Solved Slow Internet Connection

ronz28

Finally found a solution to a problem I have had for a week now despite numerous calls to tech support, etc. that may help others with a slow internet connection speed. After trying many fixes suggested by my ISP, Youtube videos and other sources on the internet, I finally found the one fix that changed my speedtest.net results from 1 MBS to 20+ MBS.... more than promised. Here is a link to the instructions I followed.

http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/comp/winnt/faq/networking/nic_speed.htm

Basically it involves a simple but well hidden setting that reconfigures one item relating to your computer's network interface card from whatever it is set at to..... Auto Detect. Mine had been set at 10MBS full duplex and I was consistently only getting less than 1 MBS when promised 10+MBS. Now, with that one little change to auto detect, regardless of browser, I get over 20 MBS. Might be worth looking into if you are having connection problems. Mine had a dozen options in drop down menus like the one shown in the link, but it was called link so I just checked the drop down menus until I saw the one that said 10 MBS or whatever speed, full duplex, half duplex, and auto detect. just selected the one that says auto detect.

Try it and if I doesn't help you just change it back to where it was or leave it on auto detect...up to you.

Your NIC setting is between ur pc and the router/switch communication. Just by changing that will not affect your ISP bandwidth allocation to you. If you'r saying you'r hitting between 1 to 10Mbps before the change and after change, it went over 10Mbps, it is logical.

I am just trying to explain, nothing against you

That link leads to instructions for changing the NIC (Network Interface Controller) speed settings. It will have ZERO effect upon your internet speed unless you have FTH or high speed cable.

What speed is your ISP promising on your link?

Right, I could connect another computer to that same router wirelessly or wired and get the 20+ MBS but the one desktop I like to use all the time had the problem setting.

I'm assuming the desktop you mentioned was hooked to the router via an ethernet cable and the 10Mb setting restricted speed between the computer's NIC and router to a max of 10Mb...and somehow that 10Mb was being knocked down even further and would have limited the internet flow between your modem/rouer and your desktop. With it being set to Auto it's probably connecting to the router at 100Mb now....and in turn your modem/router is allowing the full speed of your internet connection to flow through.

Since you mentioned you are now getting 20Mb I assuming you are on at least a 20Mb internet plan and was testing to a Bangkok speedtest server, right? If you were getting 20Mb to a US/Europe server you are getting a bogus Speedtest.net result.

Right, I could connect another computer to that same router wirelessly or wired and get the 20+ MBS but the one desktop I like to use all the time had the problem setting.

I'm assuming the desktop you mentioned was hooked to the router via an ethernet cable and the 10Mb setting restricted speed between the computer's NIC and router to a max of 10Mb...and somehow that 10Mb was being knocked down even further and would have limited the internet flow between your modem/rouer and your desktop. With it being set to Auto it's probably connecting to the router at 100Mb now....and in turn your modem/router is allowing the full speed of your internet connection to flow through.

Since you mentioned you are now getting 20Mb I assuming you are on at least a 20Mb internet plan and was testing to a Bangkok speedtest server, right? If you were getting 20Mb to a US/Europe server you are getting a bogus Speedtest.net result.

I am in the US and switched to a cable company that advertised speeds of 10 to 15 MBS for the package I selected. I was usually getting 5-6 MBS with my former ISP. The new ISP tech couldn't figure it out after he set up the internet service because his laptop could get about 20 MBS from that connection so it was my computer that was a problem. Yes, my desktop only has an ethernet cable connection so I was getting the less than 1 MBS either through the router or with the router bypassed. My new ISP left me with no instruction sheet etc.for things to check just a reference to their website which wasn't helpful with the problem.

I no longer have the URL for the specific website that recommended to reconfigure to auto detect but it didn't show how to do it so I found the how to on the website I previously posted. With Google I found the same recommendation with instructions at http://www.ehow.com/how_6147493_increase-ethernet-connection-speed.html

I don't have a computer networking background. Just a long time computer user so I don't know why this problem was happening, but I guess there was a mismatch between my Network Interface card and my ISP that was resolved when I changed the configuration of the network interface card to auto detect and let the ISP take over.

Being a network manager with hundreds of installs I've never seen an NIC driver that didn't default to Auto-Detect so it would seem it had been manually changed somewhere along the line. Possibly some unusual network application, such as a packet sniffer might do it, but not likely.

I have had to switch it manually to 10Mbps when we upgraded our switches from 10 to 100 Mpbs to trouble shoot incorrectly built UTP cables but that was years ago.

I may have set it to 10 MBS full duplex years ago and just forgot about doing it or some other install did it but my computer worked fine for the ISP I have had for last several years= ATT/DSL. However, the setting was conflicting with something after I switched to my new/current cable internet connection with Time Warner on Sep 13 2011 and after numerous calls to TWC tech support no one ever advised me to check that setting. Perhaps it is a very unusual problem if TWC service reps didn't think of it but that ehow link I previously posted indicates to me that other people have had the problem.

Had perfect internet and phone service for a few days but now I have a new problem, total loss of internet service yesterday. Calls to tech support and they tell me to reset the cable modem box by unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it in- which didn't work.

I have learned how to reset my Cisco/Scientific Atlanta made Calendar Year 2006 made in China cable modem box (4th replacement now since 9/13/2011- they claim they don't have any new ones) and get the full internet and phone service back for awhile but then it quits altogether again. I recalled it has a battery so tried unplugging it again with the battery and the cable disconnected from the cable modem box and that worked.

So now I get screaming fast internet or no internet/phone service at all at times. I asked a couple of the tech reps over the phone- is someone unplugging me from a good server and then plugging me into a bad/overloaded one? They claim their system doesn't work that way and no one is doing that. What is going on? My HDTV service is on the same cable and is fine and not degraded when the internet and phone service go out. Any ideas?

I may have to switch back to DSL if I can't get 100% internet and phone service as this 70/20 stuff is not for me. I have spent way too many hours on my cell phone with their tech support wasting my time.

Had perfect internet and phone service for a few days but now I have a new problem, total loss of internet service yesterday. Calls to tech support and they tell me to reset the cable modem box by unplugging it for a few minutes and plugging it in- which didn't work.

I have learned how to reset my Cisco/Scientific Atlanta made Calendar Year 2006 made in China cable modem box (4th replacement now since 9/13/2011- they claim they don't have any new ones) and get the full internet and phone service back for awhile but then it quits altogether again. I recalled it has a battery so tried unplugging it again with the battery and the cable disconnected from the cable modem box and that worked.

So now I get screaming fast internet or no internet/phone service at all at times. I asked a couple of the tech reps over the phone- is someone unplugging me from a good server and then plugging me into a bad/overloaded one? They claim their system doesn't work that way and no one is doing that. What is going on? My HDTV service is on the same cable and is fine and not degraded when the internet and phone service go out. Any ideas?

I may have to switch back to DSL if I can't get 100% internet and phone service as this 70/20 stuff is not for me. I have spent way too many hours on my cell phone with their tech support wasting my time.

from ronz28, post# 6: I am in the US and switched to a cable company that advertised speeds of 10 to 15 MBS for the package I selected. I was usually getting 5-6 MBS with my former ISP. The new ISP tech couldn't figure it out after he set up the internet service because his laptop could get about 20 MBS from that connection so it was my computer that was a problem.

Just goes to shows some U.S. ISPs may not be any better than some Thai ISPs. Good luck with your U.S. ISP.

Thanks, Third TWC tech rep just left and everything appears to be perfect now but we shall see. He found one new but defective cable provided two weeks ago in the original internet installation connecting the signal to the cable modem that was generating errors. He examined the end of the coax cable and said it was recessed a little too far and not crimped correctly so he cut off that end and installed a new connector on the cable and again tested it with his equipment and there are no errors now. He monitored the modem with his laptop for about thirty minutes and found no more errors being generated. It surprised me that a simple coax cable that appeared good to me and the previous technicians, but when tested with appropriate equipment and examined with an eye for the slightest defect can be so bad as to generate such errors and cut off my internet.

I also had one HDTV that wasn't receiving some channels that required two way communication between the cable box for that HDTV and their equipment and again it was a coaxial cable problem that he identified with his equipment and repaired like the other one by cutting off the end and installing a new connector. Actually two cables on this circuit had a problem one directly feeding the cable box from the wall plate and the other was the other end of the cable from that part of the circuit that exits the house to the outside connection with the cable coming from the ground. Wish I had some sort of meter that would identify this problem so I could buy or fix that cheap defective cable connector as he did so I could save the time and hassle.

Well a manager, supervisor and tech for TWC came out to resolve my internet/digital problems today after I escalated my complaints. Primary culprits were at the tap that leads to my house. They found:

1. more bad connectors at the tap with crimp on connectors rather than compression type that grip 360 degrees around coax cable and don't cut into the cable,
  2. an analog trap to block Cinemax useless for over ten years but degrades digital signals and had no business in a digital line.
  3. The main cable feeding the signal to my home was scoured (cut/gouged) and corroded. Tech said that gathers radio waves and injects interference into the line.
  4. They also found some push on cables on one of my TVs that are a path for distortion/interference into the system. So if you have any of those push on cables change to the screw on types to improve reception.. Now everything is working again and hopefully I will have no more updates on my quest for high speed internet and digital phone service.