Get Away

netkoala

Been to Pattaya and found myself going mental.

Went to Samet and in 5 min of sitting and drinking juice was in another world.

Amazing experience.

What is your escape ?

If in Bangkok do you need to drive 1/2 way to Chang Mai to find a weeks retreat or perhaps just Nakhorn Ratchasima ?

Know of any guest houses where food is good, is quiet and green and HAS internet too.

P.S Any body testify to working upcountry upcountry and loving it and did not miss McDonalds - or was the centre you were in polluted.

If you miss McDonalds, try realigning the sites on you RPG launcher do everyone a favour.

Try driving down the coast from Pattaya to Baeng Saen or go a bit further to Rayong and then to Chantaburi excellent place to recover from the "delights" of Pattya

A couple of days on a river barge out of Kanchanaburi is a nice quiet getaway, as long as you can manage to stay away from other river bargess with the disco's.

They just toe you along the river and then tie you up to the bank in a nice quiet spot. Then come back in a couple of days and toe you back.

AHH, yes, the three pagados.

One of the seven wonders of the world.

Did you expect to see three awesome pagados silohuetted against the setting sun as the last rays nestled beneath the backdrop of the mountain pass. I did.

Well in fact they are in the middle of the roundabout opposite the immigration hut. Each one is about 5 foot tall.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IT Manager

On a big bike do CM to Pai. Stop at the signs saying "hot springs" for a few hours.

Heard there was an Aussie woman there doing the guest house thing but I'm not sure.

Yeah the delights of travelling Thailand and staying in anything other than a big hotel........what a place. The Jolly frog at Kanch is good and cheap and has a nice garden area complete with a few hammocks where you can lie beneath the trees with a cold beer in hand to while away the hours. Umphang - South from Mae Sot - a long way to go but what a place. Quiet, not many other farang at all and only mountains, waterfalls and jungles to occupy your time. Closer to home look at Khao Yai National Park area......loads of little resorts. Some have actual houses you can stay in and cook your own food if you want to...or just walk 100 metres to the restaurant area for your meals. Some places have pools too and are close to wineries and the national park.

Could also try the area south of Hua Hin. The national park has accommodation. Other nat parks also have acommodation solook at all of them. Koh Chang is not far and has very nice quiet places to stay. But dont tell anyone ok. If you are adventurous you can find places that are great and comfortable enough.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend just said I should have mentioned something closer to Bkk....

The people in the small town (monkey village) of Lopburi are some of the friendliest people I've met in my 9 years here. The ruins are small but well kept and interesting. Rent a motorcycle and take off in any direction and you'll think you stepped back 20 years. And if you ride far enough you may even find a guest house in one of the tiny villages nearby. And don't forget to check out the sunflowers!

I love it when people mention "bike trips" and "biking" because you never know whether they're talking about motorcycles or bicycles. When the action clears in the south, ride a bike (guess which one) along the coastal road of Narathiwat... miles & miles of a beautiful seemingly endless beach... camp anywhere or stop at one of the very few resorts on the coast. This is a Thailand you've not seen before!

Mine was Khao Lak (Phang Nga provice). Very quiet. There were only a few families (foreigners though) staying at the resort during my stay. The beach is not yet ruined. Ahh... miss it.... :o