Business Proposition

During my time in LOS I've had my fair share of weird business proposals from dodgy characters. There is, however, one that stands out. I got to know this guy in his mid 30's who had an idea that required some capital (as you may figure). He didn't have a single dime himself, but claimed that his personality alone was worth equal to the 40 million Bath required to get a small factory up and running.

He also claimed that there was no need for any documents to be signed, no need for any company to be registered. Of course, he was supposed to own 50% of the company and work as the MD. He didn't expect me to be working in the company, but operate as a silent partner. When I told him that I probably wanted to work he suggested that I could work in the factory with the manufacturing.

In short, he wanted me to give him 40 million Baht without any papers or agreement, sod off to wherever I came from and he'd contact me when there was profit.

How many characters like this have you met in this country?

Ehhh, this wasn't supposed to be in the Golf forum....

Moderator, can you please move?

Good one.. I had a guy wanting to come work for me. Pay him a salary and make him my partner, said he could run the factory much better then I was and increase production get our sales but to 1 billion per year. I'm sure you know what I told the guy. i would love a 1 billion dollar a year in sales, but there is no way I can have that much raw material to do it. You find all kinds here, most with no money and big dreams.

There's a Canadian bloke wandering the bars of Pattaya at the moment trying to find investors for his medical test kit venture. His business plan/prospectus states that it will take up to 16 weeks to get government approvals but in the meantime he will move to Bangkok and open an office while drawing a Bt60,000/mth salary plus expenses. His prospectus goes on to show that in the first year, including the 16 week period where he is drawing a salary but without the approvals to sell anything, will generate Bt270 million in profit with investors who contribute Bt1.5 million to the startup (he's contribution is his knowledge and contacts with suppliers) receiving a minimum return of Bt2.7million. About the quality of investment advice you would expect to get offered in bars and not surprising that no one's leapt at this "golden opportunity" yet.

I used to have a registered corporation in US before moving to Thailand (i never really did much business under it). I filed to close it when i moved.

A year so after moving here somehow a guy tracked me down (he had to call a lot of different people to do this) and gave me some story about how he was starting up a business and wanted to use my company name.

He said the company name was unavailable despite me closing it...

I said he could buy the company name "make me an offer"...guy disappeared, which seemed weird after the effort he put into finding me. After a lot of searching i found him listed on several tax/IRS web pages and appears to work for the government investigating taxes etc..

If I wasn't paranoid about the tax man before; i definitely am now.

Edited by dave111223

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...