Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

Insist on going to the police station to make a formal report, that report will be saved and after a while it begs the question why that jet ski owner had so many 'accidents'.

At the police station you can also access a lawyer that will hopefully question just how much paint cost.

If the jet ski owner physically attack/prevent you from going to police station you can knife him and claim self defense, which will further bring spotlight on him.

Sure,fiends of mine were involved in one of those scams.First demand was 80.000 baht after long talking lowered to 40.000 Baht.I advised them to go to the police station,in the police station the Jetski guy's got a big mouth,refused to sit inside and with the help of FPV's he asked now 59.000 Baht.Thai police volunteer demanded my friends passports,they were supposed to leave for the airport in 3 hours.They paid up,19000 Baht more than before the police was involved.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Late today opposite mike shopping mall there was a huge crowd of people watching the scammers a couple of farang were having a go at them it was over some indians being scammed the scammers were screaming at the indians and one was pushed one farang was about to start punching on and demanded one scammer go to the police not sure what happenned but there was plenty going on.

The scammer were getting very agressive with tourists taking photo's.

Every time a group of people rent jet skis from that area they are scammed and it has not stopped in 12 months.

In 1997, Pattaya City Hall held a meeting to discuss the jet ski mafia. That's 1,460 days ago.

It is estimated the scammers rob/scam 300,000 a day from tourists.

That equals 438,000,000 baht stolen from visitors while City Hall does NOTHING.

If it's true the police take 20%, they have earned 87,600,000 in the last 4 years.

I am guessing City Hall takes and equal share.

In 1997, Pattaya City Hall held a meeting to discuss the jet ski mafia. That's 1,460 days ago.

It is estimated the scammers rob/scam 300,000 a day from tourists.

That equals 438,000,000 baht stolen from visitors while City Hall does NOTHING.

If it's true the police take 20%, they have earned 87,600,000 in the last 4 years.

I am guessing City Hall takes and equal share.

EDIT:

In 2007...not 1997 City Hall held the meeting.

Friends of mine will visit Pattaya soon and they love jet skis , is there any vendor we can trust is not a scam near the Pattaya Beach Road?

I have already warned them but they ask for advice where to rent .

when i first noticed the scam and started taking pics in 2010 i thought that it was mainly confined to the area between soi 10 and mikes shopping mall.

but back in jan 2011 i realised that it was a beach wide problem and i would say nowhere is safe.

i accept that sometimes tourists do have minor bumps and i have seen it happen but when it does occur the sums demanded are out of all proportion to the actual damage on the ski

I am still looking for advice where it is safe to rent jet skis in Pattaya . Surely there must be one or two reliable places where you can go.. Maybe Jomtien is better?

Friends of mine will visit Pattaya soon and they love jet skis , is there any vendor we can trust is not a scam near the Pattaya Beach Road?

I have already warned them but they ask for advice where to rent .

when i first noticed the scam and started taking pics in 2010 i thought that it was mainly confined to the area between soi 10 and mikes shopping mall.

but back in jan 2011 i realised that it was a beach wide problem and i would say nowhere is safe.

i accept that sometimes tourists do have minor bumps and i have seen it happen but when it does occur the sums demanded are out of all proportion to the actual damage on the ski

I am still looking for advice where it is safe to rent jet skis in Pattaya . Surely there must be one or two reliable places where you can go.. Maybe Jomtien is better?

Maybe? Probably even.

But I wouldn't bank on it.

Late today opposite mike shopping mall there was a huge crowd of people watching the scammers a couple of farang were having a go at them it was over some indians being scammed the scammers were screaming at the indians and one was pushed one farang was about to start punching on and demanded one scammer go to the police not sure what happenned but there was plenty going on.

The scammer were getting very agressive with tourists taking photo's.

Every time a group of people rent jet skis from that area they are scammed and it has not stopped in 12 months.

Shame I missed it. This Karma stuff sure is taking its time.

Today 3pm down near walking street. 2 Ski's on the beach, no damage that I could see. 3 Police in attendance, new faces, supping on their no doubt complimentary Cokes looking on as the familiar Sikh interpreter/negotiator/scammer was refusing to accept 10k.

Eventually they agreed a price not sure how much but i saw 12k-15K Baht and a number of foreign currency notes change hands.

The Cops stayed on for a laugh and a joke with the scammers and exchanged phone numbers with the Sikh before leaving.

In the mean time not 10 feet away another group of 3 Indians went out for some fun on the water!

Edited by kevkev1888

Comments Pattaya Mail

Today, 30th Sept 2011, at 5pm witnessed the same Jet Ski scam taking place on Pattaya Beach. This was near Mike Shopping Mall, opposite Beach Road soi 12.

A group of Indian tourists were targeted this evening. One Jet Ski was accused of being damaged. Of course it was there before, this scam occurs every single day with the same gang of Jet Ski operators. Any intervention by passers by would be met with threats, and then violence. There is nothing you can do to help these guys. The four Indian tourists were literally begging, pleading, and were in a pretty bad state. The gang of Thai’s nearby that were part of the scam were laughing, drinking beer, playing with their kids (who were also asking passers by if they wanted to rent a Jet Ski) and pointing at their marks mocking them.

I see that last week (Saturday 24th Sept 2011) that five Jet Ski scammers were arrested for attempting to extort a couple of Saudi Arabia tourists, and followed the tourists to the Marriott Resort & Spa in Pattaya. The police were called, arrests were made.

So, literally a few days later, the scams are continuing on Beach Road. Nothing has changed! NOTHING! The same scammers I’ve seen for months and months are exorting sums of money any between 40,000 to 80,000 baht.

Also closer to Walking Street entrance on Beach Road, opposite soi 13/4 and near there, the same gang of Thai scammers are there every day. They’re also continuing to extort tourists.

They often target the marks around 5pm-5:30pm, as it’s getting dark. There are more of the gangs keeping an eye on people taking photos than I’ve seen before. These gangs are well organised, in that they have around 10 Thai’s ready waiting to add to the threats if there extortion demands are not met.

So, arrests of Thai Jet Ski scammers has had absolutely no impact whatsoever on them continuing ‘business as usual’. It’s disgraceful. Same thugs operating for months and months, and none of them locked up and told not to return. This scam has been operating for years. Welcome to Pattaya, tourists, play safe.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/5-alleged-jet-ski-scammers-arrested-after-threatening-victims-inside-5-star-resort-6561

THe sikh guy is still being used and also another foreign type person that flashes and id card and tries to get the victims to pay up he goes to many scam areas , the police know him because he goes into the station soi 9.

It is very questionable when the scams are going on that they have the ok from the police because they are not worried about going to the station.

Also it looks like they have the blessing of the marine dept.

The police at Soi 9 are fed up with the jet ski cases but since their rules are that it is a civil case for property damage unless threats are truly provable or personal injury is evident, either party can make a report for damage claims but they are normally requested to take it all to City Hall if no agreement can be reached between the parties. Late afternoon/early evening when City Hall is closed is thus an ideal time for the scammers.

The real Foreign Police Volunteers have strict instructions not to be involved as abuse and threats from both sides have occurred in the past as well as the risk of being thought to be getting remuneration from any party - and there are cases of dismissal for those who have been involved in any way. City Hall have recruited hundreds of their own police recently but powers of arrest and reporting etc. still lie with Soi 9 station and it remains to be seen if any City Hall officer patrolling helps in all this.

The police at Soi 9 are fed up with the jet ski cases but since their rules are that it is a civil case for property damage unless threats are truly provable or personal injury is evident, either party can make a report for damage claims but they are normally requested to take it all to City Hall if no agreement can be reached between the parties. Late afternoon/early evening when City Hall is closed is thus an ideal time for the scammers.

The real Foreign Police Volunteers have strict instructions not to be involved as abuse and threats from both sides have occurred in the past as well as the risk of being thought to be getting remuneration from any party - and there are cases of dismissal for those who have been involved in any way. City Hall have recruited hundreds of their own police recently but powers of arrest and reporting etc. still lie with Soi 9 station and it remains to be seen if any City Hall officer patrolling helps in all this.

If you are serious then you are a lost cause really and no nothing.

the problem is that the scammers have a strong case even if it were to end in court, maybe half a dozen of them saw and have photos proving that the jetski wasnt damaged when it was hired out. they probably claim they saw the accident take place. really the only way they case can be disproven is to have evidence, which the police should have, that the scammers are using the same damage each time they make a claim. the people being scammed are in no position to do that

These city hall officer are not doing much patrolling they do plenty of sitting down and eating noodle dishes along the beach , I have't seen them get involved in assisting foreigners who need help.

when will it stop,i remember when i was a kid a bloke used to walk arround the town holding up a banner it said[ the end of the world is ni] answer.

I would only be worried once he puts the sign down and starts counting down while looking at his watch

If you are serious then you are a lost cause really and no nothing.

In the case of jet-skis, maybe, but a great deal of assistance is given for other issues foreigners have.

If the Mayor, City Hall, Tourist Authority and others can't resolve jet ski issues just what are we lowly foreign unpaid volunteers expected to do exactly ?

Not sure if mentioned in previous posts by others, but I just noticed travel advisory by Australiam Government. Among other things, it does make reference to jet ski scams. I read elsewhee other governments also have similar warnings.A few months ago, I also noticed a warning at the back entrance/exit (to Beach Rd) of The Marriot advising risks re: jet skis.The more warnings the better!

A report on Pattaya Future Facebook Page

A couple of days ago while walking past soi 11 I saw a police office running very fast onto the beach where the scams have been going on , for once I thought action at last . The Policeman knocked the man to the ground in an act of great courage but then I looked a bit closer to see this man was just a feeble squid seller who is trying to survive so well done Pattaya Police station great show for the Tourists and to cap this off if the courageous police man had just glimpsed a bit further to his left he would have noticed a jet ski scam going on and tourists actually needing some help.

http://www.facebook.com/PattayaFuture :D

For what it is worth, a beach squid seller was recently arrested for drunken molestation of a lady who pressed charges. It could very well be the same case as referred to above.

Jumping to conclusions is always dangerous.

Fair Point Peter but they chase beach vendors everyday until the back of the pick up is full and it is still no excuse for ignoring the scammers at present they are targeting most people that rent jet ski especially soi 11and all groups that hire, they are using possible manipulated photo's as proof and the Pattaya Police and Pattaya City hall have been advised by eye witnesses that photo manipulation is occuring and Police are ignoring it.

It would be so easy to prove but the law enforcement choose to ignore it there is plenty of software available to undelete sd cards.

The situation is getting more dangerous because Pattaya City is getting no assistance from The Police , The Tourist Police or Marine Police they are all turning a blind eye In my opinion it wont be long before a very serious injury occurs and Pattaya City will have another meeting to show the media that they are doing something and then it will be forgotten again and back to business as usual for all the corrupt officials and scammers and another million baht will be robbed off tourists.

Edited by saintofsilence