Four Thai Researchers Get L'Oreal's Nod 'For Women In Science' Awards

webfact

WOMEN TALENT

Female formulas for success

By Kupluthai Pungkanon

The Nation

30165692-01.jpg

Four inspiring Thai researchers get the nod from L'Oreal's 'For Women in Science' awards

Four female scientists have been recognised by L'Oreal Thailand's annual "For Women in Science" fellowship programme for impressive studies that will benefit Thailand.

The award's Life Science category went to Thai researchers Dr Natini Jinawath (genetic diseases) and Dr Saengchan Senapin (shrimp biology), while the Material Science category was won by Dr Uracha Ruktanonchai (nanotechnology for encapsulation) and Dr Hathaikarn Manuspiya (mesoporous packaging).

L'Oreal Thailand, supported by the Thai National Commission for Unesco, has so far awarded 35 fellowships worth Bt200,000 each for female scientists aged between 25 and 40.

The presentation ceremony two weeks ago was distinguished by the presence of Professor Ada E Yonath, the 2009 Nobel Prize winner in chemistry.

Natini, from Mahidol University's Ramathibodi Hospital Medical Research Centre, was awarded a Life Science fellowship for her study on "diagnostic tools for unexplained developmental disabilities and congenital anomalies". She says she has always been interested in genetic disease.

"When we have questions about diseases, interestingly, we can always trace them back to genetics. It gives answers to many of my questions of why people are different. The outcome of my study will hopefully benefit Thai patients with unexplained developmental delay, intellectual disabilities, autism or other such congenital anomalies, and help families prevent the reoccurrence of such congenital disabilities."

Currently the worldwide incidence of mental retardation is about 3 per cent, but oftentimes these abnormalities cannot be diagnosed, Natini says. "With no diagnosis, the treatment for patients and families with unexplained genetic disorders is immensely challenging, which can result in increased socio-economic burden for the family."

Natini is using a map of genetic anomalies called an SPN1 array to diagnose genetic disorders in 10 members from three families.

Dr Saengchan, from the National Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, says her "Study of Shrimp Molecular Biology Using a Yeast Two-Hybrid Technique" will help control disease and make shrimp farming a sustainable and environmentally friendly enterprise.

"Once the study on shrimp farming has been successfully completed, we will be able to apply the results to other areas of aqua-culture," says Saengchan. Her next research will be into the Nile Tilapia fish.

The fellowship in Material Science was granted to Uracha from the National Nanotechnology Centre for her contribution to "Development of Encapsulation Technology Based on Lipid Nano Carriers for Bio Applications".

"Effective encapsulation technology can help not only to save costs but also to provide better product performance," she explains. "This research mainly focuses on materials and resources available in Thailand, such as herbs, essential oils and proteins.

"Successful examples of this research are nano-emulsion cream and chilli pads for arthritis patients, and nano-emulsion for mosquito repellent."

"I've been doing this research for eight years already and faced many obstacles - but that's normal," says Uracha. "As a scientist, my motto is 'never say never'. Even if I don't get the answer I expect, the unexpected answer can give clues for other areas of research. Thus, I hope my research can be of wide-reaching benefit, especially for Thai industry. I also want my work to be an inspiration for young people with an interest in science."

Meanwhile, the "Development of Mesoporous Materials for Entrapping Heavy Metals and Gases in Packaging for Better Quality Food and Water" won Assistant Professor Hathaikarn from Chulalongkorn University's Petroleum and Petrochemical College her Material Science fellowship.

Hathaikarn is using Thai natural resources, such as porous clay. "This will enable us to not only add value to existing resources but also extend their benefits to the plastics industry by adding value via active and smart packaging," she says.

"Fruit exports alone having reached Bt11.6 billion, and most exporters face problems related to product packaging, especially from leakage of oxygen and ethylene gases that control ripening in fruits and vegetables. The successful outcome of this research will help preserve the freshness of agricultural goods including food products, fruit and vegetables, resulting in substantial benefits to the industry."

And it's this focus on practical applications that unites the four fellowship-winning scientists. Each one hopes and expects that her research will be helpful in the development of Thai society.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-20

Cute, smart chicks rock!wink.gif

Can't argue about that.

Edit: Well I guess you could have said Women instead of chicks but here in Thailand we don't need to be so politically correct jap.gif

Edited by Nisa

Generally scientific researchers gain a reputation by publishing papers in respected journals having them scrutinised by the scientific community.

Just curious ... How do you think the research of these doctors became known to even receive this recognition, if they didn't write about their research?

True MIRACLE Thailand they have taken 4 dumpy dark skinned Isaan girls, bleached thier skin and washed thier hair and made then look 1/2 attractive. Now they can have the shampoo hub of the world. Who really cares if these 4 ladies changed the scent of a shampoo.

Generally scientific researchers gain a reputation by publishing papers in respected journals having them scrutinised by the scientific community.

I would say their academic standing and research background is quite impressive. At least I am impressed and I'm involved in Scientific research. Example here if one would actually look for their credentials. The only way they could have been selected is by close scrutiny.

post-566-0-27794800-1316532847_thumb.jpg

Further details here

Well will the following do : Electrical properties of niobium based oxides-ceramics and single crystal fibers grown by the laser-heated pedestal growth (LHPG) technique. Hathaikan Manuspiya. 319pp Penn State University Press and numerous published papers.

As is the case for all of them, they have published consistently in peer reviewed journals such as British Medical Journal (Jinawath) & many others.

Just because you pick up a prize such as this (and the grant) doesn't mean you are not advanced in your field. I well remember a former Professor of mine who who had won just about every accolade going bar a Nobel prize pick up an award from Rowntree, the confectionery company. He was for ever after known as Rolo.

Well will the following do : Electrical properties of niobium based oxides-ceramics and single crystal fibers grown by the laser-heated pedestal growth (LHPG) technique. Hathaikan Manuspiya. 319pp Penn State University Press and numerous published papers.

As is the case for all of them, they have published consistently in peer reviewed journals such as British Medical Journal (Jinawath) & many others.

Just because you pick up a prize such as this (and the grant) doesn't mean you are not advanced in your field. I well remember a former Professor of mine who who had won just about every accolade going bar a Nobel prize pick up an award from Rowntree, the confectionery company. He was for ever after known as Rolo.

And now they are making Shampoo.

True MIRACLE Thailand they have taken 4 dumpy dark skinned Isaan girls, bleached thier skin and washed thier hair and made then look 1/2 attractive. Now they can have the shampoo hub of the world. Who really cares if these 4 ladies changed the scent of a shampoo.

Are you really this insecure and that threatened by these doctors?

Are you really this insecure and that threatened by these doctors?

apparently so, and any further nasty troll comments will be deleted and warnings issued. For heavens sake people, this kind of thing is getting way out of hand and I for one, am more than happy to remind people of their manners.