Police Bribes

silsburyhill

I've been told that if a police officer accepts a bribe to not press charges against persons having committed a crime, particularly concerning a very serious case, the case file could then be lodged directly with the local Prosecutor's Office. Is this true?

Not sure this the right forum, mods please feel free to move if not. I couldn't see one relating to 'Thai Legal Issues'. Although suspect it would be overflowing leading to breakdown of server.

i have known on many occasions bribes being paid to the police, from Murder to being caught with drugs, all have paid the police ( amounts from 500 K for having a gram of cocaine, to 2 million for killing smeone ... ferang killed thai, ) ... everything is brushed under the carpet once the money is paid, it is there buiness

There probably have been cases where the police have been paid a sum of monies in order to ensure that a criminal action runs more smoothly against an accused while the case is pending. For example, that the defendant is not put in jail while awaiting trial or the police report is written more favourably for the accused and so on.

But in all criminal cases, when a defendant is charged in Thailand, or sometimes even if the defendant has not been charged, the ultimate decision whether or not the case goes to court is left at the discretion of the Prosecutor.

I have heard stories that once the police have concluded their investigations, that prosecutors have discretely asked for bribe money so as to sway his/her decision not to place a defendant in jail and proceed the case to court.

It is worth keeping in mind that the police and the law authorities in Thailand have draconian powers and beware of falling under the mercies of the long arm of the law.

If in Thailand, do not become involved with anything shady, keep within the law, enjoy and live in peace here.

post-110219-0-15487500-1316681713_thumb.

There probably have been cases where the police have been paid a sum of monies in order to ensure that a criminal action runs more smoothly against an accused while the case is pending. For example, that the defendant is not put in jail while awaiting trial or the police report is written more favourably for the accused and so on.

But in all criminal cases, when a defendant is charged in Thailand, or sometimes even if the defendant has not been charged, the ultimate decision whether or not the case goes to court is left at the discretion of the Prosecutor.

I have heard stories that once the police have concluded their investigations, that prosecutors have discretely asked for bribe money so as to sway his/her decision not to place a defendant in jail and proceed the case to court.

It is worth keeping in mind that the police and the law authorities in Thailand have draconian powers and beware of falling under the mercies of the long arm of the law.

If in Thailand, do not become involved with anything shady, keep within the law, enjoy and live in peace here.

Thank you for your response.

Your assertion that 'I have heard some stories that once the police have concluded their investigations, that prosecutors have discretely asked for bribe money so as to sway his/her decision not to place a defendant in jail and proceed the case to court' does not pertain to my .case - the Judge suggested this particular line of action. I am therefore unconcerned regarding Court Procedure. Please re-read 'header'. As to your penultimate paragraph. I am not the Offender (your previous para/line intimating I might be).

I had been informed by my Embassy that there are a lot of 'farang' in Thai jails (and not just for drugs). Therefore, seemingly the old chestnut about farang being able to get out of whatever criminal action took, a myth. Of course there are some who are able to buy their way out of a drug,theft/murder cases in certain areas and with certain officials, but that is on the decline.

Anyone with a relevant answer to my question? There was a recent thread on court procedure, but cannot find. I have a lawyer but want to check everything that comes out of anyone's mouth here, Thai and farang. Stop 'rolling over' for G*ds sake. I've lived in many countries and have yet to find an apathetic expat 'community' as here in Thailand.

PS Not joking about Thai Legal System forum on this site. Bearing in mind, for ever 10 lawyers asked, 10 different answers will be given. Never mind misinformation, I'm sure those interested will be able to discern the chaff from the wheat.

The one instance I know of where a prosecutor dismissed any charges was due to family connections and money. As I am led to believe, the Prosecutor dismissed all charges and that was the end of it. In this case it was attempted murder. The 'Old School Tie', family and a not insubstantial sum of money kept the young lady from a trial she stood a good chance of losing.

That means if you want to bypass the bribe system in some way or to get a successful prosecution the Prosecutor is the one to see, If it even gets that far :whistling:

But I think if you are basically a nobody Farang you will not be entertained by the prosecutor in the first place. If you are, all he can do is look at the evidence. If that evidence is lacking there will be no case to answer.

Thank you for your response.

Your assertion that 'I have heard some stories that once the police have concluded their investigations, that prosecutors have discretely asked for bribe money so as to sway his/her decision not to place a defendant in jail and proceed the case to court' does not pertain to my .case - the Judge suggested this particular line of action. I am therefore unconcerned regarding Court Procedure. Please re-read 'header'. As to your penultimate paragraph. I am not the Offender (your previous para/line intimating I might be).

I had been informed by my Embassy that there are a lot of 'farang' in Thai jails (and not just for drugs). Therefore, seemingly the old chestnut about farang being able to get out of whatever criminal action took, a myth. Of course there are some who are able to buy their way out of a drug,theft/murder cases in certain areas and with certain officials, but that is on the decline.

Anyone with a relevant answer to my question? There was a recent thread on court procedure, but cannot find. I have a lawyer but want to check everything that comes out of anyone's mouth here, Thai and farang. Stop 'rolling over' for G*ds sake. I've lived in many countries and have yet to find an apathetic expat 'community' as here in Thailand.

PS Not joking about Thai Legal System forum on this site. Bearing in mind, for ever 10 lawyers asked, 10 different answers will be given. Never mind misinformation, I'm sure those interested will be able to discern the chaff from the wheat.

What are you going on about?

You have asked some direct questions and I have given you some direct answers as general information.

Please point out in which part of my post I have referred to any of this pertaining to your case personally?

The I heard part refers to me, not to you. Please peruse my post again properly instead of reading things into it that simply are not there.

Yes, it is true. You can bypass the police and file a private criminal action.

Thank you. That is what I have been told by two eminent lawyers here. But overly cautious and doesn't take long to post a question on an expat forum in order to gather answers from one's compatriot expats. So the buggers would be wasting their money if this were to happen then. Good.

Thanks to again.

Edited by silsburyhill