Immigration On-Line Queue System

Tywais

As there are a couple of topics on this subject I thought a consolidation of information would be useful for those who need to visit Immigration in Chiang Mai.

Please note that the online queueing system is only for those doing extensions of stay such as work, marriage, business, education and retirement. Do NOT use it for 90 day reporting, re-entry permits, tourist visa extensions or similar matters that can be processed fairly quickly.

Chiang Mai immigration website
Officer handling queries - somyongk [at] hotmail.com
Alternates - Chiangmai2011 [at] gmail.com or tm [at] hotmail.com (these have not been tested by me)
Phone: 053-201755-6 Fax: 053-277510

Accessing the online queue system. Connect to immigration via the above link and scroll down until you see the Queue Online image. Since the calendar is in Thai I added an English to Thai table.
Important: Disable your browser popup blocker before clicking on the image..

post-566-0-87756600-1316496613_thumb.jpg

After clicking on the image a new window will popup for the actual reservation information. This is to be used only for extensions to stay such as work, retirement, marriage, etc and not 90 day reporting, re-entry permits or similar items with short handling times. There are only 10 time slots per day so be sure to reserve with discretion. If you change your mind, please be sure to cancel the appointment to free the slot for others.

A Q&A from the comments section and answer from the immigration officer:

Quote: I have heard that a "queue number" for annual visa renewal, and 90 days renewal can be obtained via the 'internet' is this correct ?...
-------------------------------------------------------
Answer: Only visa renewal can get queue number

post-566-0-36076200-1316496673_thumb.jpg post-566-0-16715100-1316498835_thumb.jpg

If you did not get a popup window with your queue information than you can either contact the above e-mail or use the comment section at the bottom of the main page of the immigration site: Example here.

post-566-0-07497600-1316496993_thumb.jpg

What the queue card looks like when completed:

post-566-0-42781900-1316512724_thumb.jpg

Note: This topic is for important information to members. Off-topic or argumentative posts will be removed without notice.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this a pinned topic.

I'm so glad CM Immigration has implemented this program and is obviously making changes from customer input. This forum is a very valuable source for letting expats know about this innovation and for getting user feeedback to Immigration.

As the OP on one of the threads referenced above, I think I can say this is definitely one area where I can say Thai Visa has "done some good".

Edited by NancyL

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this a pinned topic.

And I would like thank you for bringing it to our attention as I had no idea it was implemented. Also thanks to McGriffith and sbk for given the topic a once over before I made it live. Just hope immigration keeps it and gives it a few tweaks to improve upon it over time.

I was at Immigration on Tuesday renewing my extention of stay. Booked an appointment at the Immigration web site for 10am about a month ago. Arrived at Immigration at 9.45am and was called almost immediatly and everything was completed at 10.15am and left after receiving my passport back with the new visa stamp at 10.30am. A great improvement and congratulations to Chiang Mai immigration for this new concept as it beats queueing and not knowing if you are going to get a ticket on the day. Immigration was packed on Tuesday with standing room only and spme people had been queueing there since 6.30am

I was at Immigration on Tuesday renewing my extention of stay. Booked an appointment at the Immigration web site for 10am about a month ago. Arrived at Immigration at 9.45am and was called almost immediatly and everything was completed at 10.15am and left after receiving my passport back with the new visa stamp at 10.30am. A great improvement and congratulations to Chiang Mai immigration for this new concept as it beats queueing and not knowing if you are going to get a ticket on the day. Immigration was packed on Tuesday with standing room only and spme people had been queueing there since 6.30am

Techno... Great news and congratulations on a record time and experience! You obviously had your forms in good order, had the correct size photos, and had your copies made and signed. Preparation is the key. Some guy botched up the 90 day check process for a while this morning as he didn't have the right copies and then even started arguing with the officer. They know what they need and it is easy to be in the know with just a little web searching.

3 pm appointment today for retirement visa, me + er indoors, called at 3.03 pm paperwork done by 3.20 pm, waited half hour for visa stamps in both passports. Then did re-entry for both of us and out at 4.20 pm.

Well done immigration-the system works perfectly, don't abuse it.

3 pm appointment today for retirement visa, me + er indoors, called at 3.03 pm paperwork done by 3.20 pm, waited half hour for visa stamps in both passports. Then did re-entry for both of us and out at 4.20 pm.

Well done immigration-the system works perfectly, don't abuse it.

I'll second that. So the idiots who use it for a 90 day (you know who you are!) may just end up having the system be shut down so cut it out.

Thanks very much for the extremely valuable information. I'm always impressed by the kind and helpful people who post at Thai Visa. I just made an appointment and it worked flawlessly. My appointment is for the end of November, but three of the six slots were already taken. So my advice to anyone planning on using this system is to do so as early as possible, otherwise you'll miss the opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I successfully used the system. I found 3 things I would like to add/suggest.

1. Works best for me in Internet Explorer (some one said that some time ago, but I do not see it here).

2. I found that changing the width of the page visible on my monitor(a large one) will either let all the images appear correctly or cause them to over lap each other. For some reason full monitor width web page did not show correctly. If you have a problem, just grab the side and slide it back and forth until the images all line up correctly.

3. To play it safe, I took a screen shot of each page as it appeared. So I was prepared, just in case, I could not print. It did print, but I now have a "back up" copy. In fact, I could make a step by step tutorial on what to look for and what to enter where.

Question.

I have my 1 year under review, and am due to go pick up my visa (have it put in the passport) once done.

Do I make another appointment for this, or do you just hand in the passport and come back in the afternoon without queuing ??

My first extension up here and my last office was never this busy, they were rude and unpleasant, but you always saw someone within a few minutes. So am confused the best way to operate.

Question.

I have my 1 year under review, and am due to go pick up my visa (have it put in the passport) once done.

Do I make another appointment for this, or do you just hand in the passport and come back in the afternoon without queuing ??

My first extension up here and my last office was never this busy, they were rude and unpleasant, but you always saw someone within a few minutes. So am confused the best way to operate.

No, go to the first window after entering the room and tell the officer what you are there for. I handed mine in and took a seat. 40 minutes later I had the passport back. After handing in, the kids at the information window will receive it back and call your name. Takes a while depending on how busy.

Question.

No, go to the first window after entering the room and tell the officer what you are there for. I handed mine in and took a seat. 40 minutes later I had the passport back. After handing in, the kids at the information window will receive it back and call your name. Takes a while depending on how busy.

Thanks.

The queuing system worked extremely well again today. Thirty minutes to complete the full retirement extension process (amazing!), though the long queues meant that the following re-entry permit process then took a further 90 minutes (60 min wait to be called to submit documents, then 30 min wait to receive the passport back). Overall, 2 hours, rather than the almost 8 hours taken for the same thing last year.

I was also surprised to see that the office seemed to be processing applications right through the normal lunch hour (noon-1pm) , which I hadn't seen before and thought worth reporting. Anyone else seen that?

On the downside, a friend who arrived at 2pm to do the 90 day reporting received a queue card from the machine, putting him about 60 places in the queue behind the currently-on-display numbers for that process. Never seen a queue that long for the '90 days' before and people were saying they'd already been waiting for over two hours to be called.

CMMCB

I was also surprised to see that the office seemed to be processing applications right through the normal lunch hour (noon-1pm) , which I hadn't seen before and thought worth reporting. Anyone else seen that?

Another member reported it when he did his 90 day report. Believe a member said there was a sign there now announcing it.

The queuing system worked extremely well again today. Thirty minutes to complete the full retirement extension process (amazing!), though the long queues meant that the following re-entry permit process then took a further 90 minutes (60 min wait to be called to submit documents, then 30 min wait to receive the passport back). Overall, 2 hours, rather than the almost 8 hours taken for the same thing last year.

On the downside, a friend who arrived at 2pm to do the 90 day reporting received a queue card from the machine, putting him about 60 places in the queue behind the currently-on-display numbers for that process. Never seen a queue that long for the '90 days' before and people were saying they'd already been waiting for over two hours to be called.

CMMCB

Posted this before but worth repeating.

Been there 3 times around 4pm in the last month or so for various reasons. Each time people walking in no ticket required for 90 day report out again within 2 -3 minutes- also did it myself 2 weeks ago.

Did my extension last week with an 11 AM appointment. Name was called at 11:10 and spent about 10 minutes with the officer going over the documents. Got the passport back at 11:50 so a total processing time of 40 minutes. A great speed improvement over prior years.

Did my extension last week with an 11 AM appointment. Name was called at 11:10 and spent about 10 minutes with the officer going over the documents. Got the passport back at 11:50 so a total processing time of 40 minutes. A great speed improvement over prior years.

Hubby had the same experience last week, for a 10 am appointment. His name was called at 10:10 am and he had his retirement visa extension within 40 minutes of being called. Then he returned to the copy shop and filled out the form for his re-entry permit. We make it a practice to always have a valid re-entry permit in our passports in case we have to leave the country suddenly. Sure, we haven't always used them, but it's just one less hassle if we're called out of Thailand because of injury or death of a family member. Left Immigration with both his new visa extension and re-entry permit by 11:30 am.

Entire process was very smooth, he reports. The only question asked by the officer was when he went on-line to get his appointment; how far in advance of the appointment. Frankly, I made the appointment so long ago, he couldn't remember. The officer said the queue is filling up fast and people should make appointments well in advance. Maybe I'll get my appointment for my Feb visa extension now!

No questions about income, even though he used an income statement notarized by the American Consulate. Maybe they figure that people who are organized enough to make appointments several months in advance and come with all the correct copies, every page signed and dated, are probably not going to be trying to "game the system" with their income letter.

Edited by NancyL

The officer said the queue is filling up fast and people should make appointments well in advance.

It would be interesting to ask how many or what percentage of no shows there are. Perhaps they will implement a verification system later.

Suggest equivalent of 1 day overstay penalty for NO SHOWS.

Immigration may like this.

Many Farangs relish complaining but even more like not to comply!

I had totally forgotten that the multiple re-entry permit is a different process.

Any chance of talking to immigration to combine the two?

Again, I would not mind to pay a fee for that service.

Nowadays one got to pay for a pee, so why not a fee??

My retirement time is worth to me a lot! Hate wasting it waiting around.

Hubby had the same experience last week, for a 10 am appointment. His name was called at 10:10 am and he had his retirement visa extension within 40 minutes of being called. Then he returned to the copy shop and filled out the form for his re-entry permit. We make it a practice to always have a valid re-entry permit in our passports in case we have to leave the country suddenly. Sure, we haven't always used them, but it's just one less hassle if we're called out of Thailand because of injury or death of a family member. Left Immigration with both his new visa extension and re-entry permit by 11:30 am.

Entire process was very smooth, he reports. The only question asked by the officer was when he went on-line to get his appointment; how far in advance of the appointment. Frankly, I made the appointment so long ago, he couldn't remember. The officer said the queue is filling up fast and people should make appointments well in advance. Maybe I'll get my appointment for my Feb visa extension now!

No questions about income, even though he used an income statement notarized by the American Consulate. Maybe they figure that people who are organized enough to make appointments several months in advance and come with all the correct copies, every page signed and dated, are probably not going to be trying to "game the system" with their income letter.

I was at Chiang Mai Immigration in the zoo, sorry, Waiting Room today. I submitted my visa extension and all went well. I have to go back in December and I will be following your advice about getting a re-entry permit once I get the annual stamp. Could you let me know what paperwork etc I need for it?

Many thanks.

I never worry about the paperwork for the reentry permit until I'm waiting at Immigration for them to process my new visa extension after the interview. That wait is usually about 20 - 30 minutes, so I fill the idle time by getting the form for the re-entry permit and fill it out while I'm waiting. Then, after they return my passport with the new visa extension, I trot over to the copy shop in the little restaurant behind the Immigration office, hand the copy lady my passport with the completed re-entry permit form inside and wait while she flips thru the pages and copies exactly what's needed. Then I sit down at the copy shop/restaurant, sign and date all the copies and return to the immigration office with the form and signed copies inside the passport and hand them to the employee at the queue ticket machine who looks at everything and punches the button for me to get a queue ticket. I never have to say a word to anyone and and don't spend time worrying if I have all the right stuff copied.

I do know that one of the copies you'll need for the re-entry permit is your newly minted visa extension. You can't do that in advance, obviously, if you plan to get your re-entry permit right after you obtain your visa extension.

where do you get the queue code from, i need an appt for last part of nov or dec 1 or 2 for retire visa renewal, but it keeps asking me for a queue code and it won't give me a time. lost in cyberspace help

and if i cannot book an appointment i can still do a walk in???

I never worry about the paperwork for the reentry permit until I'm waiting at Immigration for them to process my new visa extension after the interview. That wait is usually about 20 - 30 minutes, so I fill the idle time by getting the form for the re-entry permit and fill it out while I'm waiting. Then, after they return my passport with the new visa extension, I trot over to the copy shop in the little restaurant behind the Immigration office, hand the copy lady my passport with the completed re-entry permit form inside and wait while she flips thru the pages and copies exactly what's needed. Then I sit down at the copy shop/restaurant, sign and date all the copies and return to the immigration office with the form and signed copies inside the passport and hand them to the employee at the queue ticket machine who looks at everything and punches the button for me to get a queue ticket. I never have to say a word to anyone and and don't spend time worrying if I have all the right stuff copied.

I do know that one of the copies you'll need for the re-entry permit is your newly minted visa extension. You can't do that in advance, obviously, if you plan to get your re-entry permit right after you obtain your visa extension.

WARNING ! WARNING ! WARNING !

This is unsubstantiated but related to me, while at the Dept . by a couple who had booked their appointment/s on line for the previous day when they arrived to find the Office closed for a Public Holiday.

According to them, while they received some sympathy, their appointment time (from the previous day) could not be honoured and they had to go through their processes as any others , by getting queue numbers from the machine.

PROBLEM IS that the ONLINE BOOKING SYSTEM DOES NOT RECOGNISE PUBLIC HOLIDAYS AND WILL LOG YOU IN FOR AN APPOINTMENT SHOULD YOU SELECT THAT DATE (so they tell me)..... SO HAVE YOUR THAI DIARY OPEN WHEN BOOKING AN ONLINE APPOINTMENT AND ENSURE YOU DON'T LAND UP WITH A DUMMY.

I have not had the opportunity to verify this information but it seemed genuine enough.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

Cheers

WARNING ! WARNING ! WARNING !

This is unsubstantiated but related to me, while at the Dept . by a couple who had booked their appointment/s on line for the previous day when they arrived to find the Office closed for a Public Holiday.

According to them, while they received some sympathy, their appointment time (from the previous day) could not be honoured and they had to go through their processes as any others , by getting queue numbers from the machine.

PROBLEM IS that the ONLINE BOOKING SYSTEM DOES NOT RECOGNISE PUBLIC HOLIDAYS AND WILL LOG YOU IN FOR AN APPOINTMENT SHOULD YOU SELECT THAT DATE (so they tell me)..... SO HAVE YOUR THAI DIARY OPEN WHEN BOOKING AN ONLINE APPOINTMENT AND ENSURE YOU DON'T LAND UP WITH A DUMMY.

I have not had the opportunity to verify this information but it seemed genuine enough.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

Cheers

Thank you! I wondered about this, too, when I decided to book my appointment for my February visa extension recently. It was rather interesting to click on some of the dates on Immigration's calendar and see just how full they were. I wondered why they booked some appointments for holidays in December where they'd obviously be closed.

So, yes, it really pays to have a Thai calendar to use in situations like this.