeping this topic alive... :o

Are you able to post in Thai letters as well if possible or the English meaning too if you can as sometimes we can not translate it from the letters you have used.

eg some people write the word เป็น ben or pen

or ทำ as taam or tam or tum so without the Thai letters or English words it makes it hard sometimes to work out..

cheers

ITR :D

ปฏิกิริยา patigiriyar (reaction)

ในทางลบ nai tarng lob (negatively)

ตอนผมกลับมาดึก เมียผมมีปฏิกิริยาโต้ตอบในทางลบ don pom glab mar dug mia pom mi patigiriyar do dob nai tarng lob

When I come home late my wife reacts very negatively.

Or we say when I come home late my wife reacts badly. (would be used in English more)

ITR :o

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread is great. We really need it if for no other reason then to encourage each other. PasaThaiYakMak.

I have noticed many of the post talking about pronouncation. All transliteration systems are trash including the one I use. I have been advised many times to learn to read the script first and then to learn to speak. It works. I study out the sound of the word that is written in thai and then speak it out loud to my wife. 99% of the time I get it right. Now I have to start remembering what the words mean.

Also, you don't need to be able to read much. Just have a handy list of the script and the sounds that they represent and a list of the many vowles. You will learn to read. Also make a list of exceptions as you learn them. It is so much easier to say it correctly using the script instead of some system that is really useless.

I can type fast, but, I have not tried to type in thai yet. Sounds like a real trip.......

Bubbaba welcome,

ปมด้อย bomdoi (inferiority complex)

หญิงโสภฌี ying sopani (prostitute)

มัก mak (often)

ลูกของหญิงโสภฌีมักมีปมด้อยเพราะไม่รู้ว่าใครเป็นพ่อเด็ก

lug kong ying sopani mak mii bomdoi praw mai roo wa krai ben por dek

Children of female prostitutes often have an inferiority complex because they dont know who their father is.

ITR :o

• 2 weeks later...

1 more to keep this thread going..... :D

There has been alot of people post about allergic reactions , so I thought this might help.

ตรวจเช้คอาหารทุกอย่างก่อนที่จะให้ผมกิน

druwat chek aharn tuk yarng gon ti ja hai pom gin

Please check the all the food before you give it to me to eat.

(you would obviously have to tell them what you cant eat before hand :o

ตรวจ druwat (check/mark)

เช้ค chek (check)

อาหาร aharn (food)

ทุกอย่าง tuk yarng (everything)

ก่อน gon (before)

จะให้ผมกิน ja hai pom gin (give it to me to eat)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like this one-word-a-day idea - as a reminder, or if you haven't seen it before, is Travlang's word-a-day for Thai and a host of other languages sent to you by email daily. You can even paste the script and Roman spelling directly into Excel and maintain the sound player link. Go to [Link removed as per anti spam policy. /Meadish] .

I like this one-word-a-day idea - as a reminder, or if you haven't seen it before, is Travlang's word-a-day for Thai and a host of other languages sent to you by email daily. You can even paste the script and Roman spelling directly into Excel and maintain the sound player link. Go to [Link removed as per anti spam policy. /Meadish] .

AongtheChoaPraya,

does it give you a word only or does it also put it into sentences?

Curious ITR :o

Continuing on yesterdays theme: the word for government:

ÃÑ°ºÒÅ Rat-ta-baan

Why can't I read the Thai script in Samran's posts but can in all the others'?

Anyway a word from me

หวานwăan

[ ADJ ] sweet ; sweet-tasting

[ ADV ] as easy as pie ; effortlessly ; comfortably ; pleasantly

[ V ] keep turning ;

[ ADJ ] sweet-sounding ; mellifluous ; luscious

หวาน usually sweet is used with many other words

ปากหวาน bpàak wăan sweet-talk ; flatter

I should think that everybody knows this already, however, I heard it used in a different way recently. I was talking to a Thai friend and I said that a mutual friend knew much miore Thai than Iand she said "But you sweetmouth" This confused me and I asked her if she meant the same as เพราะหู : เพราะพริ้ง (pleasant sounding) and she said yes. I have never heard it used this way, so maybe it is not common. Maybe somebody else can shed some light.

ฝันหวาน făn wăan vainly hope ; cherish an illusion

Now this would appear to translate as "Sweetdreams", but the dictionary defines as above. ฝันดี făn dee good dream would be what we would call sweet dreams. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

หวานคอแร้ง wăan kor ráeng easy ; simple ; (slang)piece of cake

(be carefull how you say the 1st 2 syllables of this if other farangs are listening!

Edited by loong

ปากหวาน bpàak wăan sweet-talk ; flatter

I should think that everybody knows this already, however, I heard it used in a different way recently. I was talking to a Thai friend and I said that a mutual friend knew much miore Thai than Iand she said "But you sweetmouth" This confused me and I asked her if she meant the same as เพราะหู : เพราะพริ้ง (pleasant sounding) and she said yes. I have never heard it used this way, so maybe it is not common. Maybe somebody else can shed some light.

Yes Bark warn is used as sweet talker. Someone who says all the right things. Someone who says something nice to get something in return. For example one person has all the beer and you want a glass. If you say something like "gee you look young and lovely today" (just to get the beer) more than likely she will say Bark warn.

หวานคอแร้ง wăan kor ráeng easy ; simple ; (slang)piece of cake

(be carefull how you say the 1st 2 syllables of this if other farangs are listening!

:o:D

never heard of it.. nice one ( I will watch my pronounciation too)

Sorry for late reply-- The Travlang site only sends you a word a day, but again I like the idea to cut and paste it elsewhere and still hear the sound. However, there's also a Language Page where you select a country and then it gives you many categories of words and phrases like general, shopping, etc. There's also a link to ThaiARC's Language page - very imformative.

I didnt see a privacy policy either- It is not a good idea to accept the blocked pop-ups. So, it is not perfect (ad-intensive) but lots of info.

AongtheChoaPraya,

does it give you a word only or does it also put it into sentences?

Curious ITR :o

No posts yet today so I can add one.

ค่าเท่ากับศูนย์ khaa thao gap soon

of no value; pointless; ไร้สาระ which I always use, has a similar meaning.

I was talking about an activity at work which was pointless. If it was not done, there would be no negative result. Somebody said ค่าเท่ากับศูนย์

I was talking about an activity at work which was pointless. If it was not done, there would be no negative result. Somebody said ค่าเท่ากับศูนย์

Thanks for that - good to see this thread still going.

Reminds me of 'hua laan dai wee' which means 'useless' too.

'hua laan' means bald, and 'wee' means comb.

Kinda like as much use as a chocolate teapot or an ashtray on a motorbike.

Thanks for that - good to see this thread still going.

Reminds me of 'hua laan dai wee' which means 'useless' too.

'hua laan' means bald, and 'wee' means comb.

Kinda like as much use as a chocolate teapot or an ashtray on a motorbike.

I like that Neeranam,

about as pointless as fly screens in a submarine.. :o

• 2 weeks later...

It's a distortion of สัตว์ [LS]sad which means 'animal' and is used as an insult (often with ไอ้ as a prefix)- the pronunciation here would be [LL]saad (extended vowel sound and exaggerated low tone).

The messed up spelling is chat/cartoon/teenager type language, and can create a 'funny' or 'milder' effect. Along the same lines, you often see มาก (a lot; much; many) written as มากกกกกกกกก in chat or informal letters.

This can be regarded as quite offensive, or as funny, depending on the person you're talking to and what relation you have to each other. Personally I'd avoid it.