Colonoscopy In Bangkok; How Much And Where?

rideswings

I've learned that there is a reception/appointment-maling place on the 13th floor of the main clinic building for the Chula night clinic (clinic nawk wela). Mostly staffed just weekdays, you can go in to schedule an appointment during the day or the evening (the appointment itself will be from 4 PM onward). Thai speaking is necessary to navigate the system, but if yo uhave that, it may be a good way to access some of the excellent doctors at Chula and/or to get procedures like colonoscopy done at very reasonable cost.

I also had the 12,500 baht promotion at Bkk Hospital Pattaya...i was asleep the whole time and woke up feeling very rested. Dr. went over the results looking at a dvd and I was out. The night before with the laxative I had to drink was a bit startling at times but for sure I was clean when I went in for the procedure

Why is it so big price difference between the private hospitals for this procedure?

From 5000 to 30000 baht , it sounds like a rip-off to me .

They think farangs are so rich they can ask any price ? :angry:

Edited by balo

• 3 months later...

If one has the sense of humour and the presence of mind, you can try playing a tune with that air when you wake up. "Shave and a HairCut Two Bits" and I browned the sheets, Be Careful as might be some liquid left~!

You're worrying too much, matey. I was recovered and out of the hospital by early afternoon, functioning perfectly,albeit a lot lighter, and even drove myself home. Probably the only thing I did notice was some unpleasant wind in my gut when I did eat later that day, and some tremendous farts. I also remember the feeling after the colonoscopy, as the sedative made me feel very 'nice', for want of a better word.

Why is it so big price difference between the private hospitals for this procedure?

From 5000 to 30000 baht , it sounds like a rip-off to me .

They think farangs are so rich they can ask any price ? :angry:

Hmmm, why does a room at the Oriental cost more than a room at 13 Coins?

Not sure about all private hospitals, but I know Bangkok Hospital generally charges the same for Thais as non-Thails.

• 5 months later...

I just did one today at Bangkok Adventist Hospital. They had a promo on for 15000 baht so I went for it. Very easy. Went in on Tuesday and got some laxitives. Went back on Thursday for the procedure. Layed down they shot something into the IV and next thing I knew my wife was asking me am I ok. I thought I was still waiting on the doctor. He removed 3 polyups and will let me know next week what they were. All good there and spent less than 20000 baht so it was way cheaper than trying it in the US even with the insurance. I will turn it in to Blue Cross Blue Shield anyway and see how much they will give me back.. Hope this helps. The promotion runs thru December 2012 and includes a whole lot of other stuff toopost-58709-0-59142900-1340282411_thumb.jpost-58709-0-89556000-1340282479_thumb.j

Actually that is not inexpensive by Bkk hospital standards. My main objection to that hospital is that they charge so much more than the other non-profits (and more than mid-sized private hospitals). My sister's colonoscopy cost 12,000 plus a few thousand for the biopsies -- at St Louis and that was their regular price, not promotion.

The main plus to this hospital IMO -- and it is a big one -- is that it is one of the few places that has Western docs on staff. I had a gastroscopy done there about 2 weeks back. Paid more than I should have for it but the doc was American and it was great to be able to have a straight, to the point, discussion with him, both before ,after and then by email subsequently.

It is a small hospital so the range of specialties is limited but for most non-esoteric things it is fine.

Thanks for the information about St Louis , didnt know they had western doctors.

I don't understand why some hospitals recommends general anesthesia , this procedure is not very painful . A local anesthesia and you are out of the hospital in 3 hours.

Every time you take a general anesthesia you risk losing some of your brain cells.

From an American study :

"It has also been suggested that one of the possible dangers of anesthesia might be risky to the brain of healthy adults. Could anesthesia cause brain damage significant enough to affect memory, or to hasten conditions like Alzheimer’s disease? These are questions that have yet to be proven, and there are no statistics which can ultimately assess risk. Again, benefits of surgery generally outweigh the possible dangers of anesthesia. "

Thanks for the information about St Louis , didnt know they had western doctors.

I don't understand why some hospitals recommends general anesthesia , this procedure is not very painful . A local anesthesia and you are out of the hospital in 3 hours.

Every time you take a general anesthesia you risk losing some of your brain cells.

From an American study :

"It has also been suggested that one of the possible dangers of anesthesia might be risky to the brain of healthy adults. Could anesthesia cause brain damage significant enough to affect memory, or to hasten conditions like Alzheimer’s disease? These are questions that have yet to be proven, and there are no statistics which can ultimately assess risk. Again, benefits of surgery generally outweigh the possible dangers of anesthesia. "

It's Mission Hosp that has some Western docs, not St Louis

And I think you may be confusing general anesthesia with IV sedation. There is no such thing as a colonoscopy under local anesthesia, the area involved is much too large and internal for local nerve blocking.

The main plus to this hospital IMO -- and it is a big one -- is that it is one of the few places that has Western docs on staff. I had a gastroscopy done there about 2 weeks back. Paid more than I should have for it but the doc was American and it was great to be able to have a straight, to the point, discussion with him, both before ,after and then by email subsequently.

Sheryl, Dr. Nick Walters, the American licensed MD at Mission Hospital, seems to me to be a very good GP. But as far as I know, he doesn't do colonoscopies. When I asked him about that procedure sometime back, he was going to refer me to another doctor there at Mission, one of several in their Gastro department. Frankly, I wish he did do that procedure, since I'd feel assured if he was the doctor involved.

Dr. Grover Harpeet, also American, does them. I had gastroscopy with him just 2 weeks back. he is a general surgeon trained in endoscopic procedures so I assume would do the colonoscopy as well. Very nice man and good communicator.

BPH in Pattaya a few months ago, both orifices ( mouth and rear). the worst part was the meds before, as I wasnt sure I would ever get off the loo at home and make it all the way to the hosptial. once there, it was a breeze. knocked out and woke up with no pain no feeling of violation even!! ( and this was my first). from waking up, I was out within an hour and felt great.

cant comment on price as the insurance paid. No overnight needed BUT many hispitals will overnight you so that you are an in patient.. especially if you dont have outpatient cover on your insurance!

Have a look at Bangkok Christian Hospital, I had a look at them a while ago, if memory serves right, it is about 18,000 Baht plus the cost of polyps that are removed. If you go on to thier website it has contact information, they have english speaking staff and doctors to answer your questions.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App