Can You Recommend A Dog Trainer?

trigger571

Hi all,

Eight months ago I got a dog from Soi Dog foundation as a puppy. We did all we know we could to get this very badly behaved dog clean up it's act, but as it grows older it just got worse and worse, not only by being highly destructive, but even attacking our cats which were here before she came. We cannot take her out anywhere as she just constantly barks at people not to mention having guests at home is a nightmare too because she just pees everywhere, barks and jumps all over them (this time out of joy).

Today, I had to, very reluctantly take her back to the foundation as she nearly killed one of our cats twice in a week. Being an ardent animal lover this goes against every principal of mine, but right now, I can think of no other option.

Anyway, the reason for this post is, does anyone know of a good dog trainer who might get her under control? If she behaves, I would only be too glad to bring her back home.

Thanks

M

Better still, try watching 'The Dog Whisperer' on cable TV.

It teaches you pretty much all you need to know about dogs without paying for a 'trainer'.

You've given up your dog already, so the dog is obviously not important to you.

Next time around, watch the Dog Whisperer beforehand and learn to deal with the 'situations' that arise with your cat.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phuketdogschool.com%2F&rct=j&q=phuket%20international%20dog%20school&ei=gfh-Tt-vEsiu8gPL5eGlAQ&usg=AFQjCNEyzibbS2lMvx02eBjtRqGqSCuotw&sig2=U-Cjxwh6RPkbFKEkkiLBGA&cad=rja

I used these guys before and the results were brilliant, however very difficult to train an older dog, hence the quote "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" but credit to you for your perseverance and i hope you can calm her down and take her back. Far too many homeless dogs on the Island....

http://www.google.co...kkiLBGA&cad=rja

I used these guys before and the results were brilliant, however very difficult to train an older dog, hence the quote "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" but credit to you for your perseverance and i hope you can calm her down and take her back. Far too many homeless dogs on the Island....

took over a 3 year old rottweiler male in march/april this year, and we still have a few issues. patiens, patiens and its my 4th rottweiler

http://www.google.co...kkiLBGA&cad=rja

took over a 3 year old rottweiler male in march/april this year, and we still have a few issues. patiens, patiens and its my 4th rottweiler

I have to agree. Almost any dog can be trained at any age. Just as important as the beach bum says patience, I would add consistency to the mix. Never allow a dog to disobey you. Like earlier said learning how dogs hierarchy works is vital and the Dog Whisperer episodes are good for that. A dogs aggression towards a cat is instinctive and a normal trait. Aggression towards people should not be allowed, unless you are working a dog with attack work. Not for beginners. I don't mean to ramble here but kinda "thinking out loud". I got my 5th Rotty recently and it is a full time job until they are trained and then you can relax a little more. I was a sentry dog handler in the army during the Viet Nam war and worked with insane dogs. For the record, me and my dog guarded Nike Hercules missiles . Many times a sentry dog worked the "point" on recon patrols. No enemy ever got within a quarter mile of a patrol without the dog alerting. They also were good at detecting various tripwires and claymores, etc. Anyway back on track...if you want a dog to get along with cats it is better to get a very young dog and socialize it with cats early on. Good luck with your future dogs.