New Hosting Read more... ×
BANGKOK 21 January 2019 11:09
RamdomChances

Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

Thank you for posting this bannork. Here is the sample sentence from Longdo:

"เขาเดินไม่ดูตาม้าตาเรือเลยถูกรถชน"
He was walking without paying attention [to where he was going] so he was hit by a car.

From Matichon Weekly:

"เราควรมีน้ำใจต่อน้องหนูและต่อยายแก่ที่กำลังข้ามถนนโดยไม่ดูตาม้าตาเรือ"

We should have concern for our young children and for our elderly citizens who cross the street without exercising caution.   

Thanks again.

• Like 1

I got a new idiom courtesy of Thai Visa today and its story about a car supposedly driven blindly out of a soi which then collided with a motorbike on the main road.
The story came from Sanook.com and the headline was as follows-
ฝรั่งไม่ดูตาม้าตาเรือ-ควบเก๋งหรูออกจากซอยเสย จยย.ล้มกลิ้ง-หามหนุ่มใหญ่ส่ง รพ.
The idiom that caught my eye was ดูตาม้าตาเรือ which means watch the knight and bishop (as in chess).
The phrase is usually negative as in above  ไม่ดูตาม้าตาเรือ- for inexperienced players the knight may make moves one doesn't anticipate, so the whole phrase in the negative form means to be careless, inattentive, a trait many drivers are guilty of.
Of further interest was the word เสย which I've been told means bends, curls or flies upward.
The TV headline says, A western driver who they said blindly came out of an intersection and hit a Thai man on a motorcycle.
We often say, 'the driver came flying around the corner' meaning at excessive speed and perhaps out of control.
Below is an example of เสย where the driver loses control by having an epileptic fit and 'flies' into the bus stop. Luckily no one was there!

[/url]  

I agree with you, You have used ‘flying’ for the verb I notice but do you know if รถเก๋งหรู is common? After “Inattentive farang” รถเก๋งหรู could be taken as criticism. To make people who can’t afford รถหรู one might say the bigger the car the bigger the idiot driving it. Could this be what this report is saying?
เอาหมัดเสยคาง deliver un uppercut to the jaw.
ช้างเสยงา elephant with swept up tusks. ?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

I guess that there are books which explain เสย as containing the vowel เอย . That is not conventional and it never occurred to me because I learnt เลย by rote. I may have forgotten something but I think that both เลย and เสย can not be explained using Thai orthography.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect