Working For Food And Hostel..

Pusa

Hi, I'm curious about working as a "voluteer", but not through some community or company, since thats pretty much allways really expensive.. I want to teach those who really needs help.. And for me, I get to know the country, the people, a little better..

I would like to have food and a room as my "payment".. Is this possible?

I have an international Cambride diploma that would confirm that I'm at least above average among non native english speakers..

I'm from Sweden by the way.. 24 years old!

This has been like my dream for the last couple of years, and now finally I can finance it.. But like I said, it would have been great to just live through the day with free food and shelter..

:o

Edited by Pusa

If you can arrange it, you can do it, I suppose. Just remember that technically even unpaid, volunteer work (such as that done to help folks in Phuket after the tsunami) is technically illegal if it is done without a work permit. I have no idea what it takes to qualify for a volunteer worker work permit, however- different rules than for teachers working in a school. Try the visa section of the forum; they'll probably know more about it.

It's probably quite possible (and a lot easier) to do what you're saying without a permit, but you're technically risking deportation and/or time in a Thai prison, neither of which are pleasant. If you were going to make a long-term thing of it, you'd probably want to get the paperwork done.

"Steven"

If you can arrange it, you can do it, I suppose.  Just remember that technically even unpaid, volunteer work (such as that done to help folks in Phuket after the tsunami) is technically illegal if it is done without a work permit.  I have no idea what it takes to qualify for a volunteer worker work permit, however- different rules than for teachers working in a school.  Try the visa section of the forum; they'll probably know more about it.

It's probably quite possible (and a lot easier) to do what you're saying without a permit, but you're technically risking deportation and/or time in a Thai prison, neither of which are pleasant.  If you were going to make a long-term thing of it, you'd probably want to get the paperwork done.

"Steven"

Thanks a bunch.. I'll look into the visa section then..

If you can arrange it, you can do it, I suppose.  Just remember that technically even unpaid, volunteer work (such as that done to help folks in Phuket after the tsunami) is technically illegal if it is done without a work permit.  I have no idea what it takes to qualify for a volunteer worker work permit, however- different rules than for teachers working in a school.  Try the visa section of the forum; they'll probably know more about it.

It's probably quite possible (and a lot easier) to do what you're saying without a permit, but you're technically risking deportation and/or time in a Thai prison, neither of which are pleasant.  If you were going to make a long-term thing of it, you'd probably want to get the paperwork done.

"Steven"

Thanks a bunch.. I'll look into the visa section then..

Check out FGCC...the First Global Community College in Nong Khai. I taught there and had a situation exactly like what you are describing. They didn't provide a work permit but immigration knew I was volunteering and they gave me a 90 day visa based on my volunteer work and never asked anything about the work permit....I think that the work permit is more of a technicality and realistically it is not necessary...whether it is necessary or not has been hotly debated here on TV and there are people on both sides as to if it is required.

Hi, I'm curious about working as a "voluteer", but not through some community or company, since thats pretty much allways really expensive..

I have an international Cambride diploma that would confirm that I'm at least above average among non native english speakers..

Well I think you're in luck.

I can help you out - I'm fed up with being paid 200B an hour so I can sub you some of my lessons . This is the real deal - proper language school in a nice suburb of Bangkok. You get to meat real Thai people on the long trip to work and see some different neighbourhoods that the tourists never get the chance to see.

It's great that your English is above average (for non natives) as at the moment there is a real influx of pidgin speaking bush men from Papua New Guinea.

I'm sure I can sort you out with some food that the locals eat and I even have a Thai friend who runs a guest house - only 70B a night - I can get you a deal on that .

You are in luck my friend - in fact it is your lucky day - Simon will help.

Hi, I'm curious about working as a "voluteer", but not through some community or company, since thats pretty much allways really expensive..

I can help you out - I'm fed up with being paid 200B an hour so I can sub you some of my lessons . This is the real deal - proper language school in a nice suburb of Bangkok. You get to meat real Thai people on the long trip to work and see some different neighbourhoods that the tourists never get the chance to see.

It's great that your English is above average (for non natives) as at the moment there is a real influx of pidgin speaking bush men from Papua New Guinea.

I'm sure I can sort you out with some food that the locals eat and I even have a Thai friend who runs a guest house - only 70B a night - I can get you a deal on that .

Well.. if Simon Says heres help to get! Then I guess, help is to expect... even though.. Dont you have a work permit? Otherwise this sounds really interesting.. But I wont be there for allmost 3 months.. Im leaving in the end of january... Maybe the offer stands even if you're not around still? I guess you still have got good contact with the school?

send me an email, and we can stay in touch further on!

Björn

Björn make sure you note in your diary that if those pidgin speaking bush men from Papua New Guinea are kuka kuka they do eat "meat" especially during the possible long journeys (rot tik) to work here in Thailand.

I can help you out - I'm fed up with being paid 200B an hour so I can sub you some of my lessons . This is the real deal - proper language school in a nice suburb of Bangkok......

Err.

"real deal"

"proper school"

"lucky day"

"simon will help"

For 200B AN HOUR!!!!!!! :o For F**** sake. Remind me never to be so lucky or ask for help from you!

kuka kuka -

I see you are well versed in pidgin then.

Congratulations - I'm sure you find this skill helpful.

Simon6973 No actually my Pidgin is pretty awful, even when I lived in PNG for three+ (3+) years I rarely conversed in Pidgin - all my apprentices were form 4 educated.

More than once I heard them say to a "Pidgin" speaking expat - we can speak Pidgin or Motu & place talk - lets practice English. Although this may be hard to swallow for some, we only sent the good english "understanders" to Australia for advanced training.

Oh sorry about the KukaKuka I should have explained in full:

The Angu, called Kukukuku by their neighbors, are a small, but fierce people, previously known for their murderous surprise raids on other groups' villages. They live in very remote mountainous country back of the Papuan Gulf.

http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nugui...an/kukukuku.htm

Simon6973 being well versed in the ways of PNG it should come as no suprise that the KukuKuku (note correct spelling this time) were one of the last known "human meat eaters" and are feared by many if not all other Papua New Guineans.

Back on topic I reiterate Björn be wary of the Kukukuku although a smallish people they are serious eaters - I would pay attention if they were teaching whatever the topic.

kuka kuka -

I see you are well versed in pidgin then.

Congratulations - I'm sure you find this skill helpful.

Simon6973 No actually my Pidgin is pretty awful, even when I lived in PNG for three+ (3+) years I rarely conversed in Pidgin - all my apprentices were form 4 educated.

More than once I heard them say to a "Pidgin" speaking expat - we can speak Pidgin or Motu & place talk - lets practice English. Although this may be hard to swallow for some, we only sent the good english "understanders" to Australia for advanced training.

Oh sorry about the KukaKuka I should have explained in full:

The Angu, called Kukukuku by their neighbors, are a small, but fierce people, previously known for their murderous surprise raids on other groups' villages. They live in very remote mountainous country back of the Papuan Gulf.

http://www.art-pacific.com/artifacts/nugui...an/kukukuku.htm

Simon6973 being well versed in the ways of PNG it should come as no suprise that the KukuKuku (note correct spelling this time) were one of the last known "human meat eaters" and are feared by many if not all other Papua New Guineans.

Back on topic I reiterate Björn be wary of the Kukukuku although a smallish people they are serious eaters - I would pay attention if they were teaching whatever the topic.

?!

Dont know what to do with that information.. :o

But ok.. thanx anyway for some good answers!

Back on topic I reiterate Björn  be wary of the Kukukuku although a smallish people they are serious eaters - I would pay attention if they were teaching whatever the

Dont know what to do with that information.. :D

Pusa (Björn) - I was off topic in a sense - sorry about that - I think you have received some fairly comprehensive advice about volunteering for room & tucker.

All I would say is apart from being wary of the kukukuku be very very aware of the "visa/work permit issues" don't let this put you off just don't be led astray by the galahads that say f#@k the legal requirements x your i's and . your t's. :o

Back on topic I reiterate Björn  be wary of the Kukukuku although a smallish people they are serious eaters - I would pay attention if they were teaching whatever the

Dont know what to do with that information.. :D

Pusa (Björn) - I was off topic in a sense - sorry about that - I think you have received some fairly comprehensive advice about volunteering for room & tucker.

All I would say is apart from being wary of the kukukuku be very very aware of the "visa/work permit issues" don't let this put you off just don't be led astray by the galahads that say f#@k the legal requirements x your i's and . your t's. :o

I created a topic here and asked what percent of teachers had work permits and it seemed to be the general consensus that probably less than 50% of the foreigners teaching in Thailand had work permits...and we are not talking volunteers here, we are talking regular paid teaching positions....I think that volunteer teachers with work permits are very rare...does anyone know of any?