Let's Learn One Word A Day.

Neeranam

Hi all:

It’s a miracle. The prayer given by members of Thailand Forum is duly heard.

My daughter “Sii-Faa-Chan” left the hospital the day before yesterday (3July2007).

We enjoyed the time staying in our home whole day yesterday after two weeks of hospital life.

Thank you very much for your kind and vigilant attention to the matter.

Hi all:

My daughter “Sii-Faa-Chan” left the hospital the day before yesterday (3July2007).

We enjoyed the time staying in our home whole day yesterday after two weeks of hospital life.

That's great to hear! I happy for you guys. I wish for continued happiness.

Hi all:

That's great to hear! I happy for you guys. I wish for continued happiness.

Wonderful News! Good to see that miracles still happen... Welcome home to your daughter and your whole family!

Enjoy,

:o

dseawarrior

That's excellent news Khun Srachai! Cherish and enjoy the time with your family, and thank you for reminding us all how fragile it all can be, so we all remember to make the best of it.

All the best to you and your family - may you have many more happy years together. :D:o

Hi all:

Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful words to my daughter. I really appreciate it very much.

Now I have to go into next step.

สูติบัตร (birth certificate)

๑ เด็กที่เกิด (1. child new born)

๑.๗ ผู้ทำคลอด: แพทย์แผนปัจจุบัน (1.7 staff to help a childbirth: Doctor Penpatchuban)

I translated the same birth certificate for the second daughter 4 years ago as shown above.

At that time, my translation was “Doctor Penpatchuban”.

While I translate it in Japanese scripts, I’ve realized that my translation was wrong.

There is no Doctor whose name is Penpatchuban(แผนปัจจุบัน).

Does anybody help me in this regard?

What is Penpatchuban(แผนปัจจุบัน)?

I have to translate the birth certificate for Sii-Faa-Chan in Japanese so that she can be a Japanese citizen.

Thank you.

แพทย์แผนปัจจุบัน means something like 'Doctor of modern medicine' as opposed to 'Doctor of traditional medicine 'แพทย์แผนโบราณ'

เด็กที่เกิด = The newborn child:

(Presumably this is the headline of a field where you are supposed to fill out the name of the child, or other information about her).

Khun Meadish:

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

This time, I’m sure that Penpatchuban is not a name of doctor but I didn’t know what it was.

Now I know what it is and my translation for แพทย์แผนปัจจุบัน will be contemporary doctor / modern doctor / current doctor / etc.

About 3 years ago, I sent the same translation of birth certificate with Doctor Penpatchuban and the translation were duly accepted by the Japanese government and my second daughter had got Japanese citizenship.

I’m very ashamed for it.

Congratulations and what a beautiful picture of your first child!

I suspect that the "doctor of modern medicine" is stated that way to distinguish if from a midwife or ผดุงครรภ์ or หมอตำแย

From Lexitron:

ผดุงครรภ์ [N] midwife; obstetrician

Syn. หมอตำแย

Notice the word หมอ, doctor, imbedded in this synonym.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck!

Khun David:

Thank you very much for you comment.

Actually the avatar shows my second daughter. My adorable first daughter passed away 6 years ago at Khonkaen Central Hospital by the same disease of Sii-Faa-Chan. Only 12 days of life.

Is Lexitron Thai-English dictionary?

My dictionary is Thai-Japanese dictionary edited by Takejiro Tomita (Most famous Thai-Japanese dictionary).

Khun David:

Thank you very much for you comment.

Actually the avatar shows my second daughter. My adorable first daughter passed away 6 years ago at Khonkaen Central Hospital by the same disease of Sii-Faa-Chan. Only 12 days of life.

Is Lexitron Thai-English dictionary?

My dictionary is Thai-Japanese dictionary edited by Takejiro Tomita (Most famous Thai-Japanese dictionary).

Since your English is so excellent, I could not tell you are not a native English speaker. Lexitron is indeed a Thai/English, English/Thai dictionary. It was created by NECTEC in Thailand and is available both online and as a download. Here is the url: http://lexitron.nectec.or.th/index1.php You can use the dictionary directly on line or you can download it for use when you are off line. Downloading, which is free, requires registration.

I like Lexitron the most of all dictionaries, not because it is the most comprehensive of the available dictionaries, but because of its features. For example, most defined words are accompanied by sample sentences. In addition. the dictionary provides Thai synonyms and antonyms. Finally, you can copy and paste the words, definitions, samples, and other information to build vocabulary lists. A number of other language sites have downloaded the Lexitron for use in other formats. See, for example, http://dict.longdo.com/.

Let me know what you think.

Khun David:

Registration for Lexitron has been completed but password has not been returned yet.

Downloading of the dictionary is available only after login. Am I right?

It seems to me that it’ll take sometime more to receive the password. (not instantly)

I created my own dictionary (=list of Thai words) about 7 years ago. It contains 20,000 words.

Downloading of my dictionary is available by connecting the address shown below.

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/thai_dic.htm

Thank you.

Khun David (and also to all other members of the Forum):

Today I just received the password from Lexitron.

It’s been a long time isn’t it? But anyway I will try it.

Sii-Faa-Chan’s condition;

One week has passed since Sii-Faa-Chan left the hospital and she is still stable in her physical condition.

Although we have to see the doctor at Khonkaen Ram Hospital from time to time, we are very happy and enjoy our lives with the newborn Sii-Faa-Chan. While we lull Sii-Faa-Chan, she will give back a very big smile immediately. Nurses in Khonkaen Ram Hospital are saying that Sii-Faa-Chan is very good at smiling, only one in one hundred newborns.

The biggest thing, which surprised us, is that Sii-Faa-Chan spoke aloud the Thai word แม่ (m>ee, mother) only after 14 days or so since born. She might be a genius. (I hope)

Thank you.

I think this post is a great idea. Speaking as one of the Thai-Language-Challanged, I appreciate your effort.

A couple questions about Thai that has intrigued me...First question, I was able to learn Russian, Spanish and some Japanese quite easily, but for some reason can't seem to get Thai...I can't seem to hear (or reproduce, apparantly) the tones. I really have tried. I took an intensive Thai class, had a private instructor, practiced whenever possible, still can't be understood.

Second, is it just me or do Thai's NOT use tones in their pronunciation of words when they are singing? Every English-speaing Thai person I have asked says, "I don't know". I certainly can't hear the tones apart from the musical one....is it just me?

Sincerely curious.

Today we learn some of adverbs in Thai.

1 副詞的なことばを使う Learning adverb in Thai.

~มาก m>aak とても Very

* เขาเป็นคนดีมาก kh<ao pen khon dii m>aak 彼はとてもいい人です。 He is a very good person.

~มาก m>aak とても Very

~เหลือเกิน l<u(i)a kaa(*)n 非常に、甚だしく、とても Very, seriously, very

* แฟนคุณหล่อเหลือเกิน fee(a)n khu(+)n l,oo(a) l<u(i)a kaa(*)n あなたの恋人はすごくハンサムだ。 Your lover is terribly handsome.

หล่อ l,oo(a) ハンサム Handsome

สมาร์ท sam'aart スマート stylish

~เหลือเกิน l<u(i)a kaa(*)n 非常に、甚だしく、とても Very, seriously, very

~นิดหน่อย n'it n,oo(a)i 少し A little bit

* พูดไทยได้นิดหน่อย ph>uut thai d>ai n'it n,oo(a)i 少しタイ語を話すことができます。 I can speak Thai a little.

~นิดหน่อย n'it n,oo(a)i 少し A little bit

สักครู่ s,ak khr>uu しばらく、ちょっと For a while, a little moment

* รอสักครู่นะคะ roo(a) s,ak khr>uu n'a? k'a? しばらくお待ちください。 Please wait for a while.

สักครู่ s,ak khr>uu しばらく、ちょっと For a while, a little while

~ที่สุด th>ii s,ut 最も Most

* เขาเก่งที่สุดในห้องนี้ kh<ao k,ee(i)ng th>ii s,ut nai h>oo(a)ng n'ii 彼はこの教室で一番できる。 He is the best in this classroom.

~ที่สุด th>ii s,ut 最も Most

ทั้งหมด th'ang m,ot 全部で、みんなで In total, with all

* ทั้งหมดเท่าไร th'ang m,ot th>ao rai 全部でいくらですか。 How much is it in total?

ทั้งหมด th'ang m,ot 全部で、みんなで In total, with all

ส่วนมาก / ส่วนใหญ่ s,u(+)an m>aak / s,u(+)an y,ai 大部分は / 大部分は The most part

* คนญี่ปุ่นส่วนใหญ่ชอบเมืองไทย khon y>iip,un s,u(+)an y,ai ch>oo(a)b mu(i)ang thai 日本人は大部分がタイが好きです。 Most of the Japanese like Thailand.

ส่วนใหญ่ s,u(+)an y,ai 大部分は As for the most part

ส่วนมาก s,u(+)an m>aak 大部分は As for the most part

ปกติ p,akat,i? 通常は、普通は Usually, ordinary

* ปกติผมไม่ทานเบียร์ที่บ้าน p,akath,i? ph<om m>ai thaan bia th>ii b>aan 普通私は家ではビールを飲まない。 Usually I don't drink beer in my home.

ปกติ p,akat,i? 通常は、普通は Usually, ordinary

ไม่~เลย m>ai~laa(*)i まったく~ない It doesn't have ~ at all.

* เดี๋ยวนี้ผมไม่มีสตางค์เลย d<iao n'ii ph<om m>ai mii sat<aang laa(*)i いま私は全くお金を持っていません。 I don't have money at all now.

ไม่~เลย m>ai~laa(*)i まったく~ない doesn't have ~ at all.

~เกินไป kaa(*)n pai あまりにも、すごく Too terribly

* แกงนี้เผ็ดเกินไป ทานไม่ไหว kee(a)ng n'ii ph,et kaa(*)n pai thaan m>ai w<ai このケーンは辛すぎて食べられない。 This curry is too hot to eat.

~เกินไป kaa(*)n pai あまりにも、すごく Too terribly

~อีก ?,iik 更に、また Furthermore, again

* เขาจะมาอีกพรุ่งนี้ kh<ao c,a? maa ?,iik phr>ung n'ii 彼はまた明日来ます。 He will come again tomorrow.

~อีก ?,iik 更に、また Furthermore, again

ค่อนข้าง~ kh>oo(a)n kh>aang かなり Very

* หนังเรื่องนี้ค่อนข้างจะสนุก n<ang r>u(i)ang n'ii kh>oo(a)n kh>aang c,a? san,uk この映画はかなりおもしろい。 This movie is very interesting.

~ตลอด tal,oo(a)t ずっと More

* วันนี้ผมอยู่บ้านตลอด wan n'ii ph<om y,uu b>aan tal,oo(a)t 今日は私はずっと家にいます。 I stay at home today all the day long.

~ตลอด tal,oo(a)t ずっと More

~ก็... k>oo(a) ~も… ~ is …, too.

* ผมก็เสียใจเหมือนกัน ph<om k>oo(a) s<ia cai m<u(i)an kan 私も同様に残念です。 I am disappointed in the same way, too.

~ก็... k>oo(a) ~も… ~ is …, too.

ไม่ค่อย~ m>ai kh>oo(a)i あまり~でない It is not ~ very much.

* หน้าหนาวปีนี้ ไม่ค่อยหนาว 今年の冬はあまり寒くない。 It isn't so cold in this winter.

ไม่ค่อย~ m>ai kh>oo(a)i あまり~でない It is not ~ very much.

หน้า n>aa 季節 Season

~ก่อน k,oo(a)n まず、先に First, first

* เชิญนั่งก่อนซิครับ chaa(*)n n>ang k,oo(a)n khr'ap まあおかけください。 Please take a seat first.

~ก่อน k,oo(a)n まず、先に First, first

แล้วก็~ l'ee(a)o k>oo(a) それから Then

* ขอวิสกี้โซดาแก้ว แล้วก็ไวน์แก้วด้วย kh<oo(a) w'itsak>ii soo(+)daa k>ee(a)o l'ee(a)o k>oo(a) wai k>ee(a)o d>uai ウイスキーのソーダ割りを一杯と、それからワインを一杯下さい。 Give me a glass of whiskey soda and a glass of wine.

แล้วก็~ l'ee(a)o k>oo(a) それから Then

เกือบ~ k,u(i)ap ほどんど almost all

* นักเรียนที่นี่ขยันเกือบทุกคน n'ak rian th>ii n>ii khayan k,u(i)ap th'uk khon ここの生徒はほとんどみんな勤勉です。 Almost all these students are diligent.

เกือบ~ k,u(i)ap ほどんど almost all

~อีกที ?,iik thii もう一度 Again

* ผมจะลองดูอีกที ph<om c,a? loo(a)ng duu ?,iik thii 私はもう一度やってみます。 I will try it again.

~อีกที ?,iik thii もう一度 Again

~ด้วยกัน d>uai kan 一緒に Together

* จะไปด้วยกันไหม c,a? pai d>uai kan m<ai 一緒に行きませんか。 Don't you go together?

~ด้วยกัน d>uai kan 一緒に Together

~เหมือนกัน m<u(i)an kan やはり、同様に Still, in the same way

* เขาก็เป็นอาจารย์เหมือนกัน kh<ao k>oo(a) pen ?aacaan m<u(i)an kan 彼女もやはり先生です。 She is also a teacher.

~เหมือนกัน m<u(i)an kan やはり、同様に Still, in the same way

* หนังเรื่องนี้ค่อนข้างจะสนุก n<ang r>u(i)ang n'ii kh>oo(a)n kh>aang c,a? san,uk この映画はかなりおもしろい。 This movie is very interesting.

I thought that the word "ค่อนข้าง" was a bit less glowing than "very". For example, see Lexitron:

ค่อนข้าง [AUX] rather; somewhat

Syn. ออกจะ, ค่อนข้างจะ

Def. หนักหรือกระเดียดไปทางใดทางหนึ่ง.

Sample:วัฒนธรรมของในแต่ละสังคมจะมีการกำหนดเอาไว้ค่อนข้างเป็นระบบระเบียบ

"Culture within various societies is defined fairly systematically."

Perhaps you could set forth a list of Thai words describing the continuum from "very, very much" through "only a little bit". Thanks.

Today we learn about preposition for Thai language. 2 前置詞的なことばを使う usage for preposition of Thai language

กว่า kw,aa ~より(比較を示す) Than ~ (Comparison)

* อันนี้ดีกว่าของผม ?an n'ii dii kw,aa kh<oo(a)ng ph<om これは私のよりもよい。 This is better than mine.

กว่า kw,aa ~より(比較を示す) Than ~ (Comparison)

จาก c,aak ~から(空間的) From ~ (place)

* เขามาจากเมืองไทย kh<ao maa c,aak mu(i)ang thai 彼はタイから来ました。 He came from Thailand.

จาก c,aak ~から(空間的) From ~ (place)

ตั้งแต่ t>ang t,ee(a) ~から(時間的) From ~ (time)

* คุณเรียนภาษาไทยตั้งแต่เมื่อไร khun rian phaas<aa thai t>an t,ee(a) m>u(i)arai あなたはいつからタイ語を勉強していますか. When have you been studying Thai language from?

ตั้งแต่ t>ang t,ee(a) ~から(時間的) From ~ (time)

จนถึง con th<u(i)ng ~まで(場所や時間) To ~ (place and time)

* ผมจะอ่านหนังสือจนถึงเที่ยง ph<om c,a? ?,aan nangs<uu(i) con th<u(i)ng th>iang 私は正午まで勉強します。 I study until noon.

จนถึง con th<u(i)ng ~まで(場所や時間) To ~ (place and time)

ต่อ t,oo(a) ~に対して Toward ~

* ผู้ชายควรจะสุภาพต่อผู้หญิง ph>uu chaai khuan c,a? s,uph>aap t,oo(a) ph>uu y<ing 男性は女性に対して紳士的であるべきだ。 A man should be gentlemanly toward the woman.

ต่อ t,oo(a) ~に対して Toward ~

ควร khuan すべきである You should do.

จะ c,a? ~します(未来を表す) I will do ~ (future)

สุภาพ s,uph>aap 丁寧な、礼儀正しい polite

แก่ k,ee(a) ~に to ~

* นี่เป็นของขวัญแก่คุณ n>ii pen kh<oo(a)ng kh<wan k,ee(a) khun これはあなたへのプレゼントです。 This is the present to you.

แก่ k,ee(a) ~に to ~

ของขวัญ kh<oo(a)ng kha w<an おみやげ Souvenir

โดย doo(+)i ~で With ~ / by ~

* พจนานุกรมเล่มนี้แต่งโดยอาจารย์โทมีต้า ph'otcanaan'ukrom l>e(+)m n'ii t,ee(a)ng doo(+)i ?aacaan thoomiit>aa この辞書は富田先生によって編纂されました。 This dictionary was compiled by Mr. Tomita.

โดย doo(+)i ~で With ~ / by ~

แต่ง t,ee(a)ng 著述する、著す written

เรียบเรียง r>iap riang 著述する、著す written

กับ k,ap ~と(共に) with

* ฉันกับพี่สาวเรียนหนังสือห้องเดียวกัน ch<an k,ap ph>ii s<aao rian n<ang s<uu(i) h>oo(a)ng diao kan 私と姉とは同じクラスで勉強した。 I studied in the same class with my sister.

กับ k,ap ~と(共に) with

เพื่อ ph>u(i)a ~のため For ~

* โครงการนี้ทำเพื่อเด็กยากจน khroo(+)ng kaan nii tham phu(i)a dek yaak con このプロジェクトは貧しい子供たちのために行われている。 This project is held for the poor children.

เพื่อ ph>u(i)a ~のため For ~

โครงการ khroo(+)ng kaan 計画 Plan / project / schedule

ยากแค้น,ยากจน y>aak kh'ee(a)n, y>aak con 貧乏な poor

สำหรับ s<am r,ap ~用、よりについては As for ~

* สำหรับเรื่องนี้ ผมไม่มีความรู้ s<am r,ap r>u(i)ang n'ii ph<om m>ai mii khwaam r'uu この件については、私には知識がありません。 As for this matter, I don't know much about it.

สำหรับ s<am r,ap ~用、よりについては As for ~

ด้วย d>uai ~で、用いて with ~

* คนไทยทั่วไป ทานข้าวด้วยช้อนส้อม khon thai th>ua pai thaan kh>aao d>uai ch'oo(a)n s>oo(a)m 一般のタイ人はスプーンとフォークで食事をします。 A general Thai has a meal with spoon and fork.

ด้วย d>uai ~で、用いて with ~

ทั่วไป th>ua pai 一般に Generally

ที่ th>ii ~で、~に(場所) With ~, in ~ (place)

* ที่เมืองไทยมีผลไม้เยอะ th>ii mu(i)ang thai mii ph<onlam'ai y'a(*) タイでは果物がたくさんあります。 There is much fruit in Thailand.

ที่ th>ii ~で、~に(場所) With ~, in ~ (place)

เยอะ y 'a(*)? たくさんの、ふんだんにある Many /much

เยอะแยะ y'a(*)? y'e(a)? たくさんの、ふんだんにある Many /much

ตาม taam ~にしたがって In accordance with ~/by~

* ตามเงื่อนไขข้อนี้ คุณจะบิดพลิ้วไม่ได้ taam ng>u(i)an kh<ai kh>oo(a) n'ii khun c,a? b,it phl'iu m>ai d>ai この条件によれば、あなたは契約不履行は出来ない。 You can't breach the contract by this condition.

ตาม taam ~にしたがって In accordance with ~/by~

เงื่อนไข ng>u(i)an kh<ai 条件 Condition

ข้อ kh>oo(a) 項目 Item

ความตอนหนึ่ง khuwaam too(a)n n,u(i)ng 項目 Item

บิดพลิ้ว b,it phl'iu 従わない doesn't follow.

เกี่ยวกับ k,iao k,ap ~に関して、について About ~, about 、

* ขอดูหนังสือเกี่ยวกับจิตวิทยา kh<oo(a) duu n<ang s<uu(i) k,iao k,ap c,itt,a w'itthayaa 心理学に関する本を見せてください。 Show a book about psychology.

เกี่ยวกับ k,iao k,ap ~に関して、について About ~, about 、

จิตวิทยา c,itt,a w'itthayaa 心理学 Psychology

ตลอด tal,oo(a)t ~を通じて Through ~

* ขออวยพรให้คุณมีความสุขตลอดชีวิต 生涯を通じてあなたがずっと幸せでありますように。 May you be happy through the life.

อวยพร ?uai phoo(a)n 祝福する bless

ตลอด tal,oo(a)t ~を通じて Through ~

ภายใน phaai nai ~のうちに In ~

* ต้องส่งรายงานภายในอาทิตย์นี้ t>oo(a)ng s,ong raai ngaan phaai nai ?aath'it n'ii 今週中にレポートを出さなければならない. You must submit a report within this week.

ภายใน phaai nai ~のうちに In ~

ส่ง s,ong 送る、派遣する、見送る send/submit

รายงาน raai ngaan 報告 Report

ของ kh<oo(a)ng ~の(所有) (The possession) of ~

* บ้านของเขาหลังใหญ่และมีสระน้ำด้วย b>aan kh<oo(a)ng kh<ao l<ang y,ai l'e? mii s,a? n'aam d>uai 彼の家は大きくてプールもある。 His house is big, and there is a swiming pool, too.

ของ kh<oo(a)ng ~の(所有) (The possession) of ~

หลัง l<ang …軒(家屋などに用いる類別詞) … eaves (the classification words to use for the house and so on)

สระน้ำ s,a? n'aam プール swiming pool

สระว่ายน้ำ s,a? w>aain'aam プール swiming pool

แล้วแต่ l'ee(a)o t,ee(a) ~次第、~による depending on ~, by ~

* อันไหนก็ได้ แล้วแต่คุณ ?an n<ai k>oo(a) d>ai l'ee(a)o t,ee(a) khun どれでもいいです。あなた次第です。 Anything is alright, depending on you.

แล้วแต่ l'ee(a)o t,ee(a) ~次第、~による depending on ~, by ~

อันไหน ?an n<ai どの Which

อย่าง y,aang ~のような Like ~

* คนอย่างเขาไม่ควรได้รับการยกย่อง khon y,aang kh<ao m>ai khuan d>ai r'ap kaan y'ok y>oo(a)ng 彼のような人間は賞賛を受けるべきではない。 A man like him shouldn't be praised.

อย่าง y,aang ~のような Like ~

ควร khuan すべきである You should do.

ได้รับ d>ai r'ap 受ける receive

การ kaan 事 Thing

ยกย่อง y'ok y>oo(a)ng ほめる praise

นอกจาก n>oo(a)k c,aak ~以外に Except for ~

* นอกจากนี้ ผมไม่มีอะไรจะพูดอีกแล้ว n>oo(a)k c,aak n'ii ph<om m>ai mii ?arai c,a? ph>uut ?,iik l'ee(a)o これ以外には私にはもう話すことがありません。 I have nothing to tald other than this.

นอกจาก n>oo(a)k c,aak ~以外に Except for ~

ยกเว้น y'ok w'ee(i)n ~を除いて Except for ~

* ดิฉันชอบอาหารญี่ปุ่นยกเว้นปลาดิบ d,ich'an ch>oo(a)b ?aah<aan y>iip,un y'ok w'ee(i)n plaa d,ip 私は刺身を除いて日本料理が好きです。 I like Japanese dishes except for sashimi (raw fish).

ยกเว้น y'ok w'ee(i)n ~を除いて Except for ~

Khun David:

My Thai-Jap Dictionary says as,

ค่อนข้างดี rather good

ค่อนข้างมาก rather many (much)

So I have to admit that you are right.

หนังเรื่องนี้ค่อนข้างจะสนุก This movie is rather (somewhat) interesting.

I think Lexitron is very good dictionary, but I have not downloaded that yet because the size of file is too big to download.

I’d better purchase CD of Lexitron.

Thank you.

Today we learn about conjunction for Thai language. 3 接続詞的なことばをつかう usage for conjunction of Thai language

ทั้งๆที่ th'ang th'ang th>ii ~であるにもかかわず although

* ทั้งๆที่ผมห้ามแต่เขาก็ไม่ฟัง th'ang th'ang th>ii ph<om h>aam t,ee(a) kh<ao k>oo(a) m>ai fang 私が禁じたにもかかわらず彼はいうことを聞かない。 Although I forbade him to do, he doesn't listen to.

ทั้งๆที่ th'ang th'ang th>ii ~であるにもかかわず although

ถ้าหากว่า th>aa h,aak w>aa もし~ならば if

* ถ้าหากว่าคุณคิดถึงผม โทรศัพท์มาหาผมก็ได้ th>aa h,aak w>aa khun kh'it th<u(i)ng ph<om thooras,ap maa h<aa ph<om k>oo(a) d>ai もしあなたが私のことを恋しく思ったら、私に電話をかけてきても良い。 If you miss me, you may call me by telephone.

ถ้าหากว่า th>aa h,aak w>aa もし~ならば if

โทรศัพท์ thooras,ap 電話 Telephone

มาหา maa h<aa 訪問する visit

เพราะว่า phr'o(a)? w>aa ~名の出(原因) because

* เขาเรียนภาษาไทยเพราะว่าชอบเมืองไทย 彼はタイが好きなのでタイ語を勉強している。 He is studying Thai language because he likes Thailand.

เพราะว่า phr'o(a)? w>aa ~名の出(原因) because

ถึงแม้ว่า th<u(i)ng m'ee(a) w>aa たとえ~でも Even if, even ~

* ถึงแม้ว่าหิมะจะตกดิฉันก็จะไปให้ได้ th<u(i)ng m'ee(a) w>aa h,im'a? t,ok d,ich'an c,a? pai h>ai d>ai たとえ雪が降っても、私は必ず行きます。 Even if it were snow, I will come visit you.

ถึงแม้ว่า th<u(i)ng m'ee(a) w>aa たとえ~でも Even if, even ~

หิมะ h,im'a? 雪 Snow

(หิมะ)ตก (h,im'a?) t,ok (雪が)ふる (Snow) fall

ดิฉัน d,ich'an 私(女性語) I (woman's word)

ไป pai ก. 行く go

ให้ h>ai 贈る present

ได้ d>ai สามารถ 出来る possible

แต่ t,ee(a) しかし But

* อาหารไทยเผ็ดแต่ก็อร่อยมาก ?aah<aan thai ph,et t,ee(a) k>oo(a) ar,oo(a)i m>aak タイ料理は辛いが、しかしそれでもとてもおいしい。 Thai cuisine is hot, but it is still very delicious.

แต่ t,ee(a) しかし But

อร่อย ?ar,o(a)i / ?ar,oo(a)i おいしい delicious

เลย laa(*)i それで、従って Therefore, therefore

* งานของเขายุ่งมาก เลยลืมทานข้าวกลางวัน ngaan kh<oo(a)ng kh<ao y>u(+)ng maak laa(*)i luu(i)m thaan kh>aao klaang wan 彼の仕事はとても忙しいので、それで昼食を食べ忘れた。 He was very busy, therefore he forgot taking a lunch.

เลย laa(*)i それで、従って Therefore, therefore

งาน ngaan การที่ทำ 仕事 Work

ยุ่ง y>u(+)ng มีธุระมาก 忙しい busy

ลืม luu(i)m 忘れる forget

ทาน thaan กิน 食べる eat/have/take

ข้าว kh>aao ข้าวสวย ご飯 rice/lunch

กลางวัน klaang wan 昼、昼間 Noon, daytime

เพราะฉะนั้น phr'o(a)? chan'an だから Therefore, so

* เขาเป็นคนดีมาก เพราะฉะนั้นผู้จัดการเลยเอ็นดู kh<ao pen khon dii m>aak pr'o(a)? chan'an ph>uu(+) c,at kaan laa(*)i ?enduu 彼はとてもいい人だ。だから社長は可愛がる。 He is a very good person, so the president loves him.

เพราะฉะนั้น phr'o(a)? chan'an だから Therefore, so

ผู้จัดการ ph>uu(+) c,at kaan 支配人 Manager

เลย laa(*)i 動詞の前につけて「それでそのまま続けて次の動作に移る」ことを表す putting before the verb (succession for the next movement)

เอ็นดู ?enduu 可愛がる love/care for/take care of

ไม่งั้น m>ai ng'an そうでなければ otherwise

* ต้องขยันดูหนังสือ ไม่งั้นจะเรียนไม่จบ t>oo(a)ng khay<an duu n'angs<uu(i) m>ai ng'an c,a? rian m>ai c,op まじめに勉強しなければならない。そうでないと卒業できない。 You must study seriously, otherwise you can't graduate.

ไม่งั้น m>ai ng'an そうでなければ otherwise

ขยัน khay<an 勤勉な diligent

จบ c,op 終わる、終了する finish

หรือ r<oo(i) あるいは Or

* จะรับชาหรือกาแฟดีคะ c,a? r'ap chaa r<oo(i) kaafee(a) dii k'a? お茶にしますか、それともコーヒーにしますか。 Which do you prefer, tea or coffee?

หรือ r<oo(i) あるいは Or

รับ r'ap 受ける、受け取る take/receive

สมมุติว่า s<om m'ut w>aa かりに~ならば If you were~

* สมมุติว่าคุณเป็นเขา คุณจะทำอย่างไร s<om m'ut w>aa khu(+)n pen khao(+) khu(+)n c,a? tham y,aangrai もしかりにあなたが彼だったならばどうしますか。 If you were him, what do you do?

สมมุติว่า s<om m'ut w>aa かりに~ならば If you were~

และ l'e(a)? そして Then

* ทุกคืนก่อนนอน ดิฉันไหว้พระและสวดมนต์ th'u(+)k khuu(i)n k,oo(a)n noo(a)n di,ch'an w>ai phr'a? le? s,uat mon 毎晩寝る前に私は仏様を拝み、そして経文を唱えます。 Every evening before sleeping, I worship Buddha and then I chant the stura.

และ l'e(a)? そして Then

คืน kuu(i)n น. 夜 Night

นอน noo(a)n 寝る sleep

ไหว้ w>ai 拝む worship

พระ phr'a? พุทธรูป 仏像 Buddha image

สวด s,uat สวดมนตร์ 祈る pray

มนต์,มนตร์ mon คำสำหรับสวด お経 Sutra

งั้น ng'an それでは/じゃあ Then / well

* งั้น ผมจะโทรมาใหม่ ng'an ph<om c,a? thoo maa m,ai それではまた電話をかけなおします。 Then, I'll call you back again.

งั้น ng'an それでは/じゃあ Then / well

โทร thoo 電話する(略語) call (telephon) (abbreviation)

โทรศัพท์ thooras,ap 電話 Telephone

แล้ว l'ee(a)o それで、それから Therefore, then

* ไปถึงสพานลอย แล้วเลี้ยวซ้าย pai th<u(i)ng saph<aan loo(a)i l'ee(a)o l'iao s'aai 歩道橋のところまで行って、それから左に曲がります。 go to the pedestrian overpass, and then turn to the left.

แล้ว l'ee(a)o それで、それから Therefore, then

ทั้ง...และ th'ang...l'e(a)? …も~も両方とも Both … and ~

* เขาชอบทั้งหมาและแมว kh<ao ch>oo(a)p th'ang m<aa l'e(a)? mee(a)o 彼は犬も猫もどちらも好きだ。 He likes both dogs and cats.

ทั้ง...และ th'ang...l'e(a)? …も~も両方とも Both … and ~

ยิ่ง...ยิ่ง y>ing...y>ing …すればするほど~ the more… , the more ~

* ยิ่งเรียนยิ่งเก่งขึ้น y>ing rian y>ing k,ee(i)ng kh>u(i)n 勉強すればするほど上手になる。 The more you study, you can get the better in your study.

ยิ่ง...ยิ่ง y>ing...y>ing …すればするほど~ the more… , the more ~

เพื่อที่จะ ph>u(i)a th>ii c,a? ~するために for the purpose of ~

* ดิฉันเรียนภาษาไทยเพื่อที่จะเข้าใจเมืองไทยให้ดีขึ้น d,ich'an rian phaas<aa thai ph>u(i)a th>ii c,a? kh>ao cai mu(i)ang thai h>ai dii kh>u(i)n 私はタイをもっとよく理解するためにタイ語を勉強します。 I study Thai language to understand Thailand better.

เพื่อที่จะ ph>u(i)a th>ii c,a? ~するために for the purpose of ~

เข้าใจ kh>ao cai 分かる、理解する understand

ให้ h>ai 与える give

ดี dii ไม่เลว 良い、いい good

ขึ้น kh>u(i)n เคลื่อนไปข้างบน 上る、登る、上昇する aiise/go up/climb up

หลังจาก l<ang c,aak ~した後で after ~

* หลังจากสอบเสร็จแล้ว เราจะไปเที่ยวต่างจังหวัดด้วยกัน l<ang c,aak s,oo(a)p s,e(i)t l'ee(a)o rao c,a? pai th>iao t,aang cangw,at d>uai kan 試験がおわってから私たちは一緒に地方へ遊びに行きます。 After the examination is finished, we go to each district for play together.

หลังจาก l<ang c,aak ~した後で after ~

สอบ s,oo(a)p 試験 Examination

เสร็จ s,e(i)t ทำเสร็จ 済む、完了する、完成する complete/finished/completed

ต่าง t,aang 各々、各自 Respectively, each

จังหวัด cangw,at 県 Prefecture

ก่อนที่จะ k,oo(a)n th>ii c,a? ~する前に Before doing~

* ก่อนที่จะไปเมืองไทยต้องเรียนภาษไทย k,oo(a)n th>ii c,a? pai mu(i)ang thai t>oo(a)ng rian phaas<aa thai タイへ行く前にタイ語を勉強しなければなりません。 Before going to Thailand, you must study Thai language.

ก่อนที่จะ k,oo(a)n th>ii c,a? ~する前に Before doing~

พอ phoo(a) ~すると(すぐに) As soon as~

* พอหัวถึงหมอน ก็หลับไปเลย phoo(a) h<u(+)a th<u(i)ng m<oo(a)ng k>oo(a) l,ap pai laa(*)i 頭が枕に着くや否やすぐにそのまま眠ってしまった。 As soon as my head is on the pillow, I slept totally.

พอ phoo(a) ~すると(すぐに) As soon as~

หลับ l,ap 眠る sleep

เลย laa(*)i เป็นอันขาด ぜんぜん Really/totally/absolutely

เวลา wee(i)laa ~するとき When ~

* เวลาสูบบุหรี่ ต้องนึกถึงผู้อื่น wee(i)laa s,uup bur,ii t>oo(a)ng n'u(i)k th<u(i)ng ph>uu ?,uun タバコを吸うときは、他の人のことを考えなければならない。 When you smoke, you must think of other people.

เวลา wee(i)laa ~するとき When ~

สูบ s,uup ก. 吸う smoke (cigarette)

บุหรี่ bur,ii 煙草 Cigarette

นึก n'u(i)k 思う think of/think about

ถึง th<u(i)ng เกี่ยวกับ ~について about~

ผู้ ph>uu คน 人、者 Person, person

อื่น ?,uu(i)n 他の Other

ที่ th>ii ~であるところの which, that

* แมวเป็นสัตว์ที่ผมชอบมาก mee(a)o pen s,at th>ii ph<om ch>oo(a)p m>aak 猫は私がとても好きな動物です。 A cat is the animal that I like very much.

ที่ th>ii ~であるところの which, that

Today we learn about auxiliary verb for Thai language. 4 助動詞などをつかう usage for auxiliary verb of Thai language

~ได้ d>aai ~できる(能力) can (ability)

* เขาเป็นคนรูปหล่อ แถมยังร้องเพลงได้เพราะอีกด้วย kh<ao pen khon r>uup l,oo(a) th<ee(a)m yang r'oo(a)ng phleng d>ai phr'o(a)? ?,iik d>uai 彼はハンサムで、更に歌もきれいに歌うことができる。 He is handsome, and he can sing songs beautifully, too.

~ได้ d>aai ~できる(能力) can (ability)

รูปหล่อ r>uup l,oo(a) 男前、ハンサム handsome man

แถม th<ee(a)m おまけする give an extra

ยัง yang ไปสู่ …に、…へ In …, to …

เพราะ phr'o(a)? 美しい beautiful

~เป็น pen ~できる(学んで) can (after learns)

* ผมขับรถไม่เป็น ph<om kh,ap r'ot m>ai pen 私は車を運転することが出来ません。 I can't drive a car.

~เป็น pen ~できる(学んで) can (after learns)

~ไหว w<ai ~できる(体力的に) can (physically)

* เมื่อคืนดื่มเหล้าจัดไปหน่อย วันนี้ไปทำงานไม่ไหว m>u(i)a khu(i)n d,uu(i)m l>ao(+) c,at pai n,oo(a)i wan n'ii pai tham ngaan m>ai w<ai 昨夜ちょっとお酒を飲みすぎた。今日は仕事に行くことが出来ない。 I drunk Liquor a little bit too much so I can't go for work today.

~ไหว w<ai ~できる(体力的に) can (physically)

จัด c,at ยิ่ง とても Very

หน่อย n,oo(a)i ちょっと A little bit

~ไม่ได้ m>ai d>ai ~できない cannot

* วันนี้ไม่ว่าง ไปพบคุณไม่ได้ wan n'ii m>ai w>aang pai ph'op khun m>ai d>ai 今日は暇がないのであなたに会いに行けない。 It can't go to see you because I have no time today.

~ไม่ได้ m>ai d>ai ~できない cannot

ห้าม~ h>aam ~してはいけない(強い) must not (strong)

* ที่นี่ห้ามสูบบุหรี่ th>ii n>ii h>aam s,uup bur,ii ここは禁煙です。 Here is no smoking area.

ห้าม~ h>aam ~してはいけない(強い) must not (strong)

อย่า~ y,aa ~しないでください Don't do~

* กรุณาอย่าทิ้งสิ่งสกปรกลงบนพื้นถนน karunaa y,aa th'ing s,ing s,okkapr,ok long bon ph'uu(i)n than<on どうか汚いものを道路に捨てないでください。 Don't throw away sloppy thing in the road, please.

อย่า~ y,aa ~しないでください Don't do~

กรุณา karunaa 憐れみ Pity

ทิ้ง th'ing 捨てる throw away

สิ่ง s,ing อัน 物 Thing

สกปรก s,okkapr,ok 汚れた、汚い dirty/dirty

ลง long ไปสู่เบื้องต่ำ 降りる、下がる、下る go down/gets off/fall down

บน bon 上 The top

พื้น ph'uu(i)n กระดาน 床 Floor

ถนน than<on 道 Way

ต้อง~ t>oo(a)ng ~しなければならない You must do~

* เป็นนักเรียนต้องทำตามระเบียบของโรงเรียน pen nakrian t>oo(a)ng tham taam rab,iap kh<oo(a)ng roo(+)ng rian 生徒であれば学校の規則にしたがわなければならない。 If you are a student, you must follow with school rule.

ต้อง~ t>oo(a)ng ~しなければならない You must do~

ทำ tham ประพฤติ 行う do/ excute

ตาม taam ไม่ฝ่าฝืน …に従って In accordance with …/according to...

ระเบียบ rab,iap แบบแผน 規律 Order/rule

ไม่ต้อง~ m>ai t>oo(a)ng ~する必要はない don't need to do

* ถ้าคุณรู้สึกไม่สบาย ไม่ต้องทำงานก็ได้ th>aa khun r'uu s,u(i)k m>ai sab<aai m>ai t>oo(a)ng tham ngaan k>oo(a) d>ai もしあなたは身体の調子が悪いのならば、仕事をしなくてもよい。 If your physical condition is bad, you don't need to do work.

ไม่ต้อง~ m>ai t>oo(a)ng ~する必要はない don't need to do

รู้สึก r'uu s,u(i)k 感じる feel

ต้องไม่~ t>oo(a)ng m>ai ~してはいけない You must not do.

* มารยาทในการใช้ห้องสมุดคือต้องไม่ทำเสียงรบกวนผู้อื่น maa r'a y>aat nai kaan ch'ai h>oo(a)ng sam,ut khuu(i) t>oo(a)ng m>ai tham s<iang r'op kuan ph>uu(+) ?,uu(i)n 図書館を使用することにおける礼儀とは他人の邪魔になるような音をたてないということです。 Etiquette in using a library is not to make a sound which becomes the obstacle of the others.

ต้องไม่~ t>oo(a)ng m>ai ~してはいけない You must not do.

มารยาท maa r'a y>aat 礼儀作法、行儀作法 Etiquette manners, manners

ใน nai …で、…に With …, in …

การ kaan 事 Thing

ใช้ ch'ai จับจ่าย 使う,使用する,利用する、用いる use/use/use/use

ห้องสมุด h>oo(a)ng sam,ut 図書館 Library

คือ khuu(i) すなわち…である、…である In other words.../it is … which is ….

เสียง s<iang สิ่งที่ได้ยิน 音 Sound

รบกวน r'op kuan 邪魔する、煩わす trouble/disturb

ผู้ ph>uu(+) คน 人、者 Person, person

อื่น ?,uu(i)n 他の others

ควร~ khuan ~すべきだ You should do ~.

* อากาศหนาวอย่างนี้ควรจะรักษาสุขภาพให้ดี ?aak,aat n<aao y,aang n'ii khuan c,a? r'aks<aa s,ukkh,a ph>aap h>ai dii 気候がこんなに寒いので、身体にはよく注意するべきだ。 Because the climate is so cold, you should be well careful of the body.

ควร~ khuan ~すべきだ You should do ~.

อากาศ ?aak,aat ภูมิอากาศ 気候 Climate

หนาว n<aao 寒い cold

รักษา r'aks<aa ป้องกัน 守る protecte

สุขภาพ s,ukkh,a ph>aap 健康 Health

ไม่ควร~ m>ai khuan ~すべきではない You shouldn't do~.

* ลูกที่ดีไม่ควรทำให้พ่อแม่ผิดหวัง l>uuk th>ii dii m>ai khuan tham h>ai ph>oo(a) m>ee(a) ph,it w<ang 良い子供ならば良心を失望させるべきでない。 If you are a good child, you shouldn't disappoint the parents

ไม่ควร~ m>ai khuan ~すべきではない You shouldn't do~.

ผิดหวัง ph,it w<ang 失望する disappointed

มักจะ~ m'ak c,a? よく~する、しがちだ tend to do~ / ~ is often done

* คุณปู่แก่แล้ว มักจะลืมของไว้ที่นั่นที่นี่อยู่เสมอ khun p,uu(+) k,ee(a) l'ee(a)o m'ak c,a? luu(i)m kh<oo(a)ng w'ai th>ii n>an th>ii n>ii y,uu sam<aa(*) おじいさんは年をとって、よく物をあっちこっちに忘れる。 My grandfather gets old, and leaves things here and there often.

มักจะ~ m'ak c,a? よく~する、しがちだ tend to do~ / ~ is often done

เสมอ sam<aa(*) เป็นนิตย์ いつも、しょっちゅう Always, always

เคย~ khaa(*)i ~したことがある has ever done ~.

* เขาเคยอยู่เมืองไทยมา ๔ ปี น่าจะพูดไทยได้เก่งกว่านี้ kh<ao khaa(*)i y,uu mu(i)ang thai maa sii pii n>aa c,a? ph>uu(+)t thai d>ai k,ee(i)ng kw,aa n'ii 彼は4年タイにいたことがあるので、もっとじょうずにタイ語を話せてもよさそうなものだ。 He should be able to speak Thai better because he has ever been in Thailand for four years.

เคย~ khaa(*)i ~したことがある has ever done ~.

น่า n>aa ~すべきである should do~.

ถูก...~ th,uuk …に~される(文語) I have ~ done by …. (a written language)

* สามีดิฉันถูกยึดใบขับขี่เพราะขับรถเร็วเกินไป s<aamii d,ich'an th,uuk y'u(i)t bai kh,ap kh,ii pr'o(a)? kh,ap r'ot ree(i)o kaa(*)n pai 私の夫はスピード違反で免許証を取り上げられた。 My husband had a license taken by police by speed over.

ถูก...~ th,uuk …に~される(文語) I have ~ done by …. (a written language)

สามี s<aamii 夫 Husband

ยึด y'u(i)t ยึด(ทรัพย์) 没収する confiscated

ใบขับขี่ bai kh,ap kh,ii 運転免許証 Driver's license

เร็ว ree(i)o 早い、速い fast/fast

เกิน kaa(*)n เลยไป 過度の、度をこす excessive

โดน...~ doo(+)n …に~される(口語) I have ~ done by …. (spoken language)

* โซฟาที่บ้านฉันโดนแมวข่วนเป็นรอยเต็มไปหมด soo(+)faa th>ii b>aan ch<an doo(+)n mee(a)o kh,uan pen roo(a)i tem pai m,ot 私の家のソファーは猫にひっかかれて傷だらけになっている。 The sofa in my house has scratched by the cat, and it is full of scars.

โดน...~ doo(+)n …に~される(口語) I have ~ done by …. (spoken language)

โซฟา soo(+)faa 長椅子 Sofa

ข่วน kh,uan 引っかく scratch

รอย roo(a)i รอย 傷跡 Scar

เต็ม tem 満員 be filled with/ be full of

ไป pai เกินไป ~過ぎる excessive

หมด m,ot ทั้งหมด すっかり、全部 Completely, all

ให้...~ h>ai …に~させる let… do ~

* ผมอยากให้คุณมาร่วมงานนี้ ph<om y,aak h>ai khun maa r>uam ngaan n'ii 私はあなたにこのパーティーに参加してもらいたい。 I want you to participate in the party.

ให้...~ h>ai …に~させる let… do ~

อยาก y,aak ~したい want to ~

ร่วม r>uam ทำด้วยกัน 共にする It is shared.

งาน ngaan ปาร์ตี้ パーティー Party

อาจ(จะ)~ ?,aat (c,a?) ~かもしれない may be ~.

* คุณสมชายอาจจะได้ตำแหน่งรองผู้จัดการก็ได้ khun s<omchaai ?,aat c,a? d>ai tamn,ee(a)ng roo(a)ng ph>uu c,at kaan k>oo(a) d>ai ソムチャーイさんは副社長の地位につくかもしれない。 Mr. Somchai may be the executive vice president's position.

อาจ(จะ)~ ?,aat (c,a?) ~かもしれない may be ~.

ตำแหน่ง tam n,ee(a)ng 地位、職位 Position, position in the job

รอง roo(a)ng (ตำแหน่ง) 副~ Vice-~

ผู้จัดการ ph>uu c,at kaan 支配人 Manager

คง(จะ)~ khong (c,a?) きっと~だろう will ~ certainly.

* ปีนี้หิมะคงจะ ไม่ตกแน่ ๆ pii n'ii h,im'a? khong c,a? t,ok n>ee(a) n>ee(a) 今年は雪はきっと降らないだろう。 It won't snow certainly this year.

คง(จะ)~ khong (c,a?) きっと~だろう will ~ certainly.

แน่ n>ee(a) ไม่ผิดพลาด 確かに、きっと、間違いなく certainly/certainly/of a certain

กรุณา~ karunaa どうか~してください Do ~, please.

* กรุณาพูดอีกครั้ง karunaa ph>uut ?,iik khr'ang どうかもう一度言ってください。 Say it again, please.

กรุณา~ karunaa どうか~してください Do ~, please.

อยาก~ y,aak ~したい want to do ~

* อยากไปเที่ยวอเมริกาสักครั้ง y,aak pai th>iao aamee(i)rikaa s,ak khr'ang 一度はアメリカへ遊びに行ってみたい。 I want to go to America for pleasure once.

อยาก~ y,aak ~したい want to do ~

สัก s,ak ราว,ประมาณ 約、およそ、~ぐらい around, about, as much as ~

ครั้ง khr'ang 回、度 Time, occasion

ไม่ยอม~ m>ai yoo(a)m ~しようとしない not to try to do~

* เขาอายุสามสิบแล้ว ยังไม่ยอมแต่งงาน kh<ao ?aay'u? s<aam s,ip l'ee(a)o yang m>ai yoo(a)m t,ee(a)ng ngaan 彼女はもう30なのにまだ結婚しようとしない。 She has already been 30 years old but she doesn't like to get married yet.

ไม่ยอม~ m>ai yoo(a)m ~しようとしない not to try to do~

แต่งงาน t,ee(a)ng ngaan 結婚する get marry

Khun David:

Re: Consonants and vowels in Thai vs. in Japanese.

I think the other member of Thailand Forum may interest this topic so I post this today.

There are 44 consonants (2 in the 44 consonants are not used currently) in Thai language whereas there are 41 consonants in Japanese language.

There are 38 vowels (including diphthongs, triple diphthongs) in Thai language whereas there are only 5 vowels (excluding diphthongs, triple diphthongs) in Japanese language.

In the vowels in Thai and Japanese, the almost same phonetic sounds are occupied only by a (short), aa (long), i (short) and ii (long). So it can be said that vowels in Thai and vowels in Japanese are completely different from each other.

For the consonants in Thai and Japanese, please refer to the list of consonants in Thai.

In the list, no. 5,34 and 41 don’t have the same phonetic sound as in Japanese language.

For more details for consonants and vowels in Thai:

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/thai_dic.htm

For more details for Japanese language:

http://www.geocities.jp/srachai2000/hiragana.htm

Practice of the day (15 July 2007)

คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับงานอดิเรก kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap ngaan ?a di r,ee(i)k 趣味に関する言葉 words related to hobby

งานอดิเรก ngan ?adi r,ee(i)k 趣味 hobby

ตกปลา t,o(+)k plaa 釣りをする Fishing

อ่านหนังสือ ?,aan n'ang s<uu(i) 読書をする Reading books

เรียนภาษาต่างประเทศ rian phaasaa t,aang prath>ee(i)t 外国語を勉強する study foreign languages

สะสมของเก่า s,a s<o(+)m kh<oo(a)ng k,ao(+) 骨董品を集める collection of curios, antiques

สะสมแสตมป์ s,a s<o(+)m satee(a)m 切手を集める collection of stamps

สะสมเหรียญ s,a s<o(+)m r<ian コインを集める collection of coins

เดินเล่น daa(*)n l>e(i)n 散歩をする going for a walk

ปลูกดอกไม้ pl,uu(+)k d,oo(a)k m'aai 花を栽培する growing flowers

ร้องเพลง r'oo(a)ng phlee(i)ng 歌を歌う singing songs

เต้นรำ t>e(i)n ram 踊りを踊る dancing

ถ่ายรูป th,aai r>uu(+)p 写真を撮る taking photos

วาดรูป w>aat t >uu(+)p 絵を描く drawing pictures

เล่นไพ่ l>e(i)n ph>ai トランプをする playing cards

เล่นกีตาร์ l>e(i)n kii t>aa ギターを弾く playing guitar

เล่นเปียโน l>e(i)n pianoo(+) ピアノを弾く play piano

เครื่องดนตรี khr>u(i)ang do(+)ntrii 楽器 Musical instrument

ดูหนัง duu(+) n<ang 映画を見る watch a movies

ซื้อล็อตเตอรี่ s'uu(i) l'o(a)t taa(*) r>ii 宝くじを買う buy lottery

ดิสโก้ d'it sa k>oo(+) ディスコ Disco

สวนสนุก s<u(+)an san,u(+)k 遊園地 Amusement park

ประโยคที่ใช้คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับงานอดิเรก pray>oo(+)t th>ii ch'ai kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap ngaan ?adir,ee(i)k 趣味に関する言葉を使った文章 sentence using words related to art (arts)

งานอดิเรกของคุณอะไรนะครับ ngan ?adi r,ee(i)k kh<oo(a)ng khu(+)n ?arai na? khr'ap あなたの趣味は何ですか? What is your hobby?

เล่นกีตาร์ครับ l>e(i)n kii t>aa khr'ap ギターを弾くことです。 Playing a guitar.

Practice of the day (16 July 2007)

คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับโลกและเชื้อชาติ kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap l>oo(+)k l'e(a)? ch'u(i)a ch>aat 世界と民族に関する言葉 words related to world and nations

โลก l>oo(+)k 世界 The world

เชื้อชาติ, เผ่าพันธุ์ ch'u(i)a ch>aat, ph,ao(+) phan 民族 Race/nation/nations

สิ่งแวดล้อม s,ing w>ee(a)t l'oo(a)m 環境 Environment

วัฒนธรรม w'at ta n'a tham 文化 Culture

ความคิดเห็น khwaam kh'it h<e(i)n 思想 Idea / thought

ประวัติศาสตร์ pra w,at thi s,aat 歴史 History

ศีลธรรม s<iin la tham 道徳 Morality / moral

ขนบธรรมเนียม,ประเพณี khan,o(+)p thamniam, praphee(i)nii 習慣 Habit / custom

สันติภาพ s<an t,i ph>aap 平和 Peace

สงคราม s<o(+)ng khraam 戦争 War

ปรมาณู paramaanuu(+) 核 Nucleus / nuclear

อีสรภาพ ?,it sa ra ph>aap 自由 Freedom

ความเสมอภาพ khwaam samaa(*) phaap 平等 Equality

การแบ่งชั้น kaan b,e(a)ng ch'an 差別 Discrimination

เลือกที่รักมักที่ชัง l>u(i)ak th>ii r'ak m'ak th>ii chang 差別 Discrimination

ผู้อพยพ ph>uu(+) ?,o(+)p pha y'o(+)p 難民 Refugee

ประเทศที่เจริญแล้ว prath>ee(i)t th>ii caraa(*)n l'ee(a)o(+) 先進国 advanced country

ประเทศที่กำลังพัฒนา prath>ee(i)t th>ii kamlang ph'at ta naa 発展途上国 Developing country

อาสาสมัคร ?aas<aa sam,ak ボランティア Volunteer

ความสัมพันธ์ระหว่างประเทศ khwaam s<amphan raw,aang prath>ee(i)t 国際交流 international exchange

ช่วยเหลือ ch>u(+)ai l<u(i)a 援助する help / give assistance

องค์การสหประชาชาติ ?o(+)ng kaan sa h,a prachaa ch>aat 国連 The United Nations

สถอ่านทูต sath<aan th>uu(+)t 大使館 Embassy

ข่าวสาร kh,aao(+) s<aan 報道 news

สื่อสารมวลชน s,uu(i) s<aan mu(+)ang cho(+)n マスコミ Mass communication

ประโยคที่ใช้คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับโลกและเชื้อชาติ pray>oo(+)t th>ii ch'ai kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap l>oo(+)k l'e(a)? ch'u(i)a ch>aat 世界と民族に関する言葉を使った文章 sentence using words related to world and nationas

(not yet created sorry) Does anybody help me in creating sentences?

Practice of the day (17 July 2007)

คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับภาษา kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap phaa s<aa 言語に関する言葉 words related to language

ภาษา phaa s<aa ことば language

ภาษาไทย phaa s<aa thai タイ語 Thai

ภาษาเขมร phaa s<aa kham<ee(i)n クメール語 Khmer language

ภาษาอังกฤษ phaa s<aa angkr,it 英語 English language

ภาษาญี่ปุ่น phaa s<aa y>iip,u(+)n 日本語 Japanese language

ภาษาต่างประเทศ phaa s<aa t,aang prath>ee(i)t 外国語 Foreign language

ภาษากลาง phaa s<aa klaang 標準語 Standard language

ภาษาท้องถิ่น phaa s<aa th'oo(a)ng th,in 方言 Dialect

ราชาศัพท์ raa chaa s,ap 王族用語 Royalty term

ตัวอักษร tu(+)a ?,ak s<oo(a)n 文字 Character / script

เขียนบรรจง kh<ian bancong 楷書 The square style / in block style

เขียนหวัด kh<ing w,at 筆記体 Taking notes style / in handwriting

คำศัพท์ kham s,ap 単語 Word / words

การออกเสียง kaan ?,oo(a)k s<ing 発音 Pronunciation

สระ sar,a 母音 Vowel

พยัญชนะ phayanchan'a 子音 Consonant

วรรณยุกต์ wan na y'u(+)k 声調 tone / tones

พยางค์ phayaang 音節 Syllable

ไวยากรณ์ wai yaa koo(a)n 文法 Grammar

ประโยค pra y,oo(+)k 文章 Sentence

ความหมาย khwaam m<aai 意味 Meaning

การสนทนา kaan s<o(+)n tha naa 会話 Conversation

เป็นล่าม pe(i)n l>aam 通訳する translate

แปล plee(a) 翻訳する provide interpretation

พจนานุกรม ph'o(+)t ca naa n'u(+)k ro(+)m 辞書 Dictionary

ประโยคที่ใช้คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับภาษา pray>oo(+)t th>ii ch'ai kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap phaas<aa ことばに関する言葉を使った文章 sentence using words related to language

Practice of the day (18 July 2007)

คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับอุตสาหกรรม kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap ?,u(+)t s<aa h,a kam 産業に関する言葉 words related to industry

เกษตรกรรม kas,ee(i)t tra kam 農業 Agriculture

ประมง pramong 漁業 fishery

ป่าไม้ p,aa m'aai 林業 Forestry

อุตสาหกรรม ?,ut s<aa h,a kam 工業 Industry

เหมืองแร่ m<u(i)ang r>ee(a) 鉱業 mining industry

การบริการ kaan boo(a)rikaan サービス業 Service industry

การค้าขายต่างประเทศ kaan kh'aa kh<aai t,aang prath>ee(i)t 貿易 Trade

ทรัพยากร s'ap pha yaa koo(a)n 資源 Resources

น้ำมัน n'am man 石油 Petroleum

พลังงานปรมาณู phlang ngaan paramaanuu(+) 原子力 Atomic energy

พลังงาน phlang ngaan paramaanuu(+) エネルギー Energy

วัตถุดิบ w'at th,u(+) d,ip 原料 Raw material

เทคโนโลยี่ t'e(i)k nolo y>ii 技術 Technology

ประสบการณ์ pra s,o(+)p kaan 経験 Experience

บุคคล,คน b,u(+)k khon, khon 人材 Talented people

เครื่องจักร khr>u(i)ang c,ak 機械 Machine

ผลิตภัณฑ์ pha l,it ta phan 製品 Product

ควบคุมคุณภาพ kh>u(+)ap khum khu(+)n ph>aap 品質管理 Quality control

กิจการ,บริษัท k,it ca kaan, boo(+)r'i s,at 企業 Enterprise

การแบ่งงาน kaan b,e(a)ng ngaan 分業 Division in industry

จัดให้สมเหตุสมผล c,at h>ai s<o(+)m h,ee(i)t s<o(+)m ph<o(+)n 合理化 Rationalization

ออโตเมชั่น ?oo(a) too mee(i) ch>an オートメーション Automation

ผลิต phal,it 生産する produce

ก้าวหน้า k>aao(+) n>aa 進歩する improve

พัฒนา ph'at ta naa 発展する develop

ประโยคที่ใช้คำศัพท์เกี่ยวกับอุตสาหกรรม pray>oo(+)t th>ii ch'ai kham s,ap k,iao(+) k,ap ?,u(+)t s<aa h,a kam 産業に関する言葉を使った文章 sentence using words related to industry

1. การค้าขายต่างประเทศ: is this term more properly translated as "international trade"?

2. I think เทคโนโลยี is generally spelled without the final "mai eek"

3. การแบ่งงาน: Is this more properly translated in economic terms as "division of labor"?

4. As for sample sentences, one can do well by reference to Lexitron. For example see: "ผลิตภัณฑ์"

ในปัจจุบันพลาสติกทำจากผลิตภัณฑ์ปิโตรเลียมและถ่านหินเป็นส่วนใหญ่

"Nowadays, plastic is mostly made from petroleum and coal-based products."

Here is the example for พลังงาน

เกลือแร่เป็นสารอาหารที่ให้พลังงานแก่ร่างกาย

Minerals are food substances which give our bodies energy.

Good luch with your continuing project.

Khun David:

Thank you very much for your assistance.

In the Japanese word, 貿易 (trading) stands for international trading but I presume it is not same in the other countries, so it is better to describe as International trade.

With mai-eek เทคโนโลยี่ is the correct spelling. I mistyped it.

It comes from the Japanese word 分業 (direct translation form the Japanese word). Sorry I haven’t checked Thai-Eng dictionary yet. (division of labor)

4. Thank you very much for the sentences (two sentences). It is very useful to me.

Thank you.

Khun David:

I tried to send you a private message several times but the system is not connected to the site. (problem of the system?) Therefore I will post this message in the Forum.

My father passed away about 15 yeas ago. He was a Japanese soldier assigned to the southern part of China. He was very lucky to be able to come back Japan without any injury, so I was born.

In you letter “the Greater East Asia Prosperity Sphere” is大東亜共栄圏 (dai too wa kyoo ei ken).According to the information from our great grand mother, there were many Japanese soldiers at that time in Chaiyaphum also. I have no idea for any words, which are residual from the many Japanese soldiers living in Thailand except “Kobori-san” who is the Japanese soldier married Thai woman and had a daughter.

Regards

Edited by srachai

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all:

Recently I started the Blog of myself in Japanese, English and Thai simultaneously.

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/kiyoshimatforgoo/

Some descriptions regarding Siifaa-chan at the present time (current information) shown below are extracted from the Blog.

Thank you.

03Aug2007 Khonkaen Ram Hospital (in English)

Siifaa-chan had had a slight fever yesterday and it hadn’t recovered yet, so in the afternoon yesterday we consulted a doctor at the Khonkaen Ram Hospital. According to the diagnosis by the doctor, it might be a simple cold. It was not serious and we’d got medicine at the hospital. The doctor told us that if the fever would continue, we’d better to consult a doctor again. In the evening yesterday, Siifaa-chan had still been crying due to the unpleasant condition. The father also had come to be very tired and slept himself by the bed of Siifaa-chan. In the midnight, Siifaa-chan had a bowel movement very much and then recovered herself totally, showing nice smiling face of Siifaa-chan again as usual. Thanks a lot to the mother of Siifaa-chan. I’ve understood that emotional strength of the mother is stronger than that one of the father. This morning, the father reflects on the weak and fragile emotional strength of the father to restart the new day

kiyoshi matsui from khonkaen, thailand

04Aug2007 Siifaa-chan bites a nipple of mother (in English)

Siifaa-chan bit a nipple of the mother

As for Siifaa-chan, there was no fever at all yesterday due to the effect of medicine from the hospital.

Siifaa-chan is in good condition all the daylong yesterday until now.

This morning after having bowel movement, Siifaa-chan is hungry, crying to seek the mother’s milk.

At the moment, the mother is in the home type steam bath unit so the timing of breast-feeding delays a little bit.

Siifaa-chan bites a nipple of the mother when the mother breast-feeds her daughter.

The mother said that this short-tempered character of Siifaa-chan is just the same as the Father’s.

The father is sorry to hear that.

05Aug2007 Baby’s burp (in English)

Baby’s burp (belch)

Siifaa-chan is being breast-fed by the mother for every 3 hours or so.

After each breast-feeding, we have to make Siifaa-chan’s body straight up for burp, is also a kind of difficult.

We stroke and pat gently on the back of Siifaa-chan for burp, it seems to be difficult for Siifaa-chan to burp.

Although we would like Siifaa-chan to burp, sometimes Siifaa-chan is breaking wind instead of burp.

This scenery of my home also shows the happy time of our family.

06Aug2007 Rainy season (in English)

Rainy days

It seems to be in rainy season after the day of Buddhist lent.

My wife went to see the doctor at Khonkaen Ram Hospital for medical check after the delivery of the baby.

No abnormal symptom has been observed, which has made the father relieved. According to the doctor’s diagnosis, recovery after the delivery is good, which has made the father comfortable. As for Siifaa-chan, she also totally has recovered from the cold and been cheerful. The father is relieved too. Kai-chan was playing with the girls nearby until the sunset. It is good scenery of my home. There is nothing to be worried about.

The fresh week has started from today. Father also has to be tighten himself to overcome the week.

07Aug2007 Kai-chan runs fever (カイちゃん熱を出す)(in English)

Kai-chan runs fever in the midnight

Last night, father drank whiskey together with 2 placemen living next door. Father has a hangover a little bit this morning.

The birth registration for Siifaa-chan in Japan has to be done within 3 months after the delivery at the embassy of Japan in Bangkok. I have to visit the Embassy of Japan as soon as possible once for the registration.

In the midnight, Kai-chan runs fever and my wife wipes the body of Kai-chan to reduce the temperature all over the night.

This morning, I’ve got to go see a doctor at the hospital for Kai-chan.

As for Siifaa-chan, she is ok, very healthy no problem is observed. She is sleeping peacefully on the bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all:

It will be much obliged if you could give me any correction / suggestion with regard to Thai sentences in the posting.

Thank you.

5:58 2007/08/16

16Aug2007 Family consults the doctor. (in Japanese)

今日は家族全員でコーンケーンラム病院に出かける。

妻は虫垂炎の手術後一週間目の検診。

カイちゃんは肺炎で退院後4日目の検診。

シーファーちゃんは肝炎の第三回目のワクチンの摂取。

16Aug2007 Family consults the doctor. (in English)

Today, we have to go see the doctor at Khonkaen Ram Hospital in KKC.

My wife will have a medical examination after one week from the operation of appendicitis.

Kai-chan will have a medical examination after 4 days from leaving the hospital due to pneumonia.

Siifaa-chan will be vaccinated against hepatitis for the third time.

16Aug2007 Family consults the doctor. (in Thai)

วันนี้เราทั้งครอบครัวต้องไปโรงพยาบาลขอนแก่นราม

ภรรยาผมต้องตรวจเกี่ยวกับการผ่าของไส้ตันอักเสบที่มีหนึ่งอาทิตย์ก่อน

ไก่จังต้องตรวจเกี่ยวกับปอดบวมสี่วันจากการออกจากโรงพยาบาล

สีฟ้าจังต้องได้วัคซีนที่สามของตับอักเสบ