Northern Thai Dictionary

sceadugenga

I've been given a link to a Northern Thai dictionary which appears to be better than anything I've seen before.

Unfortunately it's in PDF format of rather poor photocopies and it needs to be taken in hand by someone with spare time and who is fluent in written Thai, as the Thai words are in Thai script.

I think it would be quite a worthwhile project if anyone was interested.

Hi!

Think this one is pretty good to.

http://www.thai-flas...user-videos.php

Thanks, love that site. I can speak some Japanese, some Korean, but Thai is so difficult for me. Tongue not cooperative. I say a lot of words and wife still does not understand what I am saying.

Try this it may help you with your uncooperative tongue, why i bonnie lad.

eng-geord-title1.gif

woralak

Your not from that neck of the woods.

I came from Sunderland many moons ago. :)

Hi!

Think this one is pretty good to.

http://www.thai-flas...user-videos.php

Thanks, love that site. I can speak some Japanese, some Korean, but Thai is so difficult for me. Tongue not cooperative. I say a lot of words and wife still does not understand what I am saying.

Try this it may help you with your uncooperative tongue, why i bonnie lad.

eng-geord-title1.gif

woralak

Your not from that neck of the woods.

I came from Sunderland many moons ago. :)

Sorry it's not your fault your a Macem, i'm from Ashington (proper Geordie) Bobby Charlton country.:whistling::lol::sorry: :jap:

Cheers Lizard.

I don't know whether to start a new thread and call it "Northern Thai Dictionary Mark2" or just go off and have a little weep.

Actually, surprising, we get a few people here usually all too ready to tell you about their Thai skills and the silence is currently deafening.

Once again, this is the best Kham Mueang to English work I've seen and with just a little work I think it could be something worth while for people interested in the LOCAL language.

I don't know whether to start a new thread and call it "Northern Thai Dictionary Mark2" or just go off and have a little weep.

Actually, surprising, we get a few people here usually all too ready to tell you about their Thai skills and the silence is currently deafening.

Once again, this is the best Kham Mueang to English work I've seen and with just a little work I think it could be something worth while for people interested in the LOCAL language.

Well I'm currently in Sunderland , just off to the Gym next to the 'Stadium of Light' dont' know if I should be laughing or crying :(

but back on Topic, ..... What about VF ! . He's always up for improving our language skills !?

Hi Scea,

I am definitely interested, but I don't see any links in your post...?? Were they supposed to be there, or is this an 'invite only' thing?

Either way, I would love to take a look...

Cheers,

M

Well I'm currently in Sunderland , just off to the Gym next to the 'Stadium of Light' dont' know if I should be laughing or crying :(

but back on Topic, ..... What about VF ! . He's always up for improving our language skills !?

So who will be playing??

• 1 month later...

Would this link be to the Peace Corps's Northern-Central Thai Dictionary? I've retyped it bar examples and introduction, and have made a first pass at working out the tones. I'm hoping to gather contributions via the topic Does anyone know the Thai northern dialect?. We're allowed to use Thai on the Thai Language forum.

If it isn't, I too would like to have a look at Sceadugenga's dictionary, with a view to helping in its repair.

Yes it's that Peace Corp publication.

There are some others looking at it, konjianghai, mistephenso and AjarnP, with a view to working on it if you want to contact them.

I'd really like to see it finished and made available to people living in the north.

Unfortunately I have virtually no written Thai at all so am unable to contribute in that field.

• 4 months later...

As we finally got my efforts at http://homepage.ntlw..._dictionary.pdf linked to by a moderator (Meadish Sweetball) in http://www.thaivisa....ct/page__st__50 , progress or lack thereof can now more easily be discussed in open forum. So here is my progress report.

The PDF now contains the full Thai text of the dictionary, and I have done a first pass of also transliterating the first 20 pages of the original dictionary. The example text links to the entries for the original words, both for the easy propagation of corrections and to give readers some help with the vocabulary. (I got both ideas off Glenn Slayden at thai-language.com.) I have not transliterated sentences for which I am not confident that I have identified all the words.

My copy of the full text of the next 29 pages of the original is riddled with errors, but most of these will be automatically correctly as I progress the transliteration. I'm going quite slowly, as each page takes a full evening's work. I am having a lot of trouble with the tones, as can be seen by the question marks. Typical problems are:

• What happens to the tones of presyllables? Are they lost as in Central Thai?
  • A lot of words in the examples are spelt as in Central Thai although the expected tone would be annotated differently if the word was in the dictionary. For example, I've got examples of [M]kin apparently meaning 'eat', although the vocabulary list gives the expected [R]kin meaning 'eat'. I've got lots of examples of what is written as [L]kap 'with', but the vocabulary entry writes the word as [H]gab (with mai tri), though of course the word is actually [R]gab. (I'm notating the tones according to the Chiang Mai phonetics and identification of 5 Chiang Mai tones with Central Thai - different reading rules are needed for Chiang Rai, rather like the situation with English vowels across the English speaking world.)

Help with the tones would be appreciated, and will be acknowledged where used.

I'm composing the transcription and annotation in Open Office, and the .odt file has the same URL as the PDF except for the extension. It's easier to navigate the PDF, though conceivably there may be advantages to opening the .odt file in Word!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Richard W -

I like your Northern Thai Dictionary, and hope you will continue to develop this worthwhile project!

I particularly like these features: using Thai script to represent Kam Mueang sounds; using tone marks (wannayuk) to approximate Chiang Mai pronunciation; using Royal Institute's standard transliteration system; using numbers 1-6 to identify Kam Mueang tones; and including Central Thai equivalents, written in Thai. Nice work!

In future editions, I hope you will add more adjectives with intensifiers.

Edited by Mekong Bob

Richard W -

I like your Northern Thai Dictionary, and hope you will continue to develop this worthwhile project!

I particularly like these features: using Thai script to represent Kam Mueang sounds; using tone marks (wannayuk) to approximate Chiang Mai pronunciation; using Royal Institute's standard transliteration system; using numbers 1-6 to identify Kam Mueang tones; and including Central Thai equivalents, written in Thai. Nice work!

In future editions, I hope you will add more adjectives with intensifiers.

Also like to see more nouns with classifiers.

I note an error in your entry for the ethnic group "Hmong, Miao, Meo" ("Hmong" is preferred term).

The Central Thai spelling is แม้ว, not แมว (that's the word for cat!) but ม้ง is the common, modern-day term used in Thai newspapers when referring to this group. You may want to include the other major ethnic minority highland groups in Northern Thailand in your dictionary as well, viz., Mian ("Yao"); Karen; Lahu; Lisu; and Akha . Other groups: Chinese Haw; Shan; and Wa.

Interested in comments about the Lanna (Kam Mueang) - Thai dictionary published by Mae Fa Luang University:

T26621/2004 - Udom Rungruangsri - US$30.00

Photchananukrom Lanna-Thai, Chabap Maefaluang

Dictionary of Lanna-Thai: Mae Fa Luang, (Chiang Mai, 2004)

Does anyone have a copy of this one? Your comments, please, on the format, use of Thai script for Kam Mueang entries, etc.

Is this dictionary available for sale in Chiang Rai bookstores? Which ones?

Thanks!

from the Chiang Mai Forum

snapback.pngkeo, on Today, 13:48 , said:

There's another thread in the Thai Language forum...

http://www.thaivisa....rthern dialect

with a couple of useful links, lots of linguistic babble, and a bit of bickering thrown in for good measure...

http://homepage.ntlw..._dictionary.pdf

http://www.eric.ed.g...FS/ED401729.pdf

reply from Mekong Bob:

Thanks very much for these links, Keo!

I will now take this 50-page list of kam-mueang terms and phrases, re-enter all (Thai and English) in a Microsoft Word document, add romanized Thai and tones (numbered), and go from there. No linguistic babble in this version, guaranteed!

Edited by Mekong Bob